• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lip Syncing: A big factor in KH2's delay

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

文偉立

newb programmer
Here's an obvious, if not known, fact. One of the most difficult factors to a game's translation from one country to the next is lip syncing. Voice acting, Script re-editing may also cause somewhat delays but lip syncing is most difficult, as in my opinion. Once the voice recordings have been done and the subtitles or anything that was once Japanese converted to the native tongue (i.e. English in the US, Espanol in Mexico, etc.), the difficulty lies in lip syncing, which involves the most effort.

What is this thread about? Well, I would just like to state that Square Enix had/has three months to translate the game so this may or may not affect the release date.

overdrive

Orienter
Ya, but we already know that march isn't an official release date and that it probably will take them longer than march to finish...or at least i knew that. ^_^

hellfirebg

Bulgaria,stupid country north of Greece...
Damn,why can't they just leave it.In FFX the words didn't match the lips but the game was still the best PS2 RPG.I don't care about lip syncing or corny extras or anything else that might play a factor to KH's delay,I just want the friggin' game to come as quck as possible!

overdrive

Orienter
Damn,why can't they just leave it.In FFX the words didn't match the lips but the game was still the best PS2 RPG.I don't care about lip syncing or corny extras or anything else that might play a factor to KH's delay,I jsut want the friggin' game to come as quck as possible!
Well if it comes out as soon as possible they might not have done such a good job on it and you'll be wishign that it came out later....all goo things take time!! ^_^

iholdthekeys

who knows???? but i pm'd monkeybutt, cuz i noticed the release date for the game in the u.s. was pushed recently.... it went from the beginning 2 march 2 the end........

文偉立

newb programmer
Actually, lip syncing is a great aspect to the game. They did somewhat maneuver it in FFX but not completely. I recall a scene in the Farplane where Yuna says a line but her lips do not move at all. That bugged me.

Lip Syncing is rather important. I will tell you why. I have watched a few cutscenes in Kingdom Hearts 2 (Just one actually). Roxas says "Dare o Sora?!" which means "Who is Sora?!" in slangy term. Imagine your lips moving to the japanese movement but the words are not in place. I will also tell you that japanese tends to speak at 'incomplete' sentences at times. As in "Sora ka?" which if you say it outloud is about only a second long. "Where is Sora?" takes about 1 second and over. So, lip syncing is important.

DarkKeira16

Hmm Lip Syncing is very important to me because it kinda ruins the mood of the game when u got peoples lips movin and nothin comin out.Or words bein heard but no lips are movin.Thats just weird in a way.So yeah,they do need to hurry up and release the game and they need to make the voice and the lips go together as well as possible which shouldnt be a problem because they did excellently with KH1.

文偉立

newb programmer
^In the original Kingdom Hearts, the first release in Japan, there was no facial emotion whatsoever unless in a cutscene. The facial expressions in our translated version were much more in detail.

surfer1593

If the lips don't sync they it won't be as well organized game, besides i hate it when the lips don't sync right.

文偉立

newb programmer
I'm not in Square's translation department. Square Enix America is in charge of that and I assume that they still need to work on these developments.

Sorareborn

MWHA HA HA!!! foolish people who still thinks it comes out in march...MWHA HA HA HA!!! But to those of you know that it wont be march...good for you!! YAY!!!

sora8300

I think it's a possibility that it will come out in march, but it is more possible that it will come out later like in may. I'd rather them spend more time on it and it be more of a higher quality then they spend only a little bit of time and it suck. And also I think the lip syncing is a very important part of the game.

Chihiro

☆ birth by sleep;
アクラ said:
^In the original Kingdom Hearts, the first release in Japan, there was no facial emotion whatsoever unless in a cutscene. The facial expressions in our translated version were much more in detail.

Didn't the American version have more expression because they actually go back into the game and re-do all the lip movements so they'll go along with the American VA's? If that's the case, then it would make sense as to why the game is taking so long to come out. They have to translate it correctly, re-do the lip movements, and then make sure the actual VA's do a good job. That's a lot of work! But it'll all pay off in the end, when we finally have the game and the lip movements match up with the VA's...when they don't match up, it just bugs the crap out of me, and I'd wrather wait a little longer than have poor quality cutscense to watch/listen to.

文偉立

newb programmer
*Oathkeeper* said:
Didn't the American version have more expression because they actually go back into the game and re-do all the lip movements so they'll go along with the American VA's? If that's the case, then it would make sense as to why the game is taking so long to come out. They have to translate it correctly, re-do the lip movements, and then make sure the actual VA's do a good job. That's a lot of work! But it'll all pay off in the end, when we finally have the game and the lip movements match up with the VA's...when they don't match up, it just bugs the crap out of me, and I'd wrather wait a little longer than have poor quality cutscense to watch/listen to.

Think of it this way.

The minor cutscenes as in characters speaking without voice acting, do not need lip syncs. A simple open and close is good enough. In major cutscenes, the expression is quite neccessary. I will recount the original Kingdom Hearts when Sora was down on the ground when Riku took the keyblade. In the Japanese version, Sora had no expression whatsoever but his lips did move with the language. In the American version, the lip sync was converted to English and facial expression was added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back