• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Little Big Planet

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
HELLYES

Information will be revealed in the June issue of GameInformer.

Okay. Here we go:

LittleBigPlanet 2 Game Informer June 2010 Issue Information

Context about the first LittleBigPlanet

- The first LBP was never intended to be a simple platforming game
- Over 2 million levels available online
- About 56,000 new levels per week on average

LittleBigPlanet 2 Information Starts Here:

- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.

- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.
- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone
- Media Molecule loves that a lot of user-created levels in LBP1 were homages to classic games and laments that so many manipulations of the creation tools were necessary to do them. Sackboy won't need to be "hidden behind the curtain" when you make games with LBP2.
- There is a new super-important creator tool called "direct control seats"
- (from previous point) In LBP1, lots of people made rudimentary "hold R1 to accelerate" vehicles. Mark Healy created a car out of rubber wheels and a bottle, then placed a direct control seat in it. He pulled up an interface that resembled a PS3 controller and assigned commands to buttons.
- Example given was assigning Sixaxis tilt for forward and reverse, horn on the X button.
- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone [EDIT: Spaff Molecule confirmed this to not be true. Magic Mouths are still in the game]
- Direct control seat's control scheme is instantly accessible and you can attach it only to the part of the vehicle you want it to control.
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.
- There is an in-game microchip that functions as a calculator and it is a direct response/homage to PSN user Upsilandre (seriously, he's mentioned by name)
- Enemies in the original title could only be programmed with super-basic commands and most resembled marionettes.
- Users will be able to take a template for an enemy called a Sackbot, tweak the AI and dress it in any way they choose.
- Creators can choose the weak points on the Sackbot, determine if it is scared of heights, and even program acting routines.
- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look.
- There are now movie editing options as well.
- Every LBP2 player will receive their own profile on LBP.me. It will display your activity feed as well as previews of their own stages
- There will be user-created integration in QR codes as well. They can be printed on advertisements, business cards, and automatically load a level when held up to the PlayStation Eye. There is no special menu to do this. Any time the PS3 is turned on and running LBP 2, you can wave it in front of the Eye.
- If you are not near your PS3 you can take a quick photo with your smartphone to see an online preview of the level and add it directly to your level queue.
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.
- Sackbots can be drastically increased or decreased in physical size.
- Sackbots can be controlled by direct control seats as well.
- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.

- Media Molecule says explicitly there are multiple more gadgets coming.
- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc.
- There is a major overhaul to the story level as well. There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.
- Storyline is not country-based like last time, but is based in periods of time
- Here is a list of levels and summaries so far:

- Techno Renaissance: Whimsical alternative take of the Renaissance period. Leonardo da Vinci-like character to guide him through a technology-based twist level

- Steam & Cake: Steampunk-style level based on a fucked-up tea and cake party

- Neon Propaganda: Cold-war era posters line a factory environment where Sackboy is liberating oppressed workers. There is a grim nature to the level that is totally opposed to the neon lights and signs.

- Fluffy High-Tech: Various high-end technology equipments like video walls are mixed with bunnies and fluffy sheep. It is a cold, futuristic environment populated by adorable creatures

- Designer Organic: Eco-architecture comes together around a designed and controlled version of nature. Described as "art noveau". The closest to nature Sackboy gets in this game. Elaborate designs comprised of plants.

- Hand-Made Arcade: A super-tribute level to tons of arcade classics. Embraces the hand-made art from the first game. Pixels made of cardboard and wood.

- Circuit boards (like the calculator) can get extremely complicated and they have a very distinct interface
- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level.

Sure. Quality-wise is is very, very close to the first game. However this is not even close to true of all the screenshots of the levels. Things look far less rudimentary in the levels this time around. One thing that I am genuinely liking and I hope is transferring to all the other user-creation tools is how the game shows you what commands are assigned to what microchips. Best way to explain it is to have you think of what happens when you press on a link on the iPhone. It blows up the microchip's commands with a little transparent, green comic-book style speech bubble part at the bottom pointing to the microchip it represents.

Sackbot templates start as a square-ish version of Sackboy with no faces. They resemble a wooden puppet very much. There are all kinds of various lighting effects on display. My favorite one (because it's so unique) is the 8-bit pixel Apple II-style lighting. You'll see what I mean by that when your issue gets in.

vpxjcj.gif

GAME OF THE GATDAM CENTURY

And I knew it. Insiders to Mm who play LBP at GAF have confirmed that the shitty updates and infrequent DLC for the first game was because they've been working on the second game in secret the whole time. Apparently the story levels are insanely beautiful. NeoGAF players who have gotten to work with the developers and creation tools have already made a Command & Conquer clone together.

