• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kojima Confirms MGS4 to be for the "Theater" System

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sephy 9 2 5

Well unless this is a joke you all know what its for then.

Stop with the rumors of multi-platform. It's over for now. Deal with it and get over it.

Oh and Super Eclipse 100% chance huh? That's 1 one for us bud.

Feature: Talkin' Metal Gear With Hideo Kojima - Kotaku

Kojima/Kotaku said:
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Metal Gear. 20 years. It's a long time to be making the same game. So I ask him if he's surprised that he's still churning out Metal Gear games this far down the line. "I'm very surprised", he says. "Twenty years ago when I created my first one, I thought it'd just be over. To be more extreme, I didn't think the fist one would sell at all!".

Oh, but sell they did, and when games sell, you make more of them. "But I have kept making Metal Gear games", he says. "When I look back, while it looks like the same game, I've been adding new features and using new technology each time, so it's never felt like I've been making the same game."

This focus on new tech was a big part of his address, as with each advance in console hardware he says he was able to make fundamental changes to the series, culminating in the crazy wartime escapades of MGS4. "I have to say, the evolution of technology, that has helped me to keep 'creating' Metal Gear", he adds.

Since Metal Gear Solid 4 has come up, I do the polite thing and ask how it's coming along. "Its almost at the 'shooting stage' of creating a movie", Kojima says. "All the design and scenarios are finished, we're just completing the actual game".

It's been a long time coming, so it can't have been easy. Kojima agrees. "Nothing was easy", he says. "Everything has been hard, because we've set not just a high bar for ourselves but a number of bars. So there's nothing easy, everything is hard!"

With rumble having been a key aspect of the series thus far, I ask him his thoughts on the issue now that Sony and Immersion have made kissy-kissy. "I want to use rumble, yes", he says, "but it's a race against time. If it can make it in in time I'd like to use it, yes."

"The part that's troubling me, I cant really say...". He pauses. Oh, do go on: "...but we always designed the game without rumble, and I had great ideas without rumble, so if rumble comes back we have a decision to make whether to leave that new feature in or to take it out and replace it with rumble".

Could you patch it? A later update would at least give players the choice. "I want to implement it, rumble, yes", he says. "I'm not thinking about a patch, though". Oh. Well, early days, I guess. Maybe rumble and motion-sensing can't get along after all?

He won't say, but if he had to choose between the two, it looks like rumble would win out. His "other" idea doesn't have a nickname and a long-term relationship with the company. "Ever since MGS1 there was a specific guy, nicknamed the 'rumble creator', who worked on it for us", he says. "But he's been on a long vacation since we didn't think rumble was going to be in MGS4, so we're calling him back right now". Hmm. Long vacation sounds...ominous.

Moving on, I remind him of a comment he made last year comparing each of the three current consoles to "different kinds of dinner". Did he still think that was the case, now that all three are on the market? Nope. "They're more like a movie theatre metaphor", he says.

"The PS3 is like the theatre, it's a little bit high-priced but it has to be high quality as well. The 360 is a DVD, it still needs to be high quality but you need more variations, while the Wii is almost like a TV channel, because every game you have it with your family".

I look for a funny/revealing insight into the comment, then realise he's probably quite close to the mark. Still, by that admission, if the PS3 is Hollywood, is he feeling the heat of being the system's first big, exclusive title? "Yes, there is pressure", he admits, "but there is Final Fantasy XIII coming out as well, so it's not all me!".

Still on MGS4, I ask whether this really is the end. He's said repeatedly he wants to walk away at the end of this game, and the trailers seem to show everyone from the series getting together for one final shootout. So when MGS4 hits, will you hang up your boots? "Well, atually its really up to the users, its up to them to decide", he offers.

"If users want more Metal Gear, then I will probably step up as producer, like the James Bond series does", he says. "That way I can have new, upcoming directors making MGS while I oversee the project, and then perhaps I can move onto something new".

Something new, eh? Like your long, and oft-rumoured collaboration with Suda? "The collaboration with Suda is a little different", Kojima says. "It's something I've been thinking about for about 10 years now, but unfortunately can't concentrate on right now because we're so busy with MGS4".

Pity. So, Devil May Cry 4, going multiplatform. Thoughts? Comments? "I think it's up to each project, and the individual producer", he says. "If they want to take it multiplatform, they will". I'm going somewhere with this question, and he knows exactly where that is...

"But like I said, MGS4 is aimed for the movie theatre, it's aimed for the PS3, so the game's scenario and graphics need this theatre-type hardware. It's when a producer has a game that can work on the 'DVD level' that a game will go multiplatform", he says. Sorry kids. Your "OMGMGS4360" banners will have to come out another day.

Since we've opened up this can of worms, I may as well get his thoughts on it. Why, I ask, do you think this rumour simply refuses to go away? "Because 360 owners want it on 360, obviously", he quips.

