• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Little Rant: Loading Times

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Yes, many reviewers complain about it... and yes, I bet you're going to say "It's not that bad", but... good god, the loading times in Birth by Sleep is actually quite lengthy even with the data install. I installed the full 600mb [or whatever the highest you can install] and it's still quite lengthy. It 'loads' when you try to access the menu, the cutscenes have some lengthy load times between each and... loading between areas.

I can understand loading between areas. But I hate the cutscenes and menus for the simple fact it 'loads' and it feels like the data install doesn't help. I can't help comparing it to the Japanese version in which I had it on CFW on download and it was quick and seamless for me. It makes me wish that Square-Enix did release a digital download version because as much as owning a 'box' is nice, at least with a download, loading times are quicker and I don't have to listen to that hissing sound from the UMD that drive me nuts.

It makes me want to agree with Gamespot. It deserves a fucking lower score just for the painful loading times.

...At least it's better than Kingdom Hearts II and Days.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
personally, the load times don't both me, and I'm quite impatient with load times. this game, it has pretty good load times compared to, for example, The Sims 2 for the PSP. now that game made me so pissed and angry at it that it took forever to do things.

I understand where you're coming from, but compare to other games and my own personal experience, it's fast

Sacred X

Freshmeat
Yes, the load times are indeed a problem and there's no doubt about that.

I've installed the 400MB option, and the load times were a little noticeable. Personally over time, I've gotten really used to it, so it doesn't annoy me so much anymore. If I see it's taking extra long to load, then I know a cutscene is coming up, so it's usually worth it. The only time the loading can be a small nuisance to me is when opening my menu. Sometimes I hesitate to press start only because I know there's about a 50% chance that the game will slow down.

Overall it doesn't hinder my BBS experience. It was slight nuisance during the first couple of hours or so, just because I was trying to get used to what's what in the game, but since I've heard from other the load times are on the slow side, I prepared for it. Not really worth ranting about in the long run unless you're super-impatient.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
i see no big problem with this,i've installed the 600 mb data and the only annoying thing is cutscenes,when i was going to replay the final boss battle it took me about a minute just skipping the cuts-scenes-and i agree the umd sound is annoying,but thats why i wear headphones;the sound is clearer and you don't hear a thing from the outside

Jakek9

It gives me time to think about the story. I'm in no rush to super quickly do anything, for loading times to annoy me. I also installed the highest option myself. :p

Spikeyroxas

I dont think the load times are as bad as i heard they were.
The only load time however im abit annoyed with is when i change to a command style and it can take like 10seconds max to load into a command style.
So i did a full data install last night. Ill see if its better later on :D

This game is amazing!

RoseGirl007

The load times with the 600mb aren't that bad, i think it was only 12ish turns of the heart before each cutscene. From the reviews, i was expecting alot worse!

Xammag

I've only experienced the menu "loading" about once or twice, and then its almost instant from then on. I don't think the load times are bad at all with the install.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
compared to the JP version, the loading sequence in this one is more obvious, like 2-3 seconds slower. yeah it's not much but i think it's sometimes annoying. maybe it's because of the extras they added.

Raebus

1 minute...
i got one minute with my little 200mb DI...
is that really so bad?
are you ppl so impatient that one measly minute would be enough to go on a rant?
seriously....

One minute? I'd certainly rant about the loading times if it took one minute to load. I'm doing the full install, so it won't be as bad. Oh and small complaint but the remixed song before the start game screen is absolute wank.

Xammag

One minute? I'd certainly rant about the loading times if it took one minute to load. I'm doing the full install, so it won't be as bad. Oh and small complaint but the remixed song before the start game screen is absolute wank.

People say thats the best Dearly Beloved in the series. If thats the theme you're referring to.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
i god my homeboi is lending me his psp today, and because i cant find my 1gig stick ill have to play with my 32gig stick. NO DATA INSTALL AT ALL!!!!

gdude30

Dude are you using a 1000, 2000, or 3000?

Because there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I used to have the 1000 (a.k.a. phat) on some games the loading time was over a minute. I remember some ATV game was HORRIBLE!. I mean the game kicked ass but the loading times killed it. There was no data install back then. I heard with the 2000 the loading time decreased drastically. I'm not sure if it did with the 3000 though. They re-did the UMD door and the way the discs are read might have been slightly changed.

Personally for me the loading times are only bad when you start it up. Than it's kinda a pain in the ass. Or the first time you do open the main menu. As for the disc loading. Yeah it's a disc loading. It's called a UMD Disc Drive. The game doesn't work by magic and run silently and have no lag or loading times. It's amazing how much they crammed into those tiny UMD discs and THAN added extras for the international version. I bet the UMD was crying. I'd actually really like to know what the file size for the whole game is. I wonder if it's that much more than the japanese release.

Point is it's really not that bad. The UMD loading time used to be a huge con for a majority of PSP games but sony supposedly improved it. And even if it diddn't really improve they were clever enough to come up with data install. I think that's really cool. I'm amazed at how much the 4GB I got with the bundle actually holds. I do agree however that there would be less loading times if it was a PSN download.

I don't think it's fair to lower ratings for games on the PSP as well. Especially if they try and give "3" options for data install. You can't blame the developers for the system limitations of the PSP System itself. As well as the space of the UMD's.

Raebus

Half a second? An exaggeration I'm guessing. I installed the maximum amount of data, plus I have the 3000 model and it still takes 8 - 10 seconds, sometimes a bit longer to load.

HiByeYou987

The only annoying part is opening the menu but it's only 1-2 seconds with the max data install and a 3000.

And the save time is so much faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back