• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts V: Balance of Power

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Chapter 18: One Small Step For Man:
Shibuya Underground – WildCAT Café:

The popular café in Shibuya, Japan was as crowded as usual today. As if none of the people around him could sense the rising tension while the battles to come drew nearer with each passing day. The young man – who wasn’t young at all but still preferred to look like it – smiled at the sight. It was a ray of hope in these dark times that despite all the conflict and change occurring from here to the Keyblade Graveyard, life still went on as close to normal as possible. But that couldn’t go on forever. Between the exposure of the magical community, the Inhumans coming out of hiding, and the Daybreak Coalition revealing itself to the people of Earth, the World was on the brink of a new age. One way or another, the next few days would decide the planet’s fate and shape the course of its future.

He was looked up at the sound of a bell ringing at the front of the coffee shop to find a woman in black who he hadn’t expected to see within a million years. Glancing over at the counter to confirm that Sanae was busy helping another customer, he quickly waved the newcomer over. While Mr. H would respect his privacy, he didn’t want to take any chances. Even through his altered form, the fallen angel could tell who he was, and despite his promise to stay out of his way, the man was known to barge into a conversation at the most inappropriate moments, and he didn’t want Hanekoma to overhear anything other than general embarrassment.

“Agent Romanov,” he greeted suspiciously. While he bore no ill will towards his old friend he had no idea if this visit was supposed to be as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, an Avenger, or as herself. While he had not encountered her in her current incarnation, he knew enough of her past to recognize the look in her eyes as she sat down across the table.

“It’s been a while, hasn’t it, J?” she replied in fluent Japanese as she took her seat. “Don’t worry about H overhearing. I cast a silence spell around our table. Noboby can hear us except each other.”

“As much as I’ve missed talking to you,” the angelic being answered. “I have to ask. Why are you here?” Natasha groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

“A thousand years later and you’re just as cynical I am,” she whispered regretfully. “Can’t a girl bother to check and see how her ex is doing? We’re about to go to war with the entire Legion but checking on the Game isn’t exactly a priority right now, Kiryu.” Joshua sighed. She always called him by his last name whenever she was stressed. Even after a thousand years apart he still remembered that.

“Says the master assassin working for an international government organization who’d never leave me alone if the existence of the Reaper’s Game was ever made public,” he retorted teasingly. He’d missed this banter between the two of them. The two immortals had met when their paths crossed on assignment out near Israel. Natasha had been stationed at the local Unchained outpost at the time, and Joshua was travelling the world with his mentor training in preparation for his eventual role as the Composer for the Shibuya Underground. They had become fast friends from there, and they’d even dated a few times over the next few decades, before ultimately deciding that they were better as friends. Since then, they’d developed more of a brother and sister dynamic before Josh’s promotion to Composer required him to stay in Japan full-time.

“Touche,” the international spy conceded with a smirk as she sat down. “So how are you holding up? Anyone other immortal girls grab your eye lately? Or guys? I know a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents who swing both ways. ”

“No, No,” Josh replied with a chuckle. “You know me. Eternally single. Congratulations on you and the Winter Solider, by the way. I’m happy for you two.”

“Thank you,” Natasha responded. “I’d have invited you to the wedding, but I don’t think inviting the ex would have gone over well with the groom, even if it had been two thousand years since we broke up. Besides, if you’d showed up looking like you usually do, someone would have tried to press charges.” Joshua Kiryu laughed at the joke. As a being of the higher planes, he could take any form he chose, yet everyone was always surprised that he was most comfortable in the body of a teenager. And since he used that form almost exclusively, someone would have inevitably jumped to the wrong conclusions if he’d shown up at his ex girlfriend’s wedding as a sixteen year old.

“How are things over at S.H.I.E.L.D.?” he asked. “Or do even celestial beings need security clearance?” Natasha laughed, loudly and genuinely. There were only two people on Earth who could make her laugh. She’d married one, and the other was sitting right in front of her.

“Unfortunately, yes,” she answered, still giggling. “Although given the fact that the S.A.C.K.’s getting into the ring with us for the next few fights, I expect we’ll be seeing each other around a lot more.” Joshua glanced around, nervous about meeting her gaze.

“Actually…” the angel replied slowly. “I’m… going to sit this one out.”

“Like hell you are!” Black Widow snapped. “Josh, your friends are about to go into battle against Dark Elves, the Hellfire Club and the full might of the Unchained Legion… I know Sakuraba helped you get out of your funk but are you still so jaded that you’d just abandon them to die like that!?” The rebuke stung, although given his previous attitude she did have a point. He had spared Shibuya despite winning the bet all those years ago, but undoing millennia of jaded cynicism didn’t happen overnight. He’d been better about being more optimistic about the future of humanity, but there still the occasional bad days where he was tempted to slip back into old habits. This was not one of those days, however.

“That’s not it!” he retorted. “Orders came from Up Top to let things play out.” Natasha nodded her head in understanding. Her knowledge of the Higher Planes was limited, but she did understand that when Josh or another angel were ordered not to do something, they were bound by their oat of service to obey, personal feelings on the matter be damned.

“Right,” she finished as she put a supportive hand on her old friend’s soulder. “Forgot that angels weren’t allowed to interfere when free will was part of the equation. I’m sorry you can’t help. I remember how you got the last time that happened.” The last time the angel had been barred from interfering, he’d been torn up inside having to watch an innocent man die and being unable to do anything about it. The despair and helplessness he’d felt then had been the catalyst for the path that drove him to trying to destroy Shibuya in the first place. He’d gotten into a boat load of trouble with his superiors after those three weeks, but thankfully his mistakes weren’t enough to get him Fallen like Hanekoma.

