• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Looking for SPRITE ARTISTS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Hey there!

As the title suggests, I'm looking for sprite artists. Reason for this is a project you may (or may not) remember as the "KHI makes a Kingdom Hearts game" project. For those of you who don't remember, this project started off as a hypothetical game where people here had to discuss what they would do if they were to make a Kingdom Hearts game themselves. But as discussions grew, people started to want to make the actual game they were hypotheticaly creating. Now, 3 years later, the project is still alive (albeit, somewhere else) and we are in need for a couple of more people to lighten our current workload.

Some of you probably think: after 3 years you're still in pre-prod? Well, so far we've spent most of our time writing scripts, character designs, ... but all with a 3D action-RPG in mind, just like the main games. However, this became too difficult for us to manage so we decided a couple of months ago to take a step back and go with a different approach. Now, we're aiming for something similar to this (skip to around 3:00):

[video=youtube;iL83mf3xXEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL83mf3xXEI[/video]

We're still thinking of ways to make our game less linear than that one, but you get the point: a sidescroller hack 'n slash game with some RPG elements (think Muramasa, Trine, Dragon's Crown, etc.)

Now, obviously, we don't want to get a C&D from Square-Enix so we've decided early on to do everything ourselves. We won't be using any materials from already existing games (like f.e. editing the sprites from the original CoM).

For those who are interested in helping out, PM me and I'll send you a link to our forum (where we secretly develop our fangame and discuss world domination). If any of you have more questions about this project or feel like they need to know more before deciding whether or not to join, feel free to ask me.

Anyways, thanks for taking your time to read this thread. I realize that fangame projects aren't the most attractive projects to join as most of them end up nowhere but I can only speak for us that we're very passionate about this and take the realization of the game serious (and I personally think the fact that we've been working on this for 3 years proofs this).

EDIT: to give you an idea of what you'd be working with, here are some character designs we've done:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

And here are some mock-ups we've done:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

YnorRon

That looks beautiful! I am also working on a team to create a 2d KH game. We've been working on it none-stop for close to a year now and we're just about to release. We should get together and maybe collaborate ?! :D

You can check our game out hurrr: Keyblade Warriors by Travylleb at BYOND Games
Tell us if you like it. What's currently up for download is a small demo made a couple months into the development, the online product we have now is BEAUTIFUL compared to that demo. :}

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
That looks beautiful! I am also working on a team to create a 2d KH game. We've been working on it none-stop for close to a year now and we're just about to release. We should get together and maybe collaborate ?! :D

You can check our game out hurrr: Keyblade Warriors by Travylleb at BYOND Games
Tell us if you like it. What's currently up for download is a small demo made a couple months into the development, the online product we have now is BEAUTIFUL compared to that demo. :}

Fun concept, especially looking forward to how it will play out with the online capabilities. I'm also intrigued by the ability to choose "light or darkness". Keep up the good work, I'll definitely check out the final product! :)

As for the collab, thanks for the offer! We can use all the help we can get so I'd be a fool to not accept your help. PM me, if you're interested, and I'll give you the details!

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Fun concept, especially looking forward to how it will play out with the online capabilities. I'm also intrigued by the ability to choose "light or darkness". Keep up the good work, I'll definitely check out the final product! :)

As for the collab, thanks for the offer! We can use all the help we can get so I'd be a fool to not accept your help. PM me, if you're interested, and I'll give you the details!

IF I knew how to do sprite art, I'd jump on this. The unfortunate fact is I do not :p

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Will do man. Will do.

Good lad. Appreciate it!

Anyways, I just finished a new mock-up. I figured that I might as well post it here:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Obviously, some parts are rough but it's a mock-up for a reason. Mind you, these mechanics are just ideas at the moment. They'll most likely change when programming starts.

Last edited:

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
IF I knew how to do sprite art, I'd jump on this. The unfortunate fact is I do not :p

I just want to point out, this isn't a pixel sprite thing. So you really only need to know how to draw/paint digitally, and understand the basics of animation. Most sprites can be broken down like so: The Spriters Resource - Full Sheet View - Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Guy Obviously a more experienced artist would be tasked with making sprites for the main cast, but it doesn't really take much experience to make sprites for something like a basic shadow heartless or a waterfall.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
^ Exactly. Anyone with digital drawing skills can basically help out one way or another. For sprites, obviously, knowledge of animation is crucial. But it can be learned fairly easy through practice (there are a lot of tutorials out there specifically for animation). And of course, there are also existing sprite sheets to draw inspiration from.

Anyways, I made another mock-up. This time, I wondered how cutscenes could look like in a sidescroller game:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This will also probably be the last one I post here, as I've covered most of the things where sprites are used (gameplay and cutscenes). Obviously, the sprites wouldn't be nearly as detailed as the designs I use in the mock-ups. In fact, we still haven't really decided on the overall artstyle for the game, which is something I'd like to discuss along with the people responsible for backgrounds and sprites when we have enough people on board for that.

Our goal is to approach the level of detail as seen in the mock-ups as much as possible, but this may very well be in a very stylized artstyle (like KH X f.e.). All of that remains to be seen.

So again, if you feel like you can help out, let me know.

Last edited:

QuintusKing

Awards
Website
heart95key95.blogspot.com
Hello, nice to meet you! Wow, an ongoing fan game.