Righto. Moving right along, I ask about Kojima Productions. Does having your own company make it easier to focus on games, or are you finding yourself caught up in boring business stuff?

"That's a very difficult question to answer, because I can't really say", he says. "It's both. It's now quicker, the speed of making games is faster. But at the same time, because of this speed you need to make tough business decisions quicker, so it's had both its good and its bad points".

Anyone who's sat through a good, hearty MGS talk-fest knows Kojima loves his movies. So I ask, if you had your time again, would you have still gone into games? Or would you have rather made movies for a crust?

"Well, if I could go back in time to the point where I hadn't created a game yet, and didn't know how much fun they were, then I would probably choose to become a movie director", Kojima says. "But, don't get me wrong, it's really fun to create games, and knowing how much fun games are I'd take the same path. I hope I can continue to create games for as long as I live".

But what about media outside of movies? Do you draw inspiration from books, comics and music? "Well, yes, everything", he says. "Novels, comics, it all effects me and inspires me. I only have 24 hours a day, so I listen to music while I work, I can read books when I get home and only after those, because they take so much time, do I watch movies. But they all inspire me".

And that was that. Charming fellow. And rad MGS4 shirt to boot.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Well. . .it kinda sucks that it's not getting ported. . .meh, I can live. . .just go by a ps3 eventually and laugh at everyone who's one sided while I'm enjoying everything. . .

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
So he's saying that in order to enjoy his game, you need to pay a preposterous amount of money? Pretty bold statement there, his game better be worth it if he's saying that kind of thing.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Isn't this exactly what they said for games such as...Devil May Cry 4...Resident Evil 4...Assasin's Creed...Armored Core 4...see where I'm going with this? "It's made only for this system! It will never go to another system" is always said...up until they announce that it's going multi-platform

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
Isn't this exactly what they said for games such as...Devil May Cry 4...Resident Evil 4...Assasin's Creed...Armored Core 4...see where I'm going with this? "It's made only for this system! It will never go to another system" is always said...up until they announce that it's going multi-platform

That's what is making me think that it is going multi platform. It seems that the more they talk about it, the more likely it's not going to be an exclusive.

sephy 9 2 5

Yeah I see Muffin. That's exactly why I stated for now.

I'm just going to say after reading this bit I don't think Kojima is BSing me. Also he never said it was "made" for the PS3 he stated it was "aimed" for it. Better suited which all of those games you mentioned probably were.

Kojima said:
But like I said, MGS4 is aimed for the movie theatre, it's aimed for the PS3, so the game's scenario and graphics need this theatre-type hardware. It's when a producer has a game that can work on the 'DVD level' that a game will go multiplatform", he says.

But hey who knows. If MGS4 goes multi-platform in the end then I'm done with trusting 3rd parties for good and I personally will no longer care as much for their games.

Except for Nintendo. I can always trust them.

Attack! Attack!

Darkest Hour
If it's PS3 exclusive, I wouldn't really care, MGS is not a favorite series of mine, I have only played 1 & 2 anyways. But of course, if it goes multi-platform, in this case I mean it spreads to the 360, then I'll still buy it.

Puck

THE GHOST ELF of LONG BEACH
I'm actually glad MGS is staying a Sony exclusive. The PS3 does need some exclusives. Plus it makes the whole Halo/MGS battle more fun.

The only series I want to go multiplatform is KH. FF and MGS can stay Sony exclusives.

Omni_VII

PSWii C:
I'm actually glad MGS is staying a Sony exclusive. The PS3 does need some exclusives. Plus it makes the whole Halo/MGS battle more fun.

The only series I want to go multiplatform is KH. FF and MGS can stay Sony exclusives.

The day that I see the Kingdom Hearts logo with that green and white will be a sad, sad day. A very strange one as well.

Just as Planned

meandhideo.jpg

I want Hideo's shirt.

Leik srysly. (also, the expression on mister plunkett's face is priceless)

Oh and Super Eclipse 100% chance huh? That's 1 one for us bud.
lollerskates

Cid Highwind

The Captain
Well. . .it kinda sucks that it's not getting ported. . .meh, I can live. . .just go by a ps3 eventually and laugh at everyone who's one sided while I'm enjoying everything. . .

exactly, why be one sided when you can have EVERYTHING! i really don't mind what system it's coming out for, as long as it kicks an amazing amount of ass.

sephy 9 2 5

I'm going to put this out before it starts:

Let's not turn this thread into an 'exclusives' argument.

Good point. Puck you heard him hush.

Also Super Eclipse tell your buddies at XBOX 360 forums to stop calling Kojima ignorant and that he was paid to make those statements. He is a developer and apparently that's how he feels in particular. So what. They need to get over it.

To say things like if "MGS4 was built the ground up for the 360 it would probably run better and more effectively than the PS3" is ignorant if anything. Very biased.