But that’ll never happen again, he promised to himself as he looked up into his old friend’s eyes. I’ve come too far to slip back into the dark. But there was something in Natasha’s eyes that said she wouldn’t be fighting either. And he had a pretty good idea as to why.

“Yeah,” he replied. “If it weren’t for that I’d be right there on the front lines with all of you. But something tells me you won’t be out there either. I can feel it too. Everyone in the Higher Planes can. The Unchained are getting ready to make their play for the Gauntlet. And since you and the former Huntsgirl know more about them than anyone, you’re hanging back from the conflict with the Hellfire Club to get everyone ready for when the Legion makes its move.”

“Spot on as usual,” she answered with a solemn look on her face. “We’re keeping a portion of S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.A.C.K.’s forces in reserve so we can start making preparations. Bucky’s just disappointed I won’t be flying out with him tomorrow night.” A buzz in her pocket alerted her to an incoming phone call, likely one of her colleagues trying to get in touch with her regarding the imminent attack on the Hellfire Club’s last stronghold. “Sorry, J. Wish we could hang out and chat some more, but I gotta take this and get back to planning. I’ll have to invite you to Avengers HQ sometime, assuming that we don’t all wind up dead or erased from existence.”

“Good luck, Nat,” Josh called out as the undercover superhero stood up and slipped out of the coffee shop so quietly that nobody except Sanae Hanekoma noticed her leave. Josh sighed as the fallen angel fixed him with a curious glance. He was not going to enjoy discussing his love life with the coffee shop owner.
The Moon – Hellfire Club Compound; The Next Day:
Thanks to unrestricted access to technology from Atlantis, S.H.I.E.L.D., and the Global Justice Network, the Society of Advanced Cultural Knowledge had managed to construct a fully armed and operational Orbital Helicarrier to protect the Earth from external threats. When Earth became a full time member of the Galactic Federation, the O.H.C. was kept hidden from view behind Earth’s moon and kept cloaked almost constantly. Once the Society came out of hiding and revealed their presence to the world, the spacecraft carrier was quickly pressed into service serving as an orbital launch pad for operations in the ongoing war against the Hellfire Club and the Unchained Legion.

Now, the carrier glided through the space between Earth and its only moon. When constructing her lunar compound, Maleficent had placed it on the near side of the moon, so that the sun’s radiation would discourage transport up to the moon except during the times when the Earth was between the moon and the sun. Because of this, the attack on the Hellfire Club stronghold would have to be carefully timed. Fortunately, the days lined up and they were only three days away from a full moon. So all they had to do was fly up at night when the Moon was closes to the Earth and strike while the compound was exposed.

As the Orbital Helicarrier approached the lunar surface, spaceships of all makes, models, shapes, and sizes swarmed out of the larger craft’s hangars and dove towards the tall metallic spires of the base. While they had originally hoped to strike and take the Hellfire Club by surprise, the situation now was even better. While Maleficent and Malekith launched their respective invasions of Asgard, Demona had slipped into the command center of the dark fairy’s lair and destroyed the compound’s cloaking systems. This left Maleficent’s loyalists wide open as Malekith and his remaining allies laid siege to the iron citadel.

The element of surprise was no longer necessary. With the two factions busy fighting each other, all they had to do was hit everyone while they were distracted with their own petty power struggles and things would proceed much more smoothly. The atmosphere inside the dropships ferrying strike teams down to the surface was so thick it would take a battle axe to cut through it. As the troop carriers began their landing sequences, long triangular pods were flung down to the surface from the Helicarrier, where they implanted themselves in the lunar soil on impact before unfolding to reveal fully active DCNs. Inside one of the lead troop ships, Sora leaned over and kissed his fiancé one last time for luck as the doors opened and the strike teams charged into battle.

Explosions filled the airless sky around them as the combined forces charged into battle while Coalition Gummi Ships and Earth space fighters clashed with Dark Elf and Lorwardian spacecraft overhead. Moon rocks and lunar dust burst into the air as lasers and spell fire shot back and forth across the battlefield. Despite the distance from Earth and Asgard, Thor managed to call down a massive bolt of lightning that fried Hellfire and Dark Elf troops alike. Beside him, the Hulk launched himself into the air and began to cause as much chaos as possible. Dr. Banner’s green-skinned alter ego leaped from space ship to spaceship before rocketing back down to the ground and throwing enemy combatants around like Loki back in 2012.

Meanwhile Iron man circled the battlefield, firing lasers, missiles, and repulsor blasts at enemy forces both above and below. Captain American hurled his shield at an oncoming Dark Elf before leaping up in the moon’s lighter gravity to catch it as it drifted back towards him. Hawkeye found a high point on the iron tower and began firing arrows into the crowd of villains. Falcon weaved his way around the battlefield while Scarlet Witch flung the bad guys in every direction. Quicksilver continued to dispatch the enemy forces with super-speed punches while War Machine flew around with Iron Man. Coalition troops stayed outside to guard the entrances and keep anyone from escaping while Loki and Vanitas tore through the enemy ranks.

As all of this was happening, the second strike team finished regrouping in the entrance hall of the lunar fortress. Sora did a head count to make sure that they had everyone assigned to this part of the mission. Ant-Man, Wasp, Kim and Ron, Stitch, Black Panther, Violet, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, and the rest of their team sounded off on the comms before he turned to Riku and nodded. It was time to do this. Once everyone was ready, the second strike team charged into the base, ready to end this once and for all.

