• We have brought back Future of KINGDOM HEARTS as our main Kingdom Hearts section. Discuss any projects including Phase 2 developments, the rumored Disney Plus series, all TWEWY-related news, theories about the future of Kingdom Hearts, and any general topics in this section. For anything related to Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody, please discuss it in the KINGDOM HEARTS Memory of Melody section.
  • Although unrelated to Kingdom Hearts, we are aware that there might be fans of The Last of Us on our forums. We ask that you please keep all spoilers for The Last of Us 2 spoiler-tagged. Any untagged spoilers will result in a temporary ban from the site.

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS III Original Soundtrack releasing November 11, 2020!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xagzan

Awards
It's certainly a practice I've become accustomed to with Square. As it stands I'm withholding on FFVII: Remake's soundtrack with the intention of buying an OST Plus down the line. Even then, there's a possibility that some things may still be cut or retailer exclusive.

Just going by past procedures, anything strictly cutscene related has the highest chance of getting chopped.
Last time I remember them doing an OST Plus was friggin FF9. And that was, go figure, the cutscene music. Plus extra, unused tracks. Nothing cut iirc. Don't know if they've done others since. I've certainly never heard of retail exclusive tracks, that sounds awful.

There really is no logic to cutting cutscene cues though. The composers put just as much effort into those as anything else, what possible purpose does it serve to exclude them?

Rydgea

"contrary little shit"
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
  • News Hound
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
  • Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Last time I remember them doing an OST Plus was friggin FF9. And that was, go figure, the cutscene music. Plus extra, unused tracks. Nothing cut iirc. Don't know if they've done others since. I've certainly never heard of retail exclusive tracks, that sounds awful.

There really is no logic to cutting cutscene cues though. The composers put just as much effort into those as anything else, what possible purpose does it serve to exclude them?
In name only XIII was the last I recall receiving an OST Plus, and that was only to add tracks that had made it into official trailers, but was stuff that wasn't used in game, etc.

XV naturally received additional soundtracks for the additional games, DLC, etc.

VII:R's has straight omitted some of my favorite in-game tracks.

I would venture to say the cutscene score takes MORE time and care, because you have to be aware of the dialouge, the shifts in tone as the plot progresses; it ebbs and flows as the scene dictates, rather than having a static track (say, the field theme) swath over everything.

Xagzan

Awards
In name only XIII was the last I recall receiving an OST Plus, and that was only to add tracks that had made it into official trailers, but was stuff that wasn't used in game, etc.

XV naturally received additional soundtracks for the additional games, DLC, etc.

VII:R's has straight omitted some of my favorite in-game tracks.

I would venture to say the cutscene score takes MORE time and care, because you have to be aware of the dialouge, the shifts in tone as the plot progresses; it ebbs and flows as the scene dictates, rather than having a static track (say, the field theme) swath over everything.
Yes, like Cosmo Canyon, that epic choral Those Chosen by the Planet, the chapter 14 resolution scene themes, off the top of my head. So I'm a little concerned for KH3. If they plan to release subsequent albums, then of course the omissions are more understandable. But if they never do, then it just makes no sense.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
  • Ninja'd
  • In the Grid
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • Fairest of them All
  • Jiminy's Journal
It is called the Kingdom Hearts 3 Original Soundtrack 😅
Actually it's not, the full title is "KINGDOM HEARTS - III, II.8, Unchained χ & Union χ [Cross] - Original Soundtrack". But nobody can really be bothered to type the whole thing out every time lol