• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts: The Novel Cover Art Revealed!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Last year in September, it was revealed that Yen Press would finally be publishing the Kingdom Hearts novel series in North America to the delight of hundreds of fans who have always wanted to experience the novels in English. Fans can expect the first novel of the series that will cover the events of the first Kingdom Hearts game to release on March 24th 2015!

The Kingdom Hearts novel series, written by Tomoco Kanemaki (scenario writer for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days) and illustrated by Shiro Amano, was first published on June 30, 2005 and has seen a release of 18 novels based on the games & two special novels thus far. The on-going novel series serves as a unique experience for fans of the Kingdom Hearts series, providing more in-depth looks into the lives and personalities of beloved characters as well as adding new events and backstories that were previously not seen in the games.

Yen Press will publish Kingdom Hearts: The Novel under their light novel imprint, Yen On. You can check out the cover of the novel below along with links to where you can order it!

Also, don't forget to pre-order the fifth & final volume of the Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days manga from your local or online book retailer before it releases this month!

KINGDOM HEARTS: The Novel Volume 1
Page Count: 288
Price: $16 USD
Release Date: March 24th 2015

On the Destiny Islands, three children–Sora, Riku, and Kairi–are living out their peaceful, carefree lives while yearning for whatever lies beyond the great ocean. But one night, an unexpected disaster takes place, and the three are torn from each other and their island home. Meanwhile, at Disney Castle, Donald Duck and the other castle residents are in an uproar upon discovering King Mickey has suddenly gone missing. When fate brings them together, Sora, Donald, and Goofy set out on a grand Disney adventure to find their friends!

Barnes & Noble | Amazon | Book DepositoryRightStuf

Source: Yen Press

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wait, what?! I only remember them saying that they considered it if the mangas sold well.
I'm so fucking hyped right now :)

I'm not sure how you missed it but it's good you know now!

I just hope they're cheap to ship or that they get here oversea.

If you use Book Depository, shipping is free!

Sdog

Awards
Ahhhh pre-ordering the minute I get paid!

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I can't even with how cute the cover is. <3

Hakan Xatos

Awards
What's the difference between the novels and the mangas?
If I had to guess then probably a lot less pictures and a lot more words. Wow 18 novels to cover it all. I am excited!

Big question about this though ("providing more in-depth looks into the lives and personalities of beloved characters as well as adding new events and backstories that were previously not seen in the games")

So we should consider this "new stuff" canon or not? :\

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What's the difference between the novels and the mangas?

Besides the obvious difference, the manga is written by Shiro Amano and diverges from the games A LOT and aren't considered canon whereas Kanemaki's novels are meant to be companion pieces to the games and are 3rd tier canon since Nomura oversees the information put into them.

The novels (specifically the KH2 novels) were where we first learned that Axel and the other Nobodies were likely returning because of the whole "kill a Heartless + Nobody = Somebody returns"

If I had to guess then probably a lot less pictures and a lot more words. Wow 18 novels to cover it all. I am excited!

We aren't getting 18 volumes, though! They are compiling volumes by game so we will have significantly less volumes to buy xD

Big question about this though ("providing more in-depth looks into the lives and personalities of beloved characters as well as adding new events and backstories that were previously not seen in the games")

So we should consider this "new stuff" canon or not? :\

Many consider it 3rd tier canon because Nomura provides direct input to Kanemaki for the novels. There are certain things that clash because they were written before certain games were made (lol Kanemaki wrote a side story for Axel & Roxas then goes and retcons it with her own script for Days) so that kind of information can be discarded, but a lot of it is meant to be a companion to the games. In the end, it is a personal preference if you want to accept the novels as canon.

Just keep in mind the hierarchy:

1st Tier = Games
2nd Tier = Interviews
3rd Tier = Novels

Nial

Awards
I have a (probably) stupid question: on Book Depository the 5th volume of Days is listed as " Available", but since the release date is the 20th, will it be considered a preorder if I buy it now? :Oc

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have a (probably) stupid question: on Book Depository the 5th volume of Days is listed as " Available", but since the release date is the 20th, will it be considered a preorder if I buy it now? :Oc

Huh, you know I'm not really sure. I think if it doesn't say "pre-order", then the pre-order period is over. They would charge you regardless if it was a pre-order or regular purchase, though.

Do you charge for Pre-orders up front?
We offer many pre-order titles on the site and try to price these with a good up front discount. We currently charge for pre-orders in advance, often we source difficult to find titles so this process is helped along the way by knowing there is a firm order.

Nial

Awards
Huh, you know I'm not really sure. I think if it doesn't say "pre-order", then the pre-order period is over. They would charge you regardless if it was a pre-order or regular purchase, though.

Alright, well it doesn't really change that much, I was just curious :D Was waiting for the final volume to come out to get all of Days manga, bless Yen Press *-*

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Bless Yen Press (or Yen On in this case). They've really done a great job shelling out the KH products. I have all of the manga to date. That 3rd KHII omnibus was a sheer joy to read, and I can't wait for the conclusion of Days, despite reading scanlations. Overall, they've done spectacular work, and I'm ready to experience the novels!

Riku-KH

Sometimes Destiny Islands. other times Twilight to
Wow! Wasn't expecting to see a release date so soon! I'll be looking forward to reading it! Are they making novels for all the games? And is this particular one the whole first story? Or the first part of it?

I cant believe this is the 13th anniversary! That's like, a very important number in the series in case anyone has noticed. You think Square knows this? I wonder what they have in store for us!

Shogo-Kun

Awards
Wow! Wasn't expecting to see a release date so soon! I'll be looking forward to reading it! Are they making novels for all the games? And is this particular one the whole first story? Or the first part of it?

I cant believe this is the 13th anniversary! That's like, a very important number in the series in case anyone has noticed. You think Square knows this? I wonder what they have in store for us!
They have novels up to Dream Drop Distance in Japan, so Yen Press will most likely bring them over. However, they'll compiling all the individual novels into larger chunks (for instance, the Kingdom Hearts novel is combining the first and second halfs of the Japanese novels).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Alright, well it doesn't really change that much, I was just curious :D Was waiting for the final volume to come out to get all of Days manga, bless Yen Press *-*

Yes! ;~; I am so happy they have brought it all over. KH has taken over my bookshelf and it is beautiful!

Bless Yen Press (or Yen On in this case). They've really done a great job shelling out the KH products. I have all of the manga to date. That 3rd KHII omnibus was a sheer joy to read, and I can't wait for the conclusion of Days, despite reading scanlations. Overall, they've done spectacular work, and I'm ready to experience the novels!

Oh man KH2 vol. 3 was definitely wonderful to read. ;~; Shiro Amano adds so much life to everything

The novels have been around for years, but Tomoco Kanemaki has written them for every game like Shogo-Kun has explained.

Well, this is the year we'll be getting more KH3 news so that is something to be excited for! It'd be a shame if they missed out on celebrating this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back