• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lots of questions about Keyblade and Keyblade Inheritance?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

reimeille

(I'm not sure where to put this but since Keyblade inheritance is mostly shown in BBS I decided to try here... please move it if not! *gets on knees and claps hands together*)

I'm reaaally lost on the whole idea of Keyblade inheriting and I've had these questions for for a long time, I was thinking maybe people here could help? I know it's a lot and you don't have to answer them all but OMG SINCE PLAYING THEM ALL OVER WITH THE REMIXES I REALISED NOTHING MAKES SENSE TO ME

1. Okay so, Terra properly handed down his Keyblade for Riku to inherit it but Sora ended up recieving it instead because Riku left too soon or something? So then where did Riku's come from? (this might have been explained in KH but I'm an idiot whoops).
  2. When it is "inheriting": is it to give up the entire ability to wield (the master won't have the ability anymore), giving the ability to wield (without the master giving his own ability away), or is it just giving a certain keyblade?(I don't think the last one is it because Sora got the Kingdom Key when Terra performed the ceremony with Earthshaker right)
  3. When was Riku supposed to inherit it and did anything happen to Terra when it happened (to Sora)? What would trigger it to appear? I'm assuming considering the time Sora got his, that it appears just when you'll need it, but idk
  4. What exactly triggered Kairi of all people to inherit Aqua's keyblade? I know she touched it, but what made the decision that "oh ok inheritance time haha yeah" if Aqua wasn't consciously doing it? And, I've heard that the key she used in KHII wasn't the one she inherited, it's from Riku. Can someone explain that?
  5. Sora, Roxas and Xion's dual-wielding are all the same keyblades, right (Sora and Ventus's)?

And some questions because I never finished KH3D:

1. Since it's been said now that nobodies can get their own hearts, what happened to Roxas's and Axel's hearts when they became part of their somebodies? Does Sora now have like, 3 freaking hearts?
  2. If Roxas's heart is with Sora, can they all triple-wield now? Even though how on earth would they do that unless they have prehensile feet pfffftttt.
  3. Can someone tell me if it was explained where Lea's keyblade comes from? Did he inherit it or did he get one just because his heart was worthy of one?
  4. And if he did get it just because his heart was worthy, then omg why do they even have an inheritance ceremony if u can just get one anyways

I have like, another ton of questions but this is just what I have for Keyblades. Thanks for any help in advance omg pls

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Okay so, Terra properly handed down his Keyblade for Riku to inherit it but Sora ended up recieving it instead because Riku left too soon or something? So then where did Riku's come from? (this might have been explained in KH but I'm an idiot whoops).

The Sora-Riku-Kingdom Key transfer is a little complicated. The KK, intended for Riku, was meant to appear to him on the night Destiny Islands was attacked. However, if you recall that scene when Riku offers his hand to Sora and darkness begins to engulf them - that's actually Riku's darkness. That light that flashes afterwards is Riku's light. Sora touched that light and was able to gain temporary ownership of the KK as its intended wielder became unavailable, so think of it up until that point as Sora merely borrowing it.

It wasn't until Hollow Bastion when Sora proved his heart to be stronger than Riku's, and the KK itself chose him over its original wielder.

When it is "inheriting": is it to give up the entire ability to wield (the master won't have the ability anymore), giving the ability to wield (without the master giving his own ability away), or is it just giving a certain keyblade?(I don't think the last one is it because Sora got the Kingdom Key when Terra performed the ceremony with Earthshaker right)

The Rite of Succession is like a recommendation letter from the Master to a potential successor. They are merely passing on the ability to wield (the Master does not lose any ability) and making it more likely for the successor to receive a Keyblade of their own, although there are no guarantees that they will.

When was Riku supposed to inherit it and did anything happen to Terra when it happened (to Sora)? What would trigger it to appear? I'm assuming considering the time Sora got his, that it appears just when you'll need it, but idk

It was supposed to appear to Riku when DI was attacked (previously mentioned darkness, flash of light etc from #1). We can assume a whole mess of requirements are necessary for it to appear, such as proving yourself worthy (Riku with Way to Dawn for example), when the Keyblade itself chooses to (KH1 Hollow Bastion with Sora), you get the idea. Nothing happened to Terra.