So yeah, I came up with the idea of a conversation between Joshua from TWEWY and one of the good guy Unchained at the last minute, covering topics ranging from immortality to why Josh and the other denizens of the higher realms aren’t getting involved in the conflict. And one thing led to another and I concocted the idea of Black Widow and Josh being old friends. I figured that because of the whole immortality thing, the Unchained and other immortal beings in the KH universe would have a relatively smaller dating pool to choose from.

The angels not being allowed to interfere with free will thing is a reference to the Dresden Files. Anyway, this is it. The final battle of KH 5 has begun. There will be no epilogue for this fic because I want to leave you all in suspense after the cliffhanger ending I’ve got planned. But I will be doing a sort of sneak peak trailer for KH6 to tide you over while I work on Cloak and Dagger.

Last edited:

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Alright folks, this is it. Only one more chapter left. To provide some suitable final chapters music, I recommend Shudder Before The Beautiful By Nightwish. Went back and fixed the previous chapter because I relized I put Black Widow in the infiltration team even though she told Joshua she's sitting this battle out. Also had to pull out Mockingbird for reasons having to do with what happens during Cloak and Dagger.

Chapter 19: One Giant Leap For Mankind:
The Moon – Hellfire Club Compound:

Explosions rippled across the surface of the moon as all three sides fought with intense ferocity. With the sudden reduction in enemy troops, the battle was quickly turning in the heroes favor. Iron Man and War Machine tore through Lorwardian and Dark Elf spaceships like butter with one Repulsor blast after another while the Hulk brought ships down with his bare hands. Thor swung his hammer to knock a squad of Lorwardian foot soldiers into space before frying them with a massive lightning bolt. Bucky and Hawkeye picked off Leroys one by one from their magical air capsule on the roof above the compound's entrance.

Loki was up to his usual tricks, confusing and disorienting Dark Elves and Lorwardians with illusions before knocking them into the air, where Vanitas quickly took them out with bursts of Darkness. Quicksilver had laid out a large portion of the soldiers of both factions of the Hellfire Club with running punches. A strike team of Dragons breathed fire, ice, and lightning at the enemy combatants below as Aqua fired off Shotlocks at the swarms. While Coalition soldiers held the exits, Dilan forced his way into a cluster of Dark Elves trying to make a run for it to create some chaos. Unfortunately, that proved to be his undoing.

Despite his speed and mastery over the wind, his Aeroga spells and other wind-based abilities were less effective in the airless vacuum of space, and the elves' plasma rifles began to overwhelm his defenses until a lucky shot hit him right in the heart, killing him instantly. Aeleus scattered the Dark Elves with a flurry of lunar soil as he rushed to his old friend's side. Though they hadn't been close friends even in their Organization XIII days, they had served in the Royal Guard together. And Malekith would pay for the death of his comrade. With a roar of fury, He swung his massive axe-sword and sent a wave of earth hurtling towards the next Dark Elf he saw before charging back into the fray.

Falcon made another strafing run to give the Silent Hero some cover while Scarlet hurled several boulders up into the fleeing ships overhead, flinging them with enough force to cripple a few of their engines. The Lorwardian fleet was now drifting aimlessly overhead as they crawled out of the way of an incoming orbital bombardment from the Hellicarrier. As the battle dragged on, bodies began to pile up on both sides. Neither the forces of Earth nor the Coalition troops really wanted to kill their enemies, but they were painfully aware of the fact that none of their foes would ever surrender, and only success or death would keep them from their mission.

Inside the lunar fortress, the strike team split up. Violet Ant-Man and the Wasp made their way towards the security station. The hallways were littered with the corpses of Leroy clones and vanilla humans wearing the skull and tentacles uniform of HYDRA, but even though they were alone, they shrunk down or turned invisible at the slightest sign of movement, just in case. Upon reaching the security center, they found that the entire room had been trashed. Computer monitors and wall-mounted screens sparked and fizzed as the lights flickered on and off. Blood and scorch marks stained the walls, ceiling, and floor, and there were more than a few bodies piled up against the back wall. The trio tensed when they heard someone enter the room and whirled around to find themselves facing a blue-skinned gargoyle with bright red hair.

"You're too late, humans," Demona spat. "Malekith has the Aethir, and with it he will remake reality in his image. The Infinity Gauntlet will be hours." Ant man didn't give her time to react before he shrunk down and attempted to punch her, only for her to swat him aside. Wasp activated the wings on her suit and began firing her stingers at the rogue Gargoyle. Violet put up a force field right as Demona attempted to claw at her, knocking the Gargoyle back. As Demona got angrier, her eyes began to glow bright red as she leaped into the battle anew with barred fangs and a menacing snarl.

While that trio dealt with Demona in the security station, Black Panther, Stitch, and the Stoppables were heading towards the hangar to keep Maleficent's lackeys from escaping aboard Captain Hook's pirate ship the old fashioned way. After wandering through corpse-filled hallways like those their comrades were finding, full of Leroys, HYDRA remnants, and the odd Dark Elf body, they emerged into a cavernous spacecraft hangar where the Jolly Roger hovered just above a set of metal steps leading up to the ship's deck. After taking brief surveillance sweep to confirm that the controls for the hangar doors were in another room that was overlooking the hangar, the group made their way towards them only to be stopped by two plumes of smoke that appeared in front of them.

