• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Union X end of service and release of offline mode postponed to June 17, 2021

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm inclined to blame this situation on Square's higher management. Imagine being a team of what... 2 people (or is that just the artists)? and being told "kay, wrap it up in the next few weeks, it's not earning a profit so we don't really care anymore." Lmao and the same team is also meant to be developing the entire Dark Road story in the next 5 months. They're clearly under-resourced. They probably had to kick and scream to get this extra breathing room.

In any case, it's disappointing but June 17th is fine. Mostly likely one update this month, the final one end of May and a few weeks in June to allow people time to play. Closing JP mere days after the final update was a weird plan anyway.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm inclined to blame this situation on Square's higher management. Imagine being a team of what... 2 people (or is that just the artists)? and being told "kay, wrap it up in the next few weeks, it's not earning a profit so we don't really care anymore." Lmao and the same team is also meant to be developing the entire Dark Road story in the next 5 months. They're clearly under-resourced. They probably had to kick and scream to get this extra breathing room.

In any case, it's disappointing but June 17th is fine. Mostly likely one update this month, the final one end of May and a few weeks in June to allow people time to play. Closing JP mere days after the final update was a weird plan anyway.
2 animators, but the UX team is very small to begin with.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
They are obviously rewriting the secret ending which will be Skuld getting No Name while laughing like a manic, cementing her place as the greatest KH character who ever lived. Union X, you denied me my "Skuld is the killer" storyline, but now is the time to redeem yourself. Skuld has waited patiently in the shadows for her big moment. It must be perfect! If that means pushing back the release date then so be it. It will just make Skuld's victory all the sweeter with a hint of saltiness.

darknessofheart

Awards
Not really surprising. I think they even said that the original dates could change when making the initial announcement. UX and Dark Road seem to be very difficult games to make because they have limited staff, and especially with the world still in the midst of a pandemic, so it makes sense that would need more time.

That being said, I think that Square really needs to take a step back from this style of game for a while. While the story in general I think is good, it being dragged out over the course of 8 years with revelations beings spread out across multiple mainstream titles makes for incredibly messy story-telling. Nomura usually says how each game of KH can be easily accessible to newcomers, but I really think he needs to let that go. KH3 was not a game for newcomers, it was a game for the fans of this series.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Not really surprising. I think they even said that the original dates could change when making the initial announcement. UX and Dark Road seem to be very difficult games to make because they have limited staff, and especially with the world still in the midst of a pandemic, so it makes sense that would need more time.

Their scheduling notices have always said dates are subject to change so it's not that people were surprised by there being a shift at all, but that it's to such a significant degree.

Last edited:

legacier

Awards
Wow. Square Enix delaying launches is basically a given but delaying a closure? That's a new one. I know there's reasons for it and I don't want to sound too bitter but with how ridiculous and drawn out everything about this game has been I shouldn't be as surprised as I am. I've been ready for it to be over with for a long time.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
It's so strange that they are shutting down all content bit by bit. I mean how hard is it to create a raid event or a pvp season? It's all copy and paste anyway, just bring back old events.
Or release an editor so we can make our own content.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I don't think I ever heard about a company delaying a shutdown, but anyway I hope we still get a story update this month.

Back