• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep: Final Mix Playthrough Journal

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
During all of this, I used a Sliding Dash right outside of the Queen's castle in Dwarf Woodlands to get to an area that I would normally need Doubleflight for. That chest contained Fission Firaga. So from there, I leveled up both that and Crawling Fire and then melded those commands in order to get the game breaker (as confirmed by the developers themselves) that is Mega Flare.

And it's not as though Fission Firaga is that hard to grab, either. To make it, you need Fira and Aeroga, or Firaga and Aerora (or Firaga and Aeroga, if you're feeling wasteful). You'll learn Fire within the first few worlds, if you're Ven you start with Aero, and if you're not Ven, you could win it off command board. Okay, I don't like using Command Board to get commands early, but it's added to the shop after three worlds no matter what!

By the time you reach Radiant Garden, all three characters could, if you wanted to, Mega Flare your way to the end of the game.

This poor, poor broken system. You really are not supposed to know what to do, but it's too late!

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I was pretty sad Blizzard or Thunder didn't get the love fire got in advanced commands.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I was pretty sad Blizzard or Thunder didn't get the love fire got in advanced commands.

Me too, and Aero too considering it's tied to Ven. Oh, there are a few, and you're right that Blizzard and Thunder are at the bottom of the pile, but Ven just seems left out.

I hope you're happy kuraudo, I just wrote a mini-essay for my blog on critical reception to video game difficulty thanks to your early Mega Flaring.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Me too, and Aero too considering it's tied to Ven. Oh, there are a few, and you're right that Blizzard and Thunder are at the bottom of the pile, but Ven just seems left out.

Since I got most of the commands in the game, deep freeze is the highest level blizzard spell right? That or triple blizzard which is a very poor showing for Blizzard. Thunder has I think Thunder shot which Aqua uses which I like but it's not great. Aero has the cool fire tornado attack but again it's due to how much attention fire got from the developers.(Might also explain their love for Axel but I digress...)

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Since I got most of the commands in the game, deep freeze is the highest level blizzard spell right? That or triple blizzard which is a very poor showing for Blizzard. Thunder has I think Thunder shot which Aqua uses which I like but it's not great. Aero has the cool fire tornado attack but again it's due to how much attention fire got from the developers.(Might also explain their love for Axel but I digress...)

Don't forget Glacier! Glacier = Deep Freeze + Triple Blizzaga, after all. Glacier is cool, too o3o and Blizzard got lots of love because of Triple Blizzaga, Ice Barrage, Deep Freeze, Glacier..that's a lot for Blizzard. But Fire definitely has the most eeveelutions evolved forms: Triple Firaga, Crawling Fire, Firaga Burst, Fission Firaga, Dark Firaga, Raging Storm and almighty Mega Flare. Can't deny that flames look awesome, and can't deny that players love setting things on fire... even better with a huge explosion.
I think we got...
Fire -----> Mega Flare
Aero -----> Tornado
Blizzard --> Glacier
Thunder -> Thundaga Shot
Magnet and Zero Gravity --> Transendence
...as best Ultimate commands.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

I hope you're happy kuraudo, I just wrote a mini-essay for my blog on critical reception to video game difficulty thanks to your early Mega Flaring.

That sounds like an interesting read, actually. Could you perhaps post a link in here somewhere?

I know that the regular Tornado is a devastating attack when used appropriately and IIRC, Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment is weak to that particular attack as well.

But yeah, I agree that it's really sad that the other elements got the shaft in regards to high tier spells.

Don't forget Glacier! Glacier = Deep Freeze + Triple Blizzaga, after all. Glacier is cool, too o3o and Blizzard got lots of love because of Triple Blizzaga, Ice Barrage, Deep Freeze, Glacier..that's a lot for Blizzard. But Fire definitely has the most eeveelutions evolved forms: Triple Firaga, Crawling Fire, Firaga Burst, Fission Firaga, Dark Firaga, Raging Storm and almighty Mega Flare. Can't deny that flames look awesome, and can't deny that players love setting things on fire... even better with a huge explosion.
I think we got...
Fire -----> Mega Flare
Aero -----> Tornado
Blizzard --> Glacier
Thunder -> Thundaga Shot
Magnet and Zero Gravity --> Transendence
...as best Ultimate commands.

