• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts: Night of Fate (OOC)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Night of Fate

Trial Run

And who knows: starting a new journey may not be so hard
You know the scene. Destiny Islands (or one of any infinite number of islands like them) stands perched on the edge of a storm. A storm, unlike any other, that will envelope the world, tear its islands asunder, and plunge hundreds of hearts into darkness. This is the end of a world.

It is also, however, the beginning of something new. Those few hearts strong enough to escape the destruction of the islands will have begun a long journey that will take them across many worlds... perhaps even to the End of all Worlds, and Kingdom Hearts. But that is a long way off yet.

So much to do, so little time
You should recognize the setting--it is based off of the Night of Fate scenario in the original Kingdom Hearts. We can consider this an AU (alternate universe) rendition, without any of the canon characters (Sora, Riku, Kairi, etc). It doesn't even necessarily have to be Destiny Islands, but it's a world in a similar predicament. The story will NOT just follow the events of the original Kingdom Hearts game, but the opening is similar enough that roleplayers can get their bearings quickly. Which is important, because...

We're not starting this like most other roleplays. There will be no sign-up, no reservations, and most importantly no templates. Roleplayers who are interested will write their characters directly into the roleplay, giving the necessary background information and details of their characters as it fits into the story. The emphasis here is on having a natural, smoothly progressing storyline.

Now, assuming enough people join in this, it should be noted that the spots on this roleplay are not unlimited. As the traumatic events of the Night of Fate get under way, there will be a selection process. Myself and possibly one or two others helping me run the roleplay will carefully read what players are posting. Those who have a compelling character and writing style for the roleplay will be asked to continue; those whose writing or characters don't quite fit into the story will not, but will have the compensation of writing their own character's death (which I think would be pretty cool!). It's certainly not meant as a judgment ("Your writing's great!" or "Your character sucks!") at all. It's a way to keep the number of roleplayers progressing in the story to a reasonable number, and hopefully add a bit of an edge to the fun.

The door is still shut
I will be posting the OP of the roleplay, and my own character's introduction, on Sept. 30 (next Monday). I'll then leave it open for a week, for others to introduce their characters and settle into the world. On Oct. 7, I'll put up a second post, which will start the action in earnest. The selection (and the rest of the roleplay) starts from there.

In the meantime, feel free to leave a message here to express your interest, ask a question, or give a suggestion! I'm relatively new to the RP section, so I'm glad to have your opinions. I'll try to provide more details as the starting date gets closer.

Edit: The Roleplay is now re-opened as of March 27, 2014. See latest posts for more info!

Last edited:

Light

faster than
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts: Night of Fate - Trial Run (OOC)

Wow. Very interesting. I think this might just be the push I needed to get back into Roleplaying. Thanks Hidden. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this forum now, and eagerly await your OP.

Chromatic

Become
Awards

The possibility of being eliminated from the RP due to my writing makes me nervous, but it can definitely open some doors for me to make things more interesting.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

Walk up in this RP like what up I got a character

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards

*peeks in* o.o

What a refreshing idea! Finally something that could interest me enough to come back *U*
Color me interested~

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

*peeks in* o.o

What a refreshing idea! Finally something that could interest me enough to come back *U*
Color me interested~

You totes should because yes

Awards

You can count on me posting with a character for sure.

saphexteni

It sounds like a very interesting idea! I will definitely look forward to joining it (and hopefully staying :p).

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com

It's great to hear people getting interested!

I should also explain that "Night of Fate", this particular scenario, is the opening for what will HOPEFULLY be a much larger roleplay. That's what the "Trial Run" in the title means. If we get enough people participating, so that we can get a really good group of characters through the selection process, that's when the roleplay will open up to the rest of the KH-universe. The islands are a staging ground for what comes after.

So! Keep your interest up for a few days more, and hopefully even more people will get involved! Expect to hear more soon.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com

Character creation

Hey all, just a quick note before the roleplay starts (Sept 30). For the same reason that we're starting the roleplay without character templates or most of the other preparation that comes before a story, I also don't want to weigh roleplayers down with a lot of rules. However, I figure it might be helpful to give a few guidelines, just to make sure we all start on the same page.

Hold on.
The door won't open just yet.

