• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► LEAKS discussion - ENTER AT OWN RISK

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NemesisSP

Awards
After reading all the leaks, I’ve watched the cutscenes on YouTube and must say I’m impressed. Kairi wasn’t really that bad..

no she was badass and I really liked how aggressive she was against Xehanort. I’m satisfied with the ending. And maybe we can play some segments of her training with Aqua. But I don’t like the fact that DDD2 may be a Riku only game. I’d really like if it was still the Kairi and Riku game and maybe Kairi and Aqua join Riku in Quadratum.. I really liked how they implemented Yozora’s theme in the end.
I would like it if the next game had Riku and Kairi as the protagonists as well. At the same time, if the game is just Riku, I'm not opposed to that, since Riku's never actually carried a game solo before. Sure, he was pretty much the true protagonist of Dream Drop Distance, but he still shared most of it with Sora. It'd be interesting to see how he could fare as the sole protagonist of a game. For the most part, I think only Sora and Roxas have really had stories where they were the sole protagonist 358/2 Days Mission Mode is not canon, Roxas is the only playable character in Story Mode and its still his game with Axel and Xion playing off of his struggles and journey. Of course, there's nothing wrong with sharing the spotlight and it can work well. It just seems that Riku only ever tends to share a game with someone else than have his own.

I still think Kairi will get her own full game on the horizon, but of course we'll have to see.

Kairi: "I want to go with you. But I can't. I need to finish training."

GURL. YOU 👏 NEVER 👏 HEARD 👏 OF 👏LEARNING👏 ON 👏THE 👏JOB!?

Nomura, you could have kept Kairi's character development going... but we're going to put her on the bench again.

Yes, because apparently of the multiple projects that are confirmed to be in the works, none of those could possibly be Kairi centric or have her be in it. You're acting like Kairi is most definitely gonna be benched when we know 1) nothing about what's coming next 2) that this game ends with the hint of Kairi begin trained by Aqua.

Again, considering multiple projects are in the works, not just the Sora and Riku in Quadratum game, then it's really too damn early to pretend we know for sure that Kairi is going to be "benched." Also, the game doesn't throw out her development, what are you talking about? She's still probably gonna keep it going. You're just being overly pessimistic.

Katsagu

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Maybe she imagined him stronger than he really is?

giphy.gif

KeyChan93

Awards
I would like it if the next game had Riku and Kairi as the protagonists as well. At the same time, if the game is just Riku, I'm not opposed to that, since Riku's never actually carried a game solo before. Sure, he was pretty much the true protagonist of Dream Drop Distance, but he still shared most of it with Sora. It'd be interesting to see how he could fare as the sole protagonist of a game. For the most part, I think only Sora and Roxas have really had stories where they were the sole protagonist 358/2 Days Mission Mode is not canon, Roxas is the only playable character in Story Mode and its still his game with Axel and Xion playing off of his struggles and journey. Of course, there's nothing wrong with sharing the spotlight and it can work well. It just seems that Riku only ever tends to share a game with someone else than have his own.

I still think Kairi will get her own full game on the horizon, but of course we'll have to see.

Yes, because apparently of the multiple projects that are confirmed to be in the works, none of those could possibly be Kairi centric or have her be in it. You're acting like Kairi is most definitely gonna be benched when we know 1) nothing about what's coming next 2) that this game ends with the hint of Kairi begin trained by Aqua.

Again, considering multiple projects are in the works, not just the Sora and Riku in Quadratum game, then it's really too damn early to pretend we know for sure that Kairi is going to be "benched." Also, the game doesn't throw out her development, what are you talking about? She's still probably gonna keep it going. You're just being overly pessimistic.

I was joking mainly! With all of these plot threads, I just don't know where Kairi could fit in the larger picture if Riku is going at this quest alone! But I hope we'll see more growth in her story! Definitely been rooting for her since KH1!

NemesisSP

Awards
Kairi deciding to stick around and train is because she doesn't want to repeat the mistake of rushing into the Keyblade War after finishing her initial training, thus being actually woefully unprepared to actually be in that situation. Which then ended up with her then getting shattered by Xehanort, which then resulted in Sora breaking reality a second time to save her and is why he's over in Quadatrum to begin with.

