• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV - Digital August 30, BR/DVD October 4

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The reason there's 2 different Kingsglaive on PSN is because one of them is a bundle of the movie + behind-the-scenes stuff and the other one is just the movie by itself.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Is anyone aware that this movie is supposedly terrible? (By that, I mean that critics have popped on this movie) I'm gonna watch it anyways, though. It's available on iTunes but I don't have enough space.....

I think it depends on your expectations. If you're expecting an impressive two hour set-up for the game, it seems to be exactly as good as such a movie could ever be. If you expect it to be some stand-alone masterpiece, then no it probably isn't a very good movie.

Most of us are more interested in the game than the movie and will probably enjoy it greatly for what it is.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
You didn't like it? Why not? No spoilers, pls!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You didn't like it? Why not? No spoilers, pls!

I didn't hate it. In fact, I had a lot of fun with the film. It's beautiful and exciting, but then all of the little things really hurt the film and make it hard to enjoy it for what it is.

The editing is really bad which can take you out of the experience or just leave you confused. Some story lines are just a waste of time. They were done obviously for some world building, but ultimately lead nowhere. If those irrelevant story lines had been cut from the film, the story could have focused on more important areas that needed fleshing out. The only thing that could really redeem it is if those threads are picked up in FFXV but somehow I'm not expecting it at all.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
It looked like it had the options for both, yeah (with subtitles for the Japanese version of the film, but don't quote me on that). I haven't really looked at the options for the movie at all, but just quickly made sure that it looked like I was getting the English one before purchasing (because there may have been two different downloads for the two different languages... maybe). Sorry. I'm not used to buying movies on PSN, so the whole thing is kind of confusing for me. I'm probably not much help here for you at all:/
The reason there's 2 different Kingsglaive on PSN is because one of them is a bundle of the movie + behind-the-scenes stuff and the other one is just the movie by itself.

Thanks, I`ll check it at PSN to see if there is an option. If it does not have Japanese audio, then I guess I`ll just watch it with the English one. Then I can finally stop avoiding spoilers about this movie.

Scorseselover

Re: Final Fantasy XV - November 29th 2016

I finally saw Kingsglaive last night. Not only is this the most disappointing movie of the year (moreso than Suicide Squad) but it's also one of the worst video game movie I've ever seen! This movie gave no damns about trying to build character at all, it seems more fascinated in whoring out Final Fantasy XV to people who are looking forward to the game (which I am it's my most anticipated game of the year). Almost every bit of dialogue in the movie is exposition, but what's worse about it is that kind of dialogue came from characters who might as well be extras because we don't see these characters again after all that BS talk. Lena Headey was utterly useless because she was only there for Aaron Paul to look after her. Oh and I love how they sideline this team member who I guess was supposed to be a love interest for Aaron Paul by just simply killing her just so he could form a bond with Lena Headey (even though they never attempted that at all), that was not forced at all. 1/10. I can't give it a 0 because anything Square Enix does is of course gonna look visually appealing.

Kounelli

Awards
Dang that's rough haha

I saw it and was generally pleased, I liked how it was structured and felt better about this than Advent Children when I first saw that.

That female character you are referring to though was definitely not meant to be Nyx's love interest, I did not see that at all o_O

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
UK Kingsglaive Steelbook Edition now comes with the Brotherhood episodes! Unfortunately, there is still no Japanese dub included for Kingsglaive (which comes with the North American release).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsglaive-Fantasy-Steelbook-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B01H1U3VD4/

2roknpj.jpg

v8kl0.jpg

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I'm rewatching Kingsglaive for the third time this year.

Overall, there's just a few things I would change but otherwise I think it's a solid FF film.

- Remove Libertus
- Make Lunafreya look more like her in-game model. Feels like I'm watching a completely different character.
- Lip sync more intune with the mouth. For a film that was created with English in mind, it's baffling that the mouths still don't match the audio.
- More expressive faces. A lot of the time, Nyx or Lunafreya are delivering emotional dialogue and their face doesn't reflect that.
- Remove Libertus.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy XV - November 29th 2016

Just finished watching the movie Kingsglaive and I gotta say I have some mixed feelings on it.

On the positive side, there were many really awesome general FF references with i.e. the Niflheim demons looking (and attacking) like Diamond Weapon, fucking Ultros being a serious enemy in the airship battle sequence and the "King's power" being essentially the Knights of the Round in giant form.
Sean Bean and Lena Headey are of course living up to their fame as voice actors, although I do feel the latter and thus her character Lunafreya was a little wasted in the plot itself. It's almost as if she could have a bigger, more central role but wasn't allowed to have it in favor for more flashy battle scenes for the main male lead.
Besides Lunafreya, Chancellor Ardyn Izunia already captured my interest simply because he seems to be a rather interesting and entertaining villain. He's flippant, sarcastic and seems to have a few screws loose (if that isn't an act, though), almost like a mixture of Xigbar and Kefka Palazzo.
General Glauca is also an interesting appearance mostly because just how much punishment this asshole can endure and still keep trucking. It's almost as if you need to blast his hide with nothing less than Ultima to finally keep him down. His red broadsword is also something to take note of.
Emperor Aldercapt on the other hand comes over a little pale, despite his quite promising banter with King Regis and the (implied) bigger plans he has in store.
Lunafreya's brother also isn't really that much tolerable, in fact he's arguably the character that personally annoyed me the most out of the movie cast, totally misplacing blame and reminding me awfully of Machina from FF Type-0.

