• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts is coming to PC! Releasing March 30 exclusively on the Epic Games Store

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There's a twitter user whom I can't recall the name of that makes high quality UE4 maps of older Kingdom Hearts settings, like Traverse Town. Imagine running around there in KH3, hearing Hand in Hand all over again. Imagine instant Keyblade switching, no more half second of lag when you want to switch your weapon mid-combo, now you can be as stylish and improvisational as you want without dropping your combo. Imagine the character mods, be it playable, boss, or team. Sulley vs Vanitas. Going through the game as KH2 Sora. Drive forms in cutscenes. Relocating Data Battles to unique arenas. Modded Keyblades. Day/Night mods for different worlds.

If your head isn't spinning with the possibilities, who are you?

Are you thinking of Caleb? He’s amazing and talented.

We can move Disney characters out of their worlds and have them in parties, making the game a real Disney crossover. Big Hero 6 can actually be party members altogether.

People are going to mod in Spider-Man for the hell of it. Model from FF8 Remastered can be added straight into KH1/KH2. Dissidia model rips right into all of the older KH games, too...

People are going to make their own super critical mode hack that’ll be like Dark Souls.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If this was a surprise announcement then a Switch port may be likely after all.
Nomura: Kingdom Hearts announcements will be taking a break for 2021.

*February 11th*

Nomura: Ok i might've lied a bit
Honestly, this is a smart idea. Kingdom Hearts' 20th Anniversary is next year so why not expand the install base in the meantime?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Wow. Now mind, I don't rebuy games (dual audio isn't enough for me to bother) but I bet PC gamers who don't have a PS4 or Xbox are going to luvv this.

Not to mention the modding, tho as I said, that's still not enough for me to pull the trigger. Epic store isn't a problem for me either but still.

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
heres to hoping that they add the form changes to cutscenes in a patch instead of keeping form changes in boss battle scenes. also hoping that EGS adds all keyblades to download because then i too would throw a fit if i dont get my midnight blue back ;_____;

also wondering too since its going to be on epic if you sign in on PSN or Xbox and keep your trophies/achieves? i would love to sign back in on my psn through epic and bang out the last of my trophies without having to do it again, if not then restarting from scratch wouldnt be so bad

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Are you thinking of Caleb? He’s amazing and talented.

Shit, yeah! His stuff is the bomb and it shouldn't be too hard to make it compatible with KH3.

People are going to make their own super critical mode hack that’ll be like Dark Souls.

To be honest, I'd like to see the damage floor (the minimum amount of damage you can do to bosses and enemies in worlds) raised significantly. Osaka Team really didn't bother with this in KH3 at all, making Level 1 Crit a boring war of attrition and link spam. What's funny is that the damage scaling is really good in the Limit Cut and Secret episodes, but they never fixed up the maingame. Nothing fun about fighting Sköll for twelve minutes.

AegisXIII

Awards
The pre-recorded cutscenes won't be improved. If they didn't do it during the multiple ports (and exports in the case of 358 and coded) then it's unlikely they're going to do it now.
Unfortunately you might be right. Which is sad considering that now there are so many AI techniques to improve picture resolutions.

Lulcy

Awards
Hopefuly this port will have 4K support for KH3, would be a nice improment from consoles were it only goes up 1290p on PS4Pro and 900p on base console. Would also be nice if the same were done for the older games.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This was certainly big news. I'm not a PC gamer and the prices certainly are high, but this is great news for Kingdom Hearts. My sister is much more of a PC gamer then a console one. I had to force her to play the PS4 for Kingdom Hearts 3 last year. This will give her the perfect chance to get back into the series. I also am looking forward to seeing what the mods will do for KH3. It's going to be a fun wild time and I'm excited to see what craziness we get. Who said 2021 is going to be a slow Kingdom Hearts year? Looks pretty active to me :p

AegisXIII

Awards
Hopefuly this port will have 4K support for KH3, would be a nice improment from consoles were it only goes up 1290p on PS4Pro and 900p on base console. Would also be nice if the same were done for the older games.
I think all games are 4k on pro consoles (minus kh3, 0.2 and some cutscenes).

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
I'd be more surprised if it didn't; I assume it'll just support all the standard monitor resolutions. Ultrawide support is going to be curious.

And as Blenderudit mentioned, the Pro version of 1.5+II.5 runs at native 4K, though Re:CoM's cutscenes, Days and Re:coded, and a select few other scenes in the two numbered games and BbS (the cutscene immediately preceding The Battle of 1000 Heartless comes to mind) are upscaled from 720p because they're pre-rendered. On II.8's part, I'm unsure of where 3DHD sits in regards to resolution, but I'd assume it's native 4K as well.

lucky.peic

Awards
So I have to pay for something that PC players get for free, while they also get everything else I paid full price for cheaper!?

