• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Perkilator

Awards
You know in KH Praises where I talked about BH6 taking notes from Sora? Well, it'd be nice if they got to be part members with these abilities. We don't even need them all at once, we can just have separate members in our party at separate times, kind of like the Keyblade Graveyard.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I thought the same thing during my first playthrough, but imagine they felt "programming AI for all five of these guys? Heavens, no! Let's just have the most popular one, Baymax. That'll do." Especially since the partners in Keyblade Graveyard are pretty laughable anyway, especially on Critical. Mickey barely gets to join the fights as he's KOed the whole time!
Though, yes, I wouldn't have minded Gogo along. Oh well.

Also, I'm disappointed (and not surprised) that I'm the only one posting in the Praises thread at the moment. :p

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
"In KH III, you can have up to 4 party members active at the same time! Like, gosh guys! 4 party members!"

> In the Big Hero 6 world, from a movie with five/six actual combatants, you only get Baymax as an ally.

"Rapunzel's hair was so difficult to program, but man it was worth it! Enjoy the Rapunzel magic hair goodness!"

> Rapunzel is the least present party member out of all of them, minus Jack. There's one single instance in which her hair are used, and one attack which is basically Goofy Launcher Mark II. After that, she permanently disappear from the party forever.

San Fransokyo especially truly felt like the DEVELOPERS were suffering from fatigue and wanted to wrap everything up. It's so short, and with so little that actually happens. I still like the city and roaming around it (for a bit at least), but man, if only the story visit was paced better.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It's a small thing but that fact that Terra referred to Xehanort as "Master" in Scala nags at me. He stopped calling him that title once he found out his true colors as a way of renouncing him. Should have stuck with "old man"

kaseykockroach

Awards
Why are Sora Donald Goofy scared of the idea of a haunted mansion or haunted forest when they deal with demonic forces on a routine basis?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
So is this thing about Ven holding his Keyblade backwards ever going to have some kind of importance or something? I swear, they say that in almost every description of his.
We get it. He holds the Keyblade backwards. That's his style. Stop Key-shaming him.

Also I wonder if we'll ever get something out of him and Sora's heart (which was apparently all-knowing as a newborn) saying they have to "open the door".

Which brings me to ponder if they're talking about the "opening the Door to Light" Sora was told he had to do during KH1, AND if that refers to the Door to Light that appears in KH II at the Dark Margin.
...is all of this telling me that Ventus was the reason why Sora and Riku were able to escape back then?

Or is this about the passage (which I guess still counts as a Door?) Sora opens to get to Aqua and Riku in KH III?
So confusing. So many doors.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Shame Teen Xehanort didn’t transform into a toy in Toy Box. That would have been so cute!

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Why are Sora Donald Goofy scared of the idea of a haunted mansion or haunted forest when they deal with demonic forces on a routine basis?
Or freaking out at their monster forms when they've been monsters before.

Shame Teen Xehanort didn’t transform into a toy in Toy Box. That would have been so cute!
It just takes the fun out of it when the antagonists don't also get new forms.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
A big chance was missed when they didn't give Luxord a pirate outfit.

Everybody kept talking about Zack and Aqua meeting again (what a fantasy that was in hindsight), but honestly I wished we could've brought Ventus with us back to Olympus to meet Hercules again and witness what a hero he turned into. That could've been nice to see.

Guernsey

Awards
How about Cloud meeting Zack again after all these years? There were so many missed opportunities in 3.

Megavoltage

Awards
How about Cloud meeting Zack again after all these years?
That would have been nice. It's criminal how the Cloud/Zack/Tifa/Sephiroth subplot never got resolution. This will irk me going into the next saga, the new story wont feel like a fresh start since we have so much old drama that wasn't dealt with. And this gives me little reason to get attached in any new subplots and teasers that get introduced since they'll most likely fade away a without a proper ending/explanation.

That reminds me... is anyone still expecting Rinoa to show up? lol

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It always makes me laugh how non-written Terra's visit in Dwarf Woodlands is.