Quake is a pretty good magic attack, too.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
That sounds like an interesting read, actually. Could you perhaps post a link in here somewhere?

Sure, no problem! It's meant to be a part of a larger Kingdom Hearts franchise retrospective I'm starting soon, but since I won't be getting to BBS for a while...

https://marathonrecaps.wordpress.co...iculty-aka-mega-flare-ruins-everything-again/

Sorry about the dust. I wanted a place to hold my gaming writeups in one place, so the site itself is new, with articles still going up.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Sure, no problem! It's meant to be a part of a larger Kingdom Hearts franchise retrospective I'm starting soon, but since I won't be getting to BBS for a while...

https://marathonrecaps.wordpress.co...iculty-aka-mega-flare-ruins-everything-again/

Sorry about the dust. I wanted a place to hold my gaming writeups in one place, so the site itself is new, with articles still going up.

Wow, this was an excellent article! I liked the discussion on the walkthroughs and how people had different opinions as to how games should design their games with that in mind.

Keep up the good work, man. I'd like to see more.

"There's always a way." - Aqua, Final Episode

Player Character: Aqua
Difficulty Level: Critical Mode
Current Level: 43
Current Commands: Mega Flare, Thunder Surge, Thunder Surge, Seeker Mine, Curaga, Curaga, Curaga

As it turns out, I ended up playing like mad to finish the game, so not only is this playthrough going to include Aqua's story, but it will also include the Final and Secret Episodes as well.

So I went to the Olympus Colosseum and blazed through that world as well as Deep Space and Neverland. While in Neverland, I managed to max out most of the abilities that I'd need for the upcoming episodes (though not quite for the Super Bosses). I took down Vanitas after he broke Ven's old wooden blade and then headed off to Destiny Islands for some slight dramatic irony in regards to Sora keeping Riku away from the darkness.

Once that was over, Aqua comes across an exhausted Mickey and immediately takes him to Yen Sid's tower. Once there, she discovers to her horror that Master Eraqus is essentially dead and that Terra and Xehanort had a hand in it. Aqua immediately heads to the Keyblade Graveyard and confronts Terra about it. Ven appears and asks that if anything were to happen, they'd put an end to him.

However, Xehanort shows up with Vanitas and Aqua and Ven are eventually separated from Terra. Braig shows up out of nowhere to taunt the two. Aqua is baited and promptly beats him down only for Vanitas to use a sneak attack on her. When she regains consciousness, she and Mickey fight off Venitas. They emerge victorious, but are swept away due to the Chi-blade going haywire.

Aqua wakes up to discover that Ven's heart has essentially been broken and has left. She then brings him back to the Land of Departure and, after turning it into Castle Oblivion, she then leaves to find Terra. She stumbles upon Terranort in Radiant Garden and the two eventually fight. However, during the battle, Terra begins to fight back and manages to lock his heart away. Aqua gives chase and eventually is forced to let go of her keyblade armor and gives it to Terranort. While she sinks into the Realm of Darkness, he is discovered by Ansem the Wise...

Aqua nearly despairs and almost lets the darkness make her fade, but is saved by Deus ex Machina Ven and Terra's keyblades. She then smiles and says, "There's always a way."

Sora, meanwhile, has accepted Ventus in his heart when the latter was exhausted from the battle against Vanitas.

Then, in the Secret Episode, I was overjoyed to be fighting Heartless again. I tackled the Hunter in the Dark and then lamented the fact that we're probably not going to get a Birth by Sleep: Volume II.

I'm sure that I will have more to do here, but I'm going to take a small break from this game for now. Until then...

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Wow, this was an excellent article! I liked the discussion on the walkthroughs and how people had different opinions as to how games should design their games with that in mind.

Keep up the good work, man. I'd like to see more.

Thanks very much! Sorry for the late reply.

I'm sure that I will have more to do here, but I'm going to take a small break from this game for now. Until then...

