• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Love the old, Hate the new?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
This is not exclusive to Final Fantasy. Just about every long-running franchise has this kind of fanbase. Look at the way people hated on Zelda Windwaker when it came out and how everyone loves it now. The only franchise I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't get this reaction with every new game is Metal Gear Solid.

As for me, I like to see all the new changes with each new Final Fantasy. It shows progress.

agree with this, fans hate changes and sometimes I agree. If you have a awesome franchise, why suddenly change everything. a lot of sequels would probably be better of as just a stand alone game. in FF however I think it's good with changes and new ideas. it's not following up on the same story all the time so if someone don't want to play *insert ff here* they don't have to suffer for not knowing the story.
Then all the games in the FF VII franchise have completely different gameplay but I like that as well, it gives you a chance to see the world from a lot of different angels and can introduce new fans to the series (not likely). also they didn't make 3 classic ffvii and then a shooter, everything is different so it adds up

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
Actually, the story is pretty well constructed.

It just doesn't have nearly as much melodrama and the characters are developed through interaction but by motivation.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Actually, the story is pretty well constructed.

It just doesn't have nearly as much melodrama and the characters are developed through interaction but by motivation.

I thought the story has fallen apart later on the game because something about either the writer or the direction leaving (because of some executive meddling like making Vaan a main character instead of a side character) or is that overblown criticism?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
What I would suggest with Gambits is to use them to creatively play with the UI rather than automate everything menial like attacking and healing.

One thing I thought was fun was to give each character a sort of job or affinity with their gambits. Such as Penelo being a healer or Basch being only physical-oriented. I even gave each character an elemental affinity at one point.

It's wonderfully fun to play around with, and I would recommend it.

Soundsawesomewilldothisonmynextplaythroughthankyousham.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I kinda like the old games, but I didn't like VII or VIII. The storyline of both bored me after a while. :( even though I been told to keep at it and enjoy it, I just can't. I am trying them again though.

For the new ones, the only one I have hated is FFXII. Same reason as above. It bored me and because I kinda didn't level up well. I've have been trying to replay this again to see if I can do it better.

The only games I enjoyed were, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFIX, FFX and FFXIII.

Decrith

I've played most main series titles except VII, X & XI. And I loved them all, each one of them made me cry inside. I even both the remakes(remaster?) of the games PSP versions of I & II, DS version of III, PSP version of IV w/ complete collection, etc. etc.

Basically I replayed them all, recently, I didn't let nostalgia get the best of me, and I have to say that I really love the new titles, especially XIII-2 because no matter what those nostalgic haters say, they do their best to give you something fresh.

Final Fantasy Fan For Life! xD

Tails_Night

Bronze Member
I do like the feel , sound, and graphics of old, and I like a lot of the new, although with XIII taking a completely different route from what I'm used to is a little hard for me to accept but it's still rather cool. I just hope at some point they return to eh dissidia/VIII design for Ifirit, that was the right mix of man and beast.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I think people complained about Final Fantasy XIII was because it felt like a long dark forced tunnel until you reached access to a wider and more free area. So in other words, most hated it for half of its game. That's where the game actually seemed to have progress. Paradigm Shifts aren't to be confused with jobs from older Final Fantasys because they don't work the same way.

I never understood the hate for XII. I think it was because some characters felt like they were bystanding in the storyline like Vaan and Penelo. It's best to think of XII as a game of exploration. I liked having to travel to random places I never knew I was underleveled/secret/etc. Hmm as for the Gambit/License board, it was only bad if you weren't decisive/creative enough to think of roles for your characters. If you can overcome this, it's a very rewarding concept. I like to think of Ashe and Penelo as the mages and it worked very well from there on. Actually, I would like another Ivalice based game. I want a Nu Mou as a party member. I always wanted that. Lol. I think it was really weird that the strongest water spell was just Water; no access to Watera, Waterga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back