• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts WILL have a happy ending theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

PStuder12321

So this is just a theory but I've talked a lot with people on the forums on wether or not Kingdom hearts WILL have a happy ending and then I was thinking about it and im PRETTY POSITIVE it will and heres why. So theres a few key points that I feel Nomura has fed us that people are over looking a bit understandably as Nomura has been toying so much with us on this subject. HOWEVER, in KH3 if you get all the photo missions you get a keyblade called the oathkeeper. Given to Sora as a sign that he always keeps his promises. and multiple times during the game it mentions, when your heart and mind are made up there is no changing it. nothing REALLY came of it in the game other then some small decision making. HOWEVER if you keep in mind that saying that's said many times throughout the game and the emphasis on one of the end game keyblades being centered around keeping your promises, then think aobut what sora says as he leaves to go save Kairi. I forget the exact wording however he says, I will save kairi, and we will all be together again. while yes they were TEMPORILY together again after wards its not truely the case as sora does end up leaving the group thus his promise is NOT fullfilled. (the reason why SO many were so upset with the ending and still are upset with it.) I think this is Nomura saying hey guys yeah they aren't together, but I promise that in the end, they will all end up together and have a happy ending. I may be grasping at straws but what do you all think? I feel when you put it together, it is a pretty solid theory, why else is there so many mentions towards promises being fullfilled and sora always keeping his word, and then right at the end sora says we WILL all be together. I feel its some major hinting for the future games.

OneDandelion

Awards
I've read a lot of stories where I felt that a great tragedy would amplify the theme or message but KH is not one of them. In my opinion one of the greatest concepts behind Kingdom Hearts is that the strength of a characters heart is enough to make miracles happen. That's something that people want to believe in real life as well, and KH does a pretty good job of making the feeling magical - that if you try hard enough and put faith in other people everything will work out. And sometimes it doesn't always turn out perfectly but more often the results are good enough to live with without regrets.

Imagine if Kingdom Hearts threw all that in the garbage. To be honest at this point, after so many games, it would be comical.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I feel like KH3 was Nomura getting his tragic and happy ending. We get all the celebrations across the worlds, even see that Kairi is back with Sora... and then Sora dies.

KH2 was the only truly happy ending of a KH game. I do wonder if the series will end on an actual happy note. Nomura seems to love tragic/melodramatic endings for KH games (which I prefer).

AR829038

Awards
There are typically four kinds of ending to any story:
1) The happy ending
2) The tragic ending
3) The bittersweet ending
4) The ambiguous ending
Of these four, a happy ending would just naturally befit Kingdom Hearts the best. It doesn't fit with any of these other types. The themes of the story are set up so as to be affirmed—friendship is supposed to win the day, light is supposed to triumph. In some stories that would be seen as cliché, but in this kind of a story, there couldn't really be any other kind of ending without it contradicting the whole message of the series.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Realistically, the series either continues indefinitely or abruptly stops when it ceases to be profitable.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think the next saga will end on a mostly happy note. Even if the entire universe of Kingdom Hearts is changed somehow I believe the heroes will come out of it alive and well.

Grey Skies

Awards
I expect the series to have good and bad things happen to the characters for as long as the series continues. That has always been the case. I don't think Nomura is willing to write a perfectly happy ending for as long as there is the possibility of more KH games being made, but he is also obviously not willing to let dead or suffering characters stay that way. They will always be saved or revived before being killed off or made miserable, and the cycle continues until the series ends.

If it weren't just obviously bad writing, I'd say it's a thematic choice for a series roughly based on cycles (the destruction and rebuilding of worlds, war then peace, light then darkness). Death and then revival and happiness and then sadness is also a cycle.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
There are typically four kinds of ending to any story:
1) The happy ending
2) The tragic ending
3) The bittersweet ending
4) The ambiguous ending
Of these four, a happy ending would just naturally befit Kingdom Hearts the best. It doesn't fit with any of these other types. The themes of the story are set up so as to be affirmed—friendship is supposed to win the day, light is supposed to triumph. In some stories that would be seen as cliché, but in this kind of a story, there couldn't really be any other kind of ending without it contradicting the whole message of the series.
Out of the four you mentioned, I thought ambiguous ending was basically the perfect fit for a KH ending. Nomura loves everything in KH being a mystery, maybe he'll even have the ending a mystery until he does an Ultimania.

AR829038

Awards
Out of the four you mentioned, I thought ambiguous ending was basically the perfect fit for a KH ending. Nomura loves everything in KH being a mystery, maybe he'll even have the ending a mystery until he does an Ultimania.
Nomura does like those ambiguous endings, but I don't think he would do one for the ultimate ending of the series. He usually does these for the other games because he knows that the story will still continue, so he wants to tease players and make them speculate. But I believe he will make a firm and definitive ending when the time comes for the series to wrap up to a close (which I hope is not for many years to come).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't know if KH will ever have a definitive end, but it would be positive if there was one. I know Nomura likes tragic endings going by the FF games he's been a part of. Still, KH is a Disney crossover and, besides, Sora is way too happy of a character to end with sadness.

welken

Awards
Whether or not they ever get there in a game, I always imagined Sora as destined to become a king, The King. And Kairi, his bride. But I wouldn't be so sure of a wholely happy ending for them. There is a dark tendency to this story. Anything claiming to be the culmination of the series will have its thorns.
Even if it's happily-ever-after for them, there'll be... something. Something unsettling, a little memento mori just in case you thought you could get off so easy.

