• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Manga

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

WanPisu

Awards
Hello, new here. I thought I'd register today, even though I regularly follow the news on this site, since I needed some help.

I'm just wondering whether or not the different manga adaptions cover the whole story of the games?
By that I'm not asking whether they're fully canon or not but if they have proper/canon endings, instead of being cancelled in the middle of things. I'm specifically thinking about the first KH manga series but if you know anything about Chain of Memories or 358/2 days, that'd be great.

And lastly, what did you think of them?

Thanks~

Last edited:

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Hello, new here. I thought I'd register today, even though I regularly follow the news on this site, since I needed some help.

I'm just wondering whether or not the different manga adaptions cover the whole story of the games?
By that I'm not asking whether they're fully canon or not but if they have proper/canon endings, instead of being cancelled in the middle of things. I'm specifically thinking about the first KH manga series but if you know anything about Chain of Memories or 358/2 days, that'd be great.

Thanks~

I was a fan of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Manga. I thought the whole story overall was pretty good and a lot more in depth than the game. There were a lot of scenes that connected and made me chuckle like Demyx and Roxas seeing themselves as being as muscular as Lexaeus.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
All the manga series so far (except KH II which is still ongoing) have had proper endings as far as I know.

KH I is four volumes long, CoM two, Days five and KH II (so far) seven I think.

Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance and Coded do not have a manga adaption (yet).

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I love the manga adaptations. The characters of the manga are very human and well characterised, which is something that I think is missing from the games. Amano's playful whimsies are really visible in how sometimes he throws in some absurd situations... I don't want to spoil you, so all I can say is that you'll see what I mean if you've read them.

There isn't as much fighting in the manga as it is in the games, but I personally think the flow of the story and the characters' general likability more than makes up for it. Amano's art style is also a refreshing change from that of Nomura that we've seen in official artworks, although I'm not saying that any of them is bad.

WanPisu

Awards
I was a fan of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Manga. I thought the whole story overall was pretty good and a lot more in depth than the game. There were a lot of scenes that connected and made me chuckle like Demyx and Roxas seeing themselves as being as muscular as Lexaeus.

That's nice to hear, I'll consider picking it up! But first I'll have to play the game, which I haven't done yet Dx

All the manga series so far (except KH II which is still ongoing) have had proper endings as far as I know.

KH I is four volumes long, CoM two, Days five and KH II (so far) seven I think.

Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance and Coded do not have a manga adaption (yet).

Thanks for that! I tried looking it up a bit myself but I wanted to be sure. How I'd love a Birth By Sleep manga though!

I love the manga adaptations. The characters of the manga are very human and well characterised, which is something that I think is missing from the games. Amano's playful whimsies are really visible in how sometimes he throws in some absurd situations... I don't want to spoil you, so all I can say is that you'll see what I mean if you've read them.

There isn't as much fighting in the manga as it is in the games, but I personally think the flow of the story and the characters' general likability more than makes up for it. Amano's art style is also a refreshing change from that of Nomura that we've seen in official artworks, although I'm not saying that any of them is bad.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting things to be exactly like in the game but I'm sure those differences would make it an entertaining read nonetheless. The manga probably has more room for comedic scenes than the game even though fights are obviously very important aswell, since it all does end up being a struggle to save the world.

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely pick up some volumes!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
The mangas are a very fun read and I'd highly recommend them. They do skip worlds here and there, but they do fully follow the stories of each respective game that they are based on. All of the things made by Amano, including the mangas, novels, and light novels, are termed 3rd-tier canon I believe.

Which means they follow right behind the actual games and interviews in terms of being canon. I know they do fill in some story gaps like Vanitas' origin and stuff for the time being, until or if the games or Nomura ever reveal them to be true.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The mangas are a very fun read and I'd highly recommend them. They do skip worlds here and there, but they do fully follow the stories of each respective game that they are based on. All of the things made by Amano, including the mangas, novels, and light novels, are termed 3rd-tier canon I believe.

Actually, the novels aren't made by Amano. They are penned by Kanemaki, who wrote the storyline for Days, but are indeed illustrated by Amano.

