• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Laptop Suggestions for...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos-Shadow

Shadow
Website
www.myspace.com
Ok well my dad says hes going to get me a laptop for passing my freshman year with a 3.0GPA. So orignaly im going to get this laptop.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...broadvision.session.new=Yes&BV_UseBVCookie=No

Basicly what i want to do is turn it into <british accent>a damn bloody hell</british accent> good entertainment computer. Basicly what i want is to play games, watch movies, make graphics, etc. + make the WIFI fast as possible. What do u guys suggest

C

Crimson

Hps are good for gaming and stuff like that but i use Dell XPS. But if your going with that i'd use an IEEE 802.11b/2.4GHz 11Mbps Wireless lan card. And for graphix you can try photo shop cs or cs2, 3ds max or coral painter their all pretty good if you have any more questions you can pm them to me.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Eh.. it's about as powerful as my current desktop.
The only thing that's better is it's a dualcore 64bit chip.
(Kinda like having an AMD Athlon XP 64 X2.. but it's intel.)

If money isn't a problem, look into getting an alienware laptop.
Those laptops are the most 'badass' things you can get, period.
(Though they are abit more expensive.)
But well worth it.

Crimson said:
Hps are good for gaming and stuff like that but i use Dell XPS. But if your going with that i'd use an IEEE 802.11b/2.4GHz 11Mbps Wireless lan card. And for graphix you can try photo shop cs or cs2, 3ds max or coral painter their all pretty good if you have any more questions you can pm them to me.

First off.. do NOT go with 802.11B.. or if you can, atleast get a 'combo' card. One that has 802.11B & 802.11G. (You'll also want an ethernet port, on the laptop.. sometimes wired IS better.)

Now, I use both 802.11B & 802.11G.. in fact, my personal wifi network currently runs on 802.11B. (I need to go by an 802.11G card.. atleast.. another one.. long story.) 802.11B runs at 11MB/s (Well.. 1 speeds of 1mb, 2mb, 5mb, 8mb, and 11mb..) Depending on the environment, you could get 11Mb/s connections or 1mb connection.. or none at all. 802.11G has the same 'issue' as 802.11B.. but it is MUCH faster. 802.11G can run theoratically (in perfect conditions..) at 108MB/s.. with 'real world' speeds of 54MB/s connections.. Yes, ALOT faster. And the range of a 'good' 802.11G card is alot farther than 802.11B.

I currently use a Belkin 802.11B/G router for my WLAN.
(Wireless Local Area Network.)
And I well.. 'destroyed' my 802.11G card.
So I currently use my 802.11B card.
A Cisco Aironet 520+ I think.. it's about $100-250 on froogle or on ebay..
New, it costs between $750-1,000+.. very expensive.. but this is what major corporations use for their own WiFi networks.. :rolleyes:

And believe me.. Cisco and Linksys are the best WiFi equipment makers.
(Cisco is the best, if money isn't a concern.. Linksys is for the more pratical person.)

~~Azurith

Chaos-Shadow

Shadow
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the help guys ^^, and Azurith, do u think u can give me a link to a wireless network router from lynksys cisco seems way out of my leage x.x (money wise)

Azurith

Awards
Chaos-Shadow said:
Thanks for the help guys ^^, and Azurith, do u think u can give me a link to a wireless network router from lynksys cisco seems way out of my leage x.x (money wise)

Here's one from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190
It's 802.11B/G wifi Router. (And also has ethernet support. 802.3/3u )

Is this what your looking for..?

You could probably find a cheaper one somewheres.

~~Azurith

Chaos-Shadow

Shadow
Website
www.myspace.com
Yeah this is a great one, thanks ^^
o hey and i wanted to ask a question. this thing called "TV Tuner" does that let ya watch TV, or do u have to plug it into ur tv to watch tv on the laptop?

Azurith

Awards
Chaos-Shadow said:
Yeah this is a great one, thanks ^^
o hey and i wanted to ask a question. this thing called "TV Tuner" does that let ya watch TV, or do u have to plug it into ur tv to watch tv on the laptop?

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'TV tuner'.. if you mean a 'video capture card' yea, you can watch tv on a laptop or any computer really.. If you connect it to a vcr, dvdplayer, ps2, xbox, etc.. you can use your computer instead of your tv. Basically it 'captures' the input that would else be sent to the tv. Another goody.. it allows you to setup 'tivo like' abilities on your laptop.. letting you record tv onto your laptop.. ^.^

~~Azurith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back