• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I still don't understand why it was Mickey who fought alongside Sora/Riku against the 3 Xehanort. Wouldn't it have made more sense just to have Kairi in there to have the destiny trio fight for the first together? I get Sora being there because he is Sora and I understand Riku there because he is the main character his past with Ansem SOD but Mickey just felt random. It's not like Mickey is a personal rival of Xemnas to the level of Riku/SOD where he needed to be there for his demise.

If not Kairi heck Roxas could have been better because he should hate what Xemnas did to him. Mickey should have just tagged with Riku against Xigbar/Repliku and let someone else take Mickey spot against the 3 norts.

Perkilator

Awards
You know, I feel like KH tries a teensy bit too hard to be different from even Square Enix's own titles, which only leads to the series (ESPECIALLY KH3) to miss the mark on other things it tries to do.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
> Xemnas disappears from the battle with Luxord, Larxene and Marluxia

> Mickey "I'll go after him, you go find the others"

> Xemnas, apparently free and unobstructed, kidnaps Kairi

> Sora reaches Riku and a pristine Mickey, mentions Kairi and Riku goes "Wait what happened is she okay?"

GEE I DON'T KNOW WHY DON'T YOU ASK MICKEY ABOUT IT?

Between this and KH II, Mickey has a history of letting Xemnas get away.
I really wish he had at least some instances of him being an actual competent Keyblade Master. It's so interesting that Disney never had any complaints 'bout the way he was handled.

Guernsey

Awards
Riku and Zexion not reacting to each other's presence in Radiant Garden after not seeing one another since CoM when they were enemies, and literally tried to kill each other. I mean Zexion's taunts to Riku reinforcing his greatest fears was a huge catalyst for his development of trying to better himself and his character defining pervading guilt throughout Days-KH2. Instead they waste the opportunity to address this, for them to make amends or even have an awkward apology to one another, and just use it as another boring info dump scene about replicas and Roxas. This is the equivalent of if Riku ever met Jasmine and neither of them acknowledge him kidnapping her in KH1 and acting like they've never met another or ever had history.

Also the non reaction of Riku seeing Leaxeus again after he literally slammed Riku into a ceiling and killed him in retaliation lol.

Idk why this bothers me so much compared to KH3's other sins but it exemplifies so much of what disappointed me about this game: characters not acknowledging each other's histories or influence on one another, especially if they were enemies, when the whole point of KH3 was supposed to be about seeing these characters reconnecting and make amends of their past antagonism. It just gets skipped over and shoved under the rug to rush the plot along to "now they are fine with one another"

It gets worse when they don't interact with each other at all and/or even reconcile for past mistakes. Everyone has made mistakes even Sora and they should at least reconcile with happen.

I still don't understand why it was Mickey who fought alongside Sora/Riku against the 3 Xehanort. Wouldn't it have made more sense just to have Kairi in there to have the destiny trio fight for the first together? I get Sora being there because he is Sora and I understand Riku there because he is the main character his past with Ansem SOD but Mickey just felt random. It's not like Mickey is a personal rival of Xemnas to the level of Riku/SOD where he needed to be there for his demise.

If not Kairi heck Roxas could have been better because he should hate what Xemnas did to him. Mickey should have just tagged with Riku against Xigbar/Repliku and let someone else take Mickey spot against the 3 norts.

There were a lot missed oppurtnities Terra confronting Terranort, Ventus confronting Vanitas, call backs to various games,etc.

Last edited:

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
After all these years, I think Disney should already trust Nomura and his team and not put them under such ridiculous restrictions like how it happened with Arendelle in KH3. That world has Disney fingertips all over it and I can't help but thinking how better it could be, if Disney gave them more free rein.

Somehow I find that world worse every time I replay the game.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
> Xemnas disappears from the battle with Luxord, Larxene and Marluxia

> Mickey "I'll go after him, you go find the others"

> Xemnas, apparently free and unobstructed, kidnaps Kairi

> Sora reaches Riku and a pristine Mickey, mentions Kairi and Riku goes "Wait what happened is she okay?"

GEE I DON'T KNOW WHY DON'T YOU ASK MICKEY ABOUT IT?