I was upset about KH going onto XBox and not being a PS exclusive. I had my meltdown over that when it was announced and only just recovered from that trauma. This is now reopening old wounds. If KH goes onto SWiTCH, I don't know if I will survive.

I'm a fan of the series. I have been for more than half of my life. This is a premeditated assault intended to make those who are not privileged (like me) without a $1000+ PC system and money to spend on all the games to suffer. The PC gamers will get the mods and the memories and the exclusive keyblades. What am I left with? Nothing, but pain, anguish, betrayal, and an endless abyss of sorrow knowing that loyalty means nothing in 2021. We deserve the new keyblade, not alienation and disparagement.

Cheesus crust what the hell is wrong with you, being so dramatic over a SINGLE freaking keyblade being exclusive to PC, there is exclusive keyblade for xbox and exclusive one for playstation i dont see how its unfair that PC gets one too

Also mods are UNOFFICIAL and not something advertised or even supported by square enix and there are even mods already for PS4 version of KH3 if you have modded PS4....

And what do you mean by "The PC gamers will get memories", what is the issue with some people playing for the first time on PC, do you even realise that you are being very selfish, just because you played the game and all the re-releases for years now on playstation does not mean that other platfroms dont have the right to finally play KH games too.

Literally the only things PC will have over consoles are a single keyblade RESKIN, japanese audio and better resolution and performance, nothing is being taken away from you, you will still have your PS4 version and they arent taking away anything from that version by releasing it on pc, and PC version wont dissapear, you will always be able to buy it when you get a PC capable of running it

I myself game mostly on PC but i do have microsoft, sony and nintendo consoles and when it comes to consoles playstation was always and will always be my favorite console but as i am also a PC gamer KH coming to PC is a big and amazing news and i cant wait to play it again
Not only will people who already played the games on consoles be able to play the again with stable framerates but also many new players who have not yet been able to enjoy KH series will now finally be able to enjoy it and that will only increase the fanbase so i really dont see why PC release would be a bad thing and a single freaking keyblade reskin being exclusive to one platform is really not really a big deal

heres to hoping that they add the form changes to cutscenes in a patch instead of keeping form changes in boss battle scenes. also hoping that EGS adds all keyblades to download because then i too would throw a fit if i dont get my midnight blue back ;_____;

also wondering too since its going to be on epic if you sign in on PSN or Xbox and keep your trophies/achieves? i would love to sign back in on my psn through epic and bang out the last of my trophies without having to do it again, if not then restarting from scratch wouldnt be so bad
Im not sure they will add playstation and xbox keybaldes to PC version, those are exclusive to those platforms
Same as playstation keyblade isnt on xbox and xbox keyblade isnt on playstation i doubt xbox and playstation ones are going to be on PC

Unfortunately you might be right. Which is sad considering that now there are so many AI techniques to improve picture resolutions.
Watching days and recoded cutscenes on 4K tv was awful, they are so low resolution
Maybe someone will extract them from the game and use AI upscaling and make higer res prerendered custcenes mod :)

I'd be more surprised if it didn't; I assume it'll just support all the standard monitor resolutions. Ultrawide support is going to be curious.

And as Blenderudit mentioned, the Pro version of 1.5+II.5 runs at native 4K, though Re:CoM's cutscenes, Days and Re:coded, and a select few other scenes in the two numbered games and BbS (the cutscene immediately preceding The Battle of 1000 Heartless comes to mind) are upscaled from 720p because they're pre-rendered. On II.8's part, I'm unsure of where 3DHD sits in regards to resolution, but I'd assume it's native 4K as well.
I hope for 144hz support at least in 0.2 and KH3, i know 1.5 and 2.5 games would probably have issues with higher framerates but 0.2 and 3 are using much more modern engine so i dont expect it will have any issues

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
I hope for 144hz support at least in 0.2 and KH3, i know 1.5 and 2.5 games would probably have issues with higher framerates but 0.2 and 3 are using much more modern engine so i dont expect it will have any issues
I would guess that II.8 and KH3, and maybe MoM would simply have an uncapped framerate, allowing for any refresh rate people could really want.

