• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Praises

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Seadrin

Awards
The Gummi Ship Theme - Hand in Hand! Soooo memorable, catchy, upbeat. And I also love the dark version once you progress to Hollow Bastion / End of The World. So fitting.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
The Gummi Ship Theme - Hand in Hand! Soooo memorable, catchy, upbeat. And I also love the dark version once you progress to Hollow Bastion / End of The World. So fitting.

Isn't Hand in Hand the Traverse Town battle theme? I think the Gummi one is called "Blast Off!"

But either way, great themes all around.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The series is occasionally pretty clever with Disney bosses that are unexpected. BBS was the peak of this:

-boss based on the spinning wheel
-Pumpkin carriage turned into a boss
-the stepmother's cat is a boss
-The face of the magic mirror on the wall is a boss
-Peter Pan as (brief) boss
-Monstro in the final mix (literally a whole world as a boss)
-Even Eraqus, a fully original character, follows the naming convention of Yen Sid.

DDD had a couple of cases of this as well, Ursula as the tutorial boss instead of just some random monster was nice to see & Julius was a heck of a deep cut. Of course this leads to the nitpick when more obvious bosses don't happen: Gaston, Maleficent in KH2, Frollo & CLU in DDD, & whatever ends up disappointing me in KH3.

Last edited:

kaseykockroach

Awards
It’s quite lovely looking too (looked great even before the HD remasters). I always loved the view from the treehouse! Odd it’s more visually interesting than Pride Lands, but eh, what can ya do.

Atlantica in KH2 is largely stupid...but it’s grown on me. It’s a charming stupidity, perhaps. But more significantly, I like that world’s ending better than the film’s ending for its genuinely sweet last bit with Ariel and Eric.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Confessedly, I never had an issue with KH1 Atlantica's controls and I recall being surprised so many others did when I first delved into the fandom.
It's easily one of my favorite chapters in the game. It's faithful to the Little Mermaid universe in a spiritual and tonal sense while doing its own thing and incorporating the KH lore into the proceedings, it's got a gloriously intense boss battle with Ursula, Ariel's one of the most awesome and useful guest party members in the game, etc. And that jumpscare with the shark and the little battle with it that follows is gnarly.

sephydark

Awards
I know it can be a bit polarizing, but I absolutely love the KH2 prologue. The very first time I played it, I was sucked into wondering who Roxas was and what was happening with him, in addition to getting me hyped for Sora's return. And then the ending is so beautifully bittersweet. This prologue absolutely sold me on Roxas's character; about halfway through that first playthrough I decided he was my favorite character in KH and I've seen no reason to change my mind since.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
The controller somehow made you feel like you were really a 15 year old kid holding this super heavy key and dropping it on enemies.
14 year old kid. Mr. Nitpicker ;)

I agree with a lot of things in this thread. For me the most obvious go-to is that all of Utada Hikaru's theme songs (and their remixes!) are super great. The series wouldn't/won't be the same without her.

More generally I'd say that the series has always been really ambitious, which can work both for and against it, but when it sticks the landing it tends to really hit hard and take no prisoners. I've always enjoyed that uncompromising quality to it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
As creator of the Nitpicks thread, I'd be happy to pitch in and help get this thread up to the same amount of comments :D

I just love the simple combat of the first game. Sure, it boils down to just smack what you have to and win the battle, but that's all we really needed back then. That and the keyblade's weight NEVER felt as good as it did in Kingdom Hearts. The controller somehow made you feel like you were really a 15 year old kid holding this super heavy key and dropping it on enemies.

Clearly the best way to play KH3 will be the XB1 version with the rereleased Duke controller.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Traverse Town ranks up there with Rogueport from Paper Mario: TYD as one of my all-time favorite hub worlds, and I can't wait to experience what KH3's hub area will be like (whether it's Twilight Town or something else).

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
It's a very fun and immersive game to distract myself with when Ashton is hanging out with my wife. I love tech points.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I want to give a shoutout to Chain of Memories taking a stupid mechanic that was a bad idea and making it... surprisingly functional! It's certainly not the worst control in the series, that's for sure. That title goes to Days probably (but let's keep this thread positive :D).

That_one_Sora

Awards
I want to give a shoutout to Chain of Memories taking a stupid mechanic that was a bad idea and making it... surprisingly functional! It's certainly not the worst control in the series, that's for sure. That title goes to Days probably (but let's keep this thread positive :D).

Ah, The Panel System! that was stupid anyway. (trying to keep positive)

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Holy crap, positive thing to say about Days. Let me think...

Ah, here it goes! For everything I don't like about it, it was very ambitious, and that should be acknowledged. They introduced a lot of enemy types as well as introducing a bunch of enemy recolors that we had never seen before (over 100 I think), they did try to flesh out the organization a bit and imo do a good job making TWTNW feel like an office building where Demyx is a whiny coworker and Saix is your edgy district manager that hates your guts, and it was cool seeing each world have more mundane day-to-day activities. Well, cool isn't the right word, but... different, I guess? Yeah, different from the other games. I mean, a conversation between Aladdin and Jasmine about how they will fortify the town to protect from sandstorms is just surreal.

TheMostRad

Ah, here it goes! For everything I don't like about it, it was very ambitious, and that should be acknowledged. They introduced a lot of enemy types as well as introducing a bunch of enemy recolors that we had never seen before (over 100 I think), they did try to flesh out the organization a bit and imo do a good job making TWTNW feel like an office building where Demyx is a whiny coworker and Saix is your edgy district manager that hates your guts, and it was cool seeing each world have more mundane day-to-day activities. Well, cool isn't the right word, but... different, I guess? Yeah, different from the other games. I mean, a conversation between Aladdin and Jasmine about how they will fortify the town to protect from sandstorms is just surreal.

Oh man, I ragged on Days back in the day (I'm still haunted by edgelord memories of wailing into the empty night sky, "MARY SUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE"), but in retrospect, I forkin' loved the grid-based ability system. I found a lot of satisfaction in hashing out that ol' skill puzzle.

TheMostRad

I confess that overall, I might like BBS more than KH2.

Bold statement, but understandable! I loved Birth by Sleep - I think that was maybe one of the last games I ever pre-ordered from a Gamestop. Deep Space is maybe still one of my favorite Disney worlds of the entire series, I loved piecing the timeline together across the 3 playthroughs, the lore was phenomenal, and they got Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill as voice talent for a forkin' PSP game.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

People wanna dump on the graphics & how it shouldn't have been on the DS but man, it was a phenomenal looking DS game. Getting that close to recreating PS2-level gameplay & environments while maintaining a smooth framerate on the equivalent of a PS1 is nothing to sneeze at.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I like Xion.

Unironically, without "if", "buts", or "despites".
No reason, as well.
I just like her, both her concept and her character (not how she affects the narrative universe).
Also someone needs to represent dark-coloured hair girls.

Back