Between this and KH II, Mickey has a history of letting Xemnas get away.
I really wish he had at least some instances of him being an actual competent Keyblade Master. It's so interesting that Disney never had any complaints 'bout the way he was handled.
It's really something isn't it? Disney was so protective of Mickey in the first game, but now they don't seem to care at all.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney people only care about the scenes where their characters are directly involved to the point they may not have been given the whole context. If you go straight from Mickey going after Xemnas to Sora catching up with him and Riku, where Xemnas is, I can easily see them thinking nothing of it. That this is where Mickey chased Xemnas to, and Kairi's kidnapping happening at some other time and not between those two scenes.

If this is the case then I'm a little concerned, as Disney should want the whole context to truly know how their characters are being handled.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's really something isn't it? Disney was so protective of Mickey in the first game, but now they don't seem to care at all.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney people only care about the scenes where their characters are directly involved to the point they may not have been given the whole context. If you go straight from Mickey going after Xemnas to Sora catching up with him and Riku, where Xemnas is, I can easily see them thinking nothing of it. That this is where Mickey chased Xemnas to, and Kairi's kidnapping happening at some other time and not between those two scenes.

If this is the case then I'm a little concerned, as Disney should want the whole context to truly know how their characters are being handled.

Likely due to the fact that Mickey will be public domain soon. They probably gave up on caring about him, sad to say.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Likely due to the fact that Mickey will be public domain soon. They probably gave up on caring about him, sad to say.
Except isn't that just the Steamboat Willie incarnation? Meaning they still hold copyright to all later versions of Mickey and trademarks. ;A;

Still, the feeling of anything Mickey Mouse becoming public domain is incomprehensible. I just can't picture such a reality.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Except isn't that just the Steamboat Willie incarnation? Meaning they still hold copyright to all later versions of Mickey and trademarks. ;A;

Still, the feeling of anything Mickey Mouse becoming public domain is incomprehensible. I just can't picture such a reality.

With Steamboat Willie being Mickey Mouse’s first appearance, it means the character itself will go into public domain along with that short. When it comes to copyrights, the first appearance is what matters.

The trademarks will remain which means they can still use Mickey as a brand image for Disney and this it protects Mickey to a certain extent, but the character itself will be in something of a limbo due to copyright law.

Disney has been more lax about depictions of Mickey for a few years now, and I really do think it has to do with the eventual public domain thing. With a character they can’t 100% control the creative direction of in a few years, they had to learn how to let others have their own creative interpretation.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
With Steamboat Willie being Mickey Mouse’s first appearance, it means the character itself will go into public domain along with that short. When it comes to copyrights, the first appearance is what matters.

The trademarks will remain which means they can still use Mickey as a brand image for Disney and this it protects Mickey to a certain extent, but the character itself will be in something of a limbo due to copyright law.

Disney has been more lax about depictions of Mickey for a few years now, and I really do think it has to do with the eventual public domain thing. With a character they can’t 100% control the creative direction of in a few years, they had to learn how to let others have their own creative interpretation.
God, copyright is confusing.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards

Hang on, this is news to me! Why is Mickey going to become public domain soon? Is it something to do with the company, or just the general law? What exactly could prompt something like that to happen? I mean Disney was the one to craft Steamboat Willy, right?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hang on, this is news to me! Why is Mickey going to become public domain soon? Is it something to do with the company, or just the general law? What exactly could prompt something like that to happen? I mean Disney was the one to craft Steamboat Willy, right?

120 years from creation or 95 after publication is the length of a copyright in the US by law.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
120 years from creation or 95 after publication is the length of a copyright in the US by law.
Aaaww, I see. Didn't realize there was a cut off point when it came to things like that. Gonna be interesting, if a bit weird, to see what happens with Mickey once the copyright expires then. Could potentially give KH more flexibility with how they use the character.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
At least we can say mickey's stupidity and incompetence is not out of place in the context of what the heroes typically do in KH.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Aaaww, I see. Didn't realize there was a cut off point when it came to things like that. Gonna be interesting, if a bit weird, to see what happens with Mickey once the copyright expires then. Could potentially give KH more flexibility with how they use the character.

