• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Likelihood of KH 2.5 & 1.5 Remix on PS4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
I don't have a PS3, and I'm holding out for the PS4 when it goes down in price/has games that I want to buy (whichever comes first). I've seen information saying that Sony isn't allowing backwards compatibility with PS3 systems, but that they are going to create some sort of streaming service for older games. I haven't gotten to play KH 1.5 and I'm hoping that I can play 1.5 and 2.5 once I do buy a PS4.

With that said, those of you who are more knowledgeable about Sony than I am, what is the likelihood that we'll see KH 1.5 & 2.5 on the PS4? Do you think they'll decide to stream the games, or is there any way that Sony will allow for direct-download to the console?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
It's too soon to say how it'll play out, but I don't see why Disney and Square wouldn't at least port it and allow it for digital download after the ps3 has ended its run.

We'll have to see what they all come up with, I guess.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Nomura had once stated that he wanted to "defragment" the games by bringing every title into one console, which is precisely why we have 1.5 and 2.5 for the PS3. Now that KH3 is for PS4 and XB1, I'm going to assume that the possibility of porting is there.

Though, of course, by his intention, he could have meant every extant game at the time that statement was said. And if 1.5 and 2.5 (or an ultimate collection that includes every game from KH1 to KH3) are to be made available for the PS4, would it be made available for XB1 as well?

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Worst thing they'll have to do is a new Utada contract. Otherwise there should be no problem.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
It's not so much that. It's just it is needed to get the game up on the Digital marketplace. Though at this rate and the fact they are really silent on 2.5 news I wouldn't be surprised a ps4 version is in co-development

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Sure, maybe it could even hit the Xbox One as well. Their biggest obstacle at the moment is the fact that there's a very very very small team working on these HD remasters for the PS3. That, combined with the fact that most of the resources are dedicated towards developing KH3, is why they're only making it for a single platform at present.

I'd guess that they're just focusing on finishing 2.5 for the PS3 first, then they'll wait and see whether or not they should make next gen ports, maybe even with extra content (capes, Xion battle etc.).

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
[IncomingRant]I still think that the idea of certain consoles don't have backwards compatibility is bull****. We have the technology. There is no excuse for not being able to play PS1/2/3 games on a PS4. The fact that there are very few backwards-compatible PS3s makes absolutely no sense since the ones that are backwards compatible were made in the initial release year. Logically, wouldn't it make sense to build more that were still backwards compatible as the years went on and it became easier to manufacture PS3s? Doesn't it say something when Nintendo is the only company with a current gen console that has some form of backwards compatibility?[/EndRant]

Sorry about that, guys. I just really needed to get that off of my chest.

Anyway, as to the OP, I can see the games being released as an ultimate collector's edition of sorts like the Final Fantasy collection they released last year or the Metal Gear collection. Remasters are a major thing since most consoles don't have backwards compatibility anymore, so they're the only way a good chunk of gamers that were introduced to certain series late can get a feel for the older games.

I can see them releasing remasters. I have a harder time seeing digital releases, however. There have been too many games from Square Enix that still have yet to have a digital release. Most, if not all of the Kingdom Hearts games as well as Crisis Core come to mind.

Vəntus

Awards
Website
the-gapra-whitewood.tumblr.com
[IncomingRant]I still think that the idea of certain consoles don't have backwards compatibility is bull****. We have the technology. There is no excuse for not being able to play PS1/2/3 games on a PS4. The fact that there are very few backwards-compatible PS3s makes absolutely no sense since the ones that are backwards compatible were made in the initial release year. Logically, wouldn't it make sense to build more that were still backwards compatible as the years went on and it became easier to manufacture PS3s? Doesn't it say something when Nintendo is the only company with a current gen console that has some form of backwards compatibility?[/EndRant]
A tad off topic, but the PS4 is gaining the ability to play PS1 and PS2 classics. There is also the case of the resources costing a lot of money to add in a chip that can emulate said consoles.

