• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory game announced, releasing worldwide in 2020

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNova

Awards
I wouldn't consider Roxas more mature than Ven or Sora. What he lacks in optimism and bubbliness, he makes up for in emotional angry outbursts. Of course those outbursts are justified considering his origin and backstory, but in my opinion he is just as emotional and volatile as his "brothers." He's just quieter and more introspective.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I think it's because of his personality. He contrasts a lot with Sora and Ventus.
Yeah, but the truth is most Kingdom Hearts gamers were in their teens when KH2 came out, and thus felt a lot more from Roxas because he exemplified that teen angst emo anger vibe that so many have at that age.

Days disappointed a lot of people because it portrayed him in a much more "baby learning the world" light, taking away from that same angry teenager against the world feeling from the KH2 prologue.

The truth is that teenage angst is also an immaturity in and of itself, but some people never actually grow out of it, never becoming "adults" and instead thinking that the teenage angst is somehow what being more mature is.

The actual mature character in this series is Riku, who got over that teenage emo thought process and accepting being a leader, an adult in charge so to speak. But some people don't like that he gave up the focus on darkness. Basically a similar group of people who fangasm over Sasuke in Naruto.

If you really think about it, the entirety of KH2 was an emo kid's wet dream. Roxas had that teenage angst, Riku was going through a phase where he tried to hide away himself from everything, the entire Organization are anime trope emo people without hearts and emotion.

That's just my thoughts on it, though I'm sure some might get angry at me about it.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Like someone else mentioned there’s a difference between fanon and canon interpretations. For some reason Roxas became the broody emo counterpart to Ven’s cheerful persona when in reality Roxas expresses many positive emotions throughout Days and 2.
He gets excited about little things like he does in Wonderland and Neverland, and gets pouty and childish multiple times. Yet despite the range he expresses, people have Roxas locked to his KH2 intro and his suffering identity.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
There's also his super edgy dual wielding boss and appearance that adds to it. But those angry teen thing is one of the things that turned me off to KH2 Roxas. I always liked him better when he was with his friends or like Absent said, in places like Neverland, Wonderland, and even Beast Castle and Agrabah. It's rarely brought up that his KH2 persona was a fake identity created by DiZ.

ElysionRose

Awards
I wouldn't say that he is horrible at pacing his stories. I would say that instead it's like he keeps choosing to make games that don't lend themselves well to his style. KHIII was paced the way it was for the benefit of level design, which isn't the first or probably even the last time it will happen for that reason. I do think that the stories could be better paced, but I also don't have any complaints that are consistent over the entire franchise as some games are much better paced than others.
I mean I was mainly taking a jab at Kingdom hearts 3, it was also kind of a joke.

Interesting way to defend the pacing in kh3 though, first I've heard of it kind of makes sense from a design perspective.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm on the boat that thinks that Kingdom Hearts III actually lost more than a year of dev time, maybe even two years, and the reason all the original content felt so... botched, is because of lost time. So there's also that to take into consideration.
I'm on the same boat. A year of lost time and another year to recover from that. And why Dark Road and Melody of Memory are Dark Seeker-focused games despite that saga allegedly ending in KH3. Xehanort and Apprenticenort's backstories were very likely intended to get much more focus than was given, which would explain why Ansem's scene were so random and like there were big gaps of story in-between.

It's why I believe there will be a game (or maybe even a Disney+ series~) for every group. Each game focusing on plot lines that were meant to be in KH3 or get more development in.

Roxas and Xion's memories getting looked at by Namine. Mickey, Donald, and Goofy going to worlds Sora's has previously visited. Terra, Ven, and Aqua traversing the Realm of Darkness. All of these would be reusing assets for practically everything and would make for easy development. Dark Road has gone the UX route, and Melody of Memory is using the old style + UR4 stuff they've used in KH3 and Re:Mind. With Apprentice Xehanort and the lif-UHGLUGHBULGH... And the Ark being the only new UR4 assets we've seen so far. Kairi's Grandma might get a sexy new model too, but MoM will probably be 90% previous stuff. And that is set to release this year. Not even a full year after Re:Mind, so we could get one or two games next year as well.