So it's a sidescroller game? The mock-ups don't look like the game's actual scenes. In the actual game, the sprites will have no borderlines, right? Because they don't fit very well to the background. Will you use the backgrounds as in the mock-ups, or will you draw them anew? And you don't want to use pixel sprites? I personally prefer pixel drawing because they look more 'valid' like CoM. If it were pixel drawing, I might be able to help because I've tried editing Megaman Battle Network sprites a few years ago. I know you don't want
to edit sprites, I'm just saying that I prefer pixel ones, even if you create on your own.

The characters' design looks neat! From what I see, is the character with Sora's haircut is a girl? I like them!

Is the storyline set? Because I've recently posted a game concept in the Creative Corner, and I wish it could be made into a game!

Last edited:

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Hey there!

First of all, thanks for the reply! Glad you like those character designs. The character with the Sora haircut is indeed a girl. We wanted to have a character that looked like Sora, but is in many ways nothing like him. The storyline is mostly set, yes. We've been mostly slaving away at that for the last three years so yeah. But the details still change as we continue writing the scripts so if an idea comes up and we feel like it would improve the story, we're still open to add it (as long as it doesn't take a lot of rewriting in order to fit it in, that is). The overarching plot is set in stone, though.

Yep, sidescroller hack 'n slash/rpg. The mock-ups are basically to visualise how the things could look like so I can say for certain that things won't look exactly like that. I've always wanted the cutscenes to kind of look like the cutscenes from Persona games, where during dialogue you see the 2D designs of the characters convey the emotions of the scene while, in the back, the in-game models "play" the scene. However, with this cutscene mock-up, I wondered how it would look if I just placed those 2D character designs in the actual scene. I'm aware that I overdid the linework on the main character, had some trouble colouring him in and making the lines still stand out. Obviously, that'll be fixed for the final sprite, I'm just currently using the concept art we made.

As for the backgrounds, I used images I found on the internet to make my mock-ups and the ones from "The Jungle Book" and "Atlantis" obviously belong to Disney, so we will be redoing those to use in the actual game. As for the one with the city in the background, that's actually someone else on our forums who was experimenting with 3D-renders of buildings and putting those in the back. I'd say the final product will be a mix between that and the stuff I've done.

Now, the style of the sprites.. I'm personally down with anything, but I would like them to be more detailed than the ones from CoM. The "problem" I have with those is that I can't really see much of the faces, other than the eyes. And, even though the character art in the dialogue boxes during scenes convey the emotions, I still feel like we should try to up the detail more, making them looks slightly more like their 3D counterparts. Keep in mind that the CoM devs were limited because of the GBA. We're developing a game that can be played on the computer so we have the possibility to add more detail. For example:

sora_kh2_by_ramzaneko-d5z9au1.png

This is already an amazing example of how things could look like. It's not as detailed as the "sprites" from the mock-ups (though, still quite detailed), but the body proportions are overall more realistic, making the f.e. the different parts of the face more distinguishable. But all in all, like I said, the style is something I'd like to discuss together with the sprite artists we recruit. That way, we can come up with a style that both looks good and is actually realizable.

Anyways, if you're still interested in helping out, let me know. However, I see you've been busy with a story yourself and you've written the script and everything. We actually could use some help to finish up the scripts as well so if you're interested in storywriting, we could actually use your help on that department!

Last edited:

QuintusKing

Awards
Website
heart95key95.blogspot.com
Oh, don't mention it. Fangames are rare, and good fangames are even rarer! Thank you guys for willing to create such a game!

So you take part in drawing sprites, too? You're doing a good job!

The city background looks realistic. If the final product's background is in 3D then it would be even nicer. Even if it's not, I do hope it will look like 3D! Or, like the background in Muramasa, divide it into several layers.

Yes, I agree with you that the sprites in CoM were limited by the system. It's great that you want to make them more detailed. The Sora you showed me is so lively, so close to his 3D figure! If this is going to be realized, I'm totally down with the development. Thanks for taking time to read my concept! I think I'm stuck with my own story, so nothing much is going on on my side.

Thank you for inviting me. I'm willing to join your development, and hopefully I can learn things from you guys! I'll will be sending you a PM shortly, so see you soon!

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Hey guys, little update here. We're currently trying to come up with the look of the sprites for our game. Since this thread serves as a way to recruit new people for that purpose, I thought it'd be cool to share what we've come up with:

5b8k9j.jpg

This piece, made by one of our members chuksxy, has a style that is based on the Kingdom Hearts X (Chi) artstyle but is made to look closer to the original character art. This is still the first version so undoubtly, the style will still change overtime.

If someone here thinks he can make sprites that look like the one above and is interested in helping us out, please, contact me :)

Also, we've started programming as well and have already built a foundation for the gameplay (our character can already run, jump, wall-jump, attack and crouch). Here's the latest one, made in Unity (by chuksxy):

[video=youtube;WzVEkisiV48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVEkisiV48[/video]

In this video, Chuksxy was playing around with AI-behaviour and physics. You can check out the other videos on his channel. Obviously, the player/enemy sprites won't be used for the game, they're only there to have something to play with while we're making the actual assets for the game.

If there are people here who can program (C#) and want to help out, feel free to contact me as well. We can use all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back