For those that hated the way LBP controlled, you can control that very uniquely in the sequel. Above that, I'm sure Mm is tweaking the jumping physics.

Looking to be an early 2011 release. More info, obviously, at E3.

zomg scans
lbp2_gi_1.jpg

lbp2_gi_2.jpg

lbp2_gi_3.jpg

lbp2_gi_4.jpg

lbp2_gi_5.jpg

lbp2_gi_6.jpg

lbp2_gi_7.jpg

lbp2_gi_8.jpg

Awards
Re: LittleBigPlanet 2 Detailed/Announced, WAY Bigger and Better than LBP1

I think I need to change mah pants... And only after reading four lines of that.

darkheart709

Bronze Member

Cool, glad its changing it to be more than just a platformer

S

SoulSilver

I didn't really care for LB1 but I think I might like this one, make you're own RPG hmmm hehe.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

The most exciting new feature to me is Sackbots and Direct Control Seats, as well as the LBP.me profiles.

With Direct Control Seats and Sackbots, I can make my very own replica of Yoshi, and a spot to where Sackboy can sit down on him, and create my own custom control scheme for shooting his tongue, running, jumping, etc. I can tweak the AI and cause it to run away frantically if it gets hit, forcing me to chase it. I can even make it grow in size or keep multiple eggs.

Then I can fucking record my own sounds and songs for the level and my own HUD.

Oh my gosh guys.

Just...holy

I will do whatever it takes to get this.

I MUST GET THE NEW GAME INFORMER WHEN DOES IT COME IN OMG PLEASE COME ON GAME INFORMER

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator

I really don't care for games that expect the players to be the ones to make it fun. Like, by buying this game you're basically just buying access to the online pool of what people more creative/have-more-time than you will be potentially making in the future, because sure as fuck 90% of the people buying it won't have the ability to make anything worthwhile or the attention span to follow through with anything they personally make, so they purchase it and sit around for pseudo-developers to use the engine to make something of substance. I mean sure the developers should be lauded for the ability to provide such an engine to players, but it's still very little of, like...a game.

I mean, gMod and Minecraft aren't exactly winning GOTY awards

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

The problem is, with 2 million levels, that remaining 10% is 200,000 great levels.
Even though I don't create anymore because I don't have the time, the LBPC weekly update of amazing levels by wonderful creators gives me something new to play every week. They're not mediocre in any sense of the word. Many are inspiring 2D levels that break the creative boundaries of 2D platforming that we've known.

What held many people back from being able to create at the intricate level of using logic switches, complex mechanisms, lighting tricks and environmental modifications was because the toolset was very basic, but could be used to become very complicated. It turned a lot of people off.

The sequel is streamlining a lot of complicated mechanisms used to make detailed levels. Physics, AI and creature creation, is all being opened for the user. Microchips are replacing logic switches, essentially making it possible for anyone to make their own contraptions, and not just those with a programming background.

The sequel is opening doors for making content creation easier, at the same time giving it a level of depth fans of LBP probably never could have dreamed about.

And it's backwards-compatible? With all levels, content and costumes? That's 2+ million launch levels on Day 1.

Here's the newest LBPC community spotlight that I've got to try out this week xD
LBPCentral - Community Spotlight Episode 38

Awards

I really don't care for games that expect the players to be the ones to make it fun. Like, by buying this game you're basically just buying access to the online pool of what people more creative/have-more-time than you will be potentially making in the future, because sure as fuck 90% of the people buying it won't have the ability to make anything worthwhile or the attention span to follow through with anything they personally make, so they purchase it and sit around for pseudo-developers to use the engine to make something of substance. I mean sure the developers should be lauded for the ability to provide such an engine to players, but it's still very little of, like...a game.

I mean, gMod and Minecraft aren't exactly winning GOTY awards

Why do I get the feeling you haven't played the first game?

Ya know some people have fun making levels even if they can't make something awesome. Also there is a fun single player story mode.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator

Why do I get the feeling you haven't played the first game?

Ya know some people have fun making levels even if they can't make something awesome. Also there is a fun single player story mode.

