• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts III to be developed on Unreal Engine 4!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Director Tetsuya Nomura announced in a recent interview with Famitsu that development of Kingdom Hearts III has been moved to Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 instead of Square Enix's in-house engine, Luminous Studios, due unstated reasons although right now they are having difficulties rendering with the engine. Nomura says they are working closely with Epic Games to work through any issues the development team may be having with the engine and are still on schedule with Kingdom Hearts III's development.

Back in October 2012, Square Enix made a long-term licensing deal with Epic Games for use of their Unreal Engine 3 & Unreal Engine 4. Many people believed these game engines would be used only on games developed by Eidos which is a subsidiary of Square Enix. 

Thanks to Goldpanner for the translation!

---Once more, may we as about the state of development on KH3?

Nomura: It’s moving steadily along the estimated schedule. As an effect of us changing the game engine to Unreal Engine 4, which we did for several reasons, we had a lot of problems with the image creation, but we have been able to progress without incident with the collaboration of Epic Games.

Watch Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 in action below:

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX- & Kingdom Hearts 3

Source: aibo_ac7 via Twitter

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 to run on Unreal Engine 4!

Interesting. I'm gonna go look up what this engine can do.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Not surprised after hearing the entire Luminous team was folded into the FF15 team. Sucks that yet another attempt at an in-house engine failed though. Such a waste.

It does make sense, all things considered. I remember reading that article about SE purchasing Unreal licenses and thinking it was odd since neither they nor Eidos really uses UE3 or 4.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
So what does this mean for the kingdom shader?

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards

Not surprised after hearing the entire Luminous team was folded into the FF15 team. Sucks that yet another attempt at an in-house engine failed though. Such a waste.

Yep. Man that's sad. Oh well.

I wonder what was giving them the problems in the first place in Luminous?

Heartkeeper

Awards
This a little embarrasing for Square, they develop an engine and they can't use it to develop their own games, or at least KHIII, really?.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This a little embarrasing for Square, they develop an engine and they can't use it to develop their own games, or at least KHIII, really?.

Not like this is the first time this happened (see: Crystal Tools - FF13)

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards
I don't care what engine they use as long as the game turns out well. It's just a tad unfortunate that they spent so much time on it to abandon it in the end.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't care what engine they use as long as the game turns out well. It's just a tad unfortunate that they spent so much time on it to abandon it in the end.

Well it's not abandoned. Luminous will be used on FFXV and the R&D guys who worked on the engine are working with the Tabata's team to make it happen. After FFXV, though? Who knows. That was a multi-million dollar R&D project that they would be wasting money on if they didn't find a way to implement it in future games. Luminous still has some great tools in it, though, so they could possibly customize it to work with other engines and middleware and use it as a special lighting system as Luminous started as.

It is a shame, though.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Does that mean the game won't be like the trailers or something? I don't understand what this really means. Did KH1 and 2 use an in-house engine or something else?

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
for those who don't know how the Unreal Engine 4 works and plays:

[video=youtube;y_7awHM-pr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7awHM-pr0[/video]

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Does that mean the game won't be like the trailers or something? I don't understand what this really means. Did KH1 and 2 use an in-house engine or something else?

The game was never going to be like the reveal trailer, and the second trailer was assets built with DirectX 11 which is not a game engine by any means.

Right now, all it means is that the game will be made with a lot more ease than they were having. How it will play and look are things we won't know until we see it but be certain it will look gorgeous and play well.

What does KH1 and KH2 have to do with anything?

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Yeah Nomura said both trailers were pre rendered.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's an impressive engine. I was super impressed by that video.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
People need to stop comparing KH3 to KH1 and KH2. KH1 and 2 are similar in that they share the same engine (I believe) and reuse all the assets. The graphics are the same. This is actually true for EVERY KINGDOM HEARTS GAME BESIDES CHAIN OF MEMORIES. Yeah, even the DS games just use lower poly versions of the very same PS2 models.

KH3 is completely goddamn new. They can't reuse anything. It's some hard work, and the detail is a lot higher now, judging from the alpha models we've seen, so that's why it's taking so long. You can't gauge the game's development with patterns.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Updated the article to clarify that the dev team is currently having issues rendering with Unreal Engine 4 but are working closely with Epic Games to resolve any problems. The reasons for switching from Luminous remains unstated.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
You guys just reminded me of the Deep Dive FMV. Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to look amazingly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back