• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Editorial ► KINGDOM HEARTS III First Impressions Review (Spoiler Free)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Neo_

Awards
I said this another thread, but the Square/Disney collab seems weirder than ever now (when it wasn't even weird in the first place because KH1's story was at least logical); KH3 started awesome, made sense and was thrilling until Xigbar came along and was like "hearts... darkness... light" with Donald, Goofy and Herc standing there like "How tf did we even get involved in this nonsense?". It's so jarring, and I hate that aspect of the game. It does not mesh well at all with the Disney aspect. I know that's why a lot of you here, but in my opinion it's horrendous writing and a complete misunderstanding of brand recognition.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
omg, please elaborate this to me because I was wondering what the hell all those figures are for.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
omg, please elaborate this to me because I was wondering what the hell all those figures are for.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

furusatoe

I’m just finishing up Toy Box and the biggest impression I have so far is how much better the writing/pacing is in this game compared to the others. I really like how they’ve tied threads of the original story into the Disney worlds - it actually makes them feel significant for once, rather than something you have to push through just to move on to the “real” story.

Also, I’ve heard people complain that there is “no story” until endgame and I’m like, uhhh, I’ve been fed original story at every world and in-between so far. Mickey/Riku, Kairi/Axel, Ienzo, Ansem/Xemnas . . . all of them are featured in cutscenes very early to advance the plot.

The worlds are gorgeous, and I’m quite happy that even though they are big they don’t feel oppressively big/lifeless like they did in 3D.

If I have any criticisms so far, it’s that the gameplay is pretty busy. I think situation commands activate way too quickly and frequently - it’s just mayhem between the keyblade transformations, party links, attraction flows, flowmotion, and grand magic. I don’t have to think a ton in battle, as it seems to boil down to: smack enemies a few times to get situation commands and ride them from there (and I’m playing on Proud, btw). I appreciate that they’re trying to think of new ways to battle beyond the x button - something the developers have been trying to address in every game after KH1 - but the most memorable and satisfying battles I’ve had in the KH series have come from needing to learn enemy attack patterns and time my offense/defense well. That’s what made Lingering Will, Zodiac Phantom Aqua, Roxas, Data Org, Hades Cup, and the Cavern of Remembrance hallway so good. I’m hoping we get a few of those battles in this game, and it would be even better if some of them were story-mode battles (like Roxas). The boss fights so far have been flashy, but low on skill.

Also, as someone who prefers the inverted control stick setup, I’m struggling to find an optimal controller setup. When you move into the “rectical” view, such as when operating the phone camera, shotlocks, or first-person attraction flows, I prefer to use the standard control stick for shotlocks but the inverted control stick for everything else. Unfortunately, I can’t do that, so I either have to live with my shotlock feeling awkward or my other “rectical view” situations feeling awkward. Sigh...

But overall I’m happy with the game so far and excited to see where it goes.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Yeah, this game is my favourite entry in the franchise. It really shows that Disney and Pixar were directly involved with the Disney worlds, and the method of exposition is really smart between Gummi ship travels and the original worlds.

Lol, did anyone notice that Phil was silent the whole time and only made these weird facial expressions? Seems like they didn’t even want to settle with the Danny Devito impersonator in KH3, unlike in 1 and 2.

If you think that was bad, two original characters were not voiced in this game. I know it's probably for budgeting reasons, but I find that really insulting and out of character for the both of them.

And even with the more minor cast like Philocetes, why make him mute? That's not natural to his characters, shouldn't he be talking about making Sora, Donald and Goofy real heroes? Matter of fact, the supporting cast of Hercules was awful in terms of engagement. Meg doesn't have her sass or many opportunities to talk, and Olympus itself isn't in cutscenes for very long.

Outside of that gripe, I love this game. Also, Verum Rex is totally Nomura's revenge against Tabata for Final Fantasy XIII.

I said this another thread, but the Square/Disney collab seems weirder than ever now (when it wasn't even weird in the first place because KH1's story was at least logical); KH3 started awesome, made sense and was thrilling until Xigbar came along and was like "hearts... darkness... light" with Donald, Goofy and Herc standing there like "How tf did we even get involved in this nonsense?". It's so jarring, and I hate that aspect of the game. It does not mesh well at all with the Disney aspect. I know that's why a lot of you here, but in my opinion it's horrendous writing and a complete misunderstanding of brand recognition.

You can't be serious! I fricking loved it when Xigbar appeared. He basically took the mick out of Hercules for being a Demi-god for his success, which is true in context.

Matter of fact, Organization XIII interacting with the Disney cast always tend to be my favourite parts.

DangerNoodle

Awards

If you haven’t visited twilight town for the first time early in the game, dont open. Not really a spoiler, but still
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Neo_

Awards
Wrapped up Olympus, and so unbelievably stoked that the town is flooded with NPC's once you revisit, and pretty much the entire world is reshaped (well Thebes at least), so I must ask (feel free to use spoiler tags): how do the rest of the worlds compare in this way? Does Andy's room fill up with some of the toys that were kidnapped? It would be really weird if they couldn't handle putting in like five more Toy Story characters when they reconstructed Thebes and filled it with citizens. How are the side quests upon returning? Like getting the Hercules figures; is there a lot of stuff like that? What can you do when you revisit a completed Galaxy Toys?

Does the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor fill up with employees? I'm guessing the answer to all these questions is no, and that Olympus for some reason is a rare exception, though I would love to hear otherwise.