Are you going after the superbosses, or the Trophies, or something in between? Good luck with whichever!

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Thanks very much! Sorry for the late reply.

Are you going after the superbosses, or the Trophies, or something in between? Good luck with whichever!

I'll get into these whenever I feel like it. Right now, I'm taking a break with Kingdom Hearts and playing Final Fantasy VII (I just cleared the first disc last night). I'll definitely get back to it here since I still have a lot that I need to do, especially as Terra since I didn't clear any of the Command Board missions in the Mirage Arena as him like I did with Ventus and Aqua.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Ladies and Gentlemen, STATUS REPORT:

Player Character: Terra
Current Level: 44
Current Commands: Ars Solum, Sonic Blade, Aerial Slam, Thunder Surge, Thunder Surge, Curaga, Curaga

So, after some personal hiccups, I was able to beat the Hades Paradox Cup just a few days after handing Sephiroth the Black Materia and -

Oh wait, that's right. This is the Birth by Sleep: Final Mix Playthrough Journal.

Welp, I finally decided to make due on my promise to tackle some of the optional stuff in the game. I decided that no matter what order I did things, I needed to at least beat all of the Command Boards in the Mirage Arena as Terra seeing as his was the only one of the three that I haven't done. Anyway, I was able to beat most of the boards, although I had to retry on the Deep Space Board. I should note that I don't know all of the names of the boards, so if there is a discrepancy there, you'll know why. I also decided to use my phone to play music from Smash 4 to remedy the tedium of it all. Thus far:

Land of Departure Board: Ground/Underground Theme (Super Mario Brothers)
Royal Board: Underground Theme (Super Mario Land)
Deep Space Board (First Attempt): Ballad of the Goddess/Ghirahim's Theme (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Deep Space Board (Second Attempt): Gerudo Valley Remix (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Disney Town Board: Full Steam Ahead (The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks)
Skull Board: Gourmet Race (Kirby Superstar)

Probably the most surprising thing about all of this is that in all of these attempts, Captain Dark appeared only a grand total of once. I was able to pawn him off to Stitch in my second attempt and win that way. Captain Justice, predictably, hasn't appeared at all.

As for that diddlying Peter Pan, I decided that every time I landed on the special block, I would place him on my most expensive square so that I can take all of the money that I lost from having him inconvenience me. Oddly enough, I only had to attempt this once which is weird compared to the numerous times I had to retry as Aqua to win.

I will hopefully get the rest of the boards done for Terra tonight. Perhaps then, I'll tackle some of the races. I still have to unlock all of the others so, that is definitely going to take a little while.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Current Level: 44
Current Commands: Ars Solum, Sonic Blade, Aerial Slam, Thunder Surge, Thunder Surge, Curaga, Curaga

As of now, I no longer have to do the Command Boards for Terra. Now I'm a little more concerned with the oh so lovely Rumble Races. Aside from the initial one that I needed to do to advance the plot for Terra, I haven't touched any of the courses since trying to get to Arena Level 30 for Aqua on the PSP version of Final Mix so I could fight Armor of the Master and No Heart. I distinctively remember the last course for Aqua being utter hell if you didn't memorize it and learn how to properly drift. I'm trying to brace myself for the issues that I may run into there. Thing is, I still have yet to unlock all of the other courses aside from the second which seems to unlock automatically after completing the first course in Disney Town.

At any rate, since I completed the last two boards for Terra last night, here's the rundown:

Hunny Pot Board: Mega Man 2 Medley (Mega Man 2)
"Secret" Board: Menu Ver. 2 Remix (Super Smash Bros Melee)

For the Hunny Pot Board, I finally managed to get Captain Justice to appear...by having Tigger trigger him. What I decided to do from there was to abuse my magic cards and steal him away from Tigger and let him give me more GP and spaces. For the "Secret" Board, I decided that I wanted to listen to the Menu Ver. 2 Remix from Melee instead since I originally used the Final Destination Ver. 2 Remix from Smash 4 for Ven and Aqua.

So, that's that for now. Hopefully by the time I update again, I'll have at least completed one or two of the races.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

Current Level: 45
Current Commands: Arial Slam, Arial Slam, High Potion x5 (used for 6 slots)

Ugh.

