• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 FCP Community Feedback

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
Yeah... I know what you're saying. Those BBS secret bosses are just a chore. The KH2 secret bosses were all, well fun. But at the same time the command deck is more fun for normal fights. It doesn't have to have crazy abilities in it like BBS had but... something.

Precursor Mar

Alright, so I’ve finally gotten through KH3 Ground Zeroes here. And man, was I not prepared for what I was about to experience, I’ll tell you what.

Quick disclaimer: This is based on the vanilla version of the game. I’ll later make an addendum concerning the 1.02 patch.

But enough with the prelude, here’s the bottom line:

This demo... ...blows. With diddlying aplomb.

Remember when all those 0.2 previews started coming out and I along with others pointed out the physics and gameplay for the clunky and unpolished mess it would self-evidently end up being, only to be regaled with comments like “People who’ve played it say it’s good! So shut up!”? Well move over Nostradamus, did I not freaking call it?

If you thought BBS felt like a bootleg KH1. Then ladies and gentlemen, Osaka Team presents: Bootleg KH2!

Aqua controls like complete ass. Despite this running on an entirely different engine, Osaka for some baffling reason has copied and pasted the physics from BBS onto this game. Resulting on the same floaty movement and combat, utterly lacking in any amount of flow whatsoever. The bane of this game’s existence is undoubtedly the absurd amount of recovery frames on EVERYTHING. I hope you like having a 5-night stay with all of Aqua’s attacks, because until the very last frame of that animation is complete, your controller ceases to function. I feel the need to mash buttons because the game drops my inputs. And the double jump and air dash are basically impractical for anything except clumsily moving the environment; hell, sometimes the game will just drop my double jump for no reason. This game eats more inputs than Jim Sterling at a shit-eating contest.

I had already suspected that combo modifiers would be absent based on the last few trailers, and the confirmation still sends my nuts into orbit. But turns out Osaka was just reeling back their one-inch dongs, ramming them in with the lack of any and all equippable abilities. What in waterboarding Christ? What, did Todd Howard pay you guys a visit during development? But hey, at least you can put cat ears on Aqua. Osaka, if I wanted to play dress up, I’m 2 minutes away from downloading a Barbie game on my phone. Either put stats on that shit or put it down like GameTrailersdotcom.

And the enemies! This game features some of the absolute worst enemy design you will EVER have the misfortune to behold. PS1 era design flaws like enemies that attack you from off-screen and attack animations with half a second of buttpounding windup. With special mentions going to the total failure of a final boss. Untelegraphed attacks, blocking your field of view and stunlocking you for 5 hours because “durr wat is gaem desin?”. The retardation is strong with this trepidatious turd.

And finally, there’s Critical Mode. It’s at this point that Osaka’s retardation devolves into a full-blown brain aneurysm. A laundry list of the laziest instances of artificial difficulty in recent memory. No Combo Master, no Second Chance, no drops, chip damage output, and more bafflingly, almost no magic. Bitch, I’m playing as a mage! A MAGE! My MP bar should be longer than my health bar. So why, after about 3 casts, is my rod more flaccid than Lance Bass in a titty bar? To all those still decrying the myriad of mechanics that are going to be in KH3, choke on this game's Critical for a beat and have fun boring yourself to sleep with all that physical combo spam. And to think people in this very forum have somehow actually deluded themselves into believing that any of this equates to genuine difficulty, probably in the same breath they use to argue that Demon Tide is a good boss fight. If you think any of the above is indicative of good game design, yeah, go ahead and hold yourself back a grade or six.

Sure, if you compare this game to Osaka’s previous offerings it comes out smelling like tulips, but try and find me something that doesn’t. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

There. Rant over.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't necessarily share all the pessimism, I kinda liked the game overall, but I agree on many points.

I completely forgot to mention the bit about enemies attacking you off-screen: and seriously, the fire enemies are the bane of existence. My god they're awful and turn almost every Critical encounter in a tedious hit and run (at least they made it so the enemies keep the damage when they despawn) with their bullsh*t invincibile attack.

Muke

whatever
Awards
omg someone else who sees how bad designed the devil's wave is
am i in heaven??

Precursor Mar

Alright, so while I'm here, quick side question.

