• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Honestly the only way a one year timeskip would have been acceptable for me is if Sora was still alive.

At least then everyone could have enjoyed a year of peace before the Foretellers start their plot

Absolutely agree on that one. If the time skip was just for a break between sagas, I'd be fine with it.
But they decide to make it about Sora's absence again. First time was fine because we knew getting his memories restored would take a while, and they needed Roxas to complete the process.

Here, not so much. You'd think with the help of the Wayfinder Trio, Yen Sid, Merlin and whoever else were involved to lend a hand, that it would take less than a year since Org XIII isn't around to meddle in the rescue attempt.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
And Xehanort could've just used the Magic Mirror to ask about the Kayblade War or about how to make the X-blade. And later on in the series the information could have been helpful to the.likes of Luxu in regards to Luxord's identity (and vice versa), Maleficent when searching for the Black Box. Not to mention the search for Terra, Aqua, and Ventus, and the current search for Sora!!

Riku: Maigic Mirror, where is Sora, and how do we get to him?
Magic Mirror: Yadda yadda, Sora is in the realm beyond life and death, this is how to do it
Riku: K thanks.

EDIT: And using the Magic Mirror has precedence, as Terra used it to ask where Master Xehanort was (in the Keyblade Graveyard). If it holds power to answer that, than surely it could also locate Sora.

The only possibility as to it not being available is if it was destroyed after BBS when the world fell into the Realm of Darkness. But is it an object, or an inhabitant of that world? If the latter, than surely it would have been recreated after KH1 when the world's returned. Maybe even the case with the other option too.
The spirit of the mirror didn't show up in 0.2, I think he's done.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Sora being the cornerstone of the series without showing any real growth is another nitpick of mine. Seeing KH1 Sora grow into KH2 Sora, felt awesome and genuine (partly because I was 12 y/o when KH2 released I'll admit). Then, it's like his brain melted into mush come DDD, and he never fully recovered in KH3.

Uhh as far as the uhm...the year time skip, I liked it in kh2 to see new designs. But not for kh3.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
BBS: When Ven is thinking the night sky looks familiar, Aqua tells him "except you've always lived here with us", though she knows that's not true. Why would she say that? Is blind obedience to the official narrative part of a Keyblade Master's duties?

EDIT 2: These are rhetorical questions, guys!

EDIT: I feel like she makes so many mistakes as a friend throughout the game (which is interesting given everything else she does for Terra and Ven -- but still).

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
BBS: When Ven is thinking the night sky looks familiar, Aqua tells him "except you've always lived here with us", though she knows that's not true. Why would she say that? Is blind obedience to the official narrative part of a Keyblade Master's duties?

Although it is never outright stated in dialogue the Reports in BBS partly explain it.

There it is stated that both Terra and Aqua tend to be quite a tad overprotective of Ventus and therefore tend to avoid topics that could possibly result in Ven getting another headache episode or even worse fall into a coma again.

It's shown in the flashback from four years ago (where they didn't bother to create new models showing TAV four years younger) that when Ven first came to Land of Departure he was very fragile because his heart was still damaged. For Terra and Aqua that was a defining phase so they tend to treat Ven like a raw egg and that behaviour is still somewhat there even four years later when Ven has already recuperated quite a bit.
Aqua even more so than Terra as he tends to trust Ven and deems him capable of tackling some things on his own while she sees Ven essentially as a child.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Although it is never outright stated in dialogue the Reports in BBS partly explain it.

There it is stated that both Terra and Aqua tend to be quite a tad overprotective of Ventus and therefore tend to avoid topics that could possibly result in Ven getting another headache episode or even worse fall into a coma again.

It's shown in the flashback from four years ago (where they didn't bother to create new models showing TAV four years younger) that when Ven first came to Land of Departure he was very fragile because his heart was still damaged. For Terra and Aqua that was a defining phase so they tend to treat Ven like a raw egg and that behaviour is still somewhat there even four years later when Ven has already recuperated quite a bit.
Aqua even more so than Terra as he tends to trust Ven and deems him capable of tackling some things on his own while she sees Ven essentially as a child.

True. But that particular lie felt really wrong to me. Beyond protectiveness. I don't like it. Maybe it's more a comment / shower thought than a nitpick. It goes too far. He's not trying to leave or anything, he is remembering something, without a headache, and Aqua is shutting him down.

Cumguardian69

Awards
True. But that particular lie felt really wrong to me. Beyond protectiveness. I don't like it. Maybe it's more a comment / shower thought than a nitpick. It goes too far. He's not trying to leave or anything, he is remembering something, without a headache, and Aqua is shutting him down.
Remembering things isn't always for the better (see: Xehanort/Vanitas reminding ven of the X-Blade). Aqua presumably knows quite a deal about trauma/ptsd and woulen't want that for Ven

Cumguardian69

Awards
Oof, just spotted another nitpick. The fact that we get active battle, FF-esque stat boosts (Protect/Shell/Haste/Bravery/Faith etc) in the so called side games, but we do not get them in the so called main games. Really grinds my gears! All I want is to cast Protectga during a data battle. Is that too much to ask for?