Well, I've got some good news and bad news. We'll start with the good news for the sake of doing things in sequential order.

So last night, I attempted to get all of the cups. Not only did I get all of the cups, but I even managed to beat all of them in the required time needed to increase my Arena Level. The last one was incredibly ironic since I always had the hardest time with Aqua in the PSP version, yet cleared it in one go as Terra in the PS3 version. Even more ironic is the fact that I actually lost that particular race but still got the level up since I completed the circuit in less than 5 minutes (it's actually fairly simple when you know where to go and how to drift, but only after the fact).

After that, I tackled some of the Mirage Arena battles. Treasure Tussle, A Time to Chill and Copycat Crisis were fairly easy, but the one that came after Copycat Crisis gave me some trouble since I didn't have the best deck on me.

And now for the ballflicker. Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment as Terra.

Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment as Terra.

You want to know what hurts the most? What REALLY infuriated me more than anything else? TWICE, I managed to get Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment down to ONE health point. Unfortunately, the game seems to operate under Kingdom Hearts II logic in that finishers must be used in order for him to die. Right before I could get him down, he would somehow get me down to one health and then blindside me. I've had the order down pat, too. When the battle begins, enter into Shotlock and unleash a fully loaded Sonic Shadow (heh heh, I see what they did there). From there, use Arial Slam (preferably using Chaos Ripper since you're going to be more geared toward offense when fighting him as Terra) and the most opportune moments. When Vanitas enters into his shotlock, attack him and then use an Arial Slam right when he finishes. Lather, rinse, repeat. I was at it for three f***ing hours and I STILL didn't take him down. It really sucks since Terra has unquestionably the worst dodge in the entire game, so avoiding certain attacks is next to impossible.

Ah well. I guess I'll keep on trying.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
And now for the ballflicker. Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment as Terra.

V a n i t a s' L i n g e r i n g S e n t i m e n t as TERRA ♥.

Just:
imhappyplz.gif
lovely~ simply lovely you got there

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Just:
imhappyplz.gif
lovely~ simply lovely you got there

Yeah, it's actually very fitting somehow. XD

I've actually been scouring the internet for different ways to take him down. I ended up using the Arial Slam idea because that was one of the more prominent methods, but I'm beginning to think that it'd be better if I took the same approach to him like I did with Young Master Xehanort in the same game: spamming the crap out of Thunder Surge. More to the point, it's the method that will most likely eliminate the problem that I had last night where I was unable to defeat him despite him only having one hit point left.

Also, the way that this guy begins the battle is too damn funny not to share. "There's no-"

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
The problem I had with the Aerial Slam strategy was the fact that, after landing the first and perhaps the second hit too successfully, you are falling for some seconds, until you reach the ground. That was the moment Vanitas caught me off-guard so many times, telling me "Suffer!" and I was like " I'm on it! ;w; "
Yes, interrupting that first battle quote is the only safe moment you can land first attacks on him. I wouldn't laugh if I were in your place, not with this boss xD All the other moments, besides when he does his Shotlock, mean taking risks..
Never tried fighting him with Thurder Surges, though o.o

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
^ Actually, it's funny you mention the problem with the Arial Slam because that's one of the biggest things that kept killing me. I would often get blindsided because I registered that third/fourth hit meaning that he'd always hit me from behind which would either kill me or leave me needing to heal whereupon he'd kill me afterwards.

In regards to the Thunder Surges, I should have been a bit more specific. I only need to spam it whenever Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment has entered into his Shotlock. The rest of the time, I'm just hitting, blocking and dodging like a madman.

Anyway...

Current Level: 45
Current Commands: Thunder Surge, Potion x5 (used for 6 slots)

Welp, it took me many hours (at least three nights worth) and many chances for me to experience premature baldness, but I FINALLY DID IT! I BEAT VANITAS' LINGERING SENTIMENT/WILL/SPIRIT/THINGAMAJIG LAST NIGHT!!!