Those who make it off the islands after the Night of Fate will go on to do great, or terrible, things. However, here at the beginning of our story, they are simply residents of a small, island world. It is highly unlikely that there are legendary sorcerers, world-traveling adventurers, or veterans of ancient keyblade wars hiding among them. Most if not all of these people are ignorant even of the existence of other worlds.

This isn't meant to limit the range of characters you can create--a small, island world is still a complete world, with all the variety that implies. It is not just populated with 13-year-old kids waiting to be heroes; there are adults, and children, and people filling all types of roles, butchers and bakers and candlestick makers. In RP terms, I'd encourage you start with a basic character, someone you would expect to find on the islands, and to let them grow within the story rather than having a long, complicated backstory already behind them.

First, tell me more about yourself.
In introducing your character, you're also introducing us to their world--the shape and texture of the islands. I've left the islands in this story largely unexplored; there are plenty of blank spaces on the map for you to fill in through your character's eyes. For a truly excellent example of this, check out the prologue of Shamdeo's RP-turned-fanfiction, Anomaly, where he introduces his character, Sean.

That said, Shamdeo's example is rather... long. To keep the story running smoothly between posts, it's been suggested to limit the word count of any one post. 1,000 words should be enough to introduce your character (again, it's not a full template) and situate him/her on the islands. See what you can do with fewer words. I've gotten my character introduction down to 497.

The day you will open the door is both far off and very near.
This roleplay will get under way soon! I hope to see people participate and have fun!

Here's a short excerpt of the OP and my character's introduction, Seth.
OP said:
He was headed towards a little jut-out of rocks and sand that he liked to call, in the privacy of his mind, ‘his island.’ He was confident that he was the only one who ever went there. It was a hard, thirty-minute swim just to reach it, and none of the other children on the island could swim as well as Seth; multiple swimming competitions had proven the point. His still-growing body hadn’t had time to develop extra muscle yet, but he had that lean, no-extra-baggage kind of figure that young boys could get through long periods of time spent out-of-doors. And so when he got there, it was just Seth, the rocks and sand, the sea and sky.
See you soon!

Last edited:
Awards

great, I'll try to get a post up later today.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com

protip: the island's name is now Kismet, courtesy of Orion and his character, Leroy. Definitely read each others' posts, and mix them into your own character's perspective. It's a good way to knit the world together.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Since we're not using templates, I suggest - if you feel like it - to keep basic notes on other people's characters, going by both what is explicitly said or done by a character, and what is implied. It'll help you the roleplayer in forming an in-roleplay idea of the character (as opposed to referring to their template), and will thus make your writing about them and character interactions more realistic.

Another tip, adding to Hidden's suggesting for a well-knitted world: when adding new elements, leave a good amount of room for other people to add their own spin to it. I introduced two rival gangs to Kismet, but have so far only identified them by colours and have made no mention of what sort of motivational differences keep them in conflict. Make a gang character, or perhaps let your character's thoughts wander when they watch someone with a red or green bandanna stealthing across the street, using the opportunity to reflect their opinions on those groups, or even involvements in them.

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards

I've got a really busy schedule, so I'm at my limit for conventional RPs. But this... I think I could manage this, and you have me intrigued. I'll see about getting a post up later; got a character I'm developing for a story that could be interesting...

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com

I've got a really busy schedule, so I'm at my limit for conventional RPs. But this... I think I could manage this, and you have me intrigued. I'll see about getting a post up later; got a character I'm developing for a story that could be interesting...
Great to see your post! Just for my own information, do you have a general age in mind for Raphael? I caught that Kisara is eighteen, and Raph feels like an older brother, but I figured I'd check.

Or maybe tomorrow... sorry, got caught up in some stuff.
No problem! You've got a week.

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards

21, 22, somewhere around there. They were raised together, so they're close as family, but the RP might see that change, don't know yet. You'll probably see Kisara's younger sister in here if Skitty Cat joins. Yes, Skitts, I know you're stalking us, you've already said so. Come, join us; haul your boyfriend's butt in while you're at it, too. All three of us could use a break. Thanks for the invite, Orion!

Story Keeper

Anxious Writer
Awards
Sending out my soul to worlds more beautiful

*calmly steps out of hiding* I plan on joining, I'm just trying to figure out the character I'm using. I've got an idea for two, one of which is Kisara's little sister.

And again, thanks for the invite Orion.

EDIT: I've got my opening post done, not too happy with the way it came out; but it'll have to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back