Ah, seeing his illustration for the BbS novels makes me really covet the manga adaptation for BbS more and more.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Ah, seeing his illustration for the BbS novels makes me really covet the manga adaptation for BbS more and more.
You and many more. ;A; Especially with how well he's done the other manga.

WanPisu

Awards

Indeed. The game was fantastic and I'd love to see the story told through something like a manga.

Which means they follow right behind the actual games and interviews in terms of being canon. I know they do fill in some story gaps like Vanitas' origin and stuff for the time being, until or if the games or Nomura ever reveal them to be true.

Lovely to know, nothing beats canon~

I just ordered the KH Final Mix volumes, can't wait!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Actually, the novels aren't made by Amano. They are penned by Kanemaki, who wrote the storyline for Days, but are indeed illustrated by Amano.

Ah, my mistake, just shows how little I actually know about the novels :( Thanks for the correction.

blksabbath74

Is there any word on future manga's to come out?

My daughter loves them and we have collected and read all 4 of the original Kingdom Hearts mangas, the 2 Chain of Memories mangas, and the first 2 Kingdom Hearts II mangas I could find in English (all by Tokyo Pop). I found volumes 3-5 as well as 358/2 v1-4, but only available in Japanese and German.

In addition, I have the Yen Press 358/2 v1 under the Christmas Tree (along with a keyblade I built from pvc pipe, foam and duct tape) and have 2 and 3 pre-ordered. They have no release date for 4, but I am assuming it will be coming later this year.

Does anyone have any knowledge of plans for future releases? I would love to get the final 3 volumes of KH2, and woulds also love to get mangas of BBS and DDD.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is there any word on future manga's to come out?

My daughter loves them and we have collected and read all 4 of the original Kingdom Hearts mangas, the 2 Chain of Memories mangas, and the first 2 Kingdom Hearts II mangas I could find in English (all by Tokyo Pop). I found volumes 3-5 as well as 358/2 v1-4, but only available in Japanese and German.

In addition, I have the Yen Press 358/2 v1 under the Christmas Tree (along with a keyblade I built from pvc pipe, foam and duct tape) and have 2 and 3 pre-ordered. They have no release date for 4, but I am assuming it will be coming later this year.

Does anyone have any knowledge of plans for future releases? I would love to get the final 3 volumes of KH2, and woulds also love to get mangas of BBS and DDD.

Er, you should probably sell/store those Tokyopop copies and get the new Yen Press KH2 print. They are two omnibuses that collect volumes 1-5 together. Volume 3 is split between the two (YP KH2 vol. 1: 1-first half of 3, YP KH2 vol. 2: second half of 3-5)

Also I recommend getting YP KH1 vol 1 + 2 because they have a couple bonus chapters not included in the original TokyoPop print.

There are no BBS and KH3D mangas currently. Shiro Amano is still working on KH2. The 7th volume just released late last month in Japan, and volume 8 will be out next year.

Here is a list of what is out and where to buy:

KINGDOM HEARTS Manga & Artbook Available for Pre-Order! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Last edited:

blksabbath74

Er, you should probably sell/store those Tokyopop copies and get the new Yen Press KH2 print. They are two omnibuses that collect volumes 1-5 together. Volume 3 is split between the two (YP KH2 vol. 1: 1-first half of 3, YP KH2 vol. 2: second half of 3-5)

Also I recommend getting YP KH1 vol 1 + 2 because they have a couple bonus chapters not included in the original TokyoPop print.

There are no BBS and KH3D mangas currently. Shiro Amano is still working on KH2. The 7th volume just released late last month in Japan, and volume 8 will be out next year.

Here is a list of what is out and where to buy:

KINGDOM HEARTS Manga & Artbook Available for Pre-Order! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Ahhh, thank you very much. I should have known, since they collected the others into larger volumes.

We are waiting to start KH2 until we finish 258/2, so that it will make more sense, but I will probably spend some Christmas money to grab the Yen Press versions.

I would love to have to whole saga told in manga. That is the one thing my daughter reliably asks to read EVERY night.

What additional content is in the KH mangas, roughly? Did they ever include Halloween Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back