• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Listen to the cover of "Sanctuary" on Utada's Anniversary Album!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The cover album commermorating Utada Hikaru's 15th anniversary since her music debut in Japan, "Utada Hikaru no Uta -13 kumi no ongakuka ni yoru 13 no kaisyaku ni tsuite-", released earlier this month in Japan. This commemorative album features artwork created by various artists & photographers, including an illustration created by Tetsuya Nomura, and various popular performers like Yasuyuki Okamura, Ayumi Hamasaki, LOVE PSYCHEDELICO, and many more.

One of the songs honored on the anniversary cover album includes "Sanctuary", produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and performed by Peabo Bryson.

For those of you unaware, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis are a famous R&B songwriting and record production team best known for their work with Janet Jackson, Usher, Mariah Carey, and foreign talent like Crystal Kay and Jyongri. They have won five Grammy Awards and have 11 nominations since the start of their music career in the 1980s. They are also responsible for producing one of Hikaru Utada's best-selling singles early in her career, "Addicted To You", which sold 1 million copies in its first week and became one of the highest first week sales for a female solo artist in Japan.

Disney fans might remember Peabo Bryson, a R&B and soul singer-songwriter, well known for his contributions to various Disney soundtracks where he performed the ending themes to Beauty and the Beast with Celine Dion and Aladdin with Regina Belle. Hopefully for many of you, this rendition of "Sanctuary" will remind you all of the riveting love ballads from the 90s that many of us grew up listening to on the radio or after our favorite films.

You can listen to a sample of "Santcuary" and read a touching message from Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Peabo Bryson below:

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
Needless to say we're huge fans of Hikaru Utada so to be invited to creatively collaborate on this tribute project was a dream come true. 
As songwriters and producers it's always a tremendous responsibility to remake another artists work. When asked to remake "Sanctuary" written by the iconic Hikaru Utada , that responsibility rises to a whole new level.

Upon studying "Sanctuary" we were struck by the haunting aspect of the original recording and knew we wanted to keep that element on the new version while adding different dynamic instrumentation. Because of the importance of space and silence crafted in "Sanctuary" we felt the trademark vocals of the legendary Peabo Bryson would be a perfect fit to add a soaring vocal component to complete the musical journey.

Always keeping in mind that pleasing Hikaru was our main objective, we along with our creative team of production partner "the great" John Jackson and Peabo Bryson set about crafting the perfect balance.

We are happy to say we believe we found it. We hope Hikaru loves this version of "Sanctuary" and her fans feel its a proper tribute to her incredible songwriting gift. 

We look forward to working together again in the very near future. 

With love,
Jimmy & Terry

Peabo Bryson
I was first introduced to Utada Hikaru’s music by my business agent in Osaka many years ago and have been a fan ever since. When Jam & Lewis contacted me to record a song for the Tribute project I was truly happy and humbled to be given the opportunity.

Jimmy, Terry, John, and I spent a great deal of time trying to make the song mine, while also keeping it Hikaru’s. I think we accomplished it and I will be adding it to my set list in upcoming concerts.

It would be my dream come true, to sing a duet on my upcoming CD project, or any project with the lovely and multitalented Utada Hikaru.

Peabo Bryson

The album also features a cover of "Hikari" by LOVE PSYCHEDELICO which you can hear a sample of on YouTube. You can purchase the anniversary cover album right now from iTunes Japan or Amazon Japan.

Let us know what you think of this soulful rendition of "Sanctuary" on our forums and don't forget to follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts 3!

Source: Utada Hikaru official website

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Listen to the cover of "Sanctuary" on Utada's Anniversary Album!

(Maybe I'm a weirdo, but this just kind of pushes the whole Disney feel even further since Peabo Bryson performed my fav Disney animated feature ending themes)

I demand a classic 90s ending to KH3 featuring a ballad by Utada and Peabo Bryson

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

You can really see their love and appreciation for Utada. I hope Peabo will get to perform that duet with her one day~

Roxas9001

Bronze Member

Sounds very good.

Reminds me of the songs that would play after a pokemon film.

WILDMUSTANGX

This should definitely be one of the tracks played at the end credits of Kingdom Hearts 3!!!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

[video=youtube;PmvT7B3u7II]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmvT7B3u7II[/video]

[video=youtube;pgYEJHJXFB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYEJHJXFB4[/video]

Dumping for the sake of Disney nostalgia.

Anyways! Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis' message to Utada was touching ;~; So was Peabo's ;~;

Sdog

Awards

That was gorgeous to say the least. You can tell the... passion... that was put into this track. Every beat was mesmerizing and will probably push me to getting this album entirely.

disneyboy20022

Found the entirety on Youtube. Oddly enough someone put it to a scene from X-Men Days of Future Past in X-Ray Vision

[video=youtube;PBFXdMK8o_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBFXdMK8o_M[[/video]

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

ohmyglob_zpsm3ri9krb.gif

Yesss. I love how this all comes full circle. Peabo is perfect if not for the nostalgia alone. I like the arrangement too, I'd like to see where they take the rest of it, if it keeps the same consistency or if it amps up towards the end. *fishes out iTunes card*

Edit: full vid omg

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Sounds like it belonged from an unknown Kingdom Hearts movie. Peabo goes way back with Disney. Such talent like him, hope he does something special again for Disney.

Hakan Xatos

Awards

This was actually very good. Got to admit I was skeptical at first, but as it went along I really liked Peabo's cover. Not sure how to describe it exactly (sorry music class) but one of the things I liked the most was the slower pace that really brings out the lyrics. I wouldn't mind this being played in the credits.

BlackBlitz7

Website
burstingenergy.ultimaterpg.org

At first I was thinking it was gonna be terrible. Utada's voice is just so important to me that I honestly wasn't even going to give it a chance. I was more than surprised and I do have to admit I really enjoy this version.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

(Maybe I'm a weirdo, but this just kind of pushes the whole Disney feel even further since Peabo Bryson performed my fav Disney animated feature ending themes)

I demand a classic 90s ending to KH3 featuring a ballad by Utada and Peabo Bryson
that could happen disney just come to agreement with them especially utada

Last edited:

Aurora

Yes!! I totally support a classic 90s Disney ending to KH3! :biggrin: Peabo's Disney duets are some of my favorites, especially " A New World."

Zipporahss

This cover is so beautiful i wanna punch myself. I felt like... I can't describe how beautiful that was. I love Peabo! Mostly because the first time I fell in love with his voice was during my favorite Disney film "Beauty and the Beast" and to hear him sing a song from my favorite game is just so heart warming and... tearjerking, maybe u all think i'm a big cry baby thats a little nuts but hey, i cant help but love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back