• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts: Reborn from the Darkness (REWRITE) [Prologue part 1 is up!]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

This is a story by me about what happens after Kingdom Hearts II. It focuses on Sora, Kairi, and Aqua as the main characters.

---

DISCLAIMER AND SPOILER WARNING:

This fanfic does contain several major BBS and Days spoilers.

All Kingdom Hearts, Disney, Square-Enix, referenced characters and other related material belong to their original owners. This fan-created story is the only thing I own.

---

This is a rewrite of the original Kingdom Hearts: Reborn from the Darkness. A few things have changed in it (Specifically: The prologue was lengthened, and some dialogue is being changed to be better written, among other things. However, the story is mostly the same). Please read, then review and/or critique, if you have the desire and time to do so. I am open to any constructive criticism, whether it's a good or bad review!

Any of my posts here that aren't labeled as part of the fanfic are my participation in discussion as the story's author. At the bottom of each story post is a link to the next part if it's not directly below the post, in an effort to make the topic more organized.

--PROLOGUE, Part 1--

It was a beautiful day on Destiny Islands. The sun was setting, with the waves reflecting its light. A young man sat on a palm tree that was bent over to form a makeshift bench, looking to the horizon. The ocean wind blew through his spiky brown hair, and slightly ruffled his zippered black clothing.

Just then, another young man came across the boardwalk as the wind blew back his long, silvery hair. His jeans shifted as he walked, with his beige and yellow vest unmoved by the winds. He moved beside the bent-over tree, and looked at the other person sitting on it.

The land mass they were on was a plateau that rose out of the water. Many boards surrounded its lower circumference, almost as if to indicate it was man-made, and a ladder going down onto a reef that made up its foundation was on the side opposite from the boardwalk leading to the mini-island.

"Sora..." said the silver-haired man to his friend who sat on the tree.

"Riku!" Sora said enthusiastically, wondering what brought his friend over.

"How long has it been since we both first left these islands?" Riku said, with a nostalgic expression on his face.

"Oh man, um…" Sora took some time to think, having last checked his calendar only a week ago.

"I think it's been almost two years now." a young female voice said from behind, snickering a bit at the fact that her friend forgot today's date.

Kairi walked briskly down the boardwalk to the lone island, with the bangs and length of her strawberry-blonde hair being pushed backward by the wind as she ran, and her pink minidress somewhat tight against her body. The top was unzipped slightly to reveal a white undershirt. She went to take a seat with Sora and Riku on the bent-over palm tree.

"Tell me about it, I was asleep for literally a full year… at least, that's what I was told by Mickey when I asked how long I was in that pod back in Twilight Town…" Sora said.

"I think that year was terrible for all of us…" Kairi said with a sigh.

"Are you kidding? There were tons of bad times, but… It's kinda depressing to think about that stuff. I always like to stay positive, but… those experiences at least make us stronger, don't they?"

There was silence among the three friends. Sora and Riku were reflecting on what happened before, trying to think about the various times they had met with adversity on their journeys, with Sora wondering why Riku was always trying to compete with him over the simplest things.

Kairi was also deep in thought, mainly about how she changed Sora's and Riku's friendship, but also looked as if something was missing and she was trying to search within herself for it. Nobody had said a word the entire time. It was a somber moment for the trio...

"Yeah, you're right about that. But I'm glad it's over…" Riku said, breaking the awkward silence.

"Because we're together now and that's all that matters, right?" Sora said.

"Hey guys," Kairi began to ask. "I have a feeling that I'm forgetting something… important."

"Like what?" Sora asked, curiously. "Let's see if we can jog your memory."

"… It's not that easy. I asked Naminé about it the other day, and… well, she said that there were memories that could be reawakened, but other types of memories either were more difficult for her to do that with. But Naminé mentioned that if she has copies of memories that are easier to reawaken, she can do so for them and it'll be almost no different than if the original memories came back," Kairi began to explain.

Sora and Riku both were paying attention to Kairi's explanation of the types of memories that Naminé had difficulty bringing back.

"She told me that while she's inside me, memories within myself could be regained easily, but memories that were outside of me had to be found again. Some can't even be reawakened by her at all, namely those that have gone the farthest away. She explained that's why it took almost a year for Sora to recover when she was placing back memories that escaped from him," Kairi explained, with a somewhat worried look on her face over the fact that maybe the memories she had been looking for... may have been the type Naminé couldn't bring back.