LoneFox

Awards
Yes, and that is exactly what the story is trying to tell us. You have found one of its philosophical/psychological messages, but are misinterpreting it as a flaw. For some reason it happens a lot on this forum...

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Yes, and that is exactly what the story is trying to tell us. You have found one of its philosophical/psychological messages, but are misinterpreting it as a flaw. For some reason it happens a lot on this forum...

I don't think it's a flaw... It makes me very uncomfortable and angry at the character (aka empathize with Ven, really feel the conflicts), SO it's interesting characterization and quite brutal writing (signature KH). I should have made a thread like "Can we appreciate (again) how fallible Aqua is?"

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

As it is shown later during the course of the BBS story though that "remembering" things can lead to Ven getting a headache and other trauma-related pain, both in the Badlands when facing Xehanort and on Destiny Islands when facing Vanitas.

Memories in the KH series are a much more tangible and possibly dangerous thing than in our real world with its status as elementary ingredient of a heart and magical properties it can have much more heavy consequences.

Considering Aqua had witnessed Terra unintentionally hurting Ven and also how Eraqus handled the issue for four years it is not too surprising that she acts like she does.

Remembering things isn't always for the better (see: Xehanort/Vanitas reminding ven of the X-Blade). Aqua presumably knows quite a deal about trauma/ptsd and woulen't want that for Ven
Correct, she's clearly acting out of experience and also from what has been taught to her as a Keyblade Wielder in terms of the heart.
Her still treating Ven as a totally helpless child even after four years of recuperation does stand in contrast to Terra who has more confidence in Ventus, but that is a different issue than her taking no risks on something they already know can have ill effects on Ven's psyche and mental health.

Oof, just spotted another nitpick. The fact that we get active battle, FF-esque stat boosts (Protect/Shell/Haste/Bravery/Faith etc) in the so called side games, but we do not get them in the so called main games. Really grinds my gears! All I want is to cast Protectga during a data battle. Is that too much to ask for?
Aren't the dishes of the rat cook supposed to work like this in KH 3?
Spells like Protect or Shell usually work internally also by "just" boosting your stats.

To be fair it is easy to misinterpret stuff in the storytelling of KH because many situations often aren't presented completely clear to the audience.
Not to mention that several situations can be interpreted differently depending on from which angle you look at it or which context you use in forming the interpretation.

It is sadly a thing that even the kindest people with the very best of intentions can unwittingly cause harmful consequences sometimes.

disney233

Awards
Probably too much for Disney, given how they REALLY don't want their characters involved in the original story, but it donned on me that Xehanort could've teamed up with Maleficent and Pete, and rebuild Maleficent's council, and have two factions fight against the GoL. I mean...Young Xehanort can time travel. Sure enough, he could've traveled to the different times to bring back the Disney villains that died throughout the series. (Correct me if I'm wrong here.) It didn't stop him from bringing back Ursula to stop Sora and Riku right off the bat, so why didn't he revive everyone else, along with some new additions or (pawns) like Zurg, Randall, Gothel, Hans, and Davy Jones, alongside villains that never even appeared in the series like Shere Khan, the Horned King, Yzma, Mim, Facilier, etc and FF villains like Sephiroth and Kefka. Probably my ignorance to how Time Travel works in this game.

Swing

Awards
I still miss the days, where the characters were designed with big feet. It gave the KH characters a bit of unique character design. Also, and this isn't really a nitpick, but I kinda wish that KH will scrap the entire Disney stuff from future KH games. The Disney worlds do not have a purpose anymore in the story and are just a big distraction. Plus, Disney seems to get more restricted with their films in KH, I'm mean, look how pointless the Frozen world was and how little boss fights you had against Disney villains in KH3.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Probably too much for Disney, given how they REALLY don't want their characters involved in the original story, but it donned on me that Xehanort could've teamed up with Maleficent and Pete, and rebuild Maleficent's council, and have two factions fight against the GoL. I mean...Young Xehanort can time travel. Sure enough, he could've traveled to the different times to bring back the Disney villains that died throughout the series. (Correct me if I'm wrong here.) It didn't stop him from bringing back Ursula to stop Sora and Riku right off the bat, so why didn't he revive everyone else, along with some new additions or (pawns) like Zurg, Randall, Gothel, Hans, and Davy Jones, alongside villains that never even appeared in the series like Shere Khan, the Horned King, Yzma, Mim, Facilier, etc and FF villains like Sephiroth and Kefka. Probably my ignorance to how Time Travel works in this game.
I'm positive Maleficent would have tried to backstab Xehanort if they formed an alliance. She might have even refused to let him nort her. The old man might have been aware of the possibility of treachery which might explain why he didnt reach out towards her

disney233

Awards
I'm positive Maleficent would have tried to backstab Xehanort if they formed an alliance. She might have even refused to let him nort her. The old man might have been aware of the possibility of treachery which might explain why he didnt reach out towards her
OK THAT ONE? THAT. I AIN'T GONNA LET THAT SLIDE. A REMINDER THAT MARLUXIA AND LARXENE ARE IN HIS RANKS. THE ONES WHO LEGIT THOUGHT ABOUT BACKSTABBING THE ORGANIZATION A G A I N!