I fail to see how Kairi, who has little actual experience and having just woken up from a year long coma could actually help Riku out without feeling like she's just be weighing him down. We can already see that, despite her aggression towards "Xehanort" and enthusiasm, she's holding some clear guilt over this whole thing. It sounds like maybe her going back to training actually could help her regain that confidence she had before the Keyblade War. And there's also no guarantee that Riku could make it back since we don't know the mechanics of Quadratum, meaning he's going in there blind. And he's officially a Keyblade Master. While Kairi isn't yet. Plus, who would tell Mickey and everyone if Kairi doesn't? Sure, maybe the Fairy Godmother, but wouldn't they want to hear it from Kairi and also be assured she's alright after being out of it?

Personally, yes I get it, it's hard to see where Kairi is going to fit into this, but I think she will indeed have a much larger role within the story. Especially with the idea that she's gonna be training with Aqua this time. Will we see it or will we follow Riku mostly in the next game, but I don't think we should just assume Kairi is just gonna disappear again. She's on a journey of her own now and I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic that we're gonna see it unfold. After all, like I said, there's multiple projects confirmed to be in the works. Who knows but Square Enix what is gonna happen.

Side note, I hope someone rips the version of Nachtflugel that plays during the scene with the Nameless Star soon, because that is a very pretty variant of it.

Last edited:

KeyToDestiny

Awards

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen people say Kairi's getting a game or goalposts getting moved, I'd be richer than Scrooge by now.

NemesisSP

Awards
If I had a nickel for every time I've seen people say Kairi's getting a game or goalposts getting moved, I'd be richer than Scrooge by now.
And I'd say if I had a dollar for every time I saw this kind of response, I'd be richer than both Scrooge and you. I'm very tired of the constant negativity concerning Kairi, not be cause it's unfounded (because there are), but because people like you just want to be negative for the sake of it.

I'm just gonna say, again, if that's how you want to be, go right ahead. But replying to me and making a snide comment isn't going to change my mind and it's clear no point I could make will change yours.

Katsagu

Awards
I was watching a stream...and excuse me if I'm wrong...

But there are only 21 co-op musics???

Perkilator

Awards
When it’s possible to interview again, I wanna if someone here can interview Nomura and ask him about how Kairi is handled and that it contradicts what was shown in the marketing.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Long Plot Thoughts
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Shorter version free of ramble.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

//cries in 100 theories and fanfics becoming non-canon in 20 minutes//

Oooooorrrr maybe not.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Katsagu

Awards
When it’s possible to interview again, I wanna if someone here can interview Nomura and ask him about how Kairi is handled and that it contradicts what was shown in the marketing.

What exactly was shown in the marketing?

Cumguardian69

Awards
Nothing in tbe marketing contradicts what the final product of Kairi was. Y'all really went "omg there's a hand cursor on Kairi's name and a render so she'd gonna be PlAyAbLE" when no one from SE EVER said that.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Nothing in tbe marketing contradicts what the final product of Kairi was. Y'all really went "omg there's a hand cursor on Kairi's name and a render so she'd gonna be PlAyAbLE" when no one from SE EVER said that.

It would have been nice to get the Destiny Trio in their Kingdom Hearts III attire as an unlockable team after beating the game.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
From what little marketing I've seen (cause I didn't go into this caring about the story and now I see rightly so), they heavily teased Kairi at least getting some kind of mini-boss minuscule story. It's kind of a bait and switch to have the trailer show Kairi attacking the hooded figure. To have a cutscene of her doing that. But then have her transform into someone else last minute to do the actual fight.

I just wish they hadn't included any of this "story" at all. Couldn't we just have a rhythm game for rhythm game sake? I say that, knowing no game in KH is a side game but oh I wish they truly were.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

As the person who made that observation here, I’m not sure why you’re mocking it when it ended up being true in some capacity? It was something worth pointing out, I think. 🤷🏼‍♂️

That said, you’re right that SE didn’t contradict themselves with the marketing. But they definitely teased an idea that was present in the game, but not in the way many of us would have liked. I mean, they even advertised that model using her Keyblade, but she doesn’t use it with that model in the game itself.

Last edited:

Katsagu

Awards
Okay I have to say it.

The fact there even is a final boss is surprising. Let's not act like it existing was something expected or a given. People only started thinking somehting of the sort when we saw the demake render of KH3 kairi. And well we were right, she is playable, as much as KH3 sora is here. The fact the final boss did not pan out how many people wanted doesn't make the game or what the devs did here any less valuable in itself.

But nothing about the marketing was misleading, trailers did not focus on the story part at all, hell the final trailer is 3 minutes and only the last 30 secs show a little of the story, responses to interviews said the story would be minimal and it is.

