• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance in the next HD collection?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DDD in the Next Collection?

• It won't be in the next collection

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • A movie version of the plot will be included, like Days in KH 1.5

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • The full game will be included

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • It will be in KH 3.5 HD remix alongisde Birth by Sleep Volume 2!!

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yessir_23

Awards
This has been briefly discussed in another topic, but I feel it deserves more speculation here.
We can quite confidently speculate that KH 2.5 HD Remix with include the final mixes of KH2 and Birth by Sleep, and maybe a re:Coded movie a la Days in 1.5. What's less clear is what form, if any, will KHDDD be in the next collection? It's quite a new game, but also important to the story.
Let me know what you think and why.

Personally I wouldn't like to see a film version, because unlike KH Days it's a full KH game worthy of being ported to the PS3 in it's entirety. Also, I'm sure Square Enix would want a new game to get as large an audience as possible, especially since they likely consider it the best gameplay system yet.

Last edited:

State

Awards
A movie version of the plot will be included, like Days in KH 1.5
This is the one that convinces me the most and the position I assume and incline towards. The game was just recently released MONTHS ago in JP, NA, EU and AU, so there wouldn't be any need to re-release it. Besides that, KH3D's gameplay was SPECIFICALLY built for the 3DS, meaning that adapting them to the PS3 would decay its quality and gimmick. With all this in mind, it would make sense to make the game a movie version, like you said. If it doesn't have enough time when adding all the cutscenes, then they can also include Re: coded as a plethora of cutscenes, and it would make sense, seeing as how they BOTH take place after KH2, which should be included in KH HD 2.5.

Sorarocks93

Awards
I don't think it will be a movie version. Like you said, Nomura really has hope for this system and he also wants to include it in KH3.

I don't there will be a collection called 3.5 cause well everything is before 3 so it doesn't make sense to call it 3.5. Most likely it will be called 0.5.

Alpha Sonix

Like others, I agree that DDD will probably be cutscenes only though I would definitely love if it was a full game. I just couldn't see how they would change the touch screen functionality of the game without changing or even taking out the reality shifts and dream eater mini games entirely and even if they changed them, I don't think they would be as fun as the ones on the 3DS. Other than that I don't really see a problem with porting gameplay and the whole release issue isn't much of a worry if they want to get all the games out to the PS3.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Like Seraph and Alpha Sonix pointed out, the main issue with DDD is that much of the gameplay and the whole battle system of DDD was built with the functionality of the 3DS in mind, that's why Nomura and his team wanted DDD to be on the 3DS. So if anything, DDD is even harder to port to the PS3 than Days and Re: Coded would be (who use the DS exclusive features far less than DDD).

I suspect that, if DDD is included it will be a bunch of high defnition cutscenes like Days as well.

This isn't so far-fetched also when one keeps in mind that story-wise, Re: Coded isn't that long or big on the plate so unlike Days you won't get over two hours of cutscenes out of Re: Coded.
In terms of sheer story-content Re: Coded is probably the shortest game and while DDDs story is very impacting and important, content-wise it is still less than KH 1, 2 or BBS have.
So making both games cutscene-only would be a logical step, furthermore with the fact that then all Nintendo-titles of the KH series would have gotten the same treatment for PS3.

Yessir_23

Awards
Now that you all mention how much of DDD's combat is based around the stylus, it would be kind of hard to port...
However, Square Enix want the HD remixes to include the definitive versions of each game, right? If DDD was only represented by cutscenes, that would really undermine all the work they put into the gameplay, when it is supposed to be the best of any KH game. It would be like representing BBS with only cutscenes.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
They mean "definitive" in terms of story, not gameplay. The Final Mixes (especially KH 2) include some very important story parts that are part of the definitive canon of the series.

That these aren't available outside of Japan is also one of the reasons why some people find the KH story so hard to understand, some parts are just missing and that's what they want to remedy in the HD Collections.

