• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory game announced, releasing worldwide in 2020

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
KH1 really is still the peak of the franchise huh
Some days I think a full remake of KH1 with 2's gameplay and 3's world design would be the undisputed best game of the series. But then I realize they'd ruin everything great about KH1 in the process. Even FF7R isn't enough to fill me with hope.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I notice that too. Nomura himself stated that it's MX controlling Terra's body (or rather, the plot mysteries part of the old BBS Ultimania stated that).

But the dialogue itself is confusing. Most of the time it speaks as if it IS MX in Terra's body, but a few times it sounds like "Dark Terra" instead.

"You'll never be able to break these chains, they're OUR bonds!" (unless that line was meant to be mockery?)

EDIT: This confusion also happened in DDD, where the dialogue acted as if Ansem SoD was 100% Master Xehanort, but KH3 acted like he was separate.
Funnily enough then KH3 acts like Ansem SoD is 100% apprentice Xehanort, which would be closer then Master Xehanort, to be fair. I think they flip flop between what which Xehanort knows or acts like what. Remember when Xemnas was more like apprentice Xehanort in KH2 when confronting Ansem the Wise?

2 quid is good

Awards
Some days I feel think a full remake of KH1 with 2's gameplay and 3's world design would be the undisputed best game of the series. But then I realize they'd ruin everything great about KH1 in the process. Even FF7R isn't enough to fill me with hope.
Oh yeah, I do agree there. The last thing I'd want is KH1s plot retroactively changed to make it fit with new canon

Zul

Awards
Funnily enough then KH3 acts like Ansem SoD is 100% apprentice Xehanort, which would be closer then Master Xehanort, to be fair. I think they flip flop between what which Xehanort knows or acts like what. Remember when Xemnas was more like apprentice Xehanort in KH2 when confronting Ansem the Wise?

That conversation felt more like an AX-DiZ interaction than the ASoD-DiZ one in KH3 did lol.
Makes me wonder what the convo would be if both Xemnas and Ansem showed up to take DiZ to the mansion.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
That conversation felt more like an AX-DiZ interaction than the ASoD-DiZ one in KH3 did lol.
Makes me wonder what the convo would be if both Xemnas and Ansem showed up to take DiZ to the mansion.
That would be confusing and hilarious at the same time. Xemnas and Ansem would probably be swapping memories right there on the spot, finishing each other confusing sentences and downright exhausting DiZ. I wish that happened.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I was already doubtful that Kairi would forever remain a PoH anyway. It's a bit inelegant for her to be in 2 different generations. Have her pass the torch to Vanellope or something.
I saw someone say once that Kairi might have been allowed to remain a Princess because her heart wasn't used to forge the Keyblade of people's hearts in KH1. Like, if a Princess fails to keep her light safe, it's passed on to someone new.
Following that line of thinking, it's possible that Xehanort shattering her into a bazillion little pieces revoked her Princess status.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I saw someone say once that Kairi might have been allowed to remain a Princess because her heart wasn't used to forge the Keyblade of people's hearts in KH1. Like, if a Princess fails to keep her light safe, it's passed on to someone new.
Following that line of thinking, it's possible that Xehanort shattering her into a bazillion little pieces revoked her Princess status.
Yeah, she was used to make the X-blade there so that's like the other 6 being used to create the key to hearts in KH1.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You know what, I don't hate this. Just hand me a release date, Square Enix, and I'll pre-order on PS4.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
ah, exhausting as ever, alexis.
What can I say, it's a special kind of vindication to witness how every decision Nomura makes reinforces the criticisms surrounding his handling of the series. KH3 so fundamentally failed at its own explicit objectives that fans are now being baited with a rhythm game for an hour or two of Kairi plot.

But by all means, feast away. I'm not here to unhook anyone, just to laugh at the absurdity of it all. The fans really do always win with this franchise.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You know what, I don't hate this. Just hand me a release date, Square Enix, and I'll pre-order on PS4.
Give me Beginner difficulty & I'll get it on Switch.