What exactly triggered Kairi of all people to inherit Aqua's keyblade? I know she touched it, but what made the decision that "oh ok inheritance time haha yeah" if Aqua wasn't consciously doing it? And, I've heard that the key she used in KHII wasn't the one she inherited, it's from Riku. Can someone explain that?

That is not Aqua's Keyblade. Aqua's Keyblade currently remains locked within the Chamber of Repose with her armor. There's no explanation as to what exactly happened, but the most common and likely theory is that it is Riku's borrowed Keyblade (note that at that time, remnants of Xehanort still remained within Riku, thereby giving him access to Xehanort's Keyblade.) Xehanort's Keyblade was shaped by Riku's memories of the islands and Kairi by association - stated in the novels which are considered secondary canon - thereby appearing as Destiny's Embrace (Aqua received the Destiny's Embrace keychain upon her meeting with Kairi, so you can connect the dots there).

tl;dr - that Keyblade does not belong to Kairi. Obviously, another wielder can't just pull someone else's Keyblade out of thin air and hand it over like "here you go". It has to be earned and awakened by themselves.

Sora, Roxas and Xion's dual-wielding are all the same keyblades, right (Sora and Ventus's)?

Yep, but Xion's Keyblade was a sham, just as Riku stated in their meeting at Beast's Castle.

1. Since it's been said now that nobodies can get their own hearts, what happened to Roxas's and Axel's hearts when they became part of their somebodies? Does Sora now have like, 3 freaking hearts?

Axel (the Nobody) and Lea's Heartless have rejoined and Lea has returned. He has his own, original heart. They're definitely setting up that Roxas and Xion will gain their own hearts so that they can exist as individuals, but right now, we can assume they're just lying deep within Sora.

If Roxas's heart is with Sora, can they all triple-wield now? Even though how on earth would they do that unless they have prehensile feet pfffftttt.

No. At the end of the day, Roxas was still using Sora and Ven's Keyblades. If you use the special reaction command during Roxas's FM exclusive boss battle, Sora will wield one Keyblade and the other two will levitate around him and be controlled free-handed.

Can someone tell me if it was explained where Lea's keyblade comes from? Did he inherit it or did he get one just because his heart was worthy of one?

Either Yen Sid or Mickey performed the Rite of Succession on him. Nobody gave Lea their Keyblade; he was able to awaken his own.

And if he did get it just because his heart was worthy, then omg why do they even have an inheritance ceremony if u can just get one anyways

They did perform the ceremony. Sora is the only Keyblade wielder who has never undergone the Rite of Succession.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Okay so, Terra properly handed down his Keyblade for Riku to inherit it but Sora ended up recieving it instead because Riku left too soon or something? So then where did Riku's come from? (this might have been explained in KH but I'm an idiot whoops).
Nonono, Keyblades are not handed down unless they're of special value like the Master Keeper (Eraqus' Keyblade). Terra passed down the rite to Riku, which was just to give Riku a stronger possibility of eventually being able to summon his own personal Keyblade.

Sora received it instead, because he pretty much stole it accidentally when Riku was falling to darkness. The scene where Riku is literally being swallowed by the darkness on Destiny Islands, there is a brief glimpse of Sora reaching for a light. That was when it happened.

Sora ended up earning this Keyblade as his own, through his journey in KH1. Riku then had to earn himself a Keyblade once again. Riku earned the Way to the Dawn.

When it is "inheriting": is it to give up the entire ability to wield (the master won't have the ability anymore), giving the ability to wield (without the master giving his own ability away), or is it just giving a certain keyblade?(I don't think the last one is it because Sora got the Kingdom Key when Terra performed the ceremony with Earthshaker right)
It's neither. Inheriting is inheriting the ability to wield/summon a Keyblade. The Keyblade wielder needs to summon their own personal Keyblade, because though they can borrow someone else's Keyblade (Sora using Riku's in KH1) it doesn't truly belong to them unless they manage to summon their own.

