• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Let's discuss comedy, self-awareness and the fourth wall in KH3.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Amadeus

Awards
Also since we're on this subject; is anybody else still confused over the "she's like Sora" scene and Riku's reaction with the "What!?" over it? I can't tell if it was supposed to be a joke or not and why the reaction was so over the top. If it was about the idea of Aqua being another Sora clone, why would it be so surprising since he's met at least 2 before? I still don't understand this scene.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that scene was the result of a nuance being lost in translation. I've read that the word Mickey uses in JP can mean something more like "physically resembles," rather than just "similar to" (which is what his use of "like" in English implies). So, his full line would have translated to "Aqua [physically] resembles Sora," or, more conversationally, "Aqua looks like Sora." Hence Riku's confusion, because he'd probably (rightly) assumed that Aqua looked like a grown woman, not a teenage boy.

As far as the localization goes, though, I don't think Hirokey and Zul are too far off the mark. That's just how the scene reads in English.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I guess I am in the minority in really disliking what they did to Vanitas in Monster inc. I did not really like Axel's comedy that much during the keyblade graveyard. I can appreciate trying to lighten the mood but this is supposed to be the battle of their lives so I would have been happy with less campiness.

In the other Disney worlds they could have injected more comedy because I enjoy most of it. I did not feel it was out of place given Sora was not a life/death stress level during his visit.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that scene was the result of a nuance being lost in translation. I've read that the word Mickey uses in JP can mean something more like "physically resembles," rather than just "similar to" (which is what his use of "like" in English implies). So, his full line would have translated to "Aqua [physically] resembles Sora," or, more conversationally, "Aqua looks like Sora." Hence Riku's confusion, because he'd probably (rightly) assumed that Aqua looked like a grown woman, not a teenage boy.

As far as the localization goes, though, I don't think Hirokey and Zul are too far off the mark. That's just how the scene reads in English.
Ah that's cool to know. Rather funny to imagine what Riku must have envisioned at that moment.

Personally i just took that scene to imply that Aqua being like Sora completely clashed with Riku's mental image of her, causing that reaction.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I have a hard time fully accepting Sully chucking Vanitas through the doors to be 100% intentional comedy. It's really just... Something that happened. A solution to the problem that was occurring. Sora had helped Sully to that point, and Sully was in a prime position to swoop in and save Sora. I'm sorry that Vanitas didn't whip around and perform a one-thousand slash combo that would explode Sully from the inside out. That's just not what happened, and that's not what this series is.

Sully is a big, scary, imposing monster. He has big arms, big claws, and is almost two Vanitas's tall. They're not going to make him docile and powerless because the cool edgy keyblade boy is here. If Sully stood by and watched while Sora got murdered, I'd wonder why the big furry brute never did anything. It's logical.

And it happened to be funny as well.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Also since we're on this subject; is anybody else still confused over the "she's like Sora" scene and Riku's reaction with the "What!?" over it? I can't tell if it was supposed to be a joke or not and why the reaction was so over the top. If it was about the idea of Aqua being another Sora clone, why would it be so surprising since he's met at least 2 before? I still don't understand this scene.

Prior to this conversation, Riku's had the impression that Aqua's a responsible, top-class Keyblade Master, someone who is intelligent and keenly aware. Then Mickey says she's similar to Sora, who is like the exact opposite.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I really liked the humor in III. It made it feel a lot more natural, in my opinion. Just like what others have said, I like the fact that Kingdom Hearts doesn't take itself too seriously (because not even WE as the fans do lmao). I think it's self-aware, and that makes it charming. That's why the Woody and Xehanort scene is so great -- to somebody out of the loop, all this talk about D A R K N E S S is ridiculous and edgy. And who better to roast than arguably the edgiest version of Xehanort?

Also in terms of everybody roasting Sora... On one hand, I completely get where people are coming from. But given Sora's character in III, I can't help but feel like the guy's thinking "Yeah, roast me now, but who was it that saved most of y'all and is PROBABLY gonna do it again tomorrow? Oh right..." Sora can be naive and is generally pretty quick to jump the gun. He's also VERY stubborn and cocky. But the kid is by no means a dumbass. (DDD made him kinda dopey but every other game has made him pretty capable.) I DO think it's weird how Donald and Goofy almost fanboy at Mickey too much, but I think it's mostly for gags and shouldn't be taken that seriously. Plus Mickey is a powerful Keyblade Master AND a King, so... I get it. But I think it's mostly a gag that probably didn't hit too many people.

Back