Can you not adjust the screen size like in the previous collections? Each title screen seems to change it to a different aspect ratio for some reason.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
omg someone else who sees how bad designed the devil's wave is
am i in heaven??
I really liked the Devil's Wave at first, but in retrospect I think that was just because I found it easy to play touch n' go with it. The stunlock in phase 1 was pretty terrible though. I definitely see where they made some poor design choices, and I prefer to work with an established pattern versus sudden unforgiving aggro.

I didn't like the way the camera in 0.2 closed in every time enemies appeared in the environment. I understand the interest in adding some stylistic flare but it was just distracting and compounded the extant issues with limited visibility. Also wasn't a fan of how Aqua would point out the gears or features of the environment in Castle Town; in the first place because I actually enjoy exploring and working through puzzles, secondly because once again the camera would rear in to remind me how much of a disservice it's always doing, and lastly because the mechanic never returns throughout the rest of the game so I'm left wondering why they even introduced it in the first place.

I thought Aqua's "dash" was too fast and an unnecessary increase from her running motion. Cartwheeling and air dashing are more effective at closing long distances anyway, and as a result I never once used the blizzard rail after achieving its related objective because there was never any good reason to do so. Plus as rawpower pointed out a page or so ago, she becomes more difficult to control in full tilt.

None of these things make a huge difference to me, but collectively with other issues mentioned here I think they point to an unfortunate lack of precision. But I definitely enjoyed playing 0.2 on the whole and consider it a positive experience. It was consistently more fun and challenging than BBS or DDD.

One thing I don't think I could bear to see return, though: those awful AMV tier swiping credit scenes for both 0.2 and Back Cover. Just why? They didn't even include new content, just rehashes of the same material from the game immediately preceding them. Whatever happened to our classy low-res epilogues boxed in on the left corner, or Disney characters standing about acting cute and modeling for us? :(

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
And the enemies! This game features some of the absolute worst enemy design you will EVER have the misfortune to behold. PS1 era design flaws like enemies that attack you from off-screen and attack animations with half a second of buttpounding windup. With special mentions going to the total failure of a final boss. Untelegraphed attacks, blocking your field of view and stunlocking you for 5 hours because “durr wat is gaem desin?”. The retardation is strong with this trepidatious turd.

Agreed there.
My least favorite enemies of all were the neoshadows to be honest. They just fucking dash at you for super-damage out of nowhere, you can't expect it, can't predict it. Most of the other regular enemies at least somehow let you know that they're gonna fuck you any second now.

no drops, chip damage output, and more bafflingly, almost no magic.

First off I thought the no drops thing was a bug or glitch, until I realized they're serious about that. As for magic - I don't get it either. Especially since on easy, you can cast like seven or eight firaga spells in a row.

And to think people in this very forum have somehow actually deluded themselves into believing that any of this equates to genuine difficulty, probably in the same breath they use to argue that Demon Tide is a good boss fight.

I mean, to each their own (I absolutely detested the final boss fight), but I also still don't understand how one can speak of actual difficulty if a boss doesn't have a stunnable phase or a real pattern and instead just does what it likes to do and you're stuck between attacking and dodging for your life.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
One thing I don't think I could bear to see return, though: those awful AMV tier swiping credit scenes for both 0.2 and Back Cover. Just why? They didn't even include new content, just rehashes of the same material from the game immediately preceding them. Whatever happened to our classy low-res epilogues boxed in on the left corner, or Disney characters standing about acting cute and modeling for us? :(

They fell in love with those after a while (Days, at least the one from the 1.5, if memory serves me correctly) and never let them go.
Kinda like Team Osaka.
And I'm sad with both cases.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
If you stand on the edge of the battlefield when Demon Tide burrows under the ground, you can easily anticipate to block them and avoid stunlocks.

I can agree Neoshadows are pretty difficult to dodge especially if there's more than one but it's best to walk away or wait to block. Cast Blizzaga/Thundaga if there's too many.