Disney can always pull the brand excuse and make sure visually he represents Disney properly, but *shrug*

At least we can say mickey's stupidity and incompetence is not out of place in the context of what the heroes typically do in KH.

Everybody was stupid in KH3 at the end lol

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Everybody was stupid in KH3 at the end lol
No joke... That whole Terranort/ Demon Tornado segment still makes me cringe so hard. 😫 I know this is beating a dead horse, but it's just so jarring how much forced stupidity and indolence is pushed into that sequence for the sake of making the plot move forward.

Aqua doesn't move (literally stares for a good six seconds doing nothing but gasp while Terranort is two feet away from her with his back turned) and flat out disappears once Terranort attacks... why? Ventus gets blitzed by the famously slow and bulky Terra, how? Why are Kairi and Lea there again? They're just a liability. Riku and Mickey, just like Aqua, absolutely refuse to move a muscle while Donald and Goofy risk their necks to save Sora (who prefers to be a meat shield rather than block with his Keyblade, again, just like Aqua for some reason) and Kairi, resulting in Donald's near death, for what exactly?

So much wrong with that whole scene, on top of plenty other moments like Aqua's "Form Up! Alright, now let me break formation so I can create a path! What's that Lea? Don't split up?! Oh shut up! You're still too green to be questioning my iMpEcCabLe judgement! You too Kairi!" At this point though, whenever I play or watch KH3 I just quietly pretend it doesn't exist. It has no business coming from these characters in the first place anyway. "Oh, but KH has always had bad writing, blah blah blah." Because character stupidity is totally what got fans so invested in these people when they got into the series right? ..*sigh*..

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Mickey seemed to have lost the grand presence he had in the first three games. I think KH3 was the first game in the series were Donald and Goofy outshined him.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh, I see. That's informative.

Whatever happened to the power-up form Guardian gets in DDD? I kinda wished Ansem used it again.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
No joke... That whole Terranort/ Demon Tornado segment still makes me cringe so hard. 😫 I know this is beating a dead horse, but it's just so jarring how much forced stupidity and indolence is pushed into that sequence for the sake of making the plot move forward.

Aqua doesn't move (literally stares for a good six seconds doing nothing but gasp while Terranort is two feet away from her with his back turned) and flat out disappears once Terranort attacks... why? Ventus gets blitzed by the famously slow and bulky Terra, how? Why are Kairi and Lea there again? They're just a liability. Riku and Mickey, just like Aqua, absolutely refuse to move a muscle while Donald and Goofy risk their necks to save Sora (who prefers to be a meat shield rather than block with his Keyblade, again, just like Aqua for some reason) and Kairi, resulting in Donald's near death, for what exactly?

So much wrong with that whole scene, on top of plenty other moments like Aqua's "Form Up! Alright, now let me break formation so I can create a path! What's that Lea? Don't split up?! Oh shut up! You're still too green to be questioning my iMpEcCabLe judgement! You too Kairi!" At this point though, whenever I play or watch KH3 I just quietly pretend it doesn't exist. It has no business coming from these characters in the first place anyway. "Oh, but KH has always had bad writing, blah blah blah." Because character stupidity is totally what got fans so invested in these people when they got into the series right? ..*sigh*..

To me, it's more par of the course because I can't think of many examples off-hand of the hero's having an actual plan to outsmart the Xehanort gang. Ven wanting Terra/Aqua to kill him so the X-blade can be forge I guess counts as a plan. Maybe Sora during KH2 hollow bastion trip where he was thinking of not killing anymore heartless to ruin Xemnas' plan and of course Aqua hiding Ven. But most of the time the heroes solved their problem by beating people up with their keys (or when Sora just decided he wanted to save Aqua and he did).

So to me, intelligence is something Nomura gives to the villains (or at least planning) and reckless enthusiasm is something he gives to the heroes. So yes logically thinking it would have made a lot of sense for the guardians of light at the mystery tower to discuss a plan to combat the 13 Xehanort. Like who fights who, should they split up, what type of fighting techniques they should use etc. But as the heroes of the story have done numerous times they decide they will just wing it and see what happens at Keyblade Graveyard.

Back