Heck, I'm suddenly tempted to buy Curtain Call for 3DS now. It's under $10 on Amazon. 👀

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Does anyone know how Melody of Memory will play? It will be so weird to see something constantly swap between PS2 and PS4 graphics in one title.

Will the rhythm games be mini-games and there's actual Kairi gameplay (non-rhythm) that they haven't shown yet? It will be SO disappointing that Kairi's game is a rhythm game and you barely even play as her (dare I say it's sexist). I'd have rather revisited the same worlds in KH3 with Kairi and get new cutscenes.

GreyouTT

Awards
Its really sad that the Kairi game a lot of fans have been clamoring for STILL found a way to put her on the back burner by somehow making KH1 Sora playable for the 50th time. I really hope we can unlock other characters..

It said ya can.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Its really sad that the Kairi game a lot of fans have been clamoring for STILL found a way to put her on the back burner by somehow making KH1 Sora playable for the 50th time. I really hope we can unlock other characters..
There will be many playable characters.
Undoubtedly in a fashion similar to Theatrhythm, which lets you make parties with characters from all over the FF franchise.
Probably including variant designs so if you really wanted, you could have a party of KH1 Kairi, KHII Kairi and KHIII Kairi.
Maybe.

SuperNova

Awards
Thats good to know, considering KH1 Sora's combos while in movement makes him look like he's got butter attached to his feet. I would love to see what animations KH1 Kairi and KH2 Kairi could potentially have, that is if she is even playable in her own game, but knowing Square I'm not getting my hopes up.

Eonstar890

Awards
Hmmmm.. so my logical deduction here is that Melody of Memory refers to Kairi’s memories and an attempt to resurface the ones she lost from her childhood in Radiant Garden. The flashbacks seem to be evidence towards this at least.

Based off this I get the feeling that the actual gameplay is going to be explained very similarly to coded or the limit cut episode where we are “playing” as Kairi who is playing as these characters in some datascape or memory chamber or what have you to recover these memories by attuning her heart or some mumbo jumbo like that.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from a story aspect, and I must say I get why this is happening. Kairi has no reason to be traversing Disney worlds, and KH has to incorporate them some way so this is how that’s being tackled. I wish actual playable Kairi in a typical KH game was happening, but for all we know it still can in the near future. Also if they’re really going to show us MoM face then I am HYPED for this game! :D

Honestly I just feel lucky to be living in an era post KH3 where new releases do not need a decade to arrive :’)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Does anyone know how Melody of Memory will play? It will be so weird to see something constantly swap between PS2 and PS4 graphics in one title.

Will the rhythm games be mini-games and there's actual Kairi gameplay (non-rhythm) that they haven't shown yet? It will be SO disappointing that Kairi's game is a rhythm game and you barely even play as her (dare I say it's sexist). I'd have rather revisited the same worlds in KH3 with Kairi and get new cutscenes.
There seems to be 3 types of play styles:

1. The semi-GH style with characters running on a track. I presume different buttons correspond to each party members. Graphics are in-game & thus focus on PS2/PSP/3DS(?) worlds.

2. "Event songs" where a video plays in the background. Theatrhythm FF had these for the old FMVs+Advent Children footage. Presumably this is how the DS/PS4 games are covered.

3. Bossfights have another format as shown by Zebra Xemnas. The closest analog I can think of is the rebuttal showdowns from Danganronpa's Bullet Time Battles (which it also treated as pseudo bossfights).

Kairi scenes are currently presumed to be cutscene only & are likely pre-rendered video files rather than in-game (because otherwise they can't run on Switch). I would not rule out the possibility of Kairi eventually taking part in the rhythm gameplay, particularly for the game's final boss which I guess is her vs. the new Black Coat in the boss-song format. But normal gameplay even for a few fights is highly unlikely in this title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back