I played the first game, I'm aware that there was a single-player mode, but it felt like a creation-tool first and an actual genuine game second, and the actual game experience was pretty lackluster for it. the fans were expected to be the ones to provide/invent/work-around what the Developers gave in order to fabricate fun game experiences from it. so, Dogen is right, LBP2 is fixing what the first game did to limit the experience, but I still find the entire methodology bothersome.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

Well hopefully the fact that Sony bought Mm means that all this ambition is going to come to fruition. Mm's already doubled in size since they made LBP1...and Sony's generous budget to the development of one of their most successful new IP launches in years will likely help this come to light.

I want to know what other gadgets they have in mind. With water, a gun, jetpack, and grappling hook, I'm curious what else they might have in mind. Melee weapon, perhaps?

Anyway, apparently the new GI is full of screenshots and I'm anxious to see if there's any sort of graphical overhaul.

I want them to totally redesign the UI of the game as well, and hopefully the stress tests on network code they are using on us in the LBP1 beta means they have a brand new netcode set up for LBP2.

In a breath, it certainly looks like they are broadening and complicating everything even further. But hopefully they've learned to take these new additions and make them accessible to the person who just wants to play for a few minutes after work, or something. Modnation Racers actually does a good job of this, but then again, it's not trying to be as versatile as LBP2.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards

"GAME OF THE GATDAM CENTURY"

not really

does sound better than lbp1 but i thought that was really boring so idk if i'll get this one.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

does sound better than lbp1 but i thought that was really boring so idk if i'll get this one.

That's because you have the creative developer's initiative of a ham & cheese sandwich. :)

Either that or you played Ramp and Calculator the whole time.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

This. This is the game I was hoping LBP1 could be. It came somewhat close, but not enough to hold my interest for long periods of time. This is a close-to-release-date buy from me for sure. Might even sell LBP considering how little I touch it now.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards

Well. This sounds pretty damn good, and I'll look forward to E3 to seeing more.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

Game's now been confirmed by MediaMolecule. Full "mega" details on Monday.

Twitter / Media Molecule: It's all true! We're excit ...

Oh gosh I want a trailer.

Some more info from GI:

Is there any more detail on the whole circuit board/microchip thing? It sounds like a new/better way to ‘program’ logic, to create your own custom switches perhaps? Is there detail on the interface for that?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The article goes into a bit of detail regarding the famous calculator level from the first LBP that Upsilandre created. He had tons and tons of wires and switches in the background working to make that happen. Media Molecule didn’t want players to have to take up all that space just to make that happen. So in LBP2 you can create microchips that handle all of that logic stuff. You can condense all of it and the commands and function onto one chip and have it take up drastically less space in the level.
Additionally you can use the microchips to program enemies and such as well. You can control their properties, weak points, animations, whatever. They can all also be condensed onto a microchip.

Commands? Microchips?
The interface for animations and some properties of Sackbots is shown. It’s clearly not all there is to do with the Sackbots but it looks a lot like the first game’s menus in that respect. However once you have programmed that aspect and other aspects, you can condense it onto a little circuit board with microchips like I was mentioning in that particular post. They blow up considerably so you can see what aspects have been copied onto a particular Sackbot or whatever. This is very hard to explain in words but once you see it I think it will make more sense.

You can fix the floaty jump physics? Megaton incoming.
From the article, Media Molecule implies that the floaty controls are “signature gameplay” of LBP1, but they know that a lot of fans didn’t like the way they worked with their levels. So you can customize the control scheme of a user-created protagonist within a level. It doesn’t mention anything specifically about the physics but it does allude to it heavily for the user-created protagonists.

Is it going to use Move? It should be no-brainer.
Nothing about Move in this article. However I sincerely believe that this game is being built for it. The grappling hook screenshot is a dead giveaway to me.

They also confirmed that the game would release in 2010. Whether it’ll act as a possible flaghship title for PlayStation Move can’t be determined, but it’s certainly a possibility. With E3 around the corner, expect to hear and see much more on LittleBigPlanet 2 in mid-June.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards

That's because you have the creative developer's initiative of a ham & cheese sandwich. :)
You're telling this to one of KHI's best digital artists.

Yeah, no.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards

You're telling this to one of KHI's best digital artists.

Yeah, no.

Hmm...

"creative developer's initiative"

"digital artists"

Unrelated.

Game/Level Design =/= Digital Art.

It takes more than drawing skills to make a succesful and fun-to-play level

Even then, you don't have to create to have fun with the game. You can play everyone else's creations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back