• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts IV and Missing-Link officially announced!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NoWay

Awards
The game is in early development? What were they doing since 2019? I expected the game to be near to completion
I don’t want to wait to play the game till I’m in my late 20s (I’m 24)

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The game is in early development? What did they do since 2019? I expected the game to be near to completion
Assuming we still visit Disney worlds in the game, maybe it's a mix of deciding which Disney worlds to select for the game alongside Kingdom Hearts IV transition from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5.

I remember the day when Big Hero 6 was announced back in D23 2015 and the development of that world started around the same time as the announcement so I'm not faulting Square Enix for taking their time with this game.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
The game is in early development? What did they do since 2019? I expected the game to be near to completion
At least you’re still 24. How do you think the rest of us feel? 😭 We want to see the series finale before we die from overworking into our 80’s.

I agree though. What have they been doing since 2019?😕

okhi12

Awards
Vacations, ReMind, Melody of Memory, FF7R and other projects... I mean, the development could be a bit more advanced but it's not like they've been doing nothing in 3 years.

NoWay

Awards
Assuming we still visit Disney worlds in the game, maybe it's a mix of deciding which Disney worlds to select for the game alongside Kingdom Hearts IV transition from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5.

I remember the day when Big Hero 6 was announced back in D23 2015 and the development of that world started around the same time as the announcement so I'm not faulting Square Enix for taking their time with this game.
But still three years are a really long period. Considering they already have the KH3 assets I really expected the next game to release very soon or at least in early 2023. But I’m gonna wait till we have more informations. At this point don’t even know on which consoles the game releases

AR829038

Awards
What were they doing since 2019?
Well, I'm not sure you heard, but after 2019, something called covid happened.

In all seriousness though, making these games takes a LOT of time before they can even start on the real development. The last couple years—which were indeed heavily strained by the pandemic, so it's not like they were just twiddling their thumbs—were probably spent working out the story, the setting, ironing out legal stuff with Disney, programming, testing out the brand-new UE5 to explore its capabilities. Cut them a bit of slack. The game looks like it's going to be enormous, and "early development" could mean a lot of things.

Chie

Awards
Besides making remind and MoM, the writers and designers have to actually write and design things before the whole team can start putting them into the game. This takes time and consideration. Those writers and designers were also working on UX + Dark Road even if the functional dev teams for those games are tiny, and now Missing-Link as well.

If Missing-Link wasn't a fake phone game, you'd be getting your new KH action-RPG this year, and you would have already gotten another one (Dark Road).

"Early development" shouldn't mean "wait 4-5 years" and in fact didn't at all until recently, games were made pretty quickly in the past. Ideally they can still be made quickly now, it's something that directors are constantly wishing for. Let's see what happens.

AR829038

Awards
But still three years are a really long period. Considering they already have the KH3 assets I really expected the next game to release very soon or at least in early 2023. But I’m gonna wait till we have more informations. At this point don’t even know on which consoles the game releases
The KH3 assets don't mean anything. This game is switching to UE5, which means all the models from KH3 are useless. They basically have to build EVERYTHING from the ground up.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The KH3 assets don't mean anything. This game is switching to UE5, which means all the models from KH3 are useless. They basically have to build EVERYTHING from the ground up.
That’s not true at all. Epic have included asset migration from UE4 to UE5 to make it easy to move projects over.

Sonofjafar

Awards
KH4 looks amazing but one final question remains. Will Missing Link have a custom player character? My favorite part of Union X was the fact that it was basically a way to fans to insert themselves into the plot

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Trust me, 2023 is too early. Speaking from a guy who spent years in the rough waiting for each installment. i expect early 2024, which is still quite optimistic considering nomura. But the fact that assets are already there and the team is familiar with the engine. Only improvements are needed instead of building from the ground up, im looking favourably.

horto12485

Awards
I just hope that there will be Disney Worlds for Kingdom Hearts IV oh well no Kairi game before KH4... And who was speaking to Donald and Goofy?

AR829038

Awards
That’s not true at all. Epic have included asset migration from UE4 to UE5 to make it easy to move projects over.
Ok, fair enough. I'll admit my ignorance to the game making process. Nevertheless, it looks like a LOT of the game will take place in Quadratum, which mostly will have to be built from the ground up. We had Shibuya in the Secret Episode, but that and Yozora are really the only assets they can carry over.

NoWay

Awards
Ok, fair enough. I'll admit my ignorance to the game making process. Nevertheless, it looks like a LOT of the game will take place in Quadratum, which mostly will have to be built from the ground up. We had Shibuya in the Secret Episode, but that and Yozora are really the only assets they can carry over.
To be honest, this time I really do wonder if the Quadratum part is going to be open world like? I mean, normally KH isn’t the type of game to be open world but in the setting of Quadratum it could be fitting if the majority of the game takes places there.

Did you also notice the style change between the Quadratum part and the Donald & Goofy part? The latter looked like the KH3 style whereas the former had a completely new style

AR829038

Awards
To be honest, this time I really do wonder if the Quadratum part is going to be open world like? I mean, normally KH isn’t the type of game to be open world but in the setting of Quadratum it could be fitting if the majority of the game takes places there.

Did you also notice the style change between the Quadratum part and the Donald & Goofy part? The latter looked like the KH3 style whereas the former had a completely new style
Yeah. I speculate Quadratum can be more open-world, because, unlike the main KH universe, there wasn't any cataclysmic event that separated the worlds, so it should be all one landmass to travel freely over. Personally, though, I'm not much of an open-world guy myself, and I'd prefer a world-selection type setup (especially for when you need to return quickly to other areas for sidequests and level grinding).
As for the Disney realm, I'm hoping that gameplay gets split between playing as Sora in Quadratum and playing as other characters back in the RoL. What I'm worried about is the possibility of the entire game taking place in Quadratum with only cutscenes interspersed showing the other characters doing stuff back home. Don't get me wrong, Quadratum looks sick, but I'm hoping for some variety in the gameplay locations.

Awards
Missing Link may be a mobile game, but at least it's 3D. Fucking finally. Hope it ends up on consoles like Genshin did, I guess.

And Sora has completed his transition from Disney Boi to FF lad. Lookin' sharp.

Why does the new Darkside look like CHAOS

Back