• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Music ► Local Music Scene

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Website
sites.google.com
So, I'll be real honest here, I'm posting this because Portugal. The Man is playing for free tomorrow, and I'm pumped about it.

Just wanted to see how the music scene is where you live. Living in Austin has been an awesome experience, I've been able to see a ton of people play live (Bon Iver, Coldplay, Foster the People, Tiesto, etc.) because there is always music in this town. I honestly wish I had more time (and money, concerts aren't cheap), if I did, I would be going to shows nearly every single day.

Where I grew up, well, that's a different story. Every once in awhile some low-key country group would go play at one of the local bars, but we had nothing of significance (well, the city tried to put on a "Starlight Music Festival," but the best thing that had to offer was an Eagles cover band...).

So yeah, talk to me. How's the music where you live?

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
Being a serious metalhead, living in the buckle of the Bible Belt really sucks. All we get are shitty [personal opinion] bands like 3oh!3, We Came as Romans, and the like. I'd love to see bands like Dream Theater, Slayer, Evile, and other prominent metal acts without having to travel to Texas.

Nov

Awards
All the bigger concerts concentrate on Helsinki pretty much but it's not like there's a huge artist playing there every weekend. It really depends. At the moment we have artists like Britney Spears, Motörhead, 3 Doors Down and Rammstein coming but yeah, there's no rush as Finland is a small country and therefore we do not have enough audience for every artist. We do have our own Finnish bands making tours around Finland playing in small clubs and stuff, so there is music played in pretty much every city though, but if we want to see world artists, it automatically means traveling to Helsinki. Some of the world's biggest bands like Coldplay have never even been to Finland though and System of a Down made its first show in Finland last summer. So we might never even get the "brightest stars" to play here. Maybe we don't have enough audience or then it's probably about money, I don't know.

Metal is popular in Finland and it's quite mainstream to like it. Shows of bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Rammstein are always sold out. There are many underground bands playing metal and if you go to a band competition, pretty much every band plays some sort of metal. I guess death metal seems to be the biggest thing but then there are gothic and power metal bands too. We also have festivals dedicated for metal music such as Tuska (which means pain or agony in Finnish) which is the most popular and the biggest metal festival that we have. There are also rock festivals like Provinssirock which is more for true music fanatics and Ruisrock which is more for mainstream music fans. Anyway, I don't exactly know what the thing is with metal. I guess it's easy for Finns to relate to it because of our very nature of being melancholic and probably our long, dark and cold winter has something to do with it too. People have nothing else to do so they start a metal band lol.

Finland is also quite famous for its classical music and probably our biggest gift for the rock music is Hanoi Rocks who gave inspiration for Guns N' Roses. So yeah, it isn't all about metal even though Finnish metal bands are probably the most famous of the bands that come from Finland. There are few indie and rock bands like Disco Ensemble and French Films which are also getting popular outside of Finland.

There are probably some other things that I forgot to mention but that's what came to my mind.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Over in Central California, we get some pretty good acts coming in. Not neccessarily my favorite bands, but some of them I like, such as SIck Puppies and the like. Locally, I don't really know since where I live is a real shithole and most of our local groups are like upcoming rappers. >.>Like Myth, I also would love to have Dream Theater here. ;-;

I kinda wish I lived in south cali, and then I could probably say something interesting about the local acts.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I know these guys from work, and they're pretty well-known in Memphis and probably other areas:

[video=youtube;29cUIT2tsjw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29cUIT2tsjw[/video]

Mostly country music (ugh), and a semi-blues scene given I live within at least an hour of Memphis.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Have to go to Hollywood to get a good music scene. I know it is always busy down there, though. A lot of variety, but most of the smaller venues are booked by underground or upcoming rock/alternative bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back