• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Trivia: #36

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Seeing how we're referencing movies I've never seen anyone mentioning the matrix reference in timeless river.
When sora & C:eek: first enter they see Pete run by and Donald and Goofy say "deja vu".
This scene later repeats and Pete is a black cat like in the matrix movie.
Nomura is a sci fi fan, we know he like star wars and star trek and Roxas's Twilight Town also seems inspired by the matrix so I think it's safe to assume that was a matrix reference

Now I need to rewatch the Matrix and these cutscenes xD

Yes. BIG TIME.
This is stretching it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far. I mean, wow... talk about over-thinking it. I'm very certain there is absolutely no connection. This is the stuff that you'd see when people exaggerate about people over-thinking it. This is just as bad as people saying "Yugi and Cloud have spiky hair, therefore there's an obvious link between Yu-Gi-Oh and Final Fantasy VII!"

I don't know if it really is stretching it. The Breakfast Club is an iconic film loved around the world and is very much a classic of the 80s. Nomura was a teenager during the 80s and would have seen the movie, as were many of the animation directors like Tatsuya Kando who is a BIG fan of pop culture as you can tell by TWEWY. As Kingdom Hearts has quite a few pop culture references (though I'd say a lot was lost in translation and also added in during localization) it shouldn't be too hard to suspend disbelief.

Not saying it could be wrong, but you have to remember that they did grow up with this film unlike your weird example.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't know if it really is stretching it. The Breakfast Club is an iconic film loved around the world and is very much a classic of the 80s. Nomura was a teenager during the 80s and would have seen the movie, as were many of the animation directors like Tatsuya Kando who is a BIG fan of pop culture as you can tell by TWEWY. As Kingdom Hearts has quite a few pop culture references (though I'd say a lot was lost in translation and also added in during localization) it shouldn't be too hard to suspend disbelief.

Not saying it could be wrong, but you have to remember that they did grow up with this film unlike your weird example.

When has the kh series ever made a pop culture reference?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When has the kh series ever made a pop culture reference?

Uh, KH3D is like one rolled up ball of Inception. Inception is nearly a copy of Paprika. The voice actor choices...

Also do not forget that video games are a part of pop culture themselves, and are bound to have references everywhere and Kingdom Hearts is nothing but a pop culture reference if we want to be extremely literal with the Disney stuff. Then the fact the game is very inspired by Star Wars, Nomura loves sci-fi and has definitely used it to inspire the game. Besides those things, in Japanese Axel was says a lot of theater references in CoM considering his whole "theatrical" character., slightly more downplayed in English

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It should also be noted Nomura uses actors as inspiration for his art, like Squall who was modeled after late actor River Phoenix who was a big actor in the 80s. The 80s is a major influence of a lot of workers at Square Enix, so again...BELIEVE xD

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Yes. BIG TIME.
This is stretching it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally far. I mean, wow... talk about over-thinking it. I'm very certain there is absolutely no connection. This is the stuff that you'd see when people exaggerate about people over-thinking it. This is just as bad as people saying "Yugi and Cloud have spiky hair, therefore there's an obvious link between Yu-Gi-Oh and Final Fantasy VII!"

While I definitely agree that this is a stretch and I can't definitely see that being the reason why Sora threw his fist up, I don't think this is more a stretch than their spiky hair. Having spiky hair is quite a common trait among nearly every anime male out there haha Throwing up your fist into the air while walking away without looking back isn't as common as spiky hair. Unless in the anime's you watch that happens every episode, then I take that back haha xD

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
While I definitely agree that this is a stretch and I can't definitely see that being the reason why Sora threw his fist up, I don't think this is more a stretch than their spiky hair. Having spiky hair is quite a common trait among nearly every anime male out there haha Throwing up your fist into the air while walking away without looking back isn't as common as spiky hair. Unless in the anime's you watch that happens every episode, then I take that back haha xD

There are people who do a jumping fist pump, but the way it is done here is very reminiscent of The Breakfast Club which is known for that ending.

Zul

Awards
I've no way of telling for 100% sure whether its a reference or not. I'm inclined to believe it is because I've never seen Sora wave behind him like that in any other instance. Also you guys really went out with this trivia stuff, all the way to #36 now.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
it might not have been a conscious reference,

but then again references are made in some strange places.

I only ever got the Disney ones.

Last edited:

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
It all connects! Brittany Snow, who plays Namine in KH2, is in Pitch Perfect. In Pitch Perfect the main character, Beca, is told to watch The Breakfast Club by her love interest because it is a movie everybody has to watch. The ending at least. The ending of The Breakfast Club has the fist pump and "Don't You Forget About Me". Sora fist pumps in KH. TADA!

Yes it all makes sense now! XD
I have never actually watched The Breakfast Club, but I have heard about it. There is certainly a possibility it is a reference.
Also, glad KH Trivia has returned!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Now I really want to find out if this is a reference but I have no idea who could possibly get into contact with Nomura to even pose the question to begin with o_O

Also, I have to say I was shocked that Trivia returned so soon considering I believe we've had a pretty steady news flow as of recent (at least imo) but I'm glad it's back nonetheless!

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I know I really shouldn't be reviving dead posts, but please bring these back. They were so entertaining!

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days
Wow, I've been on this site for so long (on & off) & have never seen these. Pretty stellar stuff haha.

As for this, I think this is one of those unintentional subconscious references, there's no denying that particular fist pump in the air, although, Sora did fist pumps like these in different variations throughout the first KH game. It would be a nice, unexpected nod though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back