Queen: "Get me this girl's heart cuz she pretty af"
Terra: "Sounds like a terrible thing but that IS a dope-ass talking mirror you got there, so I'm not gonna say no to it. Brb."
*...*
Terra: "Damn, girl escaped. Well, can't go after her: those woods are spoopy. Guess she's lost forever and on her own. Man, I am a good keeper of peace and balance."
*...*
Queen: "My dope-ass mirror showed me you didn't get the heart."
Terra: "Yeah, I decided not to. DECIDED. Make sure to remember it was me who didn't want to do it, not the fact that she ran away and I didn't bother to take one scene transition to her.
Also you're bad, like, a really bad and evil person. You probably also stink smh"
Queen: "Mirror obliterate him"
Mirror: "Uh, when did I show such powers?"
Queen: "Right now thanks to my green potion"
Mirror: "Guess that makes sense"
*...*
Terra: "I won, now you'll ask the mirror what I want"
Queen: "Let me get this straight, you materialize in my castle, agree to bring me the heart of an innocent girl, fail to do so while also leaving that innocent girl to fend for herself, go back on your promise, come back regardless to... insult me, idk, and use brute force to get the reward for a pact you did NOT go through? And you call me bad?"
Terra: "Yeah! Also, completely unrelated to this, I do wonder why my Master doesn't think I'm ready to be a Keyblade Master."

Aqua's visit is also kinda bland and nonsensical (I guess the Queen re-Unverseded the Mirror before leaving to die off-screen), but Terra's is so... wow.
If they at least made him say something like "No, this is wrong, I shouldn't do it" while protecting Snowhite, but he's just a prick to literally every character involved.

That would have been nice. It's criminal how the Cloud/Zack/Tifa/Sephiroth subplot never got resolution.

*extreme sarcasm infinity overdrive* Whyyyy, you don't like how it endend up with Cloud and Sephiroth, aka Cloud's Darkness, kissing everything goodbye and "went back to their own world", despite it being confirmed that Cloud's world is Radiant Garden, and how Tifa, aka Cloud's Light, literally took a right turn and disappeared and the implication was that maybe she was never there to begin with?

Hindsight being 20/20 we should've smelled smoke the moment Nomura talked about how he didn't think anyone was interested in fighting Sephiroth again.
Not because of fighting Sephiroth per se, but for the approach taken to the whole thing.

This will irk me going into the next saga, the new story wont feel like a fresh start since we have so much old drama that wasn't dealt with. And this gives me little reason to get attached in any new subplots and teasers that get introduced since they'll most likely fade away a without a proper ending/explanation.

Yeah, pretty much this. Like, I'm replaying the series, this will be the first re-run including KH III, and I'm in BbS right now.
Nowadays I'm struggling to care again even for things that were intended to be big, like Vanitas and Ven in BbS.
How am I supposed to get invested now that I know their X-Blade is essentially a scam, that it doesn't work that way at all, and that both of these characters who are supposed to be the alpha and the omega will be as tertiary as they come during the *actual* clash?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The Cloud and Sephiroth's "own world" bit might have been a mistranslation. Confused the hell out me when I first heard it. If it wasnt a mistranslation it might have been an idea worth exploring if that subplot had proper resolution

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
A small nitpick but I always felt the series should have played up the scene of Sora killing himself in KH1 to save Kairi up more. It's hard for me to explain in words but I feel more gravity should have been put into that decision by Sora. Because in the context of the story it was absolutely remarkable that Young Sora will risk his life like that to save Kairi.

My memory in KH games is not great but I know there have been passing mentions to that scene but when I think of Kingdom Hearts that is one of the first scenes that come to mind. I know the writers don't like giving Kairi things to do but having her and Sora discussed why he stabbed himself would have been interesting even if it just him saying I made a promise to protect you.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
KH3's story waiting until after Arendelle for Sora to ask about the New Seven Hearts. He's told about them around...6 hours in? And it's not until another 6-ish hours that he thinks about mentioning it.

Then there's the redundancy in discussing the new PoH with Yen Sid. Marluxia already explicitly said that these New Seven Hearts are the new PoH, inheriting the power after the former ones fulfilled their role. Yet Sora "figures it out" that's what New Seven Hearts means even though he was already told. Yen Sid provides absolutely nothing. Merely repeating what Marly said but more wizardy-like. The only thing new coming from this is confirming Kairi is still a PoH, which could have been done earlier. Just have Sora mention all this to Mickey and Riku when calling them after Corona. No point in stretching this out so Yen Sid can pretend to be useful.