Holy crap, did this take me forever, but once I finally figured out what it was that I really needed to do, it only took me an hour to really get it right. My biggest mistake initially was thinking that the Arial Slams would be able to save me from above. This was technically true...until it ran out and I was left in the air for about a whole second which is more than enough for him to get attacked and/or killed. So from there, I equipped Thunder Surges instead. However, I was still losing, so upon a little further research, I realized that I would be better off forsaking my one revenge technique (Payback Fang, I think it was called) and replaced it with Arial Recovery instead. This ensured that I didn't die accidentally using the Payback attack and getting hit by the X-shaped attack instead (which usually killed me).

So here's the lowdown. I used Chaos Ripper for my Keyblade. I would then start the battle by dashing and immediately attacking him. From there, I either dodge his attacks or go into Shotlock and use Sonic Shadow to completely forgo the Kagebushin no Jutsu attacks one attack where he summons makeshift copies of himself to attack me. Whenever there was an instance where I felt he would just strike (relatively) normally and/or when he decided to spam that attack and disappear only to attack thing again, I just block and use Counter Hammer for great damage. From there, if I had filled up the gauge, I would use a well timed finisher (in this case, Explosion). Finally, when he enters into his Shotlock, THAT is when I finally spam the Thunder Surges. In fact, it was a Thunder Surge during his use of that one Shotlock that ensured my victory.

Speaking of which, lo and behold:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

So yeah, one Super Boss down!

I might take down another couple of Matches before even attempting to defeat the Mysterious Figure/Trollenort Young Master Xehanort. I'm also probably going to get Rhythm Mixer while I'm at it, too.

EDIT: OK, pictures are in. If they're not there still, I may need to resize them.

Last edited:

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Aww, the photos are broken :'(
trololol, Kagebushin no Jutsu xD
Aerial Slam doesn't work for all people... You were better out without it, like was I, it seems
Congrats, fellow gamer! You survived... Terra's awful dodge! oh, and also Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment... but yeah! you survived Terra's awful dodge! xD

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Aww, the photos are broken :'(
trololol, Kagebushin no Jutsu xD
Aerial Slam doesn't work for all people... You were better out without it, like was I, it seems
Congrats, fellow gamer! You survived... Terra's awful dodge! oh, and also Vanitas' Lingering Sentiment... but yeah! you survived Terra's awful dodge! xD

I only just noticed that now. I may have to upload them onto somewhere else (maybe my DeviantArt account that I still have yet to use for whatever reason) and see if I can get them back here sometime next week.

Anyway, thanks. Terra's awful dodge is just the worst. I had a hell of a time dodging Young Master Xehanort's attacks last night...

Anyway...

Current Level: 49
Current Commands: Thunder Surge x4. Curaga x4

I was able to use this setup to beat not only the Keeper's of the Arena, but Villain's Vendetta as well. Upon obtaining the Ultima Cannon from the former, I was able to decimate the Iron Imprisoners in the latter easily enough. Occasionally, I would get ready to fire, but the Iron Imprisoner would sink underground or hit me just a fraction before which prompted me to cry "D'oh, I missed!" With some patience and luck (the latter due to Terra's downright horrible dodge), I was able to win the day-er, I mean night. It was night when I beat him and was in between homework assignments.

Unfortunately, I still need to get all of the GP/medals/whatever in order to fight the Armor of the Master. Once I've done all of those, I can finally tackle No Heart and (hopefully) get past his key unlike in the PSP version.

Also, on a side note, I thought I'd head back to the Land of Departure to test myself against Young Master Xehanort for the first time since I beat him by the skin of my teeth as Aqua on the PSP. I wanted to see how well I did.

To put it bluntly, I only knocked three quarters of his first (out of four) health bars down before he got me.

D'oh, I missed!

EDIT: Here are some pictures from all of that.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Upload them on deviantArt's sta.sh, I always use that, it's simple and keeps the files forever~
I'm sad that I don't have the Final Mix version of BBS, no Monstro, Armor of the Master and No Heart for me........ Oh well
The Mirage Arena foghts are easy if your level is high enough. And by high enough I mean any level over 10 xD
Have you ever tried doing a Level 1 run? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back