When was Riku supposed to inherit it and did anything happen to Terra when it happened (to Sora)? What would trigger it to appear? I'm assuming considering the time Sora got his, that it appears just when you'll need it, but idk
It's not entirely clear what the conditions are for a Keyblade to manifest. Nothing happened to Terra though, because of the reasons explained above.

What exactly triggered Kairi of all people to inherit Aqua's keyblade? I know she touched it, but what made the decision that "oh ok inheritance time haha yeah" if Aqua wasn't consciously doing it? And, I've heard that the key she used in KHII wasn't the one she inherited, it's from Riku. Can someone explain that?
Again, Kairi did not inherit Aqua's personal Keyblade. Aqua's Keyblade is sitting in Radiant Gardens along with her armor. Being that Aqua was a Master, Kairi touching her Keyblade was enough to perform the rite. It gave Kairi the ability to wield, though it is unclear as of right now if the Destiny's Embrace Keyblade is going to be Kairi's actual Keyblade or if she will be summing a new one.

Well, Riku literally handed her a Keyblade in KH2. If it were hers, she would have summoned it on her own. So, you have to have two hearts residing in your body to dual-wield. Throughout KH2, Sora can dual-wield because of Ven's heart (couldn't do this before because Ven's heart was with Roxas). Riku had Xehanort's darkness, aka his heart, residing in him since KH1. This allowed Riku to summon a second Keyblade.

Sora, Roxas and Xion's dual-wielding are all the same keyblades, right (Sora and Ventus's)?
Sora uses his own and Ven's. Roxas' uses Sora's throughout Days and then also Ven's after Xion dies (strong emotions felt by losing Xion woke up Ven's sleeping heart and allowed Roxas to summon his Keyblade). Xion was using Roxas' (Sora's) Keyblade, this is possible because she was stealing power from Roxas just by existing. While she can wield, his Keyblade gets weaker. The only time she dualwields is during the boss battle with her so god only knows but she wasn't actually dualwielding like Sora and Roxas.

Since it's been said now that nobodies can get their own hearts, what happened to Roxas's and Axel's hearts when they became part of their somebodies? Does Sora now have like, 3 freaking hearts?
Well, Axel is Lea again so he regained his whole heart. Nothing really happened to the one he was forming... Sora is literally walking around with Ven, Roxas and Xion inside of him. Literally.

If Roxas's heart is with Sora, can they all triple-wield now? Even though how on earth would they do that unless they have prehensile feet pfffftttt.
They all? Roxas can't do anything, lol. Xion can't do anything. They've returned to Sora. Sora actually does briefly triple-wield in his Limit form in KH2, so...

[video=youtube;5sS6Np4f8ZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sS6Np4f8ZY[/video]

Can someone tell me if it was explained where Lea's keyblade comes from? Did he inherit it or did he get one just because his heart was worthy of one?
Unclear, but safe to assume either Mickey or Yen Sid performed the rite to speed the process along.

And if he did get it just because his heart was worthy, then omg why do they even have an inheritance ceremony if u can just get one anyways
Well your heart plays a big factor regardless. You need to be worthy to have a Keyblade. Riku stopped being worthy of the Kingdom Key so it left him for someone who had earned the right to have it. As far as we know, Sora is the only character who had to earn his Keyblade with no prior advantages given to him. The inheritance ceremony is there to ensure the world keeps having Keyblade wielders, so as not to leave things up to chance.

reimeille

Whoa-hoah! It's going to take a couple times of reading for all of this to sink in, but you just solved like, years of confusion for me in one post! Thank you sooo much! ( ᐛ )

edit: ooh another post appeared when i made mine :O i have to read that one now but thank you also!!!

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm currently using my tablet which can be a pain to type on so I'll keep my responses short. My apologies if they're not clear enough.

Sora accidentally "stole" Riku's Keyblade when he tried to reach for him during the fall of DI. Riku eventually got another Keyblade nt it's not entirely clear when he got it other than it was some time during KH2.

