• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukara

Awards
We've seen all the Disney worlds, so we know what they are. The game can be criticized on the basis of its selection because we know what the selection was. It's not just about environmental diversity (the other games had plenty of that, as well). Within Disney's archives, there is a wealth of artistic diversity in terms of tone, characterization, stylization and iconography throughout the studio's animation history, and that is just as important to making a KH game feel fully realized as basic level design concerns. That's not being represented in this title very well. Arguing that is is the most "unique" lineup when KH1 had Alice in Wonderland, Deep Jungle, and TNBC in the same game, and KH2 had Tron, PotC, Timeless River, and The Lion King is a very fraught assertion. We aren't even getting anything as breathtaking and inspired as Fantasia in DDD. That world's design alone puts what we've seen of most of KH3's to shame, and it was released for a handheld device 6-7 years ago.

But I thought it can't be judged yet because we haven't played it for ourselves? ;)

Aladdin already in part 2 KH seemed somewhat unnecessary.
Yes, maybe in KH1 there were more diverse worlds, but Alice is in Wonderland (The book is much better) and Peter Pen as for me is much inferior to the Lion King or Mulan, so the set of worlds in KH2 is in my opinion still the best. All cartoon presented in KH1 was never particularly interesting.

the red monster

Awards
I'm getting the shit outta here when story spoilers drop
i want to see how my waifu (aqua) story ends for myself

maximumlight8

Awards
Dubai usually does get copies of games early though, so next week I have a feeling we may get story spoilers.

CDD

Awards
I think we should see how the story itself plays out in the selection in Disney worlds before we start harping on them being bad choices.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Darkness Call

Not sure if this is in the right spot or not but figure it pertains to leaks, I just received a notification from amazon saying that Kingdom Hearts 3 will be delivered tomorrow? Im not sure if this is a mistake but did anyone else as well?

I didn't nor have I heard anything about it. I ordered from the Square Enix store, but if Amazon users are getting copies early for some reason that is soooo not fair! :(

maximumlight8

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

NoWay

Awards
We've seen all the Disney worlds, so we know what they are. The game can be criticized on the basis of its selection because we know what the selection was. It's not just about environmental diversity (the other games had plenty of that, as well). Within Disney's archives, there is a wealth of artistic diversity in terms of tone, characterization, stylization and iconography throughout the studio's animation history, and that is just as important to making a KH game feel fully realized as basic level design concerns. That's not being represented in this title very well. Arguing that is is the most "unique" lineup when KH1 had Alice in Wonderland, Deep Jungle, and TNBC in the same game, and KH2 had Tron, PotC, Timeless River, and The Lion King is a very fraught assertion. We aren't even getting anything as breathtaking and inspired as Fantasia in DDD. That world's design alone puts what we've seen of most of KH3's to shame, and it was released for a handheld device 6-7 years ago.

But I thought it can't be judged yet because we haven't played it for ourselves? ;)

No, we haven’t seen the FULL Disney worlds. And yeah we know what they are and they are offering you so much more than never before.

And I don’t judge the game. The difference is that I have been considering KH3 to be the best game experience after KH2 since the first announcement 2013 because it’s going to be on a much stronger console. Whereas, you are criticizing the game with arguments based on snippets you have seen in trailers or leaks which can definitely not represent the whole game experience. That’s the difference.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards

1. To your point about Disney's IPs: sure fine. They have better IPs than some of the ones chosen for KH3. But which IPs are familiar to Disney's new generation of viewers? Frozen, BH6, Tangled. PotC, Monsters Inc., Hercules, and Toy Story are more "timeless" picks that are for the older Disney viewers. If you break it down to marketing and toy logic, which is all that KH was ever meant to be (more on that in a minute): then all of these worlds make a ton of sense. Sure, I'd love some of the obscure or more classic worlds that were skipped over, but Disney doesn't want to sell its obscure IPs (Atlantis, Treasure Planet), because they don't care what's cool, they care about what's going to drive KH fans who are now parents, and kids who are old enough to play KH towards their fresher IPs.

PotC has what, five movies? Toy Story will have 4. Monsters Inc. has two? (maybe a third?) Tangled has a television series and maybe a straight to video film. BH6 has a movie and a manga. Frozen is getting a sequel. Yah, it's about advertising. But it's also KH and we're all going to play it whether we like that or not, because we're invested in the overall story, not the worlds.

2. Sure it's a unique lineup! You're taking some of Disney's biggest IPs right now, and dropping them into a video game that's going to sell MILLIONS. They may not be the most unique picks from our perspective, as more intelligent consumers, but from an executive's perspective, it's unique as hell. And it's going to bolster their IPs.

3. Kingdom Hearts, whether we want to admit it or not, has its roots in a last ditch attempt to make Square Enix some fucking money. FF had run its course at that point, and they were hurting really bad for cash. So, Disney and SQE happened to be in the same building (in Japan) and was literally conceived from a chance meeting in an elevator. In that meeting room, SQE admitted to Disney that they were looking for an established IP they could license to help push out a new product that had instant notoriety. It was going to be some contrived Mickey Mouse shindig, but Nomura stepped in and made it what it is.