1.5+II.5, at least speaking for KH1 and KH2, would likely break completely above 60fps, because the physics are tied to the game's framerate, as seems to have been relatively common for games at the time. Just getting 60fps to work was likely a hassle that took a lot of engine tweaking, as upon the initial PS4 release there were a number of instances of broken physics (like KH1 Sephiroth's meteors flying twice as fast as they were supposed to), and a few minor instances still exist even after several patches. Applying a 60fps hack to an emulated version of the games shows the results more directly by jumping or knocking enemies into the air with Upper Slash, Finishing Leap or Guard Break: you jump/enemies fly half as high, and fall twice as fast.

I don't expect Re:CoM or BbS would be constrained in the same way - Re:CoM's debug menu even has a 60fps toggle - but I couldn't say for certain, the same going for 3DHD. I don't know if they could instate game-by-game frame limits, but it'd be kind of neat. MoM is likely fine, being built on Unity (I think that's right, anyway? I heard that somewhere).

As an aside, something that just dawned on me is that these are gonna have to have keyboard+mouse controls, right? I truly can't imagine controlling the game with those, it's such an alien thought.

redcrown

Awards
Mods I want: character model swapping so you can play as them in worlds they didn't explore in their own story, insane and creative Fallout 4 esque additions, cutscenes in different points of views and angles, night and day cycles in worlds, fan created side games with stories about different characters.

Mods we'll get if any: keyblade swapping and npc battles.

Awards
There's a twitter user whom I can't recall the name of that makes high quality UE4 maps of older Kingdom Hearts settings, like Traverse Town. Imagine running around there in KH3, hearing Hand in Hand all over again. Imagine instant Keyblade switching, no more half second of lag when you want to switch your weapon mid-combo, now you can be as stylish and improvisational as you want without dropping your combo. Imagine the character mods, be it playable, boss, or team. Sulley vs Vanitas. Going through the game as KH2 Sora. Drive forms in cutscenes. Relocating Data Battles to unique arenas. Modded Keyblades. Day/Night mods for different worlds.

If your head isn't spinning with the possibilities, who are you?
LAUNCHPAD YOU'RE SPEAKIN' MY GODDAMN LANGUAGE
f6d.jpg

lucky.peic

Awards
I would guess that II.8 and KH3, and maybe MoM would simply have an uncapped framerate, allowing for any refresh rate people could really want.

1.5+II.5, at least speaking for KH1 and KH2, would likely break completely above 60fps, because the physics are tied to the game's framerate, as seems to have been relatively common for games at the time. Just getting 60fps to work was likely a hassle that took a lot of engine tweaking, as upon the initial PS4 release there were a number of instances of broken physics (like KH1 Sephiroth's meteors flying twice as fast as they were supposed to), and a few minor instances still exist even after several patches. Applying a 60fps hack to an emulated version of the games shows the results more directly by jumping or knocking enemies into the air with Upper Slash, Finishing Leap or Guard Break: you jump/enemies fly half as high, and fall twice as fast.

I don't expect Re:CoM or BbS would be constrained in the same way - Re:CoM's debug menu even has a 60fps toggle - but I couldn't say for certain, the same going for 3DHD. I don't know if they could instate game-by-game frame limits, but it'd be kind of neat. MoM is likely fine, being built on Unity (I think that's right, anyway? I heard that somewhere).

As an aside, something that just dawned on me is that these are gonna have to have keyboard+mouse controls, right? I truly can't imagine controlling the game with those, it's such an alien thought.
Having uncapped framerate in kh3 and 0.2 would be enough for me, i know that kh1 and 2 had game logic and physics locked to framerate so i really dont expect anything more than 60

When it comes to keyboard and mouse controls i really hope they do it right, mouse and keyboard are my perfered input devices for gaming, i only use controller when i have to
Persona 4 golden on pc had akward camera controls on with mouse and keyboard so i had to use ps4 controller but some other games like for example FFXV had decent support for mouse and keyboard, not perfect but usable so i hope its the same or better for KH

lucky.peic

Awards
Ok so apparently the mere fact that it's on EGS means mods won't even happen.

If that's really the case does that mean people are gonna go for cracked versions?
It will probably release on steam eventually, all EGS exclusives were timed exclusives
I dont think square enix will support modding officialy so even on steam there probably wont be steam workshop for KH but people will most likely be editing game files directly which should be possible on EGS too

Most people will probably go for cracked version until it releases on steam

redcrown

Awards
Mods of the games would be the only reason I would ever buy them on PC. I've played most of them to death on the PlayStation consoles. I guess it's still cool the series will be accessible to more people, but there's not much incentive for me to buy them again if they can't be modded unhindered.

Mod idea I've always had: custom summons so I can summon Zero and Morph into battle. Also Disney party members in main villain boss battles. I need to see Woody and Sully defeat Xehanorts.

Back