• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lea's Keyblade Design

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Popsydoodles

Does anybody else feel like Lea's keyblade is kind of lame and unimaginative? Just because the guy uses fire and chakrams doesn't mean you should cram them both together and call it a keyblade. It's literally just one chakram with a stick of fire attached. I mean c'mon. That's just lazy imo. Aqua's initial keyblade wasn't a stream of water and some bubbles(I'm aware of the brightcrest keychain but that's not her default). Also I felt his keyblade was a little short for a guy as tall as he is.

Here are some refreshers of Axel/Lea inspired keyblades:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
If you ask me, it's better than just giving him Bond Of Flame and not even bothering with something new...

I'm not too bothered. The two things everyone recognizes Lea by (other than the appearance and catchphrase) are his pyrokinetic powers and those chakrams. If you've got any good ideas on what it should've looked like and yet related back to the character and stayed original, let's hear 'em.

Popsydoodles

If you ask me, it's better than just giving him Bond Of Flame and not even bothering with something new...

I'm not too bothered. The two things everyone recognizes Lea by (other than the appearance and catchphrase) are his pyrokinetic powers and those chakrams. If you've got any good ideas on what it should've looked like and yet related back to the character and stayed original, let's hear 'em.
That's kind of my point. We don't need his chakrams and fire to be so blatant. We already associate those with his character. His keyblade is exactly that and nothing else. A stick of fire and a chakram. It's like they took bond of flame and frolic flame and smoothed them together in the most boring way.

As for ideas or thoughts on what it should have looked like, I'm kinda drawing a blank. Lea is a tall slender guy so maybe something similar to the one winged angel keyblade for size. As for the look I'm not too sure. Elements from the chakrams and flames could be used but not so in your face I guess.

Its kinda like they didn't want you to forget he used fire chakrams now that he has the keyblade. They could have just had them as transformations or have Lea use them every now and again. It's not like he can't summon them anymore.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Axel should have used Bond of Flame or something of a similar design. I really don't like his keyblade's design. Hopefully he slaps on the Bond of Flame keychain that Sora has and fixes how it looks.

Popsydoodles

Axel should have used Bond of Flame or something of a similar design. I really don't like his keyblade's design. Hopefully he slaps on the Bond of Flame keychain that Sora has and fixes how it looks.

While I do like the bond of flame keyblade, I agree with Osprey that it should be something new.

New idea: Rather than Lea's keyblade being a literal stick of fire, it could have been a regular keyblade that he ignites and keeps lit himself.

Also the keyblade doesn't really show growth in his character design wise. I mean he's come from a dark place so maybe throw some black flames in there or a bit of blue flames since they're technically hotter and could show he's more passionate about fighting for his friends(Ike jokes incoming). It almost is too much red in his design currently.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This is a pretty neat design for a fire keyblade.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
While I do like the bond of flame keyblade, I agree with Osprey that it should be something new.

New idea: Rather than Lea's keyblade being a literal stick of fire, it could have been a regular keyblade that he ignites and keeps lit himself.

Also the keyblade doesn't really show growth in his character design wise. I mean he's come from a dark place so maybe throw some black flames in there or a bit of blue flames since they're technically hotter and could show he's more passionate about fighting for his friends(Ike jokes incoming). It almost is too much red in his design currently.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This is a pretty neat design for a fire keyblade.

OMFG PLEASE! Let Axel find that keychain somewhere before KH3 and just have that keyblade equipped. Square don't even need to explain how he got the keychain, just please give him that keyblade and ditch the old one!

Awards
It should've been like an upgraded version of Bond of Flame, just like YX's version of the No Name in DDD

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Frolic_Flame_KHBBS.png

Personally, I would have loved it to be an upgraded version of The Frolic Flame as this Keyblade symbolises "Lea" as opposed to Axel.

Pandymint

Awards
Frolic_Flame_KHBBS.png

Personally, I would have loved it to be an upgraded version of The Frolic Flame as this Keyblade symbolises "Lea" as opposed to Axel.

I can get behind this. The logic is sound. I'd just ask that it would be a little less... Childish I guess? I mean, I know, this is Kingdom Hearts we're talking about, but a lot of the Keyblade designs after Days have really fallen flat for me. None of them really feel... Cool for lack of a better word. They end up looking a lot like toys. I think 3D may have been the worst offender, to me anyway.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I can get behind this. The logic is sound. I'd just ask that it would be a little less... Childish I guess? I mean, I know, this is Kingdom Hearts we're talking about, but a lot of the Keyblade designs after Days have really fallen flat for me. None of them really feel... Cool for lack of a better word. They end up looking a lot like toys. I think 3D may have been the worst offender, to me anyway.

Lea was a young teenager when Ventus met him so this Keyblade is intentionally childish. But I understand your perspective. It can easily get itself an adult Axel flair if Nomura wanted to. I'm still dissapointed at the current Keyblade that Axel wields... unless...

KEYBLADE TRANSFORMATIONS

Maybe, Axel's Keyblade can flesh out into a completely new design?

Pandymint

Awards
Now there's an idea.

I also just had a thought. Depending on how they design Lea's attire, his keyblade could be overkill. Since they have his Keyblade being all orange and red and yellow, I really hope that his outfit doesn't end up being... Red, orange and yellow. It'd be an over-saturation of those colors. It works with the Black Coat because the only thing with any of those colors is his hair. Anymore and it'd be a suffocation.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Lea's Keyblade practically is a combination of Bond of Flame and Frolic Flame if you look losely and in all honesty I find it better designwise than both of the other ones.