One dissipated in with an accompanying flicker of orange fire to reveal the grey skinned form of Hades, while the other rose up to human height before whirling away to reveal Maleficent's raven Diablo. Currently, the shapeshifting bird was in a form with a human body, but with wicked sharp draconian claws, wisps of darkness and green fire rising off his half-human battle form as he prepared to face the intruders. In response to their sudden appearance, Black Panther activated the Vibranium claws on his suit and charged. Kim and Ron ducked under a fireball Hades sent in their directions while Stitch scuttled over to confront the Greek god.

Kim and Ron, having faced far weirder things than Diablo's human/dragon combat mode, went after the bird man. Because of the invincibility of Vibranium and Jumba's fireproofing, Stitch and T'Challa raced over to face Hades. Kim and Ron dodged the wild swings of Diablo's claws before Kim landed a swift kick in the shapeshifter's side. Meanwhile, Black Panther went straight for the lord of the underworld's exposed arm, startling Hades when the Vibranium managed to give him a scratch. Not enough to draw blood, but still enough to leave a mark. Stitch picked up the fireballs lobbed his way and threw them back, stunning the Olympian long enough for the prince of Wakanda to land a few punches unopposed. Hades quickly recovered, the fight went on.

Meanwhile Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, and Kairi sprinted through the twisting corridor of the citadel's command center. While Black Panther's team was covering the hangar and Vanitas' troops were holding the exits, they needed to apprehend Maleficent and her inner circle now before she could get away. It was good to finally have the gang back together, teaming up to take down the bad guys, just like old times, true, none of them missed having to deal with Xehanort's machinations, but compared to his mind screwing plots, Maleficent's straightforward plans were a breeze to deal with. Although there was no sound in the corridors they walked through, they could hear the rumble of explosions and the roar of combat coming from all directions.

Donald and Goofy brought up the rear, making sure they weren't ambushed from behind. Riku too point, checking the path ahead of them for signs of Hellfire Club troops. Sora and Kairi walked side by side in the middle of the pack. They kept their Keyblades ready as they made their way through the base. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you looked at it), they didn't have to do that much fighting. The fighting between Maleficent's loyalists and Malekith's rebels had greatly reduced the Hellfire Club's ranks, meaning that they wouldn't need to spend as much time dealing with the lackeys and could devote more energy towards bringing down the Club's leadership.

Inside the central command chamber of the fortress, the villains were faring no better against each other than they were against the defenders of Earth. Yzma had already been killed, while the surviving leaders of HYDRA such as Gideon Malick and the recently rescued Baron Von Strucker had managed to escape to Earth. Things had been bad enough when Malekith had arrived, but when he managed to sway the Lorwardians to his side, Maleficent knew that it was time to fold and retreat to fight another day. Now the upper echelons of the club were in the middle of a fighting retreat as they raced to where the Jolly Roger had been docked in the base's hangar.

It was a madhouse in here. Dark Elves fought the last of the Leroy clones and the remainder of Maleficent's goons while Nebula whirled through the crowd, cutting through the elven ranks and felling them with her sword. Captain Hook alternated between sword swings and gunshots to slow down the advancing mob of Dark Elves. Though the Dark Elves were formidable, between the Avengers' high tech weapons and Nebula using their Black Hole grenades against them, the Dark Elf army had been reduced to a fifth of its original strength. And that was ignoring the women and children hiding in safety aboard the Nathalis. Hook ran his enhanced blade through an elven warrior's chest when he saw Malekith appear behind him and Advance on Maleficent's unprotected flank.

Taking aim with a fallen Dark Elf plasma rifle, Captain Hook fired straight at the Elven king's heart. His smug grin turned to horrified shock when the plasma bolt passed right through Malekith like he wasn't even there and struck Maleficent. The Mistress of All Evil stumbled back in shock as Hook threw down the weapon in horror and raced to his old friend's side, apologizing profusely as he did so. Maleficent gasped for breath as violet blood poured from the deep wound in her chest, staining her black robes as she collapsed to her knees and struggled to stay upright. Hades, who had felt her pain from down in the hangar, teleported up and lunged forward to catch her as she fell. While the hologram of Malekith flickered out of existence Hook was about to prepare a Curaga spell to heal her injuries when the real Malekith appeared behind the dark fairy and removed her head from her body.

The decapitation at the end may have been a bit over the top, but it's just to show that this time Maleficent really is dead. She won't be coming back either. That doesn't rule out the possibility of her talking to Hades in the Underworld as a ghost, but if I ever get around to the Invaders From Beyond Saga, a major plotline will be Lily training under Darth Maul to avenge her mother's death, so it's going to be permanent. Malekith will live past the end of this current saga, as I do have plans for him in regards to the Fallen Ones that the Unchained are so afraid of.

Maleficent may be down and out, but the battle isn't over just yet. There's one more chapter of action. Once that's over, I'm going to take a week off before starting on Cloak and Dagger. And yes, Dilan is now dead. I wanted to have the heroes bring in some casualties in this fight and since Dilan isn't really as involved in my overarching plans he was one of the ones to go. Diablo's battle form is based on the form he uses for combat in the Remember the Tides fanfic series. Anyone who spots the Voltron: Legendary Defender quote (which I blame Netflix for getting me hooked on) gets brownie points.

