• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory rated E10+ by ESRB

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Update 2: Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory has been rated "Approved for children aged 12 and above" in Germany.

Update: Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory has been rated PG in Australia for mild themes and fantasy violence, online interactivity. Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory won't be censored either.

Like most of the games in the Kingdom Hearts series, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory has been rated E10+ in the United States by the Entertainment Software Rating Board for fantasy violence and mild language. The organisation has provided some detail behind this decision:

This is a rhythm-based game in which players help characters battle through worlds from the Kingdom Hearts series. On a scrolling track, players time button presses with musical queues in order to attack, dodge, and use magic against fantasy enemies. Animated sequences sometimes depict characters using keyblades to attack enemies in one-on-one combat; a handful of sequences involve characters being impaled—depicted off-screen or obscured by bright flashes of light. One song title contains the word “damned.”

Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory launches on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch later this year.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, the rumored Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus series, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Last edited by a moderator:

NoWay

Awards
„...players time button presses with musical queues in order to attack, dodge, and use magic against fantasy enemies“

Hmmm maybe the gameplay isn’t that boring or repetitive as expected. Maybe we can expect some kind of depth in gameplay.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
For a second I thought the song might of been "Hellfire" from Hunchback. I dont think that song was ever used in DDD
They specifically call out the song title as having the word "damned" in it, not any lyrics :)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
They specifically call out the song title as having the word "damned" in it, not any lyrics :)
I'm actually surprised a original piece of music in the series had a curse word in the title. As far as I knew the closest thing was "Fight to the Death" lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
“Damned” isn’t a curse word, though. I mean...okay it means like to be cursed hahaha but mean that it a term.

“Damn” is a mild curse word.

The ESRB isn’t intelligent and don’t know the difference

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I wonder which tracks will have impalement

My first instinct is either Kingdom of Corona or The Caribbean, but now that I'm thinking about it there's also Riku stabbing Maleficent or Terra-Xehanort stabbing himself.
“Damned” isn’t a curse word, though. I mean...okay it means like to be cursed hahaha but mean that it a term.

“Damn” is a mild curse word.

The ESRB isn’t intelligent and don’t know the difference
I would say probably most Americans recognize "damned" as being a swear.
Like in this context, I don't think so, but I think we're in the minority on that one.

Violet Pluto

Awards
@Oracle Spockanort Yeah, Damned isn't really too harsh but since it has and can be used as a harsher word for cursed (or accursed if you want to get fancy) usually people seem to put in the same category as curse words.

sakonan7

Awards
I think there's this rating too because it looks like the parts with Kairi's past are partially child unfriendly. The movie Logan had to up its rating to have the child unfriendly parts. The violence was just a benefit that came with the R rating. I think most of the games had at least one moment of child unfriendliness.

I wonder which tracks will have impalement

My first instinct is either Kingdom of Corona or The Caribbean, but now that I'm thinking about it there's also Riku stabbing Maleficent or Terra-Xehanort stabbing himself.

I would say probably most Americans recognize "damned" as being a swear.
Like in this context, I don't think so, but I think we're in the minority on that one.
Wow, I did not think of those. I did not think that this game might have tracks from III. If they do, I'm thinking they might use the III models for the gameplay. Not sure if they can though, because I'm pretty sure the gameplay uses the older games' engine
If there's depth to this game, that means it'll be worth it to spend $50 lol

Anr12

Doesn’t an ERSB rating come near the end of development? Are we thinking that this game maybe out sooner rather then later this year?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Doesn’t an ERSB rating come near the end of development? Are we thinking that this game maybe out sooner rather then later this year?
My uneducated guess is October at the latest. Square Enix is already talking about / offering next gen upgrades and editions (re: Marvel's Avengers) but KH was absent of that. That doesn't mean the game won't work on next gen consoles (it will), just that the game will drop away from the release of said consoles.

The Xbox marketing for the game doesn't make mention of the game being optimised for XSEX either, which I found to be odd since all Xbox games I've seen (though I don't really keep an eye out so I probably missed some) have had that label attached to them.

Right now I'm thinking October 2nd only because that's when Crash 4 comes out and I just know that's going to be fighting for my attention with something else >.<

SuperNova

Awards
Yeah, KH3 was graded by the ESRB back in October of 2018. So my amateur guess is September-October release. Maybe November but I don't think they'd release a title like this right when the PS5/XBOX X release.

Cumguardian69

Awards
KHMoM for an October-Novembee release to coincide with KHDR story update? Idk just my onion

Back