• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts series has shipped 36 million units worldwide

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Square Enix has released their 2022 Annual Report, covering the financial year from April 1st, 2021 through March 31st, 2022. In it, the company reports that the Kingdom Hearts series has shipped and digitally sold over 36 million units. This marks an increase of 1 million units since the last reported number of 35 million, from October 2021.

Square Enix's two other tentpole franchises, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, have shipped and digitally sold over 173 million and 85 million units respectively.

Since the first game released back in 2002, the Kingdom Hearts series has captured the attention of fans worldwide with its unique collaboration between Disney and Square Enix, captivating characters and storytelling, and world-class action gameplay. It celebrated its 20th anniversary this year with the announcements of Kingdom Hearts IV, the next installment in Sora's adventure, and Kingdom Hearts Missing-Link, a brand new mobile game that will connect all of the mysteries up to now. Missing-Link is scheduled for a closed-beta test in Fall 2022.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on the Kingdom Hearts 4Kingdom Hearts Missing-LinkKingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary, the rumored Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus series, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You

Last edited by a moderator:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Getting to join the ever esteemed FF & DQ in the bragging rights has to be a good sign, right? Like that might Square gonna invest more into it?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
1 million additional units in a year isn't bad considering there haven't been any new releases.

I'm curious about the breakdown of units sold for each title. The last one we got was for KH3 back in April (6.7 million).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
1m is super good in a year with nothing big. Likely a solid combo of EGS and that trash cloud version for Switch.
Someone on Reddit recently gripped about having to wait in a queue before they could play the cloud versions because the servers were full. That would insinuate that there are actually enough people who bought & still playing the damn thing for this to happen!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
So this is what the various series have sold in their lifetimes? 36 million compared to 173 million from FF is pretty good when you consider the KH series has only had 3 games that were released first / only on a main console compared to 15 from FF (well, 13 rather, when you minus online games like XI and XIV, I guess--but then I suppose there's X-2, XIII-2, and Crystal Chronicles also).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So this is what the various series have sold in their lifetimes? 36 million compared to 173 million from FF is pretty good when you consider the KH series has only had 3 games that were released first / only on a main console compared to 15 from FF (well, 13 rather, when you minus online games like XI and XIV, I guess--but then I suppose there's X-2, XIII-2, and Crystal Chronicles also).
I can't even begin to count just how many spinoffs with the FF name there are. The ratio of total games to millions might be in KH's favor.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah, but if we were including side games, KH would have way more than three, too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
For a comparison, Persona has sold 15 million copies worldwide. That’s considered a highly successful franchise and has had a ton of spin offs and ports alongside the major entries.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Yeah, big deal. Listen, do the creators of Kingdom Hearts have any idea how much money big oil makes? If they want to compete with that, then they better make KH4 right now.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, big deal. Listen, do the creators of Kingdom Hearts have any idea how much money big oil makes? If they want to compete with that, then they better make KH4 right now.
That's where the NFTs come into play, baby.

Back