And Phil's JP voice actor died, so I guess the muted him out of respect, which couldn't be more atypical of the character. My friend texted me this, and it must've been voice to text because it read "why didn't danny devotion voice filled?" lmao.

If I have any criticisms so far, it’s that the gameplay is pretty busy. I think situation commands activate way too quickly and frequently - it’s just mayhem between the keyblade transformations, party links, attraction flows, flowmotion, and grand magic. I don’t have to think a ton in battle, as it seems to boil down to: smack enemies a few times to get situation commands and ride them from there (and I’m playing on Proud, btw). I appreciate that they’re trying to think of new ways to battle beyond the x button - something the developers have been trying to address in every game after KH1 - but the most memorable and satisfying battles I’ve had in the KH series have come from needing to learn enemy attack patterns and time my offense/defense well. That’s what made Lingering Will, Zodiac Phantom Aqua, Roxas, Data Org, Hades Cup, and the Cavern of Remembrance hallway so good. I’m hoping we get a few of those battles in this game, and it would be even better if some of them were story-mode battles (like Roxas). The boss fights so far have been flashy, but low on skill.
lol, even on Proud the entire game is like activate limit, ground pound, throw Goofy into the ground, hop on the Buzz Lightyear ride (those should've been unlocked btw) lol.

Edit: Also, how are you guys pacing yourselves? Taking your time, or plowing through it?

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Wrapped up Olympus, and so unbelievably stoked that the town is flooded with NPC's once you revisit, and pretty much the entire world is reshaped (well Thebes at least), so I must ask (feel free to use spoiler tags): how do the rest of the worlds compare in this way? Does Andy's room fill up with some of the toys that were kidnapped? It would be really weird if they couldn't handle putting in like five more Toy Story characters when they reconstructed Thebes and filled it with citizens. How are the side quests upon returning? Like getting the Hercules figures; is there a lot of stuff like that? What can you do when you revisit a completed Galaxy Toys?

I don't understand, you have the game yet you still ask questions that are going to be answered in the game itself? Dude, you do not need to know the answer to everything beforehand. Just experience it for yourself.

Neo_

Awards
I don't understand, you have the game yet you still ask questions that are going to be answered in the game itself? Dude, you do not need to know the answer to everything beforehand. Just experience it for yourself.
It's gonna be a while before I get that far. I'm not one of these people that can afford to sit at home and no-life KH3.

And it's my right to know something beforehand. It's a video game dude. smh

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
As someone who's been a fan from the beginning... KH3 is so far shaping up to be my favorite entry, and my favorite was previously KH2. (Not even Final Mix+ even though it's great, my favorite was for a long time vanilla KH2) It just feels like a natural progression of a numbered title. I don't have any issues so far with the game at all.

Axel92

Awards
I'm enjoying the game a lot, there is a lot of attention to details, The atmosphere is quite fan and the interaction between SDG are amazing (even their cutscenes)
I love the "but we met them recently" and Sora "yeah, but it seems it is passed a lot of time" referencing the long release process!

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Lol, did anyone notice that Phil was silent the whole time and only made these weird facial expressions? Seems like they didn’t even want to settle with the Danny Devito impersonator in KH3, unlike in 1 and 2.

*raises hand* Playing the first couple of worlds, it's interesting to hear about characters brought up in conversation that are off-screen (and may not have a physical, tangible presence in game), but this instance is almost opposite. Phil is there, glaringly silent. It felt a little odd, especially considering Phil is known for his vocal interjections. It's not a huge deal, though.

I've loved what I've played so far. The amount of combat intricacy and minigames having just scratched its surface is incredible.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
It's gonna be a while before I get that far. I'm not one of these people that can afford to sit at home and no-life KH3.

And it's my right to know something beforehand. It's a video game dude. smh

The spoiler section exists for a reason. Why do you want answers that teeter on the edge of being spoilers in a non-spoiler section? Makes no sense to me.

Neo_

Awards
The spoiler section exists for a reason. Why do you want answers that teeter on the edge of being spoilers in a non-spoiler section? Makes no sense to me.
Because the game is out, it's hardly a spoiler and we have spoiler tags, but you guys are too damn precious about a game; I'll gladly go elsewhere.

furusatoe

Lea/Axel came off as a bit of a creeper in his intro scene, no? I mean, I get *why*, but it's still kinda creepy lol.

Laurel

Awards
Currently Tangled is my favorite world in terms of character interactions and engaging with the environment.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

furusatoe

I am surprised by how much Re:coded is factoring into the early story. I nearly skipped the cutscene movie when I played through the collection last month. Glad I stuck with it. Suddenly the lore of data worlds seems like it's going to be relevant to what's ahead (which I don't know, and this is all so early I don't think it's a spoiler).

furusatoe

This is a small thing, but does anyone else wish they had taken the time to re-animate flashback scenes? It's just weird to me how they just splice in PS2 cutscenes into a PS4 game. Of course, this is not the first time this has happened: they did this in 0.2 as well. I would have loved to see some of these old scenes redone on the PS4 engine.

Neo_

Awards
This is a small thing, but does anyone else wish they had taken the time to re-animate flashback scenes? It's just weird to me how they just splice in PS2 cutscenes into a PS4 game. Of course, this is not the first time this has happened: they did this in 0.2 as well. I would have loved to see some of these old scenes redone on the PS4 engine.
Yes; it's incredibly jarring.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Back