• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III OST: Shimomura, Ishimoto

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
The main issue with the soundtrack is that it sounds more like a Greatest Hits compilation. I cannot recall, off the top of my head, any really great original songs. Most of the standouts are remixes of older tracks. To the point above, though, my opinion may change when I listen on headphones.

All of the Disney world tracks were amazing to me. I remember like 2 or 3 other unique boss themes I enjoyed but I haven't looked up their names yet or anything. Otherwise yes, the remixes were really the stand outs this game. I feel like that was partially to invoke nostalgia since its the end of the saga though.

LostArtist

Awards
I liked the new soundtrack, the remixed songs: distant from you, that Union cross moment, and all the other remixed songs that play throughout the different worlds.

And also the new ones. I thought it was so cool that the worlds had more than one field and battle theme. All the music from Corona, Arendelle, and Monstropolis sound so good. The final world song is so good. That one new song with dearly beloved in the background is so good too. And I loved the final battle soundtracks at scala. And this is after just one playthrough with no going back to previous worlds(cept twilight town)/or really exploring the worlds fully.

someone needs to set the factory on fire postgame
[video=youtube;SRjJBav7DOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjJBav7DOk[/video]

drew0512

Awards
What other tracks do you notice are distinctly Shimomura's work, and which ones are obviously Ishimoto's?

San Fransokyo's field theme (Day) and The Caribbean's battle theme are the perfect examples for Ishimoto's style.

Anyway, the only complaint I have is that it's hard to hear the music while playing. I've been listening to the tracks in the past month and without the distracting battle noises I think that the OST is as phenomenal as the previous ones. One big reason is that there are different composers, each with their personal style. Shimomura did a wonderful job with
Spoiler Spoiler Show
while Ishimoto perfectly captured San Fransokyo's essence. Sekito made the Gummiship sections a joy.

SerDuncan

San Fransokyo's field theme (Day) and The Caribbean's battle theme are the perfect examples for Ishimoto's style.

Anyway, the only complaint I have is that it's hard to hear the music while playing. I've been listening to the tracks in the past month and without the distracting battle noises I think that the OST is as phenomenal as the previous ones. One big reason is that there are different composers, each with their personal style. Shimomura did a wonderful job with
Spoiler Spoiler Show
while Ishimoto perfectly captured San Fransokyo's essence. Sekito made the Gummiship sections a joy.

Honestly I think that the Gummi Ship music might be my favorite OG pieces in this game. I'll echo what seigleeagle said early in that the compositions kinda blend together for me. If you played me any Disney track from any previous KH game, I gurantee I could tell you exactly what world it's from, in which game. But for this game, (and I tested this I'm not just blowing smoke out my ass) I could not place almost any music, original or remixed. They just didn't feel... specialized, I guess.

LostArtist

Awards
Honestly I think that the Gummi Ship music might be my favorite OG pieces in this game. I'll echo what seigleeagle said early in that the compositions kinda blend together for me. If you played me any Disney track from any previous KH game, I gurantee I could tell you exactly what world it's from, in which game. But for this game, (and I tested this I'm not just blowing smoke out my ass) I could not place almost any music, original or remixed. They just didn't feel... specialized, I guess.

I completely disagree with this.

SerDuncan

I completely disagree with this.

Awesome. :) Believe me, I know... next to NOTHING about music composition. Maybe there's even some recency bias here for me. No idea. All I know is that I find the orchestra to be very... samey. I mentioned earlier in the thread that sometimes I like that old chiptune quality, and I think that the new orchestrated tracks lose that... I dunno, bounce? That specialness?

If you disagree, then hey! We're individuals and we have different opinions. I'm glad you disagree and that you liked the soundtrack.

LostArtist

Awards
It kind of reminds me of a series I'm sure few here have heard of: Ace Attorney. The tracks in the first 4 (or 6 games, I guess) are made using the classic video game chiptune sounds. They're memorable, get stuck in your head, and really get you pumped up for the games. Once they made the jump to 3ds however, they switched to Orchestra soundtracks, and ever since then the music has lacked the same oomph, the same style. It's just not as memorable. That's how I feel about this game. Not a single track here can stand up to even lackluster tracks in the old games. I think part of it might also be the new composers. Maybe it's just me.

Awesome. :) Believe me, I know... next to NOTHING about music composition. Maybe there's even some recency bias here for me. No idea. All I know is that I find the orchestra to be very... samey. I mentioned earlier in the thread that sometimes I like that old chiptune quality, and I think that the new orchestrated tracks lose that... I dunno, bounce? That specialness?

If you disagree, then hey! We're individuals and we have different opinions. I'm glad you disagree and that you liked the soundtrack.

To me orchestrated tracks don't lose that bounce(or specialness). The mario galaxy games are filled with some of the greatest and most memorable video game songs to me (that don't all sound the same either), and both of their soundtracks are fully orchestrated.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I wonder if some people also find this soundtrack less memorable just because they really don't reuse themes nearly as often? It felt like almost every boss had its own theme, and the Disney world music was constantly changing as well, minus Toy Box.

I mean I loved a lot of the music and still forgot about a bunch of it till I went back and listened lol. I have personally had reasonable success placing where have the songs come from, but I just straight up love orchestrated music in general....I actually think the 1.5 and 2.5 version of KH1 and 2's soundtracks sound better. Especially 2. That soundtrack, while good, was one of the lower ones for me overall till they did that.

Back