• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Light vs darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destinyislands88

In Kingdom Hearts Sora responded to Ansem's gloating about weakness: "That's not true! The heart may be weak and sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned that deep down, there's a light that never goes out!" And he's right, people's hearts sometimes get corrupted by negative emotions such as vengeance on certain situations usually their lifes being broken, shaping them into something they didn't wanted to be on the first place, and they must fight against the darkness that corrupted them instead of doing bad things without thinking twice, our hearts are like the Ying-Yang, wherever is darkness there's always a dim of light and reverse.

I cannot understand why don't people fight against these negative emotions instead of letting being corrupted.

Muke

whatever
Awards
The only reason I can think of is that negative emotions are strong. Emotions like hatred, jealousy, etc. just overweight positive ones, so it's hard to fight against them. And I guess in such moments people are emotional instead of thinking rationally and being all "okay, no, I have to fight against it".

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I cannot understand why don't people fight against these negative emotions instead of letting being corrupted.

You'll find out resisting negative emotions, or even just determining what is negative, when and why is one if not the most arduous task mankind ever conceived, that kept busy the finest minds we ever had.

People are flawed and thus they can get corrupted easily, it's not like they never figured they can try and resist it.
The being who is 100% incorruptible is either a machine or an omiscient god.

vpha1313

Awards
It all boils down to "Nothing in life worth anything is easy". Its easiest to give in to negativity ( hence why so many Unversed in BBS and Vanitas) and it takes true strength to overcome this darkness (Sora, Riku, Aqua) to work towards the Light.

Andriux

Website
kingdomhearts.be
See I've always thought that light and darkness can co-exist with one another. I think Riku is a good example (after he got ahold of himself) of that. There's suppose to be this cosmic balance between the two. You can't let yourself become engulfed in too much darkness because you lose yourself, and ya can't be too in the light, because you'll get this narrow view of what is good and bad, instead of considering the in between; the gray so to speak.

Smithee

Awards
Problem with that whole "Balance" thing is, there's been quite the show-don't-tell problem with it so far.

All the major problems have been Darkness-heavy, and all the major solutions have been Light-heavy -- and any "gray" examples (e.g.: Riku, original Organization XIII, Namine, DIZ / Ansem The Wise, Terra, Spirit Dream Eaters, etc.) have tended to favor Light anyway and/or backfire in favor of Darkness anyway.

Hell, KH3's main good guys and bad guys are explicitly called the "Guardians Of Light" and "Seekers Of Darkness," respectively.

If that's "Balance," then I'd rather stick with the so-called "Tyranny Of Light," thank you.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I think you need to take a closer look at the whole KH series (and quite some other works as well as reality itself) as most people fight against being overwhelmed by negative emotions and try to get "not corrupted" but not everyone manages to "win" that fight.
Not to mention that it is an ongoing thing and depending on the severity of the things happening one may not be able to endure it every time so if one managed to successfully resist corruption it doesn't mean he/she can always do it.

You'll find out resisting negative emotions, or even just determining what is negative, when and why is one if not the most arduous task mankind ever conceived, that kept busy the finest minds we ever had.

People are flawed and thus they can get corrupted easily, it's not like they never figured they can try and resist it.
The being who is 100% incorruptible is either a machine or an omiscient god.

It's not even about "resisting" the negative emotions in the first place as bottling them up or burying them beneath some false positivity does not address the problem nor does it help overcome the negativity.
Negative emotions themselves are not even "Darkness" by itself as it depends on their intensity and how each individual deals with them if Darkness can take an unhealthy and dangerous hold.

I'd not say corrupted easily as there are quite some examples around who did have quite many bad things happening to them and who didn't give in and got corrupted.
When we remain with the examples of KH itself we have Sora, Aqua, Ventus, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Naminé and quite some more who despite having to endure very much shit up to now never got corrupted to a point where they turned "nasty" and even Terra, who did got corrupted somewhat and lost his body to a parasite did not lose his own moral compass (unlike Riku in KH 1 and DiZ, but both of those eventually regained their compass and went on a redemption quest to try and make amends).

Problem with that whole "Balance" thing is, there's been quite the show-don't-tell problem with it so far.

All the major problems have been Darkness-heavy, and all the major solutions have been Light-heavy -- and any "gray" examples (e.g., Riku, original Organization XIII, Namine, DIZ / Ansem The Wise, Terra, Spirit Dream Eaters, etc.) have tended to favor Light anyway and/or backfire in favor of Darkness anyway.

Hell, KH3's main good guys and bad guys are explicitly called the "Guardians Of Light" and "Seekers Of Darkness," respectively.

If that's "Balance," then I'd rather stick with the so-called "Tyranny Of Light," thank you.

Balance does not have to explicitly mean a 50-50 equal deal and treatment for the involved forces you know?

Darkness being an essential element/factor in the make up of the whole universe does not automatically mean that it has to be a force placed on equal ground or treated with the same mindset as Light.

It should be obvious that an element which holds potentially bigger dangers for the state of the universe due to its traits (not because it is evil! Dynamite or Nitroglycerin also aren't evil, yet still dangerous) should be treated and engaged with more caution than an element which doesn't.

A true "Tyranny of Light" would not be what the KH universe is right now but something far severe, like Eraqus up to eleven and his views being almost universally accepted and practiced.
For example if there would be someone advocating to exterminate all thirteen of the Seekers of Darkness without making any distinction between those who follow Xehanort willingly and those who are forced against their will as puppets (such as Terra), it would be a first indicator for the birth of a true "Tyranny of Light".