Realistically, the series either continues indefinitely or abruptly stops when it ceases to be profitable.

Ain't that the truth. If Kingdom Hearts VI.ζ -our last word- Farewell Mix is a success (and in 2042, what else will we be left with) then surely there will be another. KH may even outlive us.

Awards
Whether or not they ever get there in a game, I always imagined Sora as destined to become a king, The King. And Kairi, his bride.

Yeah. "Bride" is easier for me to swallow than "princess". Seriously, if you stick to their titles, it'll be "the king will marry (fuck) the princess". Not prince, not queen, just king and princess. That's..... quite an oversight when translated into english.

PStuder12321

If it weren't just obviously bad writing, I'd say it's a thematic choice for a series roughly based on cycles (the destruction and rebuilding of worlds, war then peace, light then darkness). Death and then revival and happiness and then sadness is also a cycle.

So yeah I do gotta admit as much as I LOVE Kingdom Hearts at this point the cycle of bittersweet is just bad wrting which Im assuming Nomura has realized as its seeming like hes gonna maybe just MAYBE cut the seperation crap out, Ive commented on this else where where its just bogging the series down and killing it. I think nomura is realizing this as well. Which is one of the reasons I think more happy endings are coming our way, as there is a huge push to keep them reunited and start making SRK games. that would get the series going hardcore and would make such an epic twist in what we have seen so far.

I've read a lot of stories where I felt that a great tragedy would amplify the theme or message but KH is not one of them. In my opinion one of the greatest concepts behind Kingdom Hearts is that the strength of a characters heart is enough to make miracles happen. That's something that people want to believe in real life as well, and KH does a pretty good job of making the feeling magical - that if you try hard enough and put faith in other people everything will work out. And sometimes it doesn't always turn out perfectly but more often the results are good enough to live with without regrets.

Imagine if Kingdom Hearts threw all that in the garbage. To be honest at this point, after so many games, it would be comical.

Yeah this answer goes to many people who have replied but yeah, I can't seem KH ending in anything but a happy note. Im hoping even if there are future games they will start ending in at least mostly happy notes from now on. At least were everyone stays together. I dont mind the conflict pushing for future games, but the seperation theme is just way overkilled at this point. I think come with KH4 they will end the seperation theme and either end the series on a complete happy note ending the series or, they will they will keep everyone together and cause a conflict that pushes them forward, but either way the seperation theme I think will no longer be a thing. (it would be pretty bad if they went and continued the seperation theme AGAIN.) There is a lot of talk that MoM planned the seperations and thats why its a recurring theme which makes sense as he could "see the future" and plan such things, but since we are past the point he could see its fitting and makes sense they break that cycle come KH4. So in short. I think seperation theme is over (hopefully as it needs to be at this point.) and there will be a happy ending. I honestly can see KH4 being the last game in the series. as much as I dont want it to be, its taking them SOOOOOOO long to make the games, I cant see how they can continue the series at this rate, not unless they really upped their game and started pumping out the games a lot faster. If they could pump them out a lot faster (I mean like.. a year or two like most game series do.) then I can see the series ending KH4 on a happy not and then moving into a series of SRK games. and even games where you have multiple teams and story lines likewhen you got to play terra ven's and aqua's story each in ...COM? (I forget which game that was...) You could have three storylines SRK's, Ven/terra/aqua, and the King's with donald and goofy.The potential they could do is endless if they drop the seperation theme and pump the games out way faster.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I really can't see Kingdom Hearts ending on a sad note. But then again, we're in the first saga, and who knows how many games the next one will be. It's quite possible this next one isn't the last either. So, it really depends on whether the journey after this point justifies a sad note or not. I see it ending on a happy note, most likely open-ended with Sora still going on adventures with Donald and Goofy, but as far as our role in observers in his journey... That's done.

Or the guy just might put his Keyblade on the shelf, live a normal life and spend the rest of his days on Destiny Islands like what he most likely was gonna do prior to KH1. Who really knows?

The world-building of Kingdom Hearts essentially allows it to go on forever, even if our current cast is long gone. Unless the very concept of a Keyblade ceases to exist and the World was restored just like how it was back in KHX's time, there's an unlimited potential of stories to tell.

PStuder12321

I really can't see Kingdom Hearts ending on a sad note. But then again, we're in the first saga, and who knows how many games the next one will be. It's quite possible this next one isn't the last either. So, it really depends on whether the journey after this point justifies a sad note or not. I see it ending on a happy note, most likely open-ended with Sora still going on adventures with Donald and Goofy, but as far as our role in observers in his journey... That's done.