There's a lot of misconception with this one but nothing is actually "given up" despite the title (it's actually a bit of a misnomer). It's the second one: the master grants the ability but losses nothing. They keep their ability and their Keyblade.

It's not really made clear when someone's Keyblade is supposed to pop up. If ever. Theoretically, a person might never get their Keyblade if one doesn't choose them or it's difficult to obtain. I doubt anything happens to the bequether.

The Keyblade Riku pulled out in KH2 is mysterious but Kairi doesn't seem to technically have a Keyblade yet. The most common consensus is that Riku was dual wielding and allowed Kairi to borrow it. The only requirements to initiate the ceremony is for the Keyblade's owner to be of master level and for someone else of adequate strength to hold it at the same time. Aqua's a master Kairi's a PoH which means instant heart OP. BADA BOOM! Ceremony achieved.

When Sora and Roxas dual wield they Sora's and Ven's Keyblades. Xion got hers out of a Cracker-Jack box or something.

Since it's been said now that nobodies can get their own hearts, what happened to Roxas's and Axel's hearts when they became part of their somebodies? Does Sora now have like, 3 freaking hearts?

Sora's currently heart-pregnant with AT LEAST two other hearts besides his own. Axel probably started to grow a heart but since he wasn't that different from Lea, they most likely assemalated.

Roxas doesn't have his own Keyblade but they could always use their mouths like that one guy from One Piece. It apparently worked well enough for him.

It's implied that either Mickey or Yen Sid performed the ceremony.

Apparently, you can get a Keyblade without the ceremony, but it's rrrreeeeaaallllyyy rare. Sora's actually the only person to get one without a ceremony because his circumstances were so bizarre.

reimeille

Well, Axel is Lea again so he regained his whole heart.
I mean, what happens to Axel's own heart (the one that he gained) because of that? Does it disappear or is it within Lea? I guess considering what you said about Roxas's that his is the same thing.

They all? Roxas can't do anything, lol. Xion can't do anything. They've returned to Sora. Sora actually does briefly triple-wield in his Limit form in KH2, so...

I was meaning like, if they were to separate. If Roxas were to exist on his own again, would he be able to triple-wield (but that's assuming that he gains keyblade wielding ability for himself to make the third, though, so lol).

I haven't gotten to that part in KH2FM and otherwise I haven't played KH2 since freshman year of highschool! :O So I don't remember this... so that's cool, but where did that third one come from?

There's a lot of misconception with this one but nothing is actually "given up" despite the title (it's actually a bit of a misnomer). It's the second one: the master grants the ability but losses nothing. They keep their ability and their Keyblade.

Yeah, that's where the confusion came from for me lol I figured that "inheriting" meant that something was given up (if I remember correctly someone said they don't even use this term, but "bequeathing" in KH3D, which also is just as incorrect pffttt).

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I mean, what happens to Axel's own heart (the one that he gained) because of that? Does it disappear or is it within Lea? I guess considering what you said about Roxas's that his is the same thing.
It's just one whole heart now.

I was meaning like, if they were to separate. If Roxas were to exist on his own again, would he be able to triple-wield (but that's assuming that he gains keyblade wielding ability for himself to make the third, though, so lol).

I haven't gotten to that part in KH2FM and otherwise I haven't played KH2 since freshman year of highschool! :O So I don't remember this... so that's cool, but where did that third one come from?
No, when they separate no one will even be able to dualwield. Roxas and Xion will have to earn their own Keyblades as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how canonical that form is, lol. It happens but whether or not it was just done because it's cool (this is most of KH2) or because Sora manages to tap into either Roxas or Xion's budding hearts is not confirmed.

reimeille

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how canonical that form is, lol. It happens but whether or not it was just done because it's cool (this is most of KH2) or because Sora manages to tap into either Roxas or Xion's budding hearts is not confirmed.

Ok that makes sense haha
Thank you again to everyone for answering! This is really helpful to me aahhhhh

Sometime in the future I still have questions about other things (pfftt) but thank you for all of this :)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
If Roxas were to exist on his own again, would he be able to triple-wield (but that's assuming that he gains keyblade wielding ability for himself to make the third, though, so lol).