Larxene: "Oh, I see, so you bumped into Marluxia. Then why am I explaining this again?"

WHY INDEED?!

That would have been nice. It's criminal how the Cloud/Zack/Tifa/Sephiroth subplot never got resolution. This will irk me going into the next saga, the new story wont feel like a fresh start since we have so much old drama that wasn't dealt with. And this gives me little reason to get attached in any new subplots and teasers that get introduced since they'll most likely fade away a without a proper ending/explanation.
Same, dude.

That reminds me... is anyone still expecting Rinoa to show up? lol
*weeps*

It always makes me laugh how non-written Terra's visit in Dwarf Woodlands is.

Queen: "Get me this girl's heart cuz she pretty af"
Terra: "Sounds like a terrible thing but that IS a dope-ass talking mirror you got there, so I'm not gonna say no to it. Brb."
*...*
Terra: "Damn, girl escaped. Well, can't go after her: those woods are spoopy. Guess she's lost forever and on her own. Man, I am a good keeper of peace and balance."
*...*
Queen: "My dope-ass mirror showed me you didn't get the heart."
Terra: "Yeah, I decided not to. DECIDED. Make sure to remember it was me who didn't want to do it, not the fact that she ran away and I didn't bother to take one scene transition to her.
Also you're bad, like, a really bad and evil person. You probably also stink smh"
Queen: "Mirror obliterate him"
Mirror: "Uh, when did I show such powers?"
Queen: "Right now thanks to my green potion"
Mirror: "Guess that makes sense"
*...*
Terra: "I won, now you'll ask the mirror what I want"
Queen: "Let me get this straight, you materialize in my castle, agree to bring me the heart of an innocent girl, fail to do so while also leaving that innocent girl to fend for herself, go back on your promise, come back regardless to... insult me, idk, and use brute force to get the reward for a pact you did NOT go through? And you call me bad?"
Terra: "Yeah! Also, completely unrelated to this, I do wonder why my Master doesn't think I'm ready to be a Keyblade Master."
I'm calling the Magic Mirror "dope-ass mirror" from now on.

Aqua's visit is also kinda bland and nonsensical (I guess the Queen re-Unverseded the Mirror before leaving to die off-screen), but Terra's is so... wow.
Aqua's visit really shows the game's poor padding of having us visit worlds three times.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The Cloud and Sephiroth's "own world" bit might have been a mistranslation. Confused the hell out me when I first heard it. If it wasnt a mistranslation it might have been an idea worth exploring if that subplot had proper resolution

I’m fairly certain what was going on was that SDG didn’t know Cloud was from Radiant Garden.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Now that we know Eraqus and Xehanort essentially played the whole KH III battle with a chess match, Eraqus' blindness towards Xehanort's machinations is even more unexcusable.
You literally played with your friend who kept wanting to play as the golden pieces who fight for Darkness and disruption of peace and the moment Light gets apparently destroyed Xehanort is all like "I won, Light is gone" with the biggest grin on his face.
None of that set off any alarm?

The only explanation I can give myself (aside from the chess match being more metaphorical and symbolism that actual facts) is that Xehanort and Eraqus didn't know exactly which match they were playing. Like, Xehanort might've known that Light would've come close to be destroyed only to be saved by the Light from the past, but didn't know when in time that was goinjg to happen.
Either that or he knew but tried to defy fate regardless. Which might fall in line with what Sora tells him about being a leader, come to think of it.

Then there's the redundancy in discussing the new PoH with Yen Sid. Marluxia already explicitly said that these New Seven Hearts are the new PoH, inheriting the power after the former ones fulfilled their role. Yet Sora "figures it out" that's what New Seven Hearts means even though he was already told. Yen Sid provides absolutely nothing. Merely repeating what Marly said but more wizardy-like. The only thing new coming from this is confirming Kairi is still a PoH, which could have been done earlier. Just have Sora mention all this to Mickey and Riku when calling them after Corona. No point in stretching this out so Yen Sid can pretend to be useful.