It being a short Keyblade also isn't that much of an oddity, as for example Ventus uses exclusively short Keyblades and some of Sora's Keychains are also rather short.
Considering Lea is probably prone to throw his weapon (as he is used to with his chakrams), it being a short blade also allows for better and smoother uses of the "Raid"-line of abilities.

As for that fanmade Keyblade, lol, fanmade designs are almost always 100% more "cool" than any official ones.
Like possibly these I made back in 2011 for example:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Popsydoodles

Lea's Keyblade practically is a combination of Bond of Flame and Frolic Flame if you look losely and in all honesty I find it better designwise than both of the other ones.

It being a short Keyblade also isn't that much of an oddity, as for example Ventus uses exclusively short Keyblades and some of Sora's Keychains are also rather short.
Considering Lea is probably prone to throw his weapon (as he is used to with his chakrams), it being a short blade also allows for better and smoother uses of the "Raid"-line of abilities.

As for that fanmade Keyblade, lol, fanmade designs are almost always 100% more "cool" than any official ones.
Like possibly these I made back in 2011 for example:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I wouldn't say they're 100% more "cool" but some do have some good ideas and design aspects.

Ventus' short keyblades worked because he's a small guy. Lea is quite tall and I can't really see him using the keyblade like Ven does. (Not that it couldn't happen but it would look awkward to me.) His keyblade also doesnt really need to be short for raid abilities when he can still use his chakrams as projectiles. I believe Lea should be using both his keyblade and chakrams in combat and not just his new fire stick.

Edit: How would Lea even actually use his keyblade? What stance do you guys picture him in? I see him keyblade in one hand and chakram in the other.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Edit: How would Lea even actually use his keyblade? What stance do you guys picture him in? I see him keyblade in one hand and chakram in the other.
The moment you said that, the image of Lea using a sword-and-shield fighting style popped into my head immediately. That would be pretty unique, wouldn't it?

Popsydoodles

The moment you said that, the image of Lea using a sword-and-shield fighting style popped into my head immediately. That would be pretty unique, wouldn't it?

He would be the first that we would know of. It's kind of weird thinking about him in a Link type of pose. Isn't he known as the assassin of the old Organization? Not too many assassins go for the sword and shield combo.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
He would be the first that we would know of. It's kind of weird thinking about him in a Link type of pose. Isn't he known as the assassin of the old Organization? Not too many assassins go for the sword and shield combo.
The most "assassin" work we've seen him do is those two vulture kills on Zexion and Vexen and that failed attempt on Roxas. And most of his methods involve direct, physical confrontation. He never really came across as the assassin type to me... But that's just my opinion.

Besides, I'd say Lea with a sword-like weapon is already pretty odd, so why not just go with it all the way? It'd let him keep a ranged chakram attack available too.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I suppose I'm gonna be in the minority and say that I am okay with Lea's current keyblade design. Don't get me wrong, it is a bit lazy honestly with how they slapped the chakram on there like that but Riku's Way to Dawn is also a souped up Soul Eater with distinct changes. And that's where I think they dropped the ball on the design. If they wanted to keep the chakram's that fine but make a significant change that reflects Lea as a more developed character. Riku's was obviously adding a touch of angel wings on his previously strictly demonic sword, showing that he is returning to light. How they could make an equally significant change with Lea is probably where the challenge was.

It still represents Lea accurately that is no doubt but I feel it only represents him on the surface and doesn't delve into his character like Way to Dawn did for Riku or Ven's Lost Memory keyblade or Oblivion or Oathkeeper I mean the list can go on. But as a starter keyblade I do not think this is bad. Sure it's not "badass" or whatever but it is Lea. He holds flames dear. I'm sure he holds those chakrams dear as well. It may not mean much to us but it probably means a whole lot to him and that's what they were probably going for.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I suppose I'm gonna be in the minority and say that I am okay with Lea's current keyblade design. Don't get me wrong, it is a bit lazy honestly with how they slapped the chakram on there like that but Riku's Way to Dawn is also a souped up Soul Eater with distinct changes. And that's where I think they dropped the ball on the design. If they wanted to keep the chakram's that fine but make a significant change that reflects Lea as a more developed character. Riku's was obviously adding a touch of angel wings on his previously strictly demonic sword, showing that he is returning to light. How they could make an equally significant change with Lea is probably where the challenge was.

It still represents Lea accurately that is no doubt but I feel it only represents him on the surface and doesn't delve into his character like Way to Dawn did for Riku or Ven's Lost Memory keyblade or Oblivion or Oathkeeper I mean the list can go on. But as a starter keyblade I do not think this is bad. Sure it's not "badass" or whatever but it is Lea. He holds flames dear. I'm sure he holds those chakrams dear as well. It may not mean much to us but it probably means a whole lot to him and that's what they were probably going for.
a giant "WINNER" stick with a keychain. #symbolism2k15

in all seriousness, they probably could slap on sea salt ice cream as an analogy that he hasn't forgotten his friends, it could be a chakram hilt, then fire melting the giant bar until it freezes on the end to form the teeth, show that he'll never forget his friends.

Popsydoodles

As I am racking my brain for ideas on how I would have done Lea's keyblade, I came up with heated metal. I think they could have went this route instead of making the whole blade and teeth just flames.

Heres what heated metal looks like for those who forgot or never knew in the first place :p

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back