• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Last Poem of the Semester

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Wrote this as my last assignment for my ENGL 304 class this semester. One of my favorite ones I did this semester, so thought I'd share. All criticisms welcome.

Learning Curve

I know how to love a child as a father should; my parents taught me how.
But a man loving a woman, and a woman a man, is something they neglected
to show me. So your patience is all I ask for.
How much patience? Much more than a false-starter has; if your anxiety
leads to you taking off at the slightest hint of unrest, you and I will never make it.
But you don’t need near as much patience as a praying man needs; I might not always respond as fast as you’d like, but I won’t leave you sitting in questioning silence for days, months, or years on end.
And if I ever do give you the silent treatment, you can be sure I’m shouting
“I love you!” in my head while I sit next to you…however, in all but the most perfect
of moments, I don’t know how to tell you this. I was never taught how.
I thought shouting, cursing, cheating, fighting, and triggering the dissolution of a home
was how all couples handled a disagreement.
Still, I’ll worship the rain that waters the grass that grows on the ground
that you walk on, while experience tells me not to.
Love was taken forcibly from me at a young age; it left me full of pain and anger,
too full for love to have any room within me. By the time I tried, years later,
to love willingly, she wanted more than I had to give.
But from that storm of a relationship, new life sprouted like a flower from the rain.
In the absence of the rain that produced it, I’ve done my best to sustain it, so
I know I have the devotion, attentiveness, and selflessness required to care for another.
Loving you is within my ability. I just need to be taught how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back