Or the guy just might put his Keyblade on the shelf, live a normal life and spend the rest of his days on Destiny Islands like what he most likely was gonna do prior to KH1. Who really knows?

The world-building of Kingdom Hearts essentially allows it to go on forever, even if our current cast is long gone. Unless the very concept of a Keyblade ceases to exist and the World was restored just like how it was back in KHX's time, there's an unlimited potential of stories to tell.

as for
but as far as our role in observers in his journey... That's done.
I'm confused by what you mean by this. It seems like you are saying Sora's adventures are done but Sora will be confirmed as being in the next one. However, I think it's pushing more towards SRK (which I tihnk wil lbe good for the series) As Sora is in Yozora and Riku went after him and assuming how much she's already pushed forward to help bring Sora back I assume there is only a matter of time before Kairi joins Sora and Riku as well, making the SRK trio. I think the next game to come out will be the first part as Sora's point of view then second part is Riku's point of view and then maybe even a third part for Kairi's point of view, then at least Sora and Riku reuniting and then attempting to return back to kairi. If kairi has a point of view then all three meet up. Either way I think that will set it up for KH4 which will be SRK going after MoM. As Donald and Goofy really have no way into Yozora and are kinda seperate from Riku and Kairi's efforts to get Sora back, I have a hard time actually seeing Donald and goofy joining up with Sora and becoming his trio which further solidifies SRK becoming the new trio for this next storyline. (again I feel that would be better for the series as it opens up a LOT more doors for the story and the characters to improve and expand.) As for the series ending on a happy note, even following up with the new storyline of MoM I still can't see it ending in anything but a positive note for SRK and the rest of the teams. While its a new villain saga the feel and the message of the game isnt really changing. You are still going to a bunch of new disney worlds in an attempt to fight sudo orginization members. (as MoM was technically the first Orginization 13 member, also don't forget, younge ansem commented multiple times about how he would return to his timeline, thus meaning, he's still a piece on the board. Along with the origional Keyblade guardians. (I forget their names.)) Either which way, I still expect many to turn, a new orginization, and plenty more conflicts to emerge in a disney based theme of worlds and many of their own design once more. This time just with SRK instead of SDG.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
idk, I just think Nomura likes bittersweet endings. There is beauty and intrigue to them. I think the final KH game will most certainly end in a way where it is open-ended. Sora finally saves his friends, everybody is okay, everybody is safe, but Sora is still forever on a journey of his own doing.

It'd be similar to KH3 except instead of Sora fading away to the abyss, he's just unable to stay with his friends because he'll feel the pull to keep going out there and helping people. The other big difference is that he'll go on that journey with Riku and Kairi and there is a caveat to their choice. For example, if they decide to go on their journey, they can never return to Destiny Islands or can't ever see their friends again. Maybe they have to choose between one worldline or another? Maybe only they can protect Kingdom Hearts for good.

So it'd be sad, for sure, but it would still be a good ending.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Still think the series will end with Sora becoming a King. A king of what is unknown but I'm certain he will wear the crown and sit on the throne at the end

PStuder12321

idk, I just think Nomura likes bittersweet endings. There is beauty and intrigue to them. I think the final KH game will most certainly end in a way where it is open-ended. Sora finally saves his friends, everybody is okay, everybody is safe, but Sora is still forever on a journey of his own doing.

It'd be similar to KH3 except instead of Sora fading away to the abyss, he's just unable to stay with his friends because he'll feel the pull to keep going out there and helping people. The other big difference is that he'll go on that journey with Riku and Kairi and there is a caveat to their choice. For example, if they decide to go on their journey, they can never return to Destiny Islands or can't ever see their friends again. Maybe they have to choose between one worldline or another? Maybe only they can protect Kingdom Hearts for good.

So it'd be sad, for sure, but it would still be a good ending.

I think you are correct in that. I think the series will end happily with the trio finally ending up together forever. However I do think you are also correct in there will be someithng sad like they cannever go back to destiny islands again.In all stories there si an apex that brings tears. I dont doubt that at all. I meant more happy ending for the trio lol.

Still think the series will end with Sora becoming a King. A king of what is unknown but I'm certain he will wear the crown and sit on the throne at the end

IDK you might be onto something, theres a lot of hinting towards the Sora King fanart in the games, specially the app.

cakito123

Awards
Before KHIII I had my doubts about KH having a happy ending, since basically all games tend to end on a sad or tragic note. But since this last entry, it was made clear how every sad ending would be reversed for a happy ending or revival of all characters who died.
So yeah, I'm pretty sure KH will have a happy ending! This makes the sotry a little more predictable because I think there is a charm to a bittersweet story and conclusion 0 but knowing that every sad story will come back later to end on a happy note makes the plot and character's fates a little more underwhelming...

Back