• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts X[chi] Had Plans to be Localized

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

According to a source close to SiliconeraKingdom Hearts X[chi] was definitely going to be localized and released in English by Disney, as we had discovered in November last year. Apparently, this all changed earlier this year, when Playdom, a social game network owned by Disney Interactive, unfortunately closed down.

What will happen to us?

This does not necessarily mean that Square Enix have given up on bringing us this Kingdom Hearts browser-title, as claimed by another of Siliconera's source close to Square Enix. According to said source, the developer has been busy discussing with other publishers in the west who could be willing to bring us the game overseas.

You might remember that back in November of 2013, shortly after we discovered the code for the localisation, John Pleasants hinted at a Kingdom Hearts Online game that was in development by studio in Seoul, South Korea. It was confirmed that were working on an online Kingdom Hearts game, however apart from what Pleasants said, there has been no announcement regarding a localised online Kingdom Hearts game.

For those unfamiliar with the title, Kingdom Hearts X[chi] is a social browser game based on the Keyblade War or, in fact, the fairytale told by Kairi's grandmother in the first game and Birth by Sleep. Even though the game is not based on official canon, there are however some story related elements which connect it to the highly anticipated Kingdom Hearts 3 on PS4 and Xbox One.

Help us get localised, Kupo!

Kingdom Hearts X[chi] had the user create an avatar that journeyed through various Disney worlds to collect Lux and defeat the threat of the Heartless. Guided by the mysterious Chirithy, players were given the chance to explore the untold history of their favourite Kingdom Hearts worlds.

Those interested in playing the game in Japanese can still do so, as it is still being updated to this day and free to play. We have provided translations and helpful guides so non-Japanese speakers can enjoy the game to the fullest.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX- & Kingdom Hearts 3!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Such a shame. Kingdom Hearts x would have brought in a profit for NA Disney. Hopefully another studio picks the game up.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
'Tis really unfortunate. We were so excited about the possibility of the game being localised and now it's all going down the sink. But at least we still can generate awareness of the game thanks to the thread that Sign has made, and who knows, perhaps with enough buzz someone (or a company) will notice the existence and potential of this game, step up, and rekindle the torch.

For now, let's keep being "ambassadors" to the game~

Heartkeeper

Awards
Let's hope they find a publisher, it will be cool to play in english while we wait for KH3.

Narxus

I hope they find someone. I suck with language barriers and it looks like such a fun game

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
(If Disney doesn't decide to just get their Kingdom Hearts Online game out) I really think this could be as successful as a lot of those other social games on FB and on phones. It's a shame that there isn't a service similar to what Japan has in gangbusters.

des97

Awards
I wish they localized it, not only for the fun of playing it, but also because it seems to be partially canonical (well hell it is!).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I wish they localized it, not only for the fun of playing it, but also because it seems to be partially canonical (well hell it is!).

Well, as stated in the article, there is more to it than localizing it, but actually finding a company with the infrastructure for a social game like chi.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm so upset right now :(

Full frontal assault into the KHx Raising Awareness thread!

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Playdom? I never heard of that, and I can't be the only one. KHX would have brought them a profit.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Playdom? I never heard of that, and I can't be the only one. KHX would have brought them a profit.

They were a very big social game company but after they were sued for disclosing children's information without parental consent and I guess weren't bringing in the revenue expected of them, Disney closed their doors.

nuyi

Awards
i don't know, but i just think is best to stay with the original if disney wouldn't pick it up.
i mean, i just don't trust another company.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
i don't know, but i just think is best to stay with the original if disney wouldn't pick it up.
i mean, i just don't trust another company.

It wasn't that Disney didn't pick it up. It was that they closed the company that had the infrastructure in place for such a game, so they dropped the plans. There are probably a few firms out there that can do this that aren't Zynga, King, or Facebook. Chi is not handled by Disney in Japan, but by Yahoo! JP so it doesn't matter who will serve as the host for their services.

They are probably looking at cost effectiveness (will the price of paying this firm be worth whatever revenue will be made from in-game purchases?, how much of a percentage is the firm looking for?), marketability (does this firm have a bad rep?, will they promote the game in a way that will get people to join? will this game even "sell" well to fans and non-fans?), and they also probably have to deal with all of the contract writing, what localization firm will be willing to work with the social game service firm, and a million other things.

Antar

Awards
I hope KH chi gets localized, I would definitely play it!

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
When real money and gambling mechanics are involved it's quite difficult to release something to another market from a legal standpoint. Of course SE could just localize the Japanese version but most of the English speaking community that would profit from this breaks and will break several agreements that are tied to the yahoo jp account.

In short someone has to pick this game up to make a localization justifiable. If the game ends someday maybe we'll get a re:/fm version of it with coop, more challenging battle mechanics and a concluded story.

minttea

Wow, I'm really surprised that Playdom closed down. I thought Marvel Avengers Alliance was a pretty popular app?

I was wondering why this game hadn't come out overseas yet; games like these seem popular and Square/Disney have never really been shy about trying to make cash off of Kingdom Hearts (see: the short-lived TCG).

I hope this comes out so bad, I would waste so much time on a KH browser game, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back