That is not how it works. Neither Roxas, nor Xion nor even Sora will be able to even dual-wield anymore.

In order to dual-wield, two hearts need to be present but when Ventus is restored as well as Roxas and Xion getting their own existences back, Sora will be back to just one heart again and thus he would only be able to wield one Keyblade at the same time.
Mickey also owns two Keyblades, his original one (Star Seeker) and the blade he found in the Realm of Darkness (Kingdom Key D) and yet he wields always only one of the two because he has no second heart in order to wield them both together.

However, with the ability of Keyblade Transformation it may be possible to split a single Keyblade and do a sort of pseudo-dual wielding, thus retaining the general concept of it.

Roxas and Sora can wield Sora's Keyblade at the same time due to their special relationship, which essentially means the Keyblade can exist in two places at once. Knowing this, the Keyblades in question would be Sora's Keyblade x2 plus Ven's Keyblade.
The fight where Sora can "triple-wield" in KH2 FM takes place inside his heart however, so it is also feasible that normal rules of "reality" do not apply because the heart stations are situated in a different plane of existence.

reimeille

That is not how it works. Neither Roxas, nor Xion nor even Sora will be able to even dual-wield anymore.

In order to dual-wield, two hearts need to be present but when Ventus is restored as well as Roxas and Xion getting their own existences back, Sora will be back to just one heart again and thus he would only be able to wield one Keyblade at the same time.

Oh I know, but I'm talking about the current point where Ventus's heart is still present. I was saying theoretically like if Roxas was separate again right now (taking Ventus's heart with him, again); and then if he were able to wield another keyblade with the power of hisown heart. Or Xion. I just wanted to know if triple-wielding was possible (and then Taochan showed me the limit which may or may not mean my idea was correct).

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Oh I know, but I'm talking about the current point where Ventus's heart is still present. I was saying theoretically like if Roxas was separate again right now (taking Ventus's heart with him, again); and then if he were able to wield another keyblade with the power of hisown heart. Or Xion. I just wanted to know if triple-wielding was possible (and then Taochan showed me the limit which may or may not mean my idea was correct).

Even then it would only possible to dual-wield because of two hearts.
To triple-wield, one would need to have three hearts and of course also three Keyblades in the mix.

Theoretically in the current "configuration", Sora would be qualified to actually Quad-wield because there are four hearts in the equation: Sora's own, Ventus', Roxas' and Xion's.
They are all located in Sora right now and qualified to wield a Keyblade. However there are only two Keyblades available, Sora's and Ven's. Xion's Keyblade was a sham and fake and Roxas used mainly Sora's.
Roxas' and Xion's hearts may be qualified for Keyblade use, but no Keyblade has chosen them yet (which is pretty plausible since right now they do not have their own existences as their essences/hearts are put into storage inside Sora) so they don't have their own Keyblades.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
I find a good way to think about it is sheaths and swords. Right now, Sora has four sheaths but only two swords. Barring the fight he has with Roxas in his mind/heart, he can ever only pull out those two swords.

As people begin to split from Sora, they take their sheaths with them, including Ventus, who's sheath hols his sword, until Sora is back down to one heart and one key.

The only problem I see with this metaphor is Aqua. At the end of BbS, she picks up Eraqus' keyblade and later, when she sends Terranort back to the Realm of Light with hers, she uses Master Keeper. But what about all that time in between? How was she able to possess two keyblades with only one heart? Would she have been able to dual wielded during this time (assuming she could learn the synch blade ability)?

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, didn't Mickey have both the Light Seeker and Starseeker keyblades at the same time? Are there different rules for Keyblades from different Realms or is my sword sheath thing just a bad metaphor?

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Your metaphor isn't bad just....lacking more specification. The Master Keeper and Aqua's keyblades are both Realm of Light, right now the only keyblade that we know of that's a confirmed dark realm keyblade is Mickey's Kingdom Key D.

It seems a person can hold more than one keyblade in their "holster" but only draw one at a time unless they have multiple hearts, or to fit metaphor, "hands" to hold said swords with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back