• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts: best to worst?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korai

Awards
I can't decide wether kh1 or bbs is my favorite, I actually like the command deck. I will say that there are a lot of useless commands, but in bbs I think it worked quite nicely in terms of command melding and getting abilities from them. The shotlock was really nice, strong enough that I used it a lot, but not so easy to use in boss fights that it makes them too easy. Kh1 has a nice balance of using attacks and spells, but like the useless commands, there were a lot of spells that I never ended up using, like fire and aero, but I guess that comes down to a matter of personal style and only having so many slots in the shortcuts lol.

CoM is a pretty good one imo. Most people hate on the card system, but if you really take the time to learn how it works, it's not so bad. It was fun finding a balance between playing it as an action game and playing it as a card game. Do I dodge roll or go for a zero card? Regular attacks or sleights? I think people who complain about the card system were just unable to find that balance.

Re:Coded is really good. The first time I played it I thought it was so so, but when I replayed it and really got into the keyblades and accessories and stat matrix I really enjoyed it. I personally like the command deck, so that was another plus for me, there were a lot of good commands in that one.

I haven't played KH2 enough to pass judgement. The gameplay seems a little bland to me, but I tend to play it more like KH1, I ought to replay it and really get into the drive forms and including spells in my combos. I don't like the ability progression, it moves reeeeally slowly at times.

Im really not a big fan of DDD. I love the story and I enjoy the command deck, but the Dream Eaters are bs. Getting temporary abilities from them is so frustrating, and in order to get essential abilities like second chance or once more you basically have to finish the game before those dream eaters are even available. The reality shifts were annoying, and I get what they were trying to do by nerfing dodge roll trying to stop people from spamming it, but I feel that they did it a little too much, it made some boss fights really annoying like rinzler where you now have to block every three seconds, and with captain Pete where it becomes impossible to dodge those sun/moon things. The dream eaters are almost totally useless in combat, the only pluses being the abilities they occasionally give you and soras linking with them giving a few moments of invincibility while commands recharge. Rikus linking with them is actually a hinderence for me at least because he can never finish any of those extra long combos because the enemies retaliate too soon. Plus the dream eaters are pretty lame designs for most of them, all rainbowy, very few are actually intimidating compared with heartless nobodies and unversed.

Days is definitely my least favorite. The panel system was really annoying to me. I hated carrying around a limited number of spells as if they were items, and the game was just so low quality visually. With re:Coded that was okay because the game was so fun to make up for it, but the gameplay for days just got so repetitive. Emblem missions were boring, heart collection got monotononous, and following Pete around got old after three screens. At least the camera controlled better than in re:coded. I will say that I loved the story, but that's about it. The multiplayer was meh, and I never had anyone to play with (I got the game in 2009 and did find anyone to play with until 2014!) But the story is great, and I love it in the form of the movie in the 1.5 ReMIX

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
1. Dream Drop Distance
2. Birth by Sleep
3. 358/2 Days
4. II
5. RE:coded
6. I
7. Chain of Memories

i don't value one game over another particularly excluding DDD and COM. i put them in order of enjoyment, which is relative to the first time i played them.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Thinking I did this before but made a bad list. Oh well, I'll just do it again.

1. Kingdom Hearts
2. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (Aqua is the only reason)
3: Kingdom Hearts II
4. Kingdom Hearts COM
5. KH DDD

Haven't played Coded or Days, so I can't say anything bout that.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Hrm, looking back on this, I think my opinion's changed a little bit.

1. KHII FM- So yeah, this game has its major flaws, but the enjoyment that I felt was real.

2. DDD- Yes, the time travel made my head spin, but at that point I was so used to utter confusion that it didn't bother me too much. Other than that, I think people give this one way too much flak.

3. KH1 FM- This game has a different feel to it than the others. Maybe it's the lack of absurdly complicated plot.

4. Re:Coded- It was fun to play. It didn't make much sense when I first played it, but the Castle Oblivion sections now... sheesh. They genuinely hit you in the feels. Watching those scenes in the 2.5 movie really drove that home.

5. Days- Baised all the way to Helheim. Please don't kill me.

6. BBS- The game felt like a bit of a drag at times. Maybe it's because I played DDD before it, so the gameplay felt like a stiffer earlier version. Maybe it was going through the worlds three times. Maybe it was how stupid all the good guys were. Or maybe it was those f*cking bossfights at the end. SCREW YOU, TERRANORT! AAAARGH

7. Re:CoM- The story is so good, but the gameplay is so bad. I mean, it's not so much the cards as it is how much of a BORING SLOG each "world" turned out to be. Whoo, more rectangular rooms of nothingness. Isn't nothingness Xemnas' thing? Anyways, I'd rewatch the cutscenes, but I'm not excited by the thought of actually replaying it.

All the games had fricking amazing music, though. Which puts every one of these a spot above most video games that I've played.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Sadly leaving Chi out of this, even though I've come to love that story and game an insane amount lately.

So, as it stands, I think I'm going to separate my list into categories. I just can't define these in overall terms, it seems.