Smithee

Awards
I think you need to take a closer look at the whole KH series (and quite some other works as well as reality itself) as most people fight against being overwhelmed by negative emotions and try to get "not corrupted" but not everyone manages to "win" that fight.
Not to mention that it is an ongoing thing and depending on the severity of the things happening one may not be able to endure it every time so if one managed to successfully resist corruption it doesn't mean he/she can always do it.

It's not even about "resisting" the negative emotions in the first place as bottling them up or burying them beneath some false positivity does not address the problem nor does it help overcome the negativity.
Negative emotions themselves are not even "Darkness" by itself as it depends on their intensity and how each individual deals with them if Darkness can take an unhealthy and dangerous hold.

I'd not say corrupted easily as there are quite some examples around who did have quite many bad things happening to them and who didn't give in and got corrupted.
When we remain with the examples of KH itself we have Sora, Aqua, Ventus, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Naminé and quite some more who despite having to endure very much shit up to now never got corrupted to a point where they turned "nasty" and even Terra, who did got corrupted somewhat and lost his body to a parasite did not lose his own moral compass (unlike Riku in KH 1 and DiZ, but both of those eventually regained their compass and went on a redemption quest to try and make amends).

Balance does not have to explicitly mean a 50-50 equal deal and treatment for the involved forces you know?

Darkness being an essential element/factor in the make up of the whole universe does not automatically mean that it has to be a force placed on equal ground or treated with the same mindset as Light.

It should be obvious that an element which holds potentially bigger dangers for the state of the universe due to its traits (not because it is evil! Dynamite or Nitroglycerin also aren't evil, yet still dangerous) should be treated and engaged with more caution than an element which doesn't.

A true "Tyranny of Light" would not be what the KH universe is right now but something far severe, like Eraqus up to eleven and his views being almost universally accepted and practiced.
For example if there would be someone advocating to exterminate all thirteen of the Seekers of Darkness without making any distinction between those who follow Xehanort willingly and those who are forced against their will as puppets (such as Terra), it would be a first indicator for the birth of a true "Tyranny of Light".

Here's the thing, though: Your explanations > the series itself's explanations.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

Yeah, I should've specified better: I meant resisting the impulse of doing what the negative emotions tell you to do (most likely something bad) rather than suppressing the emtion itself.

Oh, of course Sora and co. are way more resilient, but they're also the "heroes", the role models: he seemed to talk like acting like them is something everyone should've done, and that's much harder.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Here's the thing, though: Your explanations > the series itself's explanations.

My explanation is based on an interpretation of not only what is said throughout the series about it but also what visual cues and actions have shown.
The "series itself's explanation" has to be less accurate/defined than any fan interpretation made because it doesn't give a definite explanation. The "series itself" leaves this topic ambigious!
Just because Mickey, Yen Sid, Eraqus, Lady Ava or Xehanort state something it doesn't mean that anyone of them actually has it right or that there even is an universal right explanation.

In CoM Naminé as also an interesting tidbit of advice for Riku:
Naminé said:
Know that the darkness is there and don't give in.

Note how she doesn't propagate anything along the lines of embracing the Darkness (like Xehanort advocates) or going buddy-buddy with it (as Hades advocates and apparently some portions of the fandom think is what balance has to mean).
Essentially what is propagated is to just say "oh hey, there you are Darkness. Yea, I know you're necessary so you can chill there, but otherwise fuck off!".

Yeah, I should've specified better: I meant resisting the impulse of doing what the negative emotions tell you to do (most likely something bad) rather than suppressing the emtion itself.

Oh, of course Sora and co. are way more resilient, but they're also the "heroes", the role models: he seemed to talk like acting like them is something everyone should've done, and that's much harder.

Yea, if one can resist those impulses or not of course also depends on the intensity of the negativity experienced in conjunction with one's own mental fortitude and willpower.
Being "blinded" by your emotions and losing the capability to act rationally as well as becoming obsessed with something is what has the "bad things" start happening.
Having already existing connections with others who might be able to help one bear and handle it better of course also play a crucial role in how each struggle turns out.
A person who has no support whatsoever may break and give in to the corruption way easier and with less pressure than one who does.

Acting like them is how everyone should strive to do but obviously it is easier said than done.
In this vein I am actually pretty much admiring Terra, Aqua, Ventus and Mickey since they went through so much shit of which big parts were actually shown (in Aqua's case even in more detail with 0.2) and they still persevered before Sora or Riku even entered the picture. One of the reasons why Terra telling Xehanort off in Blank Points and him summoning the golden chains in 0.2 with a "that's enough" is so impressive is because of this.

The fact that Xehanort had to almost literally bombard Sora's heart with the pain and suffering of three or more other hearts and instigate another fight with Xemnas in DDD to finally wear it down also speaks for itself I'd say.
People "blaming" Sora too often overlook how massive the amount of "ammunition" Xehanort had to spent to succeed actually was.

If one really breaks it down though, while physical "torture" and force may certainly be an accompanying factor, I'd say that most of the damage done in the KH series is actually mental, emotional and psychological.

Smithee

Awards
@Sephiroth0812:

You can elaborate (quite well, actually) on it all you like; it's the series itself that should've convinced me -- and so far, "Balance" = Clueless Aesop, IMO.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
See, and that's where you have a misunderstanding it seems.
The "series itself" doesn't even want to convince you of anything specific.
The "series itself" only wants to encourage one to think and interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back