Bonus brownie points if you're a fan of Rachael Caine's alternate history novel series The Great Library and recognize my repeated use of the phrase "Iron Tower". ;)

KeybladeOrder

Awards
This is it, folks. The final chapter of Kingdom Hearts V. It’s been a blast working on this story, and I hope you’re all looking forward to the next one. The background song for this chapter is Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Nightwish.
Chapter 20: Darkness Falls:
Earth – D.E.S. Nathalis:

Malekith and his lieutenant looked out the window in triumph from the safety of their cloaked command ship as S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjets descended towards the moon’s surface to mop up the last remnants of Maleficent’s half-baked attempt at a power grab. That ignorant with did not know when to give up and admit she’d lost. And it had finally cost the Mistress of All Evil her life. Now, with her out of the way and the Unchained Legion in hiding, there was only one thing left to do.

“Our next move is clear, Algrim,” the Dark Elf king remarked. “With two Infinity Stones in our possession, we must recover the Gauntlet, and steal the other four from the Unchained Legion.”

“But my King,” Algrim protested. “Do we even know where the true Gauntlet is?”

“No need to fret, Algrim,” Malekith replied. “The Aesir may have tried to throw us off the scent with a false gauntlet in the palace vaults. But with the two stones close enough together, I can sense the hiding place of the real Infinity Gauntlet. The Dark Dragon thought he could protect it by hiding it beneath the dark miasma of his old lair, but we were born in the darkness, and know how to see through it to what lies beneath.” Algrim nodded his head in approval as he went to inform the helmsman of their next destination.

Suddenly alarms began to blare as a glowing white portal appeared in front of the command chair. Algrim and his king immediately slid into combat stances as a swarm of armored Keyblade Wielders came charging out of the glowing circle. Malekith roared in outrage as he charged forward and engaged in a duel with the blonde, knife-wielding woman leading the attack. How dare they? The dark elf king fumed as he dodged one of the golden knifes the Unchained commander threw at his head. How dare these Unchained violate our sanctuary? Behind him, more Svartalfar warriors came charging up the stairs towards the bridge, answering the summons to battle.

He swung his sword at the woman’s neck, only for her to dismiss her knifes and summon up her Keyblade to parry the strike in a flash of light. Sword and Keyblade danced across the narrow metal floor of the bridge in a deadly game of cat and mouse. When the woman’s defenses lowered, he lunged forward and took the offensive with single-minded purpose, hacking and slashing as he drove her back to the portal from whence she came. But he was so focused on keeping his opponent off balance that he failed to properly pay attention to what her underlings were doing.

As he forced her back to the portal, the blonde Unchained cartwheeled backwards, kicking him in the face. For a moment, the Dark Elf king stumbled, disoriented, and surprised that a mere human could do any significant damage to him. As the woman landed on her feet again, she whistled loudly, giving her Legionnaires the cue to fall back. As Malekith recovered from the sting of her kick, he looked up to see two Unchained sprinting towards the portal each carrying a container bearing distinct glows of red and orange.

“NO!” He roared as he charged forward to recover the two Infinity Stones. But it was too late. Lerena knocked him back with a Thundaga Shot spell as she and the two Unchained carrying the Soul and Reality Stones retreated through the portal. The elven king regained his footing, only for his eyes to widen in horror as the portal closed in a flash of light, leaving no sign that the Unchained Legion had ever been here at all. For a moment, he simply dropped to his knees and let out an earth shaking roar of unbridled fury. His lieutenant and even his own people shied away from him to avoid amplifying his wrath.

“We will see this through to the end, Algrim,” Malekith snapped as he rose to his feet, whirling around to sit in his command chair. “We have come too far to turn back now. We will obtain the Gauntlet and steal back the Aethir, or we will all die trying! Revenge will be ours! ALL AHEAD FULL!!!” As the ship lurched forward and began its course towards their next destination down in Earth’s atmosphere, Malekith stared ahead angrily. I will avenge you, Nathlis, Olenir, he vowed as tongues of fire from reentry began to streak past the bridge’s central window. He was so focused on thoughts of revenge in that moment that he failed to notice the uneasy look Algrim shot him as his second in command looked down at the scores of Dark Elf women and children huddling helplessly in the lower levels as their king drove them all down towards a single-minded quest for vengeance.
The Moon – Hellfire Club Compound:

With Maleficent’s death, the battle soon ended. Malekith’s brutal execution of their leader demoralized a large chunk of the remaining Hellfire Club forces, who were quickly taken into custody. Not everyone had been captured though. A small group, consisting of Helga, Diablo, Nebula, Hook, Cruella, and a handful of others freed from prison during the recent attack on Radiant Garden had managed to escape with Hades aboard the Jolly Roger. The ship was last seen attempting to flee the solar system with S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjets being piloted by Neku, Shiki, Beat, and Rhyme in hot pursuit before vanishing through a massive Corridor of Darkness. Sora had a feeling that they’d be back soon enough, however.

The battle had been long and exhausting for both sides, and the heroes had not won the day without casualties. Dilan, a few S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents, and some Coalition Intelligence operatives all gave their lives to ensure that the Hellfire Club would be stopped once and for all. Not to mention the suspicious fact that the Unchained Legion had failed to make an appearance at all for the entire duration of the battle. Riku would have expected them to have at least tried to steal the Infinity Stones Maleficent had acquired. But no, there hadn’t been any sign the Legion had even entered the fray at all. And to the agents of both S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Coalition Intelligence Network, that was extremely worrying.

At least Rose and Agent Romanov have the Secret Warriors standing by waiting for the Legion to show their faces, Sora thought to himself as he and Kairi walked together out the front doors of the citadel towards the Quinjet that would take them back to Earth. The oxygen tanks in their space suits kicking in as they crossed the threshold, one of Tony Stark’s most celebrated accomplishments allowing them to transition from one environment to the other without missing a step.