I'm sure at some point, a remaster is planned to be ported to PS4 (can't say much about Xbox One), it just depends on whether they want to do it or not. I'd think it's highly probable they might with KH3, in a bundle.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The technology behind making consoles backwards compatible is very very very complicated. In the PS3's case, they basically took the PS2 chip and put it directly in the PS3, making it all the more expensive. It took years for them to make it able to play a small number of PS2 games downloaded from the PS Store.

This time around, the PS4 is using chips from another company, meaning the difference between technologies is way different. Not to mention that the CELL chip in PS3 is extremely hard to emulate.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Vəntus;6159951 said:
A tad off topic, but the PS4 is gaining the ability to play PS1 and PS2 classics. There is also the case of the resources costing a lot of money to add in a chip that can emulate said consoles.

I'm sure at some point, a remaster is planned to be ported to PS4 (can't say much about Xbox One), it just depends on whether they want to do it or not. I'd think it's highly probable they might with KH3, in a bundle.

The technology behind making consoles backwards compatible is very very very complicated. In the PS3's case, they basically took the PS2 chip and put it directly in the PS3, making it all the more expensive. It took years for them to make it able to play a small number of PS2 games downloaded from the PS Store.

This time around, the PS4 is using chips from another company, meaning the difference between technologies is way different. Not to mention that the CELL chip in PS3 is extremely hard to emulate.

Admittedly, all of this bears keeping in mind. I get that there are several variables that make the consoles harder to emulate. I guess I'm just bitter that most consoles just aren't able to emulate things anymore when the console still looks like it can.

Also, sorry if my rant seemed too mean-spirited and off topic. It's just something that has been bugging me since the last console generation started.

KH Enthusiast

I think that Sony can also gain higher profits without backwards compatibility. I remember reading somewhere that Sony may make players re-buy older games through digital streaming. Also they don't have to invest the resources to create backwards compatibility in each new console.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I wouldn't purchase 1.5 for the PS4 because those games on there are a struggle to get through, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't buy a PS4 version of 2.5.

The two funner games and a more Disney-focused movie cutscenes would be so much fun (and I do prefer the PS4 over the PS3 now). Not to mention if someone wanted the TV you could just remote play 2.5 to your Vita.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I remember reading somewhere that Sony may make players re-buy older games through digital streaming.
Sadly they can and are likely thinking along those lines though it alienates some of the people that'd want to get it that way. I for one don't have the internet to stream anything, hell there's only about one 2hr stretch a day that my internet is fast enough to view videos or download stuff.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Admittedly, all of this bears keeping in mind. I get that there are several variables that make the consoles harder to emulate. I guess I'm just bitter that most consoles just aren't able to emulate things anymore when the console still looks like it can.

It doesn't look like they can. PS3 emulation is out of the question. PS2 emulation is not out of the question but it's very, very hard and it took years to develop a half-good emulator for PCs, let alone a console. PSP emulation could work as well.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
A complete collection?
That could be why its taking so long for a trailer on 2.5 to be released
It is a game i would love to haave on ps4 so i would only need one system..

Gram

Banned
Awards
It is a game i would love to haave on ps4 so i would only need one system..
The entire series on one console again would be the dream. TnT

Sdog

Awards
I see a KH collection coming fall next year, with 1.5, 2.5, and hopefully some inclusion of DDD. Can't remember exactly when or where, but around the time DD was comin Nomura stated he wanted to pump out a kh game every year till KHIII came out (or something), and for them all to be on one console.

I personally do not see and hope KHIII coming till about Spring 2016 for a solid 2 1/2 to 3 year dev cycle.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Since this is the PS4 thread...

[video=youtube;BHgUpviMDgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHgUpviMDgM[/video]

I am putting this here as I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the other threads I follow

-- A question some people have been asking me is why not release a PS4 version and take advantage of next-generation architecture?

Yasue: When we were first coming up with the idea for 1.5, 2.5 and 3, PS3 was the main console for us. We sort of wanted to have it gathered in one console, the PS3. But, we haven't really-- we might-- there's a consideration of going to the next-gen as well, we haven't really decided, there's no announcements yet, but I guess we're open to ideas for now.

love.gif
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back