So starting with Story:

Kingdom Hearts
Chain of Memories
Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Hearts II
358/2 Days
Coded (I will say that I hate putting Coded so low. I LOVE the ending of the game--and it has the best dialogue and some of the best characterization this series has ever seen--I just sadly prefer some of the others before it.)
Dream Drop Distance

(Once upon a time... I would have put Days before KHII, actually. I can never get around vanilla KHII's execution. It just falls so much in my eyes, and it just feels like it tries too hard. It also feels forced. Finding a way to make all the lines from ASAS fit into the game doesn't seem like it was the best idea to me. The game doesn't feel natural with them. BUT now that I've played KHIIFM I prefer its story execution over Days, but only because of the Final Mix additions added.)

Gameplay:

Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (note that I say Final Mix here. That makes all the difference. If I was counting just vanilla KHII, it would probably be towards the bottom of this list. LOL.)
Birth by Sleep (Birth by Sleep or BbSFM)
Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts (KHI or KHIFM, though probably the latter)
Re:Coded
Chain of Memories
358/2 Days (Chain of Memories and Days are pretty close, tbh)

Overall feelings I have for the games:
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II (Final Mix especially)
Birth by Sleep
358/2 Days
Chain of Memories (I should note that Days and CoM are pretty much tied here, though)
Dream Drop Distance
Coded

...Anyway, these are what my lists are. Or pretty close to them, I think. I flip-flop from time to time. -shrugs-

Edit: Okay, so I guess I've decided that KHIIFM is my favorite game overall. Definitely not for story, but with everything else in that game put into consideration, it's probably that one. Followed up by BbSFM, most likely (also not for story--as even though I do love BbS', KHI's will always be my favorite--but still). But if we're just talking pure nostalgia, and the good feelings and memories the game provides me (and the story!), it's most definitely KHI.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Will redo my personal list after replaying through all of them again, Won't give reasoning until then, but as it stands now:
1. KHII
2. BBS
3. DDD
4. Days
5. Re:COM (and original COM as well)
6. Re:Coded
7. KH1

Muke

whatever
Awards
I don't know if I already did a list...
But thanks to the HD Remixes, I've got a new list!

1. KH II
2. BbS
3. DDD
4. Re:CoM
5. Re:Coded
6. KH I
7. Days

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Well, I haven't played the Final Mixes or DDD yet, until I get a PS3 and PS4. But for the moment my list goes: 1) KHI 2) KHII 3) Birth By Sleep 4) Days 5) Re:Chain of Memories 6) Re:coded Well, the reason Re:coded is at the bottom of the list for me, instead of say, Days, is that I genuinely enjoyed Days. Re:coded had a good story and gameplay, but at the same time it felt a bit too... game-y? Yeah. It felt too much about challenges instead of exploring and battling. Almost like "Arcade Kingdom Hearts" as opposed to an epic entry in a series I love. Especially considering none of the worlds were actually new. That's just my 2 cents though. The reason I ENJOYED Days, is because I had the luck of playing it before KHII. So the story hit hard. And made KHII all that much better because of it. That and moving from KHI to CoM to Days, then KHII, was a better gameplay path as well.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
1. KH1
2. KH2
3. BbS
4. 3D
5. CoM (GBA version)
6. 358/2 Days
7. re:CODED

Venx

1. KH II - There are only a few things I would change, but no game is perfect.

2. BBS - I liked the mechanics, the worlds (except for deep space, even tho I love stitch) and NoHeart is just the best bossfight in the series.

3. DDD - To be honest, I played it when it came out and then never again. I can't remember everything, but I won't play it again until 2.8. But I still liked the game and most of the worlds.

4. Days - Good story, meh gameplay, but for a DS game from 2009 it's still playable.

5. KH I - Can't put this higher on my list, because of the awful controls and gameplay. I like the ending, but there's nothing else I love about this game. I'm happy they fixed much of the problems in 1.5, but it's still not a good game in my opinion.

6. CoM/:Re - Cardsystem. I really like the story, but I can't enjoy this part like the others, because of the cardsystem. It's annoying to farm random cards to open random door to get into the next random room.

7. Re:Coded - What can I say, no story that's connected to the mainstory at all, no special gameplay and again I get to play KH1 again, like in CoM.

xGlaedr

Haven't played 3D so I won't include it
1. KHII
2. BbS
3. KH
4. Days (yeah I know, wierd)
5. CoM
6. Re:Coded

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I realized my previous list was here, and now that my opinions has changed, I've decided to create a new one.

1. KH1
2. Recoded
3. CoM
4. KH2
5. Birth By Sleep
6. KH3D

(Haven't played Days but it's story is on the bottom of the list, ugh.)

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Hm, this is interesting, wasn't expecting to see Coded do so bad on so many lists. Anyway:

1. KH2FM
2. KH1
3. Re:Coded
4. DDD
5. BBS
6. Re:CoM
7. Days

Muke

whatever
Awards
I have a new list now.

1. KH 2
2. DDD
3. Re:Coded
4. BbS
6. Days + Re:CoM

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
1. KH2FM
2. BBSFM
3. KH1FM & ReCoM
4. DDD
5. Days
6. ReCoded

Days had a great story but was AWFUL in game play. Never played ReCoded but from what I have seen both Story and Gameplay wise it did not wow me. The only thing I liked about it were its two secret endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back