Which brings me to the more negative vibes. To put it short: A little too much battling, only revealing implications for bigger plot points and too few really tangible effort to make the set up possible plotlines work.
The only main plot point that apparently really got a bit more focus was the (false) peace offering and the theft of the crystal, yet the conspiracy to conquer Insomnia apparently with some traitors among the Kingsglaives themselves and the regular popolace was not really touched upon much. There were several traitors but how they became as such and what their motivations were is just scratched if at all.

Of course, if this serves just as a setup for the game this may be understandable, yet I doubt that many of the answers the film leaves out can actually be addressed properly in the game considering that I expect none of the movie characters except Lunafreya and maybe Ardyn/Emperor Aldercapt to play an actual central role throughout it.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I watched Kingsglaive earlier today and I really enjoyed it. Which surprised me because I didn't like Spirits Within, Advent Children, or that TV series, so I expected this movie to be bad going in. I almost wish this was FFXV. I was a little disappointed when I realized Nyx doesn't have any part in FFXV at all. Really loved him, he might've ended up one of my favorite FF leads. I really liked Regis, too, Lunafreya was okay, and I enjoyed the plot for the most part. Too bad Noctis didn't really appear outside of brief moments in the intro and after the credits.

I'm definitely encouraged to buy FFXV now, once the price comes down (since $40 is high enough, much less $60, jeez). Hopefully the battle system isn't a mess though. I mean, I liked the characters/story in XIII, too; the battle system is what ruined it for me. So the story in XV is compatible with what happens in the movie, right? I'm assuming XV is what's happening with Noctis before Lunafreya reunites with him.

@Chaser: I didn't mind Libertus?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Just finished watching Kingsglaive. I don't know where the hate comes from. It wasn't a SPECTACULAR movie, but it was okay. It was a lil' bit above average. The first half is a mess because you've got the War-Treaty plot, and at the same time the lives of some characters as well. But the second half is better. I actually like it because it complements what the game itself lacks: exposure from side characters. And I agree with Chaser: they should remove Libertus. He's only role was to try and emotionally tie us to Crowe. Other than that, "he's just there".

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
Just finished watching Kingsglaive. I don't know where the hate comes from. It wasn't a SPECTACULAR movie, but it was okay. It was a lil' bit above average. The first half is a mess because you've got the War-Treaty plot, and at the same time the lives of some characters as well. But the second half is better. I actually like it because it complements what the game itself lacks: exposure from side characters. And I agree with Chaser: they should remove Libertus. He's only role was to try and emotionally tie us to Crowe. Other than that, "he's just there".

I agree, I really liked it (you can find my critique in previous parts of this thread).

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Just watched both Brotherhood and Kingsglaive and enjoyed all of it. Is it worth watching if you're not going to play the game? Not really? But they made me really excited to boot up the game, which I finally did immediately afterwards. As a long CGI intro to the game, which is basically is, it works really well.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Final Fantasy and Nightwish… now THAT would be an amazing combination!

Since everyone’s shared their thoughts on Kingsglaive, I’ll bring my two cents on it because my opinion on the movie actually changed before the game came out and after it.

Before the game came out, I actually really enjoyed the movie. It is easily the best Final Fantasy movie that was ever made and the climax and just about everything regarding the Niflheim invasion was fantastic. I enjoyed King Regis, General Glauca, Ardyn Izunia, and Emperor Aldercapt (although I was disappointed by how little we saw of him in the movie, I was optimistic we would see a lot more in the game)

When it came to things that I felt were lacking in the movie (explanation on Ravus being unclear, Lunafreya not being that great of a character, etc.), I felt that things left unexplained or lacking would be recognized in the final game.

Now, after having played the game, my opinion on the movie is a little different. Now, when I think of the movie, I’m very disappointed that the movie just wasn’t a part of the game. Nearly every single trailer for the game from 2006 to 2013 was about playing through the Niflheim invasion, only for it to be cut out and rewritten to be in a movie. And honestly it’s very sad to say that a video game-based movie provided more clear exposition and impressive moments than the actual game did.

While I still enjoy Kingsglaive as an entertaining action movie, all it ever really does to me lately is make me wish that I could play the Final Fantasy XV I thought I was going to get since 2006. I’m not going to be one of those people going, “omg, everything about FFXV currently sucks, worst FF ever, Tabata is the devil, etc.” because I still enjoyed the game/movies/anime for what they were, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think splitting up FFXV's story like that was one of the dumbest moves made by Square when handling this project.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
[video=youtube;AlHR0QztA9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHR0QztA9Q[/video]

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'm not even sure how to react besides finding it pretty hilarious. Was this a commercial for Kingsglaive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back