KH III almost makes me hate Yen Sid. He's so... annoying.
They try so hard to make him the... I dunno, the Yoda of the situation, the big sensei who controls everything, but he only re-states things said by others or already known regardless, and keeps preventing Sora from doing anything useful because "hurr durr power of waking.
This cutscene you're mentioning in particular is the one that makes me so mad. The moment it was done I was like "What the... what was the point of that?"
Seriously, nothing of value was said there. Sora, Riku, Mickey, Yen Sid all got together for no reason at all. All the more so in the first KH game with a cellphone.

The scene where he comes and stops the Heartless is pure hype, but the moment I saw him the only thing I wanted to do was telling him "Hey Yen Sid! Are you SURE you're allowed to come here? Do YOU have the power of waking necessary to help us?"

Whether I might or might have not yelled this at the screen anyway is a story for another time.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
A small nitpick but I always felt the series should have played up the scene of Sora killing himself in KH1 to save Kairi up more. It's hard for me to explain in words but I feel more gravity should have been put into that decision by Sora. Because in the context of the story it was absolutely remarkable that Young Sora will risk his life like that to save Kairi.

My memory in KH games is not great but I know there have been passing mentions to that scene but when I think of Kingdom Hearts that is one of the first scenes that come to mind. I know the writers don't like giving Kairi things to do but having her and Sora discussed why he stabbed himself would have been interesting even if it just him saying I made a promise to protect you.

I don't like self quoting myself but I did just remember how odd it was that Sora never connected the fact that he became a heartless so maybe he has a nobody when Yen Sid was giving his long speech at the Tower in KH2. Yen Sid explained how they are made and none of S/D/G brought up that Sora created a heartless so maybe he has a nobody of his own. Yes, Sora got his body back quickly so maybe he did think it applied to him but I would have still appreciated it if it was brought up! Given that Sora was very quick to remember (and Kairi too!!!) during the TWTNW scene post defeating Saix that he did become a heartless I can't just write it off as it's a hard thing to remember.

I am not expecting S/D/G to be 400 IQ detectives and find out themselves oh Kairi's heart also left Sora's body so she created a nobody to or anything that advance, but just some basic logical thinking would have been nice. I know why the writers wrote it so Sora gets surprised towards the end of the game about the mystery of Roxas but it just makes him and D/G look like idiots for not considering the possibilities sooner.

Again I am not saying by world six that Sora should have connected the dots that Roxas was his nobody because you can argue it's a better form of storytelling for Sora to be in the dark until the very end but I just wanted one of the three to say "Hey Sora you turn into a heartless didn't you?" and just have one of them respond that since Sora got his body back maybe no nobody was created. I can understand Goofy right after Mystery Towers making the argument and then they go on their merry way because in their minds it does make sense.

I just felt the writers made S/D/G look like dummies for conveniently forgetting Sora was heartless until it was necessary for their story. Given how traumatic that experience should have been I would like to think none of S/D/G or Kairi will ever forget that.

Silly rant over.

redcrown

Awards
Riku and Zexion not reacting to each other's presence in Radiant Garden after not seeing one another since CoM when they were enemies, and literally tried to kill each other. I mean Zexion's taunts to Riku reinforcing his greatest fears was a huge catalyst for his development of trying to better himself and his character defining pervading guilt throughout Days-KH2. Instead they waste the opportunity to address this, for them to make amends or even have an awkward apology to one another, and just use it as another boring info dump scene about replicas and Roxas. This is the equivalent of if Riku ever met Jasmine and neither of them acknowledge him kidnapping her in KH1 and acting like they've never met another or ever had history.

Also the non reaction of Riku seeing Leaxeus again after he literally slammed Riku into a ceiling and killed him in retaliation lol.

Idk why this bothers me so much compared to KH3's other sins but it exemplifies so much of what disappointed me about this game: characters not acknowledging each other's histories or influence on one another, especially if they were enemies, when the whole point of KH3 was supposed to be about seeing these characters reconnecting and make amends of their past antagonism. It just gets skipped over and shoved under the rug to rush the plot along to "now they are fine with one another"

Last edited:
Back