That's complete and utter BS.

I don't see any of those hypocrites calling him ignorant over what he said about the Wii. He's not familiar with their hardware either. =/

Zaraki

Also Super Eclipse tell your buddies at XBOX 360 forums to stop calling Kojima ignorant and that he was paid to make those statements. He is a developer and apparently that's how he feels in particular. So what. They need to get over it.

To say things like if "MGS4 was built the ground up for the 360 it would probably run better and more effectively than the PS3" is ignorant if anything. Very biased.

I don't see any of those hypocrites calling him ignorant over what he said about the Wii. He's not familiar with their hardware either. =/

take your own advice buddy. sounds like your trying to start an argument

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net

I only go to one xbox forum. Thats Teamxbox.

This doesn't mean anything, Capcom said DMC4 would never work on 360.. Yet it's coming.

Mark my words it will come.. If doesn't it's his lost, MGS has always done better in the west then Japan. Thats where the 360 is winning and PS3 losing.. So I guess MGS4 will only do good in Japan.

Even the best game designers can be just as stupid and ignorant as anyone else.

PS: Looks like people like the DVD player and TV channel more. :)

EDIT.

Btw, Kojima is directly contradicting himself in this comments About MGS4 running on the 360. So yea Sony pulled some strings((threw in some cash)).

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards

This doesn't mean anything, Capcom said DMC4 would never work on 360.. Yet it's coming.

Mark my words it will come.. If doesn't it's his lost, MGS has always done better in the west then Japan. Thats where the 360 is winning and PS3 losing.. So I guess MGS4 will only do good in Japan.

PS: Looks like people like the DVD player and TV channel more. :)

EDIT.

Btw, Kojima is directly contradicting himself in this comments About MGS4 running on the 360. So yea Sony pulled some strings((threw in some cash)).

Whenever I get a ps3, I'll buy it, so that's one more person. . .if I get a ps3 before Assassin's Creed and DMC4 come out I'll consider getting it for the ps3, it all depends on how the reviews do for each system. . .

sephy 9 2 5

Apparently I know what forum you were in. =D

Kojima is not Sakugachi....or whatever his name is. Capcom has literally no credibility now. They bash american pubs for doing games for the money yet they go to MS for the money. Capcom should never ever be used as your reasoning for matters.

Super Eclipse said:

What do you mean its his loss? He can do whatever he wants with his last game as MGS director. And it should rightfully end where it started, Playstation.

Um what platform was he successful on in the West bud? Certainly not the XBOX.

There are way more people sitting on the fence for the system they want than MS's 10m install base. If MGS4 comes PS3's will be bought and software will sell. There is still 100 million+ last-gen owners out there who have not bought a next-gen system.

Super Eclipse said:
S: Looks like people like the DVD player and TV channel more. :)

How so? I see plenty of DVD/Blu-Ray titles. Titles that I want. And when Spiderman comes out trust me nearly everyone will like the BR format.

Super Eclipse said:

No he is not. He said that its possible to run MGS4 on the 360. Fact.

In this interview he never denies MGS4 can be run on the 360. Fact.

The only difference in both interviews is that he clearly states he wants a "theatre" system to generate the MGS4 experience. Never did he say "the 360 can not run MGS4." Unlike how you put it SE over at the other forum.

He may have implied it with his DVD = multi-platform statement but obviously that's assumption on the reader's part. Until he says MGS4 can not run on the 360 then MGS4 can run on the 360.

Look MS needs to make new franchises of their own and create their own idenitity. So they can actually leave their own unique mark on the market. Leeching exclusives of the competition is not the right way to go.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
sephy 9 2 5 said:
Apparently I know what forum you were in. =D
You go there 2?

And it should rightfully end where it started, Playstation.
The thing is MGS didn't start on Playstation.

Um what platform was he successful on in the West bud? Certainly not the XBOX.
Xbox1?

Yea it was failure. I didn't care for. I like PS2, but IMO Sony ___ed up this gen and MS got it right..

And yes the 360 is doing better in the west.

There are way more people sitting on the fence for the system they want than MS's 10m install base. If MGS4 comes PS3's will be bought and software will sell. There is still 100 million+ last-gen owners out there who have not bought a next-gen system.
Just because everyone had a PS2 doesn't mean they will own a PS3. So far MS is winning this gen.. More and likely will. It will be between The Wii and 360.

The only difference in both interviews is that he clearly states he wants a "theatre" system to generate the MGS4 experience. Never did he say "the 360 can not run MGS4." Unlike how you put it SE.
If you mean my thread on that forum.. It was to get people to read it.

How so? I see plenty of DVD/Blu-Ray titles. Titles that I want. And when Spiderman comes out trust me nearly everyone will like the BR format.
Movies or games?

I can name only two first party games I want and two 3rd party games I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back