• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Retrospective

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Watermarks are no problem, since I credit everyone anyways. I'll try contacting them if my current attempt doesn't pan out, thanks!

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Watermarks are no problem, since I credit everyone anyways. I'll try contacting them if my current attempt doesn't pan out, thanks!
Had an itch at the back of my mind after I suggested CGInfernoBlast and checked just now to find that he only got up to Monstro and hasn't done anything on Re:CoM since. Sorry about that, I was certain he did the whole thing; I might have been thinking of someone else. He does however have full playthroughs of 2.5 Remix's KHIIFM and BBSFM.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
"And then he runs up a wall! And then he does a backflip to the moon!" Heheh. I'm in a library right now, so I had to fight the urge to laugh.
Deep Dive is probably one of the best examples of Rule of Cool I can find around this series. I'm pretty sure when Nomura was thinking it up, he probably was thinking, "Okay, what will look the most awesome, even it makes absolutely no sense?" Then we end up with a scene that looks like it should be in The Matrix, and the story never explains all the crazy stuff very well. But hey, so long as we don't overthink it... it's pretty great!

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
"And then he runs up a wall! And then he does a backflip to the moon!" Heheh. I'm in a library right now, so I had to fight the urge to laugh.

I'm glad someone reads the Directory jokes. They're a slice of some of the best and dumbest jokes on the blog.

I've got confirmation: the people at Temple of the Azure Flame will be providing our Re:CoM longplay footage, and they also offered their 2D footage as well, should I need to fill in any gaps! CoM will start off Tuesday, after our look at KH1 tie-ins and also... the other "Kingdom Hearts" game.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Goddamn innuendos! You can never leave them out of a Final Boss, can you Square?

Anyways, this has been a fantastic Retrospective to pore into. I know someone already mentioned this, but the fact that this and Frustrated Jacob's LP finished around the same time (finally caught up on him after all of this time) is amazing. I look forward to your thoughts on the Secret Ending(s).

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
Another side, Another story [deep dive]
We return again to RickyC’s playthrough of the original PS2 release from World of Longplays (YouTube) as our source for screenshots from the secret ending. Unfortunately this means we’ll only get shots from the first of the two endings, but it’ll more than suffice.
If you do want screenshots of Deep Dive, I do have a video on my Yuotube channel which you are more than welcome to take from. Fair warning though, it was a test to record off of my PS2, and so it starts from the middle of the cutscene with SDG out in the nowhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n7Dxpkh2IU

10 has both a title and two lines of dialogue: The secret place / “HIs voice… It’s left me.” / “This time… I’ll fight.” I believe I can deduce the speaker of these lines, from later context, but certainly not from a new player’s perspective. Nevertheless, neither line appears in KH2. That’s true of a lot of this.
I’m not quite sure I understand. At first I thought you were joking, but you bring this up again later.
Both of those two lines DO appear in KHII.
KHII said:
The World That Never Was, in the Hall of Empty Melodies (Xigbar fight).
Kairi: Sora! It’s really you!
Sora: Kairi! (Is overrun by Shadows)
Kairi: Huh... You leave Sora alone! (Jumps down to lower platform, and is overrun by Shadows.) Sora-!
(Fade to white, the Shadows vanish and Riku gives the Destiny Embrace Keyblade to Kairi.)
Riku: Take it.
Kairi: This time...I’ll fight. You know Sora’s completely hopeless without us! C’mon Riku!
The other line was changed in the localization to
Kairi said:
His voice always used to be there... but now it’s gone.
from the Selphie cutscene. The line is identical to Deep Dive in the Japanese version.
Kairi said:
でもね ずっと聞こえていた 彼の声が 消えてしまったの
Compared to the text from Deep Dive
Deep Dive said:
「ずっと聞こえていた彼の声が消えたの」
Note the only difference between the two are spaces inserted in the dialogue from KHII to emphasise a short break/breath between words.
The same is true for, at least one of, the following.
4 is a whole wall of text: End of the world / “What is this place?” / “Is this the answer you’ve been looking for?” / “This is the world in its true form.” / “Maybe our journey meant nothing at all.” If you think about it, many of these lines are just generic, but the last two are very intriguing… too bad neither is really from KH2 and only one of them (I won’t say which!) actually comes up… But that’s the trouble with concept trailers. The concepts simply aren’t reality yet.
“Is this the answer you’ve been looking for?” is quoted by Ansem the Wise directly from Deep Dive. But the line “Maybe our journey meant nothing at all” was again translated differently, into this quote from Hollow Bastion after the Thousand Heartless Battle.
Sora said:
Maybe everything we’ve done... Maybe it was all for nothing.
Again in Japanese the quote is nearly identical to the one in Deep Dive, (differences highlighted)
Sora said:
俺たちやってきたことは 無意味だったのもしれないー
Deep Dive said:
「俺たちやってきたことは無意味だったのもしれない」
but as you yourself say earlier in the read.
I don’t think I can blame the FM team if they didn’t bother fully localizing a trailer that was never going to be released in English.
I am pretty sure most of the remaining dialogue quotes in this trailer ended up in KHII in some form or capacity, but I will have to sit down and watch every KHII cutscene again in Japanese and compare them to the text of Deep Diveto make sure , which will take a lot more time than I have at this current moment.

Otherwise superb retrospective, and I certainly look forward to the following games.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Thanks dlppictures, I'll correct those right now! I may or may not borrow some screenshots from you as well, but we'll see. I'm going to be trying to put up a solid backlog of posts today. That is Today's Objective. At least scrub my way through September.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Reader Hyperion09 contacted me the other day with a link to a translated version of The Sceptre and the King, published in "an Australian Magazine." The Imgur link she gave me doesn't seem to provide close ups, only thumbnails (and I have no idea why, something must be up on imgur's side) but I was able to get a look at the comics via Imgur's download feature.

Unfortunately, the download feature requires giving Imgur an email! I've already got an account there so that was no big deal, but I know it might be for others. I'd be happy to put the download up somewhere, but if anyone who knows imgur better than me can confirm why the site's not working as-is, that would probably be better off. Thoughts?

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Unfortunately, the download feature requires giving Imgur an email! I've already got an account there so that was no big deal, but I know it might be for others. I'd be happy to put the download up somewhere, but if anyone who knows imgur better than me can confirm why the site's not working as-is, that would probably be better off. Thoughts?
I uploaded the archive here, these scans were originally uploaded by GlitchingSpark from reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back