The Society of Advanced Cultural Knowledge and S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Inhuamn strike team had abstained from the fight against the Hellfire Club to conserve resources for the much more important battle to come. With the Hellfire Club broken, the fledgeling alliance between Earth and the Coalition needed to sweep up both Malekith’s Dark Elves and hunt down the Unchained Legion. The latter would be the harder of the two tasks, as they first needed to expose all the Unchained sleeper agents hiding in Earth’s governments and society. Then they needed to drag the organization out of the shadows and destroy them in such a way that the Legion could never reform again.

Riku had figured all of this out with Aqua, Vanitas, and Coulson. That was why he was bounding across the lunar surface to check in with his closest friends. To let them know what was going on so they could get ready for the next battle. He landed in front of the happy couple, who were no doubt discussing when to finally have their wedding, and was just about to open his mouth when a sudden burst of light knocked them all across the moon’s soil, kicking up lunar dust as they fell. Riku looked up and saw Sora shakily rising to his feet as he turned to face the new arrival.

Marluxia, now High Praetor Aurilam of the Unchained Legion, stood before the Destiny Islands trio. Flower petals and wisps of light whirled around his body as the light faded. Before anyone could say or do anything, he had his scythe in his hands, and he lunged forward as he plunged the blade into Sora’s stomach. Kairi screamed, alerting everyone else in the vicinity to what was going on. Avengers and Coalition citizens alike came racing over to help, but they would never get there in time.

“Sorry it had to be this way,” Aurilam commented with mock regret as he whirled Sora around and positioned the brunette so he was between the Graceful Assassin and his friends. As he had done before with Namine, Aurilam was using Sora as a human shield. “But the Endgame requires that X – Blade of yours,” the former Organization member went on. “So I’m going to have to ask you to be our guest for a few weeks while we sort all the details out. Come along, now.” And with that, they vanished in another flash of light. Kairi was hysterical as she scrambled over towards the patch of blood that marked where Sora had been standing, while all Riku could do was stare in mute shock as he realized that even though Aurilam had deliberately aimed to wound, there would be nothing stopping the Unchained Legion from murdering his friend once they had what they wanted.
Don’t worry, Sora’s not dead. I’ve just had this cliffhanger rolling around in my head for as long as I’ve had the idea for this saga and I’m excited to finally write it out. A shocking cliffhanger like this should keep everyone’s interest high during the wait for Kingdom Hearts 6, which I won’t be starting until after Thanksgiving. After today I’m taking a week off from writing fanfiction, and then I’m going to be spending the next month and a half working on Cloak and Dagger, which as I’ve said will explore the events that transpired on Earth while Sora was flying around the galaxy in this story.

One of the things that I find interesting about Algrim is that despite being a fairly flat character in Thor: The Dark World (the final version, anyway, there were deleted scenes that were supposed to give the Dark Elves more development), he actually ended up betraying Malekith in the comics. While I’ve mostly adhered to Marvel Cinematic Universe canon as far as character backstories and personalities go, that was one element of his backstory that I thought would make interesting story potential to be explored in fanfiction. So now I’ve planted the first seeds of distrust, a sign that Malekith’s drive to avenge his wife and child may be alienating himself from his once fervently loyal subjects. Anyway, since Kingdom Hearts 6 won’t be started until Thanksgiving, I’ll leave you all with a short sneak preview to build anticipation and tide you all over until I finish Cloak and Dagger, which will be posted exclusively on my fanfiction.net profile.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
6,000 B.C.:

• - The Unchained Legion lays siege to Atilan, capital of the Inhuman Empire. In the midst of the siege, Black Bolt contemplates the consequences of his choices.
  • - Anguis and Unchained forces storm Black Bolt's throne room, and while Foreteller Invi confronts the King and Queen, Jenova sneaks into the Terrigen vault.
  • - With her true colors revealed, Jenova turns on the Keyblade Wielders and begins attempting to raze Atilan.
October 6, 2021:

• - Maleficent's inner circle meets at the Titan's Refuge to discuss their research. HYDRA scout teams on Earth were able to confirm that the Time Stone is hidden on Earth, contained within the Uchrono Hourglass.
  • - Jake meets with his friends and family at his grandfather's electronics shop to let them know that he's going off to space to look for Rose.
  • - En route to Turo, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, and Rose make a pit stop at the Mirage Arena space station in orbit over The Great Forest in order to refuel for the journey.
  • - While there, they receive reports from Coalition Intelligence agents about signs of Hellfire or Unchained activity, they decided to pitch in while they are waiting to leave.
  • - After some brief farewells, Sora, Jake, Stitch, Jumba, Nick Fury, and the original Avengers set off from Earth in search of Coalition space.
  • - As a favor to Vanitas, the group agrees to scout out coordinates downloaded during the former's raid on the Unchained Legion outpost.
  • - Kairi's group travels to the surface of The Great Forest in human form, where they find Unchained Legionnaires harvesting DNA samples from local wildlife for transformative potions, and put a stop to the operation.
October 7:

• - The first port of call for the group from Earth is Asgard, where Thor gives his friends a tour of the city.
  • - Skuld and her inner circle discuss recent developments and reflect on their plans for the future of the world.
  • - Kairi's group encounters another Unchained Lab in The Circus on their way out of Coalition space.
  • - After destroying the lab, Kairi and Rose discuss immortality and the history of the Unchained Legion.
  • - Lily overhears her parents discussing their next move in their battle against the Unchained Legion.
October 8:

• - Maleficent arrives on Lorwardia hoping to make an alliance with the local warlords in exchange for ships and weapons for her campaign against the Unchained Legion.
  • - Disgusted by their disorganization, she instigates a coup de tat and single-handedly seizes control of the planet in less than a day.
  • - Unchained Forces in the City of Heroes are attacked by Hellfire Club forces. During the battle, Kairi, Rose, Riku, and a battalion of Coalition Army troopers arrive to apprehend both factions.
  • - Lerena confronts Rose while the Unchained escape. HYDRA field commander R. Giyera is killed in action, while several of the Leroys are obliterated in the crossfire or imprisoned.
October 10:

• - Kairi's party arrives on Montressor and spends the next week recuperating from their previous battles while they search Federation news for any sign of Sora saving the day like he does best.
October 15:

• - Sora and the Avengers arrive in orbit over Lorwardia, only to find that Maleficent has already taken control of the planet's war fleet.
  • - The Guardians of the Galaxy arrive to investigate Lorwardia's recent lack of activity, and they help the heroes evacuate Jumba's critically damaged spaceship and flee the system.
October 16:

• - The Avengers and Guardians regroup from the battle at the Shooting Star Milkshake Bar, where they run into Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz.
  • - The two teams pursue Sephiroth's offspring to Maveth, and in the process Star Lord learns that the One-Winged Angel is his father.
  • - After six days of resting and resupplying on Montressor without hearing any news of Sora, Kairi makes contact with Loki.
  • - The Prince of Asgard warns her of Maleficent's impending attack on Turo and provides her with the coordinate for the Titan's Sanctuary so the heroes can launch a critical strike against the Hellfire Club.
  • - Sora tells the Advent Children that he understands their desire to bring their father, back but because of Sephiroth's deeds they must still be stopped.
October 17:

• - Armed with the restored Lorwardian Armada, Maleficent launches a full scale invasion of Turo, knowing that her efforts to seize the Power Stone will draw out the Unchained Legion.
  • - Sora's group, seeking more complete data on the Unchained Legion's activities, launch a raid on the Legion's Morag facility with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • - Kairi, Riku, Donald, Goofy, and Rose infiltrate the Titan's Sanctuary and in the process they meet Lily.
  • - With the Federation capital's defenses decimated, the Grand Council Woman puts out a call for help to anyone who can send aid in this crisis.
  • - After clearing out the Unchained base on Morag, resulting in Madame Gao's death, the Avengers and the Guardians learn of the attack on Turo and quickly rush to the galactic capital to ward off the invaders.
  • - While talking to Lily, Kairi realizes that executing Maleficent and Hades for their crimes would mean leaving Lily an orphan, and resolved to get the two villains less capital punishments.
  • - As expected, the threat to the Power Stone forces the Unchained Legion sends a fleet under the command of Praetor Stone to repel the Hellfire Club's invasion.
  • - Upon arrival in the battle of Turo, the Avengers and Guardians look to Sora for leadership since he has had the most experience dealing with the two factions.
  • - The breach of Sanctuary's defenses forces Maleficent to send half her forces back to base to protect her daughter.
  • - After crippling the Hellfire Club's computer networks, Kairi's team withdraws to lend aid to the besieged Federation Capital.
  • - Upon arrival, they board the same ship that Sora's group is attempting to hijack, resulting in the two couples being reunited in the midst of the battle.
  • - The combined Earth and Coalition teams decimate the Unchained and Hellfire Club fleet, while Praetor Stone is killed by cannonfire from the R.L.S Legacy
  • - Enraged at having been thwarted in her acquisition of the Power Stone but satisfied with the blow dealt to the Unchained Legion, Maleficent orders the Hellfire Club to fall back to their newest base.
  • - Skuld, Lerena, and Aurilam discuss their efforts to curb the High Council's in-fighting and politics as they examined the newly acquired Power Stone.
October 26:

• - A week after the battle of Turo, Sora, Kairi, Riku, Donald, Goofy, Jake, Rose, Nick Fury, and the Avengers return to Radiant Garden.
  • - Aqua remains on Turo preparing to send to send a delegation to Earth, having arrived to assist with clean up and secure a treaty with the Galactic Federation.
  • - Malekith recovered the Aethir from the Realm of Darkness and beings making plans to depose Maleficent from leadership of the Hellfire Club.
  • - Malekith lies to Maleficent about the location of the Soul Stone, attempting to convince her that it was hidden inside Jafar's staff all along.
  • - Maleficent doesn't believe Malekith, and instructs Loki to plant black hole grenades in the Dark Elf spacecraft when they are sent to attack Agrabah.
November 4:

• - Malekith prepares to being his attack on Agrabah, but the discovery of the armed grenades and the sudden arrival of the Coalition fleet forces him to back off.
  • - Enraged at Maleficent's declaration of open war against the Dark Elf race, Malekith orders his forces to retreat and contacts Demona to activate his contingency plans.
  • - Sora, Kairi, the Longs, Riku, Donald, Goofy, and the Avengers being their return journey to Earth, their journey expedited by combining Sora and Kairi's travel information to calculate Earth's location in relation to Coalition space.
November 6:

• - The Avengers and the Coalition delegation arrive on Earth to find that knowledge of the Coalition's existence has been propagated by Vanitas and the S.A.C.K.
  • - While the Coalition delegation meets with the United Nations security council, Sora, Kairi, and the Avengers meet with S.H.I.E.L.D. to prepare for an attack on the Hellfire Club's last remaining base, located on the surface of the moon.
  • - The remaining members of the Unchained Legion's High Council meet to discuss the final preparations for their revised Endgame.
November 15:

• - Loki realizes that the Soul Stone has been in the possession of Heimdall all along, and returns to Asgard to warn his family of the impending attack by the Hellfire Club.
  • - Malekith's forces attack the Realm Eternal in search of the Soul Stone, believing that the Soul Stone is being used as a power source for the Bifrost gate.
  • - While Malekith is busy attacking the palace, Maleficet deduced that Heimdall wears the stone as part of his armor, explaining his ability to see peoples' souls in the other eight realms.
  • - While the Odin holds the Dark Elves at bay in the grand hall, Thor and Loki fight off a Hellfire Club infiltration team in the dungeons under the command of Nebula.
  • - Maleficent strips the Soul Stone from Heimdall's armor and orders a full retreat to the Hellfire Club's lunar base, although not before Demona manages to obtain the facility's coordinates and hack the base's defenses.
  • - During the chaos of the battle, the Unchained Legion forces its way into Odin's vault, where they extinguish the eternal flame and force the other nine realms to being their long-delayed return to Earth.
  • - As the battle wanes, Malekith kills Odin, causing Thor to burn him with lightning in retaliation. The Dark Elves manage to drag Malekith back to safety aboard the Nathalis through a Dark Corridor before leaving Asgardian airspace.
  • - In Shibuya, Japan, Black Widow and Joshua discuss recent events and the angel's inability to intervene in the war his friends are now involved in.
November 16:

• - Maleficent holds off Malekith's invasion attempts as Coalition and Terran troops invade her lair.
  • - While most of the heroes hold the exit, Sora, Riku, and Kairi lead a strike team into the base to capture the remaining Hellfire Club members.
  • - In the chaos of the battle, Malekith kills Maleficent and takes the Soul Stone for himself before retreating aboard the Nathalis.
  • - With Maleficent's demise, Hades and Diablo assume command of the remaining Hellfire Club loyalists and leads their retreat aboard the Jolly Roger.
  • - After the battle winds down, Riku discusses the next move with Aqua, Coulson, and Vanitas.
  • - When Riku goes to tell Sora and Kairi about the plan to hunt down the Unchained Legion, Aurilam arrives and stabs Sora through the gut with his scythe.
  • - While Kairi and the others are still in shock, Aurilam returns to the Unchained command ship, taking Sora with him.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Here’s that sneak preview to tide you over. While I will be using these quotes (which came from the Infinity War announcement trailer by the way) in the actual stories, the exact wording of the scenes without dialogue will change. Everything you just saw will happen in the story, the wording just won’t be exactly the same in the final version.
“Legend tells us one thing, history another.” Rose commented as she examined the contents of her old safehouse from before her defection from the Unchained Legion. Everything, from modern conveniences to ancient relics of the Keyblade War, remained untouched. “But every now and then we find something that belongs to both.”

Thousands of years ago, panicked Inhumans ran through the streets of Atilan in the mad rush to escape the floating form of Jenova laying waste to the city overhead. Despite their disdain for Inhumanity, the Unchained Legion stood their ground and fought Jenova, knowing that their survival depended on the madwoman’s destruction.

“There are relics that predate the universe itself,” Thor explained to the Earth military commanders gathered in the room for the briefing. Holograms appeared over the table showing images of the six infinity stones and short snippets of the power that each one was capable of individually. “Ancient forces of infinite destruction.”

Malekith smiled as he looked down at the elevator emerging from the pit his mining team had dug under the volcano that had once been the Dark Dragon’s lair. At long last, they had finally found it. Asgard may have tried to hide the fact that it had been buried and lost for tens of thousands of years. But no more. The Infinity Gauntlet was finally within their grasp.

“Why would you risk your life for this?” the Huntsmaster demanded angrily as he dueled his fellow Unchained on the slopes of the Isle of Draco’s volcano. But after being dead for several decades the Praetor of the Unchained Legion was rusty. And his opponent had been keeping in shape and in practice that entire time.

“Because right now, life is giving me a chance,” Rose retorted as she swung at her former “uncle” with both Huntstaff and Keyblade.

Kadaj gasped for breath as he raced through the catacombs beneath the Dragon Council’s fortress. Tears streamed from his face, causing him to clutch the small box even tighter to his chest than he already was. First he had lost his mother. Then his father. And now finally even his brothers were gone too. No more. With Jenova’s remains, he would finally bring his father back. He wouldn’t be alone anymore.

“Whatever happens here on Earth,” Joshua remarked as he looked down at the chaos unfolding below him with a sad frown on his face. He wanted so badly to fly down and help his friends. To save the day and keep the heroes from dying. But even he knew that free will would be what ultimately decided the fate of this world. And he had his orders. “That right here, that’s the endgame.”

Hostilities momentarily stopped as all three armies stopped and turned. Nobody could do anything except stare dumbstruck as the volcano in the center of the island vanished in a brilliant column of white hot energy. Flaming chunks of molten rocks rained from the pillar of light like the after effects of fireworks. When the light faded, everyone stood still with looks of awe on their faces at the sight before them. In the heart of what used to be the Isle of Draco’s volcano stood Sora, cloaked in a full black and white darksuit and wielding the X – Blade in his right hand, and Kairi, dressed in a simple but floor length white gown and wearing the fully loaded and active Infinity Gauntlet on her left.

Kingdom Hearts VI: Infinities

Coming to Fanfiction.net and Kingdom Hearts Insider Forums Thanksgiving 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back