• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Laptop suggestions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
Hey there. I will be starting college soon, and I have finally thought about getting a new laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I will obviously have to use it for school work, but it will also be my main device for accessing these forums, as well as my other, more "professional" sites (email), as well as a good amount of memory, as I plan on using it to complete a video editing project I started last year. Also, Im going to need a webcam, as my gf and I will be in different states. And of course, preferably, a reasonable price.
Sorry if it seems really specific, and any suggestions are much appreciated.

p.s. I prefer Windows over Mac

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I'd reccomend, like I always do, go for a Desktop and not a Laptop, since they are much more useful (the only negative is the portability). Most powerful Laptops (and you'll need it to be powerful if your going to be using video/audio/image editing software) lose battery life too quickly to be useful as portable anyways, so you'll be at a power outlet most the time. If you need a computer for in class to take notes and such you could get a netbook, which, contrary to popular belief, can be quite useful (using one now).

But, if you really, really need it to be a Laptop, I'd say you build it yourself (same if you go w/ a Desktop). Or, try to find a shop were they build their own computers (you'll find them cheaper and more powerful than buying from, say, Best Buy) if you don't know how to build it.

As for a webcam, most, if not all, Laptops have them if you buy from a store. And, Webcams are getting pretty cheap nowadays anyways, with camera tech getting cheaper. Actually, if you want the webcam to be quality, you'll have to buy a new one anyways.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
One word

Toshiba

Mo'bonking Toshiba if you've got the money. Don't get a Mac, HP, Dell (Dell = Alienware too btw), Acer, or Asus.

Toshiba, or get a custom laptop made.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
@Luap. that makes sense, but dorm life at college isn't exactly "roomy", so the laptop is also to help with space constraints. Also, the video stuff im doing isn't really too extreme, just something I'm working on casually in Windows movie maker. I just said that in case I ever make more (which an early plan is in the works)
@Professor hmm, never had Toshiba, but I will definintely look into it. knowing my parents, they would just instantly go to Dell because thats all they have

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
Do not get a Dell laptop. Argue with your parents. Their desktops are just fine but their laptops are built like garbage. I should know, I had to get mine serviced at least three times. After the third they have to give me a new one because the tech guy couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36435

toshiba is almost as bad as dell what the fuck are you guys talking about

If you plan on doing serious video editing and 3D modeling or whatever the dicks you meant by complete project, then you should probably go with a desktop then get a netbook for class and lectures and shit.
You will get much more for your money that way.

Pianoajd2

I highly recommend looking at newegg, as a place to start. Newegg.com - Laptop Computers, Notebooks

I'm a to-be college student as well, and picked up an Acer from the site a few months back. It hasn't given me any trouble...yet.

Look into extended warranties too if you're not planning on opening it up and replacing components yourself.

O

Oberon

Toshiba PC's require less than half the maintenance of an hp, sony, dell or acer in terms of hardware issues. Yeah, they're sooooo shitty.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
@Luap. that makes sense, but dorm life at college isn't exactly "roomy", so the laptop is also to help with space constraints. Also, the video stuff im doing isn't really too extreme, just something I'm working on casually in Windows movie maker. I just said that in case I ever make more (which an early plan is in the works)

Desktop's really don't take up too much space. Just have to find a nice place near a wall outlet, put the PC there on its side, and the monitor on top. The mouse and keyboard can be stored away in a dresser or something when you aren't using it. Really only a couple feet of space.

D

Deleted member 36435

Toshiba PC's require less than half the maintenance of an hp, sony, dell or acer in terms of hardware issues. Yeah, they're sooooo shitty.
no, pretty much every brand is shitty aside from asus and acer

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah some of the Sony Vaoi desktops don't take up much space at all. I'm using one right now.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
What about the Alienware desktops/laptops? They look pretty good considering you customize them to your liking somewhat. I've only looked at them myself recently.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Victor it depends on what you do to it besides stating that though I really want to know if their bad or good as they say.

D

Deleted member 36435

No, the parts are overpriced and it is much cheaper to build your own. Okay, they aren't horrible computers, but the price of them are fucking outrageous.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
no, pretty much every brand is shitty aside from asus and acer

Incorrect:

17nov09compach0qw83.jpg

And this is why I went with Toshiba :) (Cheaper than Asus with comparable reliability rates, + I like asian companies). (Sony's are comparable too but overpriced).

My family has been through 3 HP laptops. None of them had good batteries (had to buy a new charger for one...), one had borked screen, and one overheated and the motherboard went bad.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
had my hp laptop since 2006 and it still running fine, well it act up here and there but i still use it for my primary computer since i always have it with me.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I got an Acer from the Aspire series, and it was pretty nice. Well, for the first month. Then it got a stupid yellow line on the screen and now I've had to ship it in for repairs. Not very happy.

Though I've heard that most Acers are quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back