Violet Pluto

Awards
There's also his super edgy dual wielding boss and appearance that adds to it. But those angry teen thing is one of the things that turned me off to KH2 Roxas. I always liked him better when he was with his friends or like Absent said, in places like Neverland, Wonderland, and even Beast Castle and Agrabah. It's rarely brought up that his KH2 persona was a fake identity created by DiZ.
...Huh? Did I miss something? I mean it was a fake identity, but it was still Roxas. DiZ didn't seem to have messed with who he was, just jumbled his memories when he put him in the Data Town. Also "KH2 Roxas" really wasn't edgy outside of the understandable problems with DiZ and his identity. For me personally I thought 358 was way edgier but that's opinion for you.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm on the same boat. A year of lost time and another year to recover from that. And why Dark Road and Melody of Memory are Dark Seeker-focused games despite that saga allegedly ending in KH3. Xehanort and Apprenticenort's backstories were very likely intended to get much more focus than was given, which would explain why Ansem's scene were so random and like there were big gaps of story in-between.

It's why I believe there will be a game (or maybe even a Disney+ series~) for every group. Each game focusing on plot lines that were meant to be in KH3 or get more development in.

Roxas and Xion's memories getting looked at by Namine. Mickey, Donald, and Goofy going to worlds Sora's has previously visited. Terra, Ven, and Aqua traversing the Realm of Darkness. All of these would be reusing assets for practically everything and would make for easy development. Dark Road has gone the UX route, and Melody of Memory is using the old style + UR4 stuff they've used in KH3 and Re:Mind. With Apprentice Xehanort and the lif-UHGLUGHBULGH... And the Ark being the only new UR4 assets we've seen so far. Kairi's Grandma might get a sexy new model too, but MoM will probably be 90% previous stuff. And that is set to release this year. Not even a full year after Re:Mind, so we could get one or two games next year as well.
If that's true, do you think Vor and the others might have been mentioned in KH3 if the Xehanort game came before it? And do you think Apprenticenort (lol) could have been a seeker?

...Huh? Did I miss something? I mean it was a fake identity, but it was still Roxas. DiZ didn't seem to have messed with who he was, just jumbled his memories when he put him in the Data Town. Also "KH2 Roxas" really wasn't edgy outside of the understandable problems with DiZ and his identity. For me personally I thought 358 was way edgier but that's opinion for you.
Roxas was more human in the data Twilight Town then he normally was. He acted more like a citizen who knew basic stuff oppose to learning humanity. With messed up memories it would be easy to program him. Yes, many of his elements stayed but it was mixed in with the programming of TT citizen life, something he didn't have before.

redcrown

Awards
Why are we even assuming that Kairi will get a proper game? I'm just betting that Melody of Memory has a "A Fragmentary Passage" ish game with playable Kairi that will serve as a demo for DDD Vol2.

Don't get my hopes up that it's only a prologue and not a full game.
And no that wasn't a typo.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Why are we even assuming that Kairi will get a proper game? I'm just betting that Melody of Memory has a "A Fragmentary Passage" ish game with playable Kairi that will serve as a demo for DDD Vol2.
The problem is there would be a noticeable difference in the graphics for cutscenes & gameplay due to the Switch version, which doesn't strike me as likely. Chances are, if Kairi's "Playable", it'll be her taking Sora's spot in the later songs.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Anyone else feel like this "expl0ring kairi backstory" is supposed to be part of REMIND?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
If that's true, do you think Vor and the others might have been mentioned in KH3 if the Xehanort game came before it? And do you think Apprenticenort (lol) could have been a seeker?
I think so. At the very least in the past Scala scenes, which might have had more initially and not just the chess game.

For Apprenticenort, I say no as Ansem SoD is him, just sexier.

The Just a Pancake video for this game will be spectacular.
Kairi slept for a whole year because Ienzo got distracted playing Theatrhythm.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Roxas was more human in the data Twilight Town then he normally was. He acted more like a citizen who knew basic stuff oppose to learning humanity. With messed up memories it would be easy to program him. Yes, many of his elements stayed but it was mixed in with the programming of TT citizen life, something he didn't have before.