Nomura has poured a lot into a series that was always meant to be a cash grab. I guarantee SQE and Disney refuse to see it as more than advertising, and we can't expect them to. Because that's the bottom line. I could probably talk for days about IP development (my mentor used to work at Hasbro from the late 80s till 2000). It's guys like Nomura who have garnered enough trust to do something rather risky, and get away with it. The problem is, long dev. time means less money, and I'm sure Nomura had to trade a few things to keep his credibility, and I'm sure that meant using worlds that Disney wanted explicitly marketed: Frozen, Tangled, and BH6.

As consumers, we should be willing to say "hey! this is not what we asked for," but we also have to understand that the dedicated fanbase are always the minority. It's always going to be about the sales, and they only way to sell the units after it's long meandering journey to KH3 is to use recognizability to its advantage.

So sure. You could judge the game before you play it. You could get mad about the uninspired world choices, but if Nomura can still tell a good story with what he was allowed to work with, then we should be excited and withhold our judgment till we have experienced the whole.

the red monster

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I think it's gonna be copy of final/master form from kh2 tbh

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m glad we have Disney worlds that actually fit with the main plot this time. The world choices in this game are inspired because they were decided based on what worked best for the story rather than just picking random Disney properties out of a hat. That randomness was fun in KH1 when it at least brought the villains and princesses together, but after that it just made the Disney content mostly filler in the other games.

Here’s my observations on how these worlds fit with the main plot and/or themes:

Olympus: Sora is training to regain the strength he lost in DDD.

Toy Box: Xehanort is studying how the toys form hearts, much like the Nobodies and Replicas do. It also brings in the concept of split worlds from DDD.

Monstropolis: Vanitas is using children’s screams to gain power for himself and the Unversed.

Corona: Not 100% clear what Marluxia’s goal is, but it ties into the Princesses of Heart plot. The world also fits with his flower motif, maybe even bringing up his relation to Strelitzia. It might even play on the parallel of Marluxia holding Namine captive like Mother Gothel does with Rapunzel.

Arendelle: The theme of a frozen heart was practically written in just so Kingdom Hearts could use it. We also have Larxene trying to push Elsa towards darkness and more Princess of Heart stuff.

The Caribbean: Luxord is looking for the black box, which seems to lead him to Davy Jones, a character who is essentially a Nobody in his own right.

San Fransokyo: This world ties into the KH theme of friends falling to darkness, including the parallel between OG Baymax and Aqua’s sacrifice and subsequent falls to darkness, considering Sora will attempt to save Aqua right after he and Hiro save Dark Baymax. Plus, the Bug Blox attacking the city tying into Re:Coded.

As for environmental diversity, you’d have to be pretty dense to think these aren’t diverse environments with a lot of creative potential.

I’d certainly love to see more worlds in addition to what we have, so I can see the argument for more worlds for more variety. But I certainly wouldn’t exchange any we have just for the sake of adding in a property that’s less popular because that somehow makes it better. Square Enix has been incredibly creative with the worlds they’ve chosen to give them the KH “outside of the box” flair despite the worlds being based on more popular franchises that make those choices even more high risk for Disney.

Darvandark

I'm sure I'm dragging a conversation back but this is bugging me. Do people not realize how much work goes into a single section of a game? Just look at the area in front of the mansion, the bricks have actual textures and you can see that some stones are not perfectly there. That's not a simple paint tool, that had to be personally designed. The ground gets saturated after watera is cast for as time, you can see clearly grass, bushes, and vines on the walls. This is just in what was once "room". Yes it's disappointing there's not more TT and while I'm not going to hide the fact that the "is it needed argument is at least a partial rationalization. It's also what every developer, writer, director, creative needs to do before their work can be presented.
Is this needed. Does this help tell the story. Would my very limited, expensive, and hum as n resources be better served elsewhere?
These are people making the games and this story is giving us actual reasons to be in these worlds, it's not a really thin excuse for sora to meet Mulan until the second visit, the enemies are actively a part of this story so why wouldn't they spend more time there? From what we can gather most of TT majir story encounters will be full cutscene which will work, we don't need to physically visit the usual as usual spot since just seeing the gang the again would be fantastic. While I would be sad about Radiant Garden and not seeing s clash between Lea and Saix there is a missed opportunity, but the Leon story is done. All we would really need to know is how well the restoration is going, but that's it, they're gone again, we got rid of the 1000 heartless and so on. If they brought back the world then they'd have to give some reason not to have the cave of remembrance or data battles since I really don't see a need for them. Sephiroth is done, that was confirmed so long ago I'm surprised he's still being looked for or even expected. Nomura has said whenever asked if he or other FF characters are going to be in that Sephiroths story is done, there is no need to fight him.

This turned into quite the rant but some of you guys need to realize the sheer scope of what you're asking for. We are getting a varied and beautiful and while some stuff is missing it is not the end of the world. With any game like this there will be disappointment but stop looking at the trees and enjoy the forest.

Awards
Someone posted 'tracks' from KH3,and there's a 'battle track' for Destiny Islands, but it's a remixed Trainer Battle Theme from Pokemon Sun and Moon. I laughed at the fake OST that person uploaded, as as soon as I saw that 'track' I knew it was fake.

Awards
Someone posted 'tracks' from KH3,and there's a 'battle track' for Destiny Islands, but it's a remixed Trainer Battle Theme from Pokemon Sun and Moon. I laughed at the fake OST that person uploaded, as as soon as I saw that 'track' I knew it was fake.
Was it SilvaGunner? Because if it is, that's nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back