• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Trivia: #36

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The year is 1985. The world is full of stereotypes and cliques. The princesses pamper themselves up, the athletes kick a football, or run around on the field. The brains are solving equasions, the basket case is alone and the criminal is stealing other peoples property. Then a film is released that evaluates these cliques and shows that everyone has more depth to them then first glance. That people who are completely different can hang out. This film was "The Breakfast Club".

The coming-of-age film is famous for opening up a whole world of acceptance and understanding of other people. The film takes 5 people from different cliques (Princess, Athlete, Brain, Basket Case, and the Criminal) and puts them in a Saturday detention where they break down these stereotypes and delve into how similar everyone really is.

The film closed with one of the most well-known endings which has been the subject of many television and film parodies; the "Breakfast Club" wrote an essay to Richard Vernon(The schools vice principal) about how he had already judged them for who they appear to be, not who they are. John Bender, the "criminal", is then seen walking on the schools football field while the film's anthem, Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me", plays over the top. He then threw his fist in the air as the film fades to black. You can watch this scene below:

So why is this the subject of a Kingdom Hearts Trivia? Well, it appears that the film might have been indirectly referenced in the very first Kingdom Hearts game. In the 100 Acre Woods, Sora is on the hill with the denizens of the world. He then announces that he has to go, and jumps down from the hill and walks away. Without turning around, Sora throws his hand into the air, just like John Bender did. Winnie the Pooh then says "Sora, don't forget... we shall always be here". 

So what do you think? Do you think Tetsuya Nomura was a fan of The Breakfast Club and threw in this little reference, or do you believe this was an indirect reference, one they didn't realise they were making? Or do you believe that we are just taking a small gesture and trying to make a connection between the film and the game?

GIF source: Fieryflies via Tumblr

Previous trivia: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35

Always Watching

Keyslinger

Huh, I could see how that could be a reference but I doubt Nomura specifically chose that scene to emulate.

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards
First, OMG I can't believe trivia's back. This was such a big highlight to the site.
On topic I really wonder if Nomura was a fan? It seems possible.

Keyslinger

Love this I'm a sucker for trivia it's gonna be cool to see things about Kingdom hearts I never knew.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
-goes to snag that icon for PC- Huh. This is really interesting. I've never seen The Breakfast Club (I just never got around to it) -shot- but now I have more reason to watch it, I guess.

And I could see Nomura emulating something like TBC on purpose. The game is about friendship. And since we now know what Sora's "power" is from DDD... I could see it. It wouldn't be the first time Nomura referenced things, of course (Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones), so this could very well be true. All art in the world is intentionally or unintentionally inspired by something, after all.

Also... I thought Sora did this in KHII when leaving THW, as well. I might be wrong, though. I'll have to go and see...

And I'm so glad Trivia's back! This was always such a fun way to pass the time! And you guys choose such obscure things, too (like this), where even a hardcore fan like me doesn't always know it. So many thanks, guys:)

Gram

Banned
Awards
Haha Love that movie~ (yes I like the Breakfast Club stfu)
Not sure if it's an indirect reference but I'm gonna believe it is now~

GrampaHorse

Haha wow, pretty sure Yellowcard didn't write "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (Yellowcard didn't even form until 1997!)
That's such a random mistake, it's like thinking Blink-182 wrote "We Didn't Start the Fire" hahaha.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Haha wow, pretty sure Yellowcard didn't write "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (Yellowcard didn't even form until 1997!)
That's such a random mistake, it's like thinking Blink-182 wrote "We Didn't Start the Fire" hahaha.
Oops. I was just going off what the Wiki said.
"Pop-punk band Yellowcard performed the film's anthem, "Don't You Forget About Me.""

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Brittany Snow is in Pitch Perfect. It's relevant to our interests 8D

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Brittany Snow is in Pitch Perfect. It's relevant to our interests 8D

It all connects! Brittany Snow, who plays Namine in KH2, is in Pitch Perfect. In Pitch Perfect the main character, Beca, is told to watch The Breakfast Club by her love interest because it is a movie everybody has to watch. The ending at least. The ending of The Breakfast Club has the fist pump and "Don't You Forget About Me". Sora fist pumps in KH. TADA!

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It all connects! Brittany Snow, who plays Namine in KH2, is in Pitch Perfect. In Pitch Perfect the main character, Beca, is told to watch The Breakfast Club by her love interest because it is a movie everybody has to watch. The ending at least. The ending of The Breakfast Club has the fist pump and "Don't You Forget About Me". Sora fist pumps in KH. TADA!

I think I can hear Nomura's wry, sinister laughter in my head now.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Or do you believe that we are just taking a small gesture and trying to make a connection between the film and the game?

Yes. BIG TIME.
This is stretching it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far. I mean, wow... talk about over-thinking it. I'm very certain there is absolutely no connection. This is the stuff that you'd see when people exaggerate about people over-thinking it. This is just as bad as people saying "Yugi and Cloud have spiky hair, therefore there's an obvious link between Yu-Gi-Oh and Final Fantasy VII!"

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Ethy, you are one crazy girl.

Yes. BIG TIME.
This is stretching it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far. I mean, wow... talk about over-thinking it. I'm very certain there is absolutely no connection. This is the stuff that you'd see when people exaggerate about people over-thinking it. This is just as bad as people saying "Yugi and Cloud have spiky hair, therefore there's an obvious link between Yu-Gi-Oh and Final Fantasy VII!"
That's nice. Though I've never heard that Yu-Gi-Oh/Final Fantasy analogy.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Seeing how we're referencing movies I've never seen anyone mentioning the matrix reference in timeless river.
When sora & C:eek: first enter they see Pete run by and Donald and Goofy say "deja vu".
This scene later repeats and Pete is a black cat like in the matrix movie.
Nomura is a sci fi fan, we know he like star wars and star trek and Roxas's Twilight Town also seems inspired by the matrix so I think it's safe to assume that was a matrix reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back