Magic is really meant to use sparingly in Critical such as:
- Attack Flame Core a few times (do not finish your attack combo) before you cast Blizzaga to cancel their flame invincibility. Perform the combo again and they will be defeated.
- Using Thundaga to cancel Phantom Aqua's Dark Blizzaja.
- After the few Firagas, you continue the rest with physical combos and you can still cast Firaja.
- Don't use the last bit of MP for other magic that isn't Curaga if you're in a pinch.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
They fell in love with those after a while (Days, at least the one from the 1.5, if memory serves me correctly) and never let them go.
Kinda like Team Osaka.
And I'm sad with both cases.
I don't know how I never noticed they used this for Days HD. Must have never payed attention to the credits. I guess I can't argue a lack of consistency, then... But it's so crappy. :<

I can agree Neoshadows are pretty difficult to dodge especially if there's more than one but it's best to walk away or wait to block.
I never had much of a problem blocking Neoshadows, they just take some patience. Not a whole lot of strategy involved, though.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I love the new style of the credits. To me, the recapping perfectly fits with the tone of those games / cinematics and the way it just works with the music thrills me. I can see a mash up of that and the epilogue style from KH1/2 (during the longer credits).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Alright, so while I'm here, quick side question.

Can you not adjust the screen size like in the previous collections? Each title screen seems to change it to a different aspect ratio for some reason.

It is an issue with overscan on TVs. It really needs to be patched tbh. FFXV had the same issue and they patched it eventually. They made KH3D and BC with overscan in mind but forgot to auto scale for 0.2. It needs to auto-scale or have a screen fit option. :\

Muke

whatever
Awards
When do you guys think will we be able to record the blocked scenes aka the last world? Forgot its English name

Precursor Mar

Also wasn't a fan of how Aqua would point out the gears or features of the environment in Castle Town; in the first place because I actually enjoy exploring and working through puzzles, secondly because once again the camera would rear in to remind me how much of a disservice it's always doing, and lastly because the mechanic never returns throughout the rest of the game so I'm left wondering why they even introduced it in the first place.

I was gonna mention this in my rant but it's already pretty long.
It's hilarious to see people compare this game to Dark Souls when Osaka can't even trust the player for 5 seconds before flat-out telling them where all the objectives are.

Agreed there.
My least favorite enemies of all were the neoshadows to be honest. They just diddlying dash at you for super-damage out of nowhere, you can't expect it, can't predict it. Most of the other regular enemies at least somehow let you know that they're gonna diddly you any second now.

Neoshadows are easily the worst enemy when it comes to mob fights. You have to focus on them almost exclusively and that lunge attack sets the record for fastest time from 0 to "diddly you".

I mean, to each their own (I absolutely detested the final boss fight), but I also still don't understand how one can speak of actual difficulty if a boss doesn't have a stunnable phase or a real pattern and instead just does what it likes to do and you're stuck between attacking and dodging for your life.

Vanilla 0.2's horrid ending lag especially made this fight even worse. You weren't allowed to dodge or guard in time because you'd be stuck in another animation for a decade.
And anyone who defends it's atrocious DM should never be taken seriously ever again.

If you stand on the edge of the battlefield when Demon Tide burrows under the ground, you can easily anticipate to block them and avoid stunlocks.

It can still stunlock you when you're attacking and it randomly activates it's hitbox or when it farts shadows at you. If this game was actually well designed like KH2 then Aqua would get knocked back at a certain point so the player could recover.

Magic is really meant to use sparingly in Critical such as:
- Attack Flame Core a few times (do not finish your attack combo) before you cast Blizzaga to cancel their flame invincibility. Perform the combo again and they will be defeated.
- Using Thundaga to cancel Phantom Aqua's Dark Blizzaja.
- After the few Firagas, you continue the rest with physical combos and you can still cast Firaja.
- Don't use the last bit of MP for other magic that isn't Curaga if you're in a pinch.

Which wouldn't be such a problem if:
A) Magic wasn't the best part of the game.
B) Aqua had a myriad of other abilities at here disposal.

Nerfing magic does nothing but bring the game down.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Well, finished my 3D playthrough today and I really enjoyed it. The game looked stunning in 60fps and it actually makes look forward to having to play KH1, COM, KH2, and BBS all over again when 1.5 + 2.5 come out(not really).

Unfortunately this was the first time I played 3D with the "Osaka bosses suck" goggles on and for bosses with enemies in your same weight class, yeah they do. Almost all of Rinzler, Xemnas, and Young Xehanort battles resort to just blocking and countering with almost no boss staggering whatsoever. I know I'm not saying anything new here but it's just the first time I experienced it personally. I hadn't done a 3D playthrough since 2014.

Precursor Mar

Patch 1.02 thoughts time, kiddies. (Yes, I know everyone’s pretty much over 0.2 at this point, but screw you, I’ll do what I want.)

And- Wait… Did… Osaka actually improve their game? Osaka Team? The barons of banality. The impetus of ineptitude. Fixing shit? What- Am I in bizarro world?

This patch was a godsend. Turning the backwards bootleg buttdiddlying that was the vanilla version into… Okay so it’s still bootleg KH2, but at least it’s a more enjoyable iteration.

Frame-data has been tweaked so performing an action is no longer the equivalent of choosing a freaking career path. Attacks and guards come out faster so you can properly react to incoming attacks. You can act out of different animations which improves the flow in battle. It still feels clunky because it’s BBS, but hey, it’s something.

Using magic is a bit better since you now have an additional cast, but it only gets good once you beat Phantom Aqua.

And oh god, Demon Tower actually telegraphs its attacks! Buuuuut it’s still a really boring fight because it only has like 2 attacks.

Overall a solid patch. All changes were good.

Alright since I already wore the base game like a baseball glove in my previous rant, I’ll now list all the improvements I’d like to see in case a mythical patch 1.03 were to materialize.
Actually, I’m going to drop any and all pretense of realistic expectations and just flat-out say everything that needs to be changed.

- Thrash the BBS physics. Pronto. This whole start-n-stop thing with combos (especially air combos) feels bad. I want the combo flow and momentum from KH1&2 back.
- Mobs are still a serious problem. Enemy AI has to be tweaked so either they can’t attack from off-screen, become less aggressive when off-screen, or constantly move to where the camera is generally looking at.
- Demon Tide was bafflingly spared from the telegraph nerf. And it can still randomly stun-lock you. Fix it.
- Critical Mode is still unplayable trash and I refuse to touch it until Second Chance and Combo Master are enabled.
- Platforming is so bad. Like, Sonic 06 bad. Guessing whether or not Aqua will grab onto a ledge could be a game all by itself. And air sliding needs to be rebuilt completely. My suggestion is to shamelessly steal the wonderful dash from Nier Automata. Also, you should be able to double jump immediately after your normal jump, as well as after an attack (if you haven’t used it yet).
- Let us immediately jump or attack out of auto-platforming sections (jumping through spires or sliding down a slope).
- You should be able to move freely while casting magic instead of being locked into whatever direction you were going. Like how it was with Lion Sora in KH2.
- What the hell is up with Counter Blast? It shows up whenever it wants. It seems to consistently activate against boss attacks, but with regular enemies it’s anyone’s guess.
- Get rid of that dumb dazed status effect
- The ice trail left by Blizzaga should work on slopes. Right now it’s utterly useless. You can tell whoever programmed it into the game had no contact with the level designers.
- Let us change shortcut menus with L2, since the button isn’t used for anything.

And while I have you on the line, Osaka; THIS:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

…is not an options menu. Not in an action game and not in the year 20-goddamn-17. You wanna see how it’s done?
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Now THIS is a diddlying options menu. Custom controls, camera distance from character, directional orientation. All that and a based waifu to boot.

TL;DR: Plagiarize Nier Automata to completion and I will blow you from dusk ‘till dawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I am bit late with this, but I hope that the destruction that was caused to the surroundings during the cutscenes of Back Cover will be a thing in KH3. I think the scenes, especially battle ones had more impact that way. Aced felt more dangerous when he slammed his Keyblade on to the ground, and smoke and all sort of debris and chunks of rocks flew into the air.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I want to at least mention how sad the late blocking of Aqua made me feel, it felt slow and made me get countless hits just because the animation/move started way some time after I pressed square to block accordingly to enemy moves. Wtf. This thing alone made me NOT want to re-do it on Critical, not even mention get all the objectives.
0.2 was stunningly beautiful visually and the music was extraordinary, but as for combat, DARN THE LATE BLOCK, Barrier whatevs

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Everything wound up being just a lil slower than it should have been. I don't know if the slight delay is attributed to the graphics or more complex animations, but visual fidelity MUST always be sacrificed for a better gaming experience, and there is no case you could make for the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back