• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Praises

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Kingdom Hearts (the original) has to have the most consistently great video game soundtrack I've ever played. I can't think of a single track I can't hum to myself and associate with a certain part of the game. Also, Kairi's theme is god damn heartbreaking and more people should talk about it.

People wanna dump on the graphics & how it shouldn't have been on the DS but man, it was a phenomenal looking DS game. Getting that close to recreating PS2-level gameplay & environments while maintaining a smooth framerate on the equivalent of a PS1 is nothing to sneeze at.

I... I really have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe I'll talk about why I disagree on a separate thread haha, but I think you're playing the version of the game from the Berenstein universe honestly.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I love how sincere this series is. No matter how ridiculous it gets, it doesn’t make fun of itself like so many forms of media seem to think is a requirement to entertain.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
As much as we make fun of the banana shoes everyone used to have, I kind of appreciate them looking back. Sora's probably absorbed a lot of the shock from those falls he used to take in the first game before there were invisible walls plastered everywhere.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Okay, here's my praise for the day.
Donald actually does freaking heal you when you need it and people are either nuts or just lazy.
I am so bored with the HAHA HEAL ME DONALD jokes and am baffled as to why I still come across them today.
Even the few that defend him and Goofy say "Oh, you just gotta adjust them in the options menu". I don't get it, I've never even had to do that in KH1! And even in KH2, my adjustments are minor. That is to say, I always have Goofy stay close with "Huddle" while I adjust Donald to "Technic" to keep him from getting the brunt of the enemy carnage me and Goofy are taking (since Goofy can handle the onslaught, higher defense and all).
Emotional attachment aside, I've never had an issue with partner AI in either games and am always dumbfounded seeing complaints online. I assume it's not the best AI in the world or anything, but it's easily the best I've seen as far as having characters alongside you goes in gaming.

One aspect I DO understand the gripes with, however, are when party members accidentally heal you at the same time, thus wasting a potion. But I've long figured out an easy remedy for that, you see! It's a simple approach I've taken with either KH adventures, and intend to play the same way with KH3. It's quite simple, chaps! Give Donald potions, and give Goofy ethers. That way, Goofy's only replenishing MP, while Donald's only replenishing health! That way, there's no redundancies!

I know there's many players who'd rather just play the games on their own without help or assistance being thrust upon them in the form of party members and such, but that's just not me, I suppose. Though I appreciate little moments where you're on your own. Little moments like the final Riku fight in Hollow Bastion are all the more poignant that way. I only hope and pray to the heavens above that I'm not going to fight the finale alone.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Chain of Memories really knew how to play with Sora's emotions in a meaningful way. Some people called him whiny, but in my opinion it was just him being upset for once. That scene where he snaps at Jiminy for intervening was heartbreaking.

kaseykockroach

Awards
The voice acting in Re:Chain really detracts a bit for me, but in GBA form, it's easily the strongest story in the series for me. It's not blissfully simple as KH1, but it gets a more complicated narrative right in a way the series hasn't managed to do since. It's, so far, the last time I gave a darn about a story in a KH game.

ImVentus

Awards
I like the scenes with data Sora & data Riku in Coded.
Also, really haft say that Pete was best treated as a antagonist in Coded. He was not so much of a goof and very sadistic.
Naminé served a strong impact in the climax and even if it was just data, they made her feel like she was real. That climax with Naminé was just beautifully executed.

Seriously I really like Coded as cutscene film, despite how nonsensical it is. I can watch it and have a good time.

TheMostRad

I still chuckle to this day when I think about Stitch's summon in KH2.

The marketing campaign for Lilo and Stitch back in the day included trailers where Stitch would crawl his way into other Disney classics, causing his usual mischief and havoc, and so they translated that into Stitch breaking the fourth wall and crawling around your screen as he wards off attackers.

That shiz right there is golden and balances the scales that were initially imbalanced by Chicken Little (which isn't to poo on Chicken Little, it's just...why?)

kaseykockroach

Awards
I can’t decide if KH1’s Deep Jungle shipping Donald and Terk is either stupid or adorable.
I’m gonna vote “both”.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I like the scenes with data Sora & data Riku in Coded.
Also, really haft say that Pete was best treated as a antagonist in Coded. He was not so much of a goof and very sadistic.
Naminé served a strong impact in the climax and even if it was just data, they made her feel like she was real. That climax with Naminé was just beautifully executed.

Seriously I really like Coded as cutscene film, despite how nonsensical it is. I can watch it and have a good time.

I mean, I'll say that I like the Coded film up until they get to Castle Oblivion. That's when they start saying the word "hurt" 5000 times too many and the 3edgy5me Roxas nonsense was just killing me. That's a problem in the game too, the difference there being that there was at least gameplay in between those cutscenes.

Pete's great though, agreed.

I still chuckle to this day when I think about Stitch's summon in KH2.

The marketing campaign for Lilo and Stitch back in the day included trailers where Stitch would crawl his way into other Disney classics, causing his usual mischief and havoc, and so they translated that into Stitch breaking the fourth wall and crawling around your screen as he wards off attackers.

That shiz right there is golden and balances the scales that were initially imbalanced by Chicken Little (which isn't to poo on Chicken Little, it's just...why?)

Huh, never thought about Stitch that way until now. That is really cool now that ya mention it.

Also, if you want a real answer for Chicken Little: the movie was coming out around the same time, and KHII essentially served as extra advertisement for it. I know, it's really weird and doesn't match up, but it's a relic of an ad campaign.

I can’t decide if KH1’s Deep Jungle shipping Donald and Terk is either stupid or adorable.
I’m gonna vote “both”.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat sounds like a fetish (is this actually a thing?)

kaseykockroach

Awards
I love coming back here about seven hours (according to the in-game clock) after completing these levels and finding new interactions like this. I’d like to think she’s indeed been sitting here this whole time, still waiting.
46830968_2295789790431741_4613781829323849728_n.jpg

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Meanwhile, single dad Goofy looks on and thinks, "So this is how it feels to die of thirst while watching another drown, a'hyuck...​"

A bit of a non-sequitur, but everyone should check out JelloApocalypse's video, "So this is basically Kingdom Hearts", since it's god damn hilarious. Foygoox is my new favorite fan theory (which is surprisingly plausible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ7IxXN9hm0

TheMostRad

Gonna spare some Humanity to Kindle this here bonfire:

I love grinding for Synthesis items in KH2. 1 is okay, but all the Final Mix specialty Heartless make for a pain in the rear.

I love maxing out on Lucky Luckys, then getting 1 - 2 drops from each individual enemy by the time you hit the endgame.

sephydark

Awards
Alright, I'm going to say it: I love the gummi ship. I know it's not technically great or anything, but for some reason I really enjoy making and flying those things.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I love seeing the traces of Dwarf Woodlands, Castle of Dreams, and Enchanted Dominion at End of the World in KH1. It shows a level of forethought that is impressive, and adds a creepy vibe to the final world overall.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
As much as I hate the Berserkers, Assault Riders, and Hot Rods from KHII, I will say that they certainly added some difficulty that was much needed in some of those areas. The Hot Rods were a bit too brutal in Timeless River, though.

Back