That's not a personality change. That was just himself, but in normal circumstances. And in every other game he's appeared in he has his KHII personality on lock. Personally, I'm glad the whole juvenile, wide eyed baby shtick is over. I don't need the infantilazation of a character.

---

Anyway, I do think Roxas is mature in comparison to Sora, for sure, and while Ven has his serious moments, he still has the whole childlike purity. Roxas has gone through too much to have that sort of innocence. So maybe I understand now the idea that he's "mature". It's just only in comparison to more seemingly immature characters than him though.

drew0512

Awards
On a side note, since Kairi is apparently talking about "Fate" in her spoken scene one thing that's bothering me for quite a while as a native German speaker is the whole Fate/Destiny issue.
What's the difference between the two? Do they mean essentially the same? Especially in fictional works those two tend to be very often used interchangeably and in German they are translated mainly into the same word. If so, why have two distinct words for the same thing?
Fate refers to something that you can't predict, change and even comprehend. In the greek mythology, it is determined by the Moirai and the gods, not even Zeus, can change nor influence it (the Parcae and the Norns have the same role in the roman and the norse mythologies, respectively). Destiny (which gained importance in ancient Rome) puts the focus on humans and, as it pertains to human characteristics, can be changed by your own actions.

They are pretty much used interchangeably today, but you can see the difference from time to time.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Don't get my hopes up that it's only a prologue and not a full game.
And no that wasn't a typo.
It's possible. Melody of Memory is the full game, while it features an hour to three hour scenario with playable Kairi.

The problem is there would be a noticeable difference in the graphics for cutscenes & gameplay due to the Switch version,
It's not like they have to make the next KH game accessible for Switch.

if Kairi's "Playable", it'll be her taking Sora's spot in the later songs.
By playable I meant akin to her inclusion in Re:MIND. A different gameplay style from MoM's. I sincerely doubt that her confrontation with Apprentice Xehanort is gonna be Melody gameplay.

Or rather... I refuse to believe we're gonna fight Apprentice Nort using THAT gameplay... ;~;

Kairi slept for a whole year because Ienzo got distracted playing Theatrhythm.
I'm having mental pictures of Ienzo telling Master Ansem how weird it is that they have to play a rhythm game to access Sora's memories lol

SweetYetSalty

Awards
For Apprenticenort, I say no as Ansem SoD is him, just sexier.
I wanna debate the sexier part...but can't.

It's possible. Melody of Memory is the full game, while it features an hour to three hour scenario with playable Kairi.

By playable I meant akin to her inclusion in Re:MIND. A different gameplay style from MoM's. I sincerely doubt that her confrontation with Apprentice Xehanort is gonna be Melody gameplay.

Or rather... I refuse to believe we're gonna fight Apprentice Nort using THAT gameplay... ;~;

I'm having mental pictures of Ienzo telling Master Ansem how weird it is that they have to play a rhythm game to access Sora's memories lol
Why wouldn't Kairi's confrontation be Melody based? If that's how the game is played it would be odd to have that one fight not be rhythm. It would be like COM suddenly doing away with the cards when fighting Marluxia. It's the style of the game. So prepare for Kairi to battle Apprentice Xehanort in a shower of musical notes and become the second coming of 'Ursula's Revenge' how can that not excite you?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Surefire way to disappoint me there.

That's like thinking the Org members in CoM shouldn't obey the rules of the cards and just fight normally. Or the Foretellers shouldn't bother with turn-based battles. Rhythm is how MoM is played and there's no inherent reason to assume otherwise. Especially since the trailer showed how boss battles work with the Xemnas part.

SuperNova

Awards
While KH on the Switch is something I've wanted for a long time, and I'm not really against them reusing PS2 graphics because I'm really used to the older engine. But if it's easier for the developers to stick to PS/Xbox then I would prefer they stick to a system they are comfortable with. (I still want DDDv2 on Switch though.)

Katsagu

Awards
And why Dark Road and Melody of Memory are Dark Seeker-focused games despite that saga allegedly ending in KH3.

This is what's kind of worrying me. I really wanted to move on from xehanort after KH3. But so far, we're still stuck with Xehanort and his shenanigans. No foretellers, no yozora , no Luxu's box. I really hope they move on.

The fact the trailer even aludes to a "Final Plan" by xehanort is just...ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back