Sora couldn't recall exactly every detail that happened back then, but he was brought up to speed on the events by Riku and Mickey. They both told him about what happened in Castle Oblivion, how he met a Nobody named Naminé that could manipulate memories, and how she had to help Sora regain his own.

"Well Kairi, I hope you can get whatever memories you're missing back… oh!" Sora jumped up as he suddenly remembered something. "Kairi, you're birthday is less than a week from now! I think that's what it was, right?"

Kairi giggled. "I don't think I would forget my own birthday to the point where not even Naminé couldn't find it again... Sora, you crack me up sometimes!" Sora and Riku both smiled, but Riku's smile was a more passive one for some reason.

Sora was brimming with excitement over the coming celebration. "Gosh, me and Riku have to go shop-"

"Have to go straight home to make plans, right?" Riku interrupted as he nudged Sora, knowing that he'd easily spoil the surprise.

Sora suddenly remembered the plan for her birthday present. "Oh, yeah… Kairi, we're gonna make this such a great birthday for you! Just like…"

Suddenly, he stopped to think. When was the last time they held a birthday celebration for Kairi? Most of the time, it was over at her house, and both Sora and Riku received invitations that Kairi made herself.

"Like all my other birthdays, right?" Kairi smiled, not wanting Sora or Riku to feel guilty about the times they missed several of those celebrations. Although thinking about it did make her feel a little sad, she figured they'd make it up to her this year anyway. After all, this would be her first birthday since they all returned to the islands, and she wanted it to be as special for them as it was for her! "Anyway, better go home and plan, I can't wait to see what the surprise is! Although…" Her smile turned to a slightly downcast expression as she suddenly realized the similarity of this meeting to a past one.

She paused for a minute, looking out into the sky. It was a red sunset, just like on that night when they met on the lone island and then the docks before the Heartless attacked, and all the mayhem began for the trio, except this time it was in the morning. Maybe it was just coincidence… or maybe it was a sign. She hoped it wasn't the latter.

"Kairi?" Riku asked, curious over Kairi's apparent mood change.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just glad we had the chance to talk!" she said, faking a cheerful mood to hide her doubts of the future.

The three of them said their temporary goodbyes, then Kairi headed back to her house while Sora and Riku departed for the former's residence.

On the way back home, Kairi noticed something washed ashore on the beach. It was a bottle, with a message stuck in it, like the one she sent Sora around the time when he mentioned waking up from his year-long sleep. She picked it up, popped open the cork, and noticed a seal with mouse-ears on the parchment.

Last edited:

Aqualung

So this is all gonna be a repeat seeing as you left those few months?

I'm going to rewrite and repost what I've written of this along with all of Chapter 3 as quickly as I can. I've been updating my profile while writing my other new fanfic series, The Three Doors.

Part of this rewrite is that I'm adding things to the prologue to give some more insight on the friendship between Sora, Riku, and Kairi that is going to be a MAJOR theme in the Three Doors trilogy that I'm writing. Once I've written that, the other parts of this should come sooner depending on how much free time I have (Which hasn't been much since I got back, but I'm managing).

I plan to complete the parts in The Three Doors involving Kairi and Riku while writing most of all three scenarios of this fanfic. Once Sora's scenario is complete (Which will happen around the same time Aqua's scenario is finished), I am going to post the final part of The Three Doors while finishing this story as well, then I will begin writing the "Final Episode" of this story, which is going to be a separate fanfic.

I would like to thank everyone who has read my fanfics so far, whether they appreciated them or not. You have all been a great encouragement to me! :) Rest assured, I do NOT plan to leave this hanging as long as I am physically able to continue (Which unfortunately wasn't the case for about 2 months). I will try to update these fanfics in a regular manner, but I can't guarantee exact days for release. I WILL, however, inform everyone reading these via PM whenever an update is posted, so you'll know when the next parts are up.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, there's not really much I have to say about this one.
I'm glad your back, after what happened to you, and also writing again, though. :)
Your one of the better writers on this site.

A

Artorius Rex

A completely superior improvement over the first version and mind you that version was very good. I am looking forward to subscribing to your fan-fiction

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I like you're rewrite of the prologue. It's done very well describing the characters and all it also brings in some plot points I'm not familiar with, like some of Kairi's Memory going missing and her birthday coming up. It also seems to be taking place before the previous prologue. I'm looking forward to see your future rewritten parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back