Just because Kairi is on the cover does not mean this is "her" game, whatever that means. This is and has always been a rhythm game first and foremost that goes through the whole story of the KH saga, with what was marketed as a little something at the end (yes the KH twitter actually sent out a tweet saying this exact same thing), after all this is: "The first KH rhythm action game".

I get being dissapointed with the way things pan out when it relates to Kairi's time to shine, but screaming "FALSE ADVERTISING" is not it. At the end of the day, the rhythm game behind all of this is still solid as hell.

2 quid is good

Awards
When are we gonna get the whole "blame the fans and their expectations!" out of the fandom, it really ruins discourse.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, and you certainly can't divorce MoM's Kairi-centric marketing from Remind's "redeeming Kairi" scenes.

Expectations don't come up outta nowhere and it's very fair to say that many people weren't expecting anything at all from the story and despite that, what we ended up getting seems to be worse than nothing for plenty here. Stop putting the onus of the blame on fans when there are DEFINITELY people at Square who are well aware of what they're doing, they know how to hype the fanbase up, they know what marketing techniques are most successful on fans vs casuals.

I refuse to see anyone blame fans for their expectations unless they're wildly off base and the person in question is attacking Square for not including their baseless wants but here's the thing a lot of people might not want to hear:

Almost nothing fans have been talking about on KHInsider, KH13, KH-Vids, KH ultimania, tumblr, reddit and twitter for over 15 years has been baseless.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Actually, I didn't think anything of the remake render. I thought it was cool and maybe she'd be a team member or something. But even the teams don't matter that much to me.

I got the impression that there would be a final boss solely from that teaser trailer of Kairi attacking the hooded figure, nothing else.

I didn't expect a full story throughout the game because they told us not to. I didn't expect the story was going to move an inch past remind because they told us not to. I barely know anything about the game play of the rhythm game itself other than the demo (never played a rhythm game before, I suck a lot yaknow). To me, this was going to be a Coded situation. 1 plot relevant cutscene at the very end plus a boss fight. That's it.

Based on that trailer of Kairi confronting the hooded figure, yes. I expected at the very end of the game, Kairi would defeat some kind of boss. Be it a real hooded figure or something conjured up from the rhythm game somehow.

"You were expecting this crazy thing!!!" I really wasn't, a lot of people weren't. So don't put words in peoples mouth.

As for other arguments I've seen
"Did you really think Kairi could defeat Xehanort??"

Apparently it's not even the real Xehanort though? It's a Xehanort conjured up from her memories (or someone pretending to be). So, she can totally conjure up a memory to transform into Sora to defeat fake Xehanort, but she can't conjure up any power of her own to defeat him herself? The writing team could've just as easily had Kairi summon her own inner strength to defeat Xehanort, or pull a BbS Aqua vs Venitas where Aqua summoned the power for friendship to give herself one last boost of strength.

We really do just wrap ourselves in dumb logic just to make things make sense. I mean, it is Kingdom Hearts and it's been like this for a while, but it feels like it's getting a little worse every day.

Kairi transforming into Sora just to fight Xehanort is pretty much my sole issue with what happened (other than Riku's hesitance making Kairi second guess herself)

Cumguardian69

Awards
^kirabook

I mostly agree with what you said except the last bit. Riku cut her off before she could finish speaking. She was always going to say that she was inexperienced and unable to follow - unlike Sora, she knows her limits and doesn't believe in "supernatural" abilities to make unreality a reality. She'll do what she can but she doesn't have literal plot hax to rewrite time.

^Zip

No, she isn't even "playable" (Memory Dive seriously?) And she gets mistreated through and through. To be honest we are lucky to even get the old school Kairi and KH3 Sora models, but the point is that the overly positive fans who are wanting to call "muh false advertising" actually failed themselves and overhyped what MoM was going to be.

May-Jor

Awards
Why does Kairi need to stay back an train? Why is training suddenly a concern now? Isn't it tradition in video games to have a character with a weak and minuscule arsenal so they can power up throughout the game, to the point where they go out of their way to de-power a protagonist who should be a lot stronger in a sequel? She's weak, yeah, but she's not a noncombatant like Namine, so she's already at a good starting point.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of the constant "maybe next time" or "just you wait, she'll be important, they're building it up!". I've had this song and dance before, it was never worth it in the end. So I don't blame people who aren't so positive about Kairi's position right now.

Back