With that out of the way, I'm not sure about Maleficent trying to backstab Xehanort, given, by now, she'd know what he's capable of. She already knew what the Organization was capable of, and hell, they almost underhanded her, so odds are she wouldn't want to have a repeat of that.

I feel the two of them could find middle ground. Given the Organization is also looking for something Maleficent wants. On top of that, they also have the same enemies: Specifically MDG, SRK, and TAV. She'd still be prideful af, and have thoughts about taking over the Organization under Xehanort's nose, but again, she's powerless over them.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
OK THAT ONE? THAT. I AIN'T GONNA LET THAT SLIDE. A REMINDER THAT MARLUXIA AND LARXENE ARE IN HIS RANKS. THE ONES WHO LEGIT THOUGHT ABOUT BACKSTABBING THE ORGANIZATION A G A I N!

With that out of the way, I'm not sure about Maleficent trying to backstab Xehanort, given, by now, she'd know what he's capable of. She already knew what the Organization was capable of, and hell, they almost underhanded her, so odds are she wouldn't want to have a repeat of that.

I feel the two of them could find middle ground. Given the Organization is also looking for something Maleficent wants. On top of that, they also have the same enemies: Specifically MDG, SRK, and TAV. She'd still be prideful af, and have thoughts about taking over the Organization under Xehanort's nose, but again, she's powerless over them.
Neither Marluxia nor Larxene went through with trying to betray Xehanort though. Maleficent could have attempted it for her prideful nature as you pointed out. Even if she stood no chance against Xehanort I doubt that would stop her from trying

Though I guess we could see if she ever forms an alliance with the Foretellers. Especially since she knows they have the Box she wants

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
On the note of bringing Sora back, here's my nitpick on the Limit Cut episode: Another Year-Long time skip.

If it was just a few weeks or a couple months after Terra, Aqua and Ven left for the RoD, I wouldn't have minded. But Yen Sid decided to wait a year before calling in the Fairy Godmother to ask Riku about his dreams. I get it, searches take a while, but still! You'd think he would've tried to get him back sooner instead of waiting that long.

And personally, I really don't want this to be a trend for the franchise. The first year-long time skip was enough for me.
Amazing how much of the story is improved by just changing how much Limit Cut takes place after KH3. A couple weeks or months is perfectly believable, but being a whole year only makes everyone look incompetent.

I still miss the days, where the characters were designed with big feet.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It gave the KH characters a bit of unique character design.
I do agree, though. XD

Also, and this isn't really a nitpick, but I kinda wish that KH will scrap the entire Disney stuff from future KH games. The Disney worlds do not have a purpose anymore in the story and are just a big distraction. Plus, Disney seems to get more restricted with their films in KH, I'm mean, look how pointless the Frozen world was and how little boss fights you had against Disney villains in KH3.
Disney has become a weird, glittery tumor on the series. I want it to stay, but if it refuses to change, then its presence in KH needs to be greatly reduced.

I recall Disney this year announcing they'll be giving video game companies more creative freedom of their properties, but it's unknown how much more and whether this affects Kingdom Hearts. Though I like to think them being so involved in KH3 while having not even the slightest clue about anything is what really made that decision. lol

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Amazing how much of the story is improved by just changing how much Limit Cut takes place after KH3. A couple weeks or months is perfectly believable, but being a whole year only makes everyone look incompetent.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I do agree, though. XD

Disney has become a weird, glittery tumor on the series. I want it to stay, but if it refuses to change, then its presence in KH needs to be greatly reduced.

I recall Disney this year announcing they'll be giving video game companies more creative freedom of their properties, but it's unknown how much more and whether this affects Kingdom Hearts. Though I like to think them being so involved in KH3 while having not even the slightest clue about anything is what really made that decision. lol
What other games do Disney have besides like Marvel and Star Wars? I hope this freedom includes KH otherwise what's the point? Surely they know about the Frozen complaints from KH reviews. I wonder how new players felt about the Frozen world actually.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
What other games do Disney have besides like Marvel and Star Wars? I hope this freedom includes KH otherwise what's the point? Surely they know about the Frozen complaints from KH reviews. I wonder how new players felt about the Frozen world actually.
Well there're mobile titles, which probably count in Disney exec's eyes.

Back