The question is therefore not if including DDD playable is "undermining" their work on the gameplay, but if it is truly necessary for the sake of telling the story.
Another point one has to keep in mind is that if it is rentable time-wise to go the extra mile and bring DDD over to PS3.
You have to keep in mind that porting over BBS, however "easy" it may be, still costs time and according to Nomura only two people are working on the HD remasters in terms of programming.
Bringing over DDD too may therefore result in an unreasonably long development time for a HD collection.

Vəntus

Awards
Website
the-gapra-whitewood.tumblr.com
I am hoping they eventually include DDD as a full blown HD game, if not, c'est la vie and include the cutscenes. I know it might be too much, and how the gameplay is extremely dependent on the stylus but it can always be changed, but I'm not getting my hopes too high so that I don't expect a letdown.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Remember how Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy was just released this summer for the 3DS and then it was suddenly ported to the iOS some days ago?

If Square-Enix can do that with a 3DS game, I'm sure they wouldn't mind doing the same maybe two years later, when 2.5 HD ReMIX is speculated to release. The only problem would be managing the touch-screen controls, which shouldn't be too hard to tweak for the PS3 in one way or another.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
maybe two years later, when 2.5 HD ReMIX is speculated to release.
What the shib, some two years!? There's no reason why it should take that long. That'd be pathetic and I'd be extremely disappointed.

DDD as cutscenes only on 2.5 is what I say. Can't see it being anything other than that.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
What the shib, some two years!? There's no reason why it should take that long. That'd be pathetic and I'd be extremely disappointed.
Well, 1.5 will be released next year, March 14th 2013. Then they have to get started on 2.5 which will take a while.

If I remember correctly, 1.5 has been in development since before FFXHD was announced, which was what? 2010? 2011?

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
i dont think it will be seeing that the game is fairly new... unless they plan on releasing kh3 some time in late 2016 (i hope not....)
the next HD remix after 1.5 will most likely include kh2 bbs and RE: coded as cut scenes.

Alpha Sonix

I know Re: Coded won't be as nearly as hard to work on in terms of remastering cutscenes but is there really a point? There really are only two pivotal scenes in Re:Coded and the rest could easily be explained in a memoirs section like in DDD so I honestly can't see them spending much time bothering with Re:Coded since I don't think it's suitable to movie style cutscenes like 358/2 Days is.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
If I remember correctly, 1.5 has been in development since before FFXHD was announced, which was what? 2010? 2011?

September 2011 is when FFXHD was announced. So I'd imagine that it was maybe sometime early 2011 that 1.5 started to be developed, which, if I remember correctly, is also when Nomura said they were doing tests with HD in some interview.

A large part of 1.5's development was the programmers relearning the software though, so I'd imagine that 2.5 would require less of the early effort that 1.5 needed.

sdr08

does the collection count as our one game per year? if so, 2.5 will probably be released in 2014 which DDD will be 2 years old by then, so its possible they can get DDD done with gameplay; but I wouldn't hold my breath

Energy

The game is already in HD not in image quality but in graphics it is, so why would they need to. it will be Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth by Sleep and re-coded cutscenes, I really want BbS remade on console though, I cant wait for 2.5 remix! also since Kingdom Hearts 2 is my favorite kh game and probs my favorite game of all time!! (discluding some of the disney worlds like that under the water one with the singing shit..) :( :( i was like WTF?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
does the collection count as our one game per year? if so, 2.5 will probably be released in 2014 which DDD will be 2 years old by then, so its possible they can get DDD done with gameplay; but I wouldn't hold my breath
Most likely late 2014(if the PC game isn't out that year as well, or they both are released).

Besides, people have used examples such as God of War III, a game released in 2010 making it on the HD collection, in 2012.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Also there's gonna be 3.5 remix? o.0 when KH3 isnt even out yet.
No? The only one confirmed is 1.5, with 2.5 surely to follow, thanks to Nomura saying it would be unusual for there not to be a 2.5

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The game is already in HD not in image quality but in graphics it is, so why would they need to.

HD image quality = HD graphics quality

???

If you mean the models, they can be cleaned up regardless. They did a few fixes on Sora and Riku's face in KH3D. KHII has some funky lip thing going on so I can easily see them updating the models a bit with a higher poly count.

And it'd still need to be updated. No PS2 game is HD quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back