• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Learning a Language

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Dogen is right on the whole public school thing. Seriously, they never really teach you what you NEED or what you'd ever think about really using.

My suggestions are 1. Music. It really does help you get down how the words are used and if not that, the basic ideas/emotions around a word.
2. Repetition. Really, just read it again and again and say it to yourself a few times.
3. Do some studies of your own. Be it with somebody who speak the language already or by going to a trustworthy source made by people who speak the language.

I'm pretty sure going to a place would help you learn quickly as well but, easier said then done. XD

αsiя

space coke
Watch Univision, Telemundo and Galavision channels to get used to Spanish being spoken to you. My mother learned English by watching TV, and my stepdad is learning Spanish by doing the same. It helps.

Telefutura
or MTVthres
If you're down to watch novellas on Univision then go for it

AzzurroRainrebor

I'm all late and stuff...

I'm half Italian, but I'm just learning it (lol). I just hung around a lot of Italian people and stuff, now I'm going to take the proficiency exam for the language. I also (along with taking courses) learned Spanish, French, Portuguese, Latin (afinity for Romance languages), and a little Japanese this way...

...then again, I'm sort of a geni...whatever...

Lefolane

I'm learning Japanese because I was really interested in manga, but now I feel so-so about it.
However, I still continueing doing that 'cause I don't think there's no other lang. that I could learn that far. This coming summer vacation I think I will self-study more 'cause I don't often pracetice writing, reading or even read the vocabs from the sheet the teacher gave me. I can't even speak it U__U

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
I take Spanish at advanced level and I have the exact same problem; I can't seem to remember some really basic words and verbs sometimes, and it really annoys the fudge out of me. Here are some tips for you to help you with your Spanish.

• Book extra study sessions with your teacher
  • Get a study group with your friends where you can review topics in class that you don't understand or are rusty on
  • Have extra oral classes -- speaking can sometimes help as it is not a "passive" skill such as reading and listening
  • Find past paper exams to do and ask your teacher to mark them
  • To revise, find your learning style (visual, musical, kinetic, etc.) and set your revision up in that style
  • Get talking to some Hispanophones (people who speak Spanish as a first language) -- I do this and I not only learn vocabulary, I also get to learn a bit more about the culture of the country and the feel for its particular style of Spanish
  • (You can do the previous one by downloading Camfrog, that's what I do)
  • Surround yourself with Spanish radio, music, television and movies -- it is the next best thing to complete immersion
  • Download the Spanish dictionary to your iPod and listen to it during the day and at night -- if it's at night when you're sleeping, words will leak into your subconscience
  • Read Spanish books and magazines
  • Constantly review grammatical points and tenses
  • Highlight anything you don't understand so you know what you're stuck on and you won't feel as lost and helpless
  • Get really passionate about the language if you can -- I hate Spain and so I dislike Spanish, but when we actually